Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery to end with Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,534 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of, where did the crew sleep in the NX-01; it seemed tiny & the compliment was what? Seems like if ever there was a titular ship from a Trek show with Bunks - it'd be the NX01

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely had bunks. We saw that with crewman Daniels (space time traveller dude)

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remembe seeing some deck plans of the NX, and there was a lot of shared dorms. Only some private quarters for key crewmembers.

Makes you wonder about the state of quarters of a Crossfield Class like Discovery. The quarters we had seen appeared to be spacious (as did a lot spaces on the ship), but the external design seemed to suggest that there was very little available room on the vessel. The Saucer Section had a large chunk missing on the inner track near the bridge, and the secondary hull was just a thin slither with the exception of that silly doorless Shuttle Bay on the bow between the naycell pylons. It should be a lot smaller with Lower Decks style accomodation. Less Galaxy Class cruise-ship, and more "We threw this thing together in a panic to fight the Klingons. You're lucky we even gave you a bed".

But these are the same people who gave us the Tardis turbo-lifts at the end of S3, so I shouldn't hold them up to that standard I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But these are the same people who gave us the Tardis turbo-lifts at the end of S3, so I shouldn't hold them up to that standard I guess.

JFC: right. Never forget:

• Advertisement

At least that is in the 32nd century where TARDIS tech does exist in Star Trek.

A much greater crime was the turbolift fun house they put in the Enterprise is DIS S2

Jesus I absolutely hate this new Blade Runner aesthetic that DIC and PIC have adopted.

I have wondered was this a massive blunder put to the feet of bad communication between the writers & the FX house: you get this instruction of some kind of exciting interstitial of the TurboLife; nobody's a Trekkie, they have 2 days to come up with something; so they read something like "we see the lift swoop through the interior of the Enterprise", and went completely OTT given that was probably the overarching theme of the work in the first place (BIg! Exciting! Loud!)

Not trying to justify it of course, both scenes are clearly an insane destruction of anything even tangential to "canon", but that they whiffed it this spectacularly makes me wonder was it more mistake than intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

That might be an excuse if not for the internet, "Star Trek turbolift" is just one short Google search away. It was more forgivable pre internet like in STV the numbers on the turbolift shaft counting up as they went higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I know I'm contributing to the problem but I'll Hate-Watch it.

Maybe HATE-Watch is bit harsh but "ReallyBoredAndFewUpWithTheLazerFocusOnTheDullestCharacterOnTheShow-Watch isn't as catchy.

I supported it as long as I could. I thought the first season was good up to The Mirror Universe. I DO hate that. I actually enjoyed the Klingons and yer man's acting as Klingon. Enjoyed the Enterprise crew on Season 2 (Let's not forget that Disco gave us SNW for which I AM grateful).

But I and so many others have stated here before, it's the hyper-focus on Burnham that is, for me, the real issue. She really is a Mary Sue. She is such the epitome of one that they should rename it (Ideally in a 3 min monologue while she walks in slow motion with sad eyes and smiling bravely against her loss while her crew smile and worship her as the camera swoops past them at awkward angles)

This is not a Race thing. Sisko was a fantastic character and DS9 is my favourite Trek.

This is not a gender thing. Heaven knows I have problems with neck-beards bemoaning the rise in "females" in Sci-Fi like some mom-basement dwelling Ferengi. They would hate Terminator or Alien/Aliens if made today.

No, it's down to the fact that her character can do no wrong. Every thing she has done has proven to be the correct course of action in the long run. No other characters have any agency or input unless it has at least some input from her. As a result, the remaining background artists (Previously known as crew members) have less and less to do and their writing becomes weaker and weaker:

Culver and Stamits started off as a realistic couple and it was interesting to see how two officers on the same ship handle their work and personal lives. Certainly a lot more interesting than Keiko and MYYYY-ELLLSSSSS. Then they basically descended into overbearing, intrusive, creepy obsessives simply because someone happened to be non-binary.

They basically got rid of Saru. How do you have one of the greatest prosthetic actors in the world on your show and then just get rid of them? Now, whenever he turns up it's to spout versions of "Well, I don't agree but you're the Captain"

Speaking of Captain, one of the only interesting things about Burnham was that she, briefly, initially, WASN'T a high-ranking officer. And was actually mistrusted. Let's get rid of that character trait.

So, I'll contribute to the problem by Hate-Watching. But, at least if I watch it I can update the threads and let people know if it does a 180 degrees (Not likely)

Burnham not only made it to capitan but is now also the Federations version of the Seanad.

Having the leads not be high ranking was a problem though when the plot was all about that person saving the universe. Can't have both.

I skipped season 4 and have zoned out of the second half of 1 and 2 (3 was Covid I was bored) so I'm gonna try 5 only because it's the ending but I doubt I'll make it all the way.

• Advertisement

We've seen with Marvel movies and others that FX houses are routinely overworked & underpaid; can't imagine TV work is any more fun so my theory kinda works from that. These are functional sweatshops - sometimes not far off and operating out of Malaysia and the like - and I doubt the average drone at the render farm has time to Google anything.

Just a theory, obviusly.

It still had to go past the people making the decision on editing and should certainly have been cut.

And then after the funhouse they go and do it a second time with the "great glass elevator" scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Out of all the stupid thing Discovery did, that turbolift thing was absolutely sh1te and completely unforgivable.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Think I remember the Excelsior had bunk rooms that resembled a warship

Yes they did indeed as we see when Tuvok is an Ensign on the Excelsior in the Voyager episode Flashback.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The thing you have to remember with saucer shape is they have HUGE amounts of floor space. NX-01 was not a small ship. Ent-D had 825,000 metres square of floor space, insanely big.

here is the full ship deck by deck layout, its really detailed

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/enterprise-nx-01-deckplans.php

Ship sizes in Star Trek never really made sense anyway. Better to just not think too much about it.

Nicely summed up :)

I myself am not a Hate Watcher. If I dislike a show I will typically stop watching and give my attention to something else. With Discovery I survived up until the end of Season 3 Hope Watching the show. Hoping that they'd nail down the format in Season 3, like previous Trek shows. Hoping that they'd give us interesting characters and concepts while developing the interesting stuff that had already been there. While hoping out of hope that they'd learn their lessons with Burnham and cease making her the singluar focus of everything on the show. But no, I ran out of hope. By the end of Season 3 I had started to view watching Discovery to be more of a chore than entertainment.

I was already kind of done long before Season 3 ended, but the ending itself and Burnhams promotion to Captain made it very clear that this show would not change course nor improve. The teaser trailer for Season 4 sealed the deal for me, I simply couldn't be arsed anymore.

I will not watch Season 5, because I know I won't be entertained by it. Nor am I going to really miss out on important Trek lore, because they don't know how to do that. I will hovever watch the finale. Partly to see if I guessed right, and can actually grasp the final episode without bothering with the Season itself (they don't know how to do arcs). But finally also to see what legacy (if any) they will attempt to stamp onto Trek going forward. My guess is they'll fail. They'll make it big and epic, and full inane speeches from Burnham, but it won't land.

Then we will be left to wonder, how will this show be remembered when it is gone...or will it be forgotten?

As soon as they moved to the 32nd century it got a lot easier to give up on because I didn't even feel like I was watching Star Trek anymore.

Ya they will name drop Q or the Klingons but it has no relation to the other shows and is so far in the future I am very certain someone will come along and make shows filling in the huge time gap that will shred Discovery's canon. You can't make an 8 century gap and not expect people to step on toes with your own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I gave up watching Discovery after season 3. I did try the first episode of Season 4 but as soon as I realised it was going to be all about Micheal again I gave up.

Don't know if I will even bother with season 5. Might just watch the last episode to see what a mess they make of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

It'll be one of a few things I imagine:

Burnham saves the galaxy.

Burnham sacrifices herself to save the galaxy.

Burnham saves the galaxy and disappears off into the unknown, or is sent off to another time period as a result of said saving of the galaxy.

Or

Burnham restores the Federation to its former glory, but even better this time.

Possible surprise ending:

Saru gets a half decent sendoff.

• Advertisement

Imagine if this season actually turns out to be good but it's fate is already sealed.

Also possible yeah, but as you say, no matter what happens it's impossible to undo the damage at this stage. I don't imagine EVER rewatching Discovery, no matter how good an ending it may have.

For me it is, and will remain, an absolute waste of the IP due to abysmal writing. By far, the worst show in the entire franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Worst show? That's still TAS for me.

I'm guessing Burnham and Book are going to have a child and they will make Emissary Sisko look like John the Baptist.

TAS is bad, agreed. But it's got the benefit of being a half century old cartoon....Discovery is a modern big budget TV show, and has absolutely no excuses to even be in the same conversation as TAS. The fact we're even comparing them is alone quite telling.

The trailer is full on with all the things people who don't like Discovery hate. But turned up to 11.

I dropped it when they went to Trill a d brought Burnham and I have no intention of picking it back up

That episode was kind of the beginning of the *very end* for me and this show. I remember watching the setup of that one where we get Cupler giving us the Cold-Opening to the episode proper with his Medical Log and spent a good chunk of the first act building up his relationship with Adria ahead of their arrival to Trill.

If this had been ANY OTHER Trek series (or frankly any other TV Drama), it would have been Cupler who accompanied Adria down to Trill to help out with a very personal (and I guess medical) challenge.

But no, the relationship dynamic comes to a crashing halt when Cupler suddenly recommends that Burnham should be the one who goes planet-side with Adria when they reach Trill. Why? Because she's Micheal F***ing Burnham, that's why! In this version of the Trek Universe the world only turns thanks to the sheer force of Burnham's awesomness. Never mind Cupler's attachment with Adria or obvious help as a Medical Officer. No! Send Micheal!

So by the time we got to the end of the Season, and she was Captain, it was all too clear. I would not enjoy this show anymore. ..and so I have not watched it since.

I'm going to go with a combination answer there:

• Burnham saves the Galaxy,
    • & restores the Federation to its former glory,
    • & is seen to have sacrificed herself,
    • but has really disappeared to parts unknown;
    • ready to pop-up in an otherwise OK Trek-show without warning.

Seriously though, if they do go for "Sacrificing herself to save everyone" they will have actually ticked off one of the final squares on the Lt. Mary Sue Bingo-Card.

Here when I mention "Mary Sue" I am referring to the original Trek fan-fiction character of legend "Lieutenant Mary Sue" who is the namesake of the of the wider used pejorative "Mary Sue".

Lieutenant Mary Sue had the following traits:

• She was unconditionally loved by all on board
    • She was brilliant in all fields despite her age (the character was only 15)
    • She was half-Vulcan (like Spock)
    • Took command of the Enterprise because....well why not?

Starting to look familiar? Burnham is missing one thing which Mary Sue does at the end of the short story.

• She dies due to her attempt to save her crewmates.

I bet you a good chunk they'll try this. It's childish hammy stupid writing, but that's right up their alley it seems. I will be plesantly surprised if they don't try to make her the Greatest Martyr in Trek History!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And, the worst thing is: The original Many Sue short story was written as a parody - As a critique of poor fan-fiction.

It was as if some minor exec was charged with coming up with a new Trek idea. They did a quick Google for Trek forums and saw a post pointing someone to the Mary Sue original on a Star Trek thread. That got a million likes as long-term fans thought it was funny and accurate. This exec saw all the likes, didn't look at the comments (Which would have been along the lines of "Oh man, this is SUCH a good parody of early FF"). Then thought "Hey, Trek fans REALLY like this Mary Sue character. We'll do that. Job done. Phew, that was a tough 30 mins".

Honestly, her character is SO similar that I'm almost 99% sure that's EXACTLY what happened.

• Advertisement

Many of the current top team were fan fic writers. That's why we are getting loads of references to really obscure book stuff like NiVar.

I think it was Michelle Paradise who started out writing Janeway and Chakotay romance fan fics.

Advertisement