Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If re-wiring a house would you put switches in? I've a load of Hue stuff, need a full rewire. Wondering should I bother with traditional switches when we currently use Hue switches most places.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think it’s good to still have standard switches as it means you can completely isolate certain lights that you know you won’t use for a while…..

All 11 of my dimmer switches live right next to a standard switch, and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest….

As I have Solar PV now I’m also very conscious of power usage (however little), so if/when going away for a while I’ll always knock off the hue lights that aren’t on timers etc…..

then if you don’t have manual switches every light fitting in the house will be live with no way to isolate it unless at the consumer unit, but then you’re knocking off whole sections of the house….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I put switch covers that hold the remotes and buttons over all of my switches, they slide up or clip off to access the switches as needed and they look pretty tidy even if a little bulkier than a normal wall switch.

What product(s) do u use, if not the Hue ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I used samotech (originally on amazon but now on their own website) and Iyoki still on amazon. They worked well for me with various types to take one or two buttons or remotes. All of my remotes are the version one.

IYOKI® Pro Hue Switch Cover for Philips Smart Button, Hue Remote Light Switch Plate, 1-Gang (1-Pack) https://amzn.eu/7c2u7uV

https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/sm215-light-switch-cover/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't anyway!

You can knock off lighting circuits at the fuse board if needed. Ditto if I was building new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The hue system has no concept of different types of object, all are just "lights". I suspect that you have added the smart plug to the Kitchen room. If so, that will explain what's happening. Just add the socket to a different, non-existent room to control it in its own.

I would wire the house for traditional switches, for flexibility. You might want to put in a different system, or none at all, in the future. I wold just put in the back plate with the wires connected with a connector block. The version 2 hue switches are designed to screw directly into the backplate, covering it.

I've loads of switches but they're version 1 so I'll need to pick up something to screw onto the backplate that will hold the switches. Anyone know of such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I used sugru to build up in the gap between the normal switch and the base of the v1 hue switch - does the job, neat enough solution. Mind you, i used sugru from the great woodies sugru sale of 2018. think it was about 50c a pack

I linked my sitting room hue lights to an ambilight tv last night (3sided). the 2 hue b22 bulbs work fine with it, but the lightstrip plus shows a dull greyish colour and doesn't change - a quick search online hasn't yielded any results - anyone here have any ideas?

• Advertisement

Some new toys arrived today for the new holiday house in Lithuania..

Small Enrave White Ambience ceiling light for a downstairs bathroom, an outdoor Discover White & Colour Floodlight for a deck/back garden, and I’ve also a Medium Enrave White Ambience ceiling light arriving tomorrow, for the main bathroom upstairs..

I wired both up just to test them, and I have to say the Enrave is a very pretty light…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ablelocks

could anyone recommend a hue compatible indoor motion sensor? (for teenager bedrooms. apparently, turning off a switch or asking the echo to turn off the lights is just too much to ask) The hue ones are expensive, so wondering if there are alternatives

Hi Folks,

Will post this again here as because it's Hue related, might gain more traction in the Hue thread as opposed to the general chat thread;

Looking for tips or advice on a slightly IoT related topic.... Internet/Networking..

We are buying a holiday home, in Lithuania, and I've already a fair amount of Hue lights/bulbs for the house (like here, the whole house will be Hue'd up)

In the new house, we are probably only going to have a local mobile internet dongle that connects to local 3/4/5G network. We were over there during the summer and used her mothers one which seemed fine, and should suffice for our needs....

The issue is these dongles don't have any LAN ports on them, and only have a micro USB plug to power/charge them..... and with the Philips Hue Bridge, Obviously I need a LAN port to plug the bridge into..

Question is could I buy a simple plug in Wifi extender that comes with a built in LAN port, to connect wirelessly to the WiFi network my dongle will broadcast, and then use the LAN port to plug in the Hue Bridge? (And as a bonus I probably get to put out a stronger WiFi signal than the dongle would otherwise broadcast on it's own).

As a side note, will also have a WiFi controlled AC/heating system, as well as a RoboVac, but they should both just connect via WiFi so shouldn't be a concern. I'd maybe add a few IP cameras down the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hopefully I’m getting your question - but why not get a router instead of a dongle and still use a local sim? I have a huawei version of this for a past few years in an area with no fixed line broadband and the 4 LAN ports work perfectly.

This one is unlocked also so should work with any sim. Should be able to get an EU one with an EU plug also?

TP-Link Archer MR200 AC750 733Mbps Dual Band 4G LTE Mobile Wi-Fi Router, SIM Slot Unlocked, No Configuration Required, Removable Wi-Fi Antennas, UK Plug , Black https://amzn.eu/d/ggr6zri

That’s very interesting, I didn’t even know they existed….

so I could get the local sim card, forego the dongle (though it probably comes with the sim card) and just pop the sim into one of these?

Yep! This is a dongle on steroids basically - same idea but in router form. Can pick them up on Amazon handy enough or you might even get one free from whatever company you’re planning to buy the sim from but then again you’re better off with an unlocked version.

Huawei b535 is another one. Huawei make a good few and even 5G ones but 5G ones are pretty dear for not much more speed depending on the area you’re putting it. Should be able to manage it remotely with the relevant app also.

Just found out that Livarno (LIDL) GU10 bulbs are longer than standard ones and will not fit some enclosed fittings. Luckily I had some spare Hue bulbs, or I'd have been in trouble. Might help someone....

For background I was changing the fittings in the kitchen for fire rated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 osiri

I've got 3 colour hue bulbs with the b22 bayonet fitting but I think they are wasted in the main ceiling rose in the bedrooms/living room as the colours are too harsh for a whole room. But I'm not sure where else I can use them. Most table lamps etc seem to come with e27 Edison screw in fitting. Anyone any ideas on a lamp/fitting or shade that would make better use of them as mood lighting or something?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Has anyone made the jump from full hue/hue app compatible lights to wifi smart assistant type lights? I have at least 50 hue lights indoor and outdoor but every time we do a new project the cost annoys me and the only time they interact as a whole is via home and away routines etc. within the house everything is on a routine or sensor and normal switches. Any other control is via google home

considering moving a room or two onto something like deltaco or Philips wiz solution, mostly driven by the hue sensors appearing in google home so looks like shortly will be able to use say an existing Philips sensor to drive outdoor lights that are directly on Wi-Fi via google home routine.

gradually then would replace all the Philips direct routines etc even for the hue bulbs control.

assuming it works, only major downside would be the mesh extension of hue connection from bulb to bulb, but this seems like would only effect garden lights.

You can get bayonette to e27 adaptors in IKEA for 1.50 for a pair, they do add slightly to the overall length though.

For a centre ceiling rose, you really need a shade of sorts or an enclosed fitting to get the most out of them in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I am a big fan of the Hue ecosystem, most of the lights in the house are controlled by them.

Two issues that I have with them are 1) the cost and 2) the "flimsy" feel of their four button lightswitches.

I bought a Sonoff Zigbee "ZBMINI" smart switch that could solve both issues. It was just 16e on Amazon.co.uk, and had the potential to replace both a Hue light and a Hue lightswitch in one go.

You wire it in behind your old light switch backplate. You can control the on/off of the module using your old light switch. You can pair the module to your Hue Hub for use in the Hue ecosystem. One gotcha is that you need a neutral wire behind your light switch, something that many older Irish households will not have.

I was surprised to find that everything worked! 🤗

Excited, I went out and bought their zigbee relay for another project:

Unfortunately, this did not even pair with the Hue hub :-(

I also bought their ZBMINI-L, which is supposed to be the same as their ZBMINI, but not require a neutral wire, making it much more compatible with Irish households.

This paired successfully with the Hue Hub and I was able to turn it on and off in the Hue App.

One issue I noticed that I had to be selective about the bulbs that I had on the same circuit as it. I happened to have an old Philips Hue bulb on the circuit which caused an issue: The light would turn off, but not back on when instructed. I assume this is due to the following: As the module has to neutral wire, it has to extract power parasitically from the live wire: i.e. the live wire has to have some power going through it, even when "off". I assume that the Hue had very little standby current. When I swapped out the bulb for a normal LED bulb it worked fine.

However, and strangely, I found a more serious issue. if I added it to a room in the App, I could not control it by turning on and off all the devices as a room. This meant that I could not control it from Google Home, making it worthless to me 😔

Lastly, i bought the Sonoff Socket relay for 13e.

This worked great with Philips Hue.

In summary, the Sonoff ZBMINI and Sonoff Zigbee socket is great for Philips Hue, but stay away from the relay and the ZBMINI-L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Any go to places for Hue these days?

I have the entire house outfitted over the past few years and am now looking for another outdoor 5m lightstrip. I used to default to Amazon but between Brexit and the few years passing they look to be punitively priced.

Any consensus on good retailers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What are the settings so that the lights don't come on following a power cut? Power came back at about 1am last night. Is it looking at each bulb and the Power On option? Had power loss - stays off or turn back on ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Hue Xmas lights incoming.

$160 for 250 bulbs. Little too rich for my blood. My tree has 3,000 bulbs.

yeah, not for me,

I've 2 strings totalling about 1,600 warm white LED fairly lights, and that's all I'll ever want or need. don't need colour, and don't need flashing/animated....

On a separate note, I've ordered 4 of the large globe filament white ambiance bulbs for a light fitting I just bought for a dining table light...

They were €35 each down from €45 (which is what the giant globes currently cost, but I'll be happy enough with the regular sized ones!

I have 6x GU10 colour spots for the main kitchen area, a light strip for over the top of the kitchen units, and now these 4 white ambience globes in this fitting above the dining table!!!

Fcuk Me fitting out 1 house was expensive enough, but fitting out a second one!!!!

Has anyone come across a reasonably priced power extension for the hue lightstrips, to allow them be installed further from a power source?

Also, has hue sync stopped working for most things for anyone else?

Rte player and netflix aren't causing my.entertainment area to interact anymore. YouTube, games and local files working fine

Just going back to this…

I picked up a refurbished Huawei B535 on Amazon, and they ended up sending me the next version up from it, but it was branded with EE logo and wouldn’t take any of the sims I tried in it…. Got onto them and they started giving me unlock codes, but I couldn’t even get to an unlock page so I boxed it up and sent it back pronto…… I only ordered the Huawei one because it was white and might fit better in the house….

Anyway on Thursday I ordered a TP-Link Archer MR400 on Amazon for about €96 and it arrived this morning. I fired it up with a mobile SIM card and within seconds it was connected to the internet and working as required…. Happy days and cheers for the heads up on 4g routers…

Although it’s black, it’s much smaller & thinner than the Huawei one I had briefly!!

Also picked up 2 B27 White Ambience bulbs for about €33 yesterday to go behind this light…. Couldn’t justify having 2 colour bulbs behind it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 BAABAA96

Quite new to this home automation game but I'm getting addicted. im looking at a pack like the one attached can anyone give me a quick rundown of the pros and cons, or whether there is a better receommendation?

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Smart Light Bulb Starter Kit, 75W - 1100 Lumen [E27 Edison Screw] 3 Bulbs + 2 Smart Buttons, With Bluetooth, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Homekit : Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Advertisement