Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery to end with Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought edgelord was something to do with that "Forged in Fire" show...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I liked the show well enough, though always felt the last episode or two where they revealed the actual source of the problem was a major let down. 'The Burn' cause... uuuugggghhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

It's generally meant for jokes on the edge of good taste or public acceptability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

I felt this was a persistent problem in Discovery and at least the first 2 season of Picard.

Kind of smacked of not only bad writing, but also bad overall planning of the story arc. They'd always seem to rush to the conclusion in a way that negates the entire season.

• DIS S1: Klingon War! (Resolved last minute by bomb iPad)
    • DIS S2: Mysterious Red Angel! (It's Burnham, because reasons)
    • DIS S3: Warp destoryed, Federation in bits, need to find Starfleet. (Finds Starfleet...barely an inconvience, makes space-kid feel better. Everything fine in last 10 minutes)

I could go on, but you get the idea. They just didn't know how to finish. I am somewhat tempted to watch the final episode of this. By now I know that I don't actually need to watch Season 5 itself since they'll just fill it with the usual nonsense and cram everything plot-related into the end. It will interesting to see if they know how to finish this, or if they are true to form and can't even do a finale right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They're going to rename the Discovery "Enterprise" and end the series with Michael being "the first woman to" deliver the "Space, The Final Frontier..." speech aren't they? 😐

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

She will also be crying. She constantly has tears in her eyes. I heard people calling it Cry Trek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshitsune

I'm more surprised that the show lasted long enough for a season 5. I wonder what will be next for the Star Trek franchise. Will there be a resurgence or will be cursed with bad writers?

Picard S3, SNW and Lower Decks give me some hope that the mistakes made on Discovery have helped them learn for future Trek projects.

Discover really felt like it was supposed to close on Season 3, but I suspect the need to keep their production roster full kept it going past that point. Season 5 wasn’t even supposed to be the finale, and got pushed to be reshot as one. I still think they would have tried for 7 seasons if whatever prompted them to pull it hadn’t happened.

The fact that this got to Season 5 is an insult to Enterprise.

Saw Doug Drexler take a swipe at Discovery (and s1&2 of Picard) today.

Brannon and Braga are on record as not being fans and that they've ditched Roddenberry's vision.

Previous cast members have come out questioning new trek while liking SNW, Picard S3, and even Lower Decks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like this is getting an April 2024 release, for those still watching and wanna see it to the end.

Christ cant remember now but it was one of the Shuttlepod Show interviews.

I, literally, know no one interested in it. It's astounding how it's gone.

It's, honestly, going to be the Poochie of Trek. It'll never be mentioned again, in universe, I feel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet in the article I saw the announcement, it had a myriad of fans declaring how they loved the show, "warts and all", so there are fans. Albeit those seemingly admitting it has flaws, to put it charitably, and are intentionally looking past them all.

There's the idiotic "All Trek is Good Trek" groups too. As if we should be praising the Koala for scraps and all criticism must have an agenda.

No, Discovery was/is just badly written TV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Agreed, the rabidity of certain fans isn't ever an accurtate barometer of the quality of a show. I think it's fair to say in the face of this much - almost widespread - criticism, Discovery isn't simply divisive, it's (objectively?) badly, badly, written.

To be fair, I was that for a while cos I think on balance Discovery had potential. But talk about squandered potential.

Also, we don't know how many younger watchers are coming at Trek from the 2009 onwards and only know Pew Pew Trek? If all you know are superficial thrills Disco might tick your boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Shoog

Great news terrible show.

It definitely has a big following of fans who really love it but what it doesn't seem to have is fans who kinda like it. All the other Treks would be described as at least watchable regardless of your favourite but Discovery is the only one people who don't love it can't stand it.

Fans aren't really a good barometer of a show. A look at the top grossing TV shows will tell you that. I do think the fact that the Discovery team didn't even have enough faith in the show to stop constantly changing it is a very interesting barometer.

Yea, you could almost describe Discovery as Star Trek’s Marmite. It’s one of those things where you have total love or total hatred for it. Although for moderate souls for myself, not «total hatred» but lack of love for the show, and without that love I seem to have no patience for it either. Without patience the mistakes they make are harder to ignore and quicker to irritate.

I also agree that it is telling that they had to keep retooling the show’s concept. This is something they appeared to have nailed down early in the production of previous Trek shows:

• TNG: Essentially TOS, but 100 years later with updated tech.
    • DS9: Political thriller set on a remote outpost.
    • VOY: TOS again, putting a ship in unexplored space, but with a twist of them also trying to get back to Earth.

Discovery on the other hand:

• DIS S1 (Take 1): Antology series of various Trek characters, starting with a mutineer named Burnham
    • DIS S2 (Take 2): Crap, we had to change production staff! How about we just run with our first antology idea for as long as we can? Kay?
    • DIS S2: People like Spock right? Lets make Burnham his sister, then they’ll like her too! Also I suppose a TOS crossover will shut up those compaining fans?
    • DIS S3: Damn it! Alight, how about this, we put the show in the future? Then the fans are happy about canon. Also people are complaining about Burnham being wooden, so lets make her cry alot. Also lets copy the concept of Voyager for very short while.
    • DIS S4: People still don’t like Burnham?! Fine, we’ll make her Captain, then they’ll love her. Bad guy for the season? Emm….guess we could copy V’Ger from TMP?
    • DIS S5 (Take 1): I dunno anymore…they are in a race to find space treasure. Get Burnham to «surf» on the ship or something. If we get her to do dangerous stuff surly they like her then?
    • DIS S5 (Take 2): Cancelled?! Dammit, reshoot stuff to make our stupid space treasure race seem more important to a finale…somehow.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Voyager as a series but can still enjoy individual episodes as I watch it.

They took a serial premise and made it episodic but I still can enjoy it

Disco? Nope, nada, no

I would say that the Marmite is heavily skewed in favour of dislike. I lasted 2.5 seasons and realised I was deluding myself thinking that it would improve.

They made a mistake having the central character be the universe's most important being.

Then made a mistake casting a lead who was out acted by Yeogh, Jones, Issacs, Mount, Peck, Rapp et all. This was compounded by never getting any other bridge crew screen time.

I used to watch Walking Dead and heard that they had cast the lead from it. I didn't even recognise her. The first time I paid attention was her final episode and her monologue sent warning bells ringing.

It was basically Burnham and was just as bad in TWD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

I think a lot of the most ardent defenders now like it just because of the LGBTness of it all.

Also it's style and feel is copying a very popular teen sci-fi/super hero template. My experience of speaking to Discovery fans would lead me to believe they are all American and have a very different idea of what is a good TV show to my tastes.

It didn't even do that very well: at least the standard CW esque shows had a semblance of structure, momentum and story arcs to work through - Discovery was too much of a mess to have any of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,831 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's crazy, I keep forgetting this show exists. Like, i'm always conscious of new Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks releases, and then every so often see a mention of Discovery, and it's like "oh yeaaah, that's a thing". It just feels so separate, off in its own little corner disconnected from everything else.

As I was saying earlier the fact they couldn't even settle on a style was a bad sign. Even the JJ movies that I don't even count when talking about Star Trek knew what they wanted to be.

I feel all Star Trek is like that now. I love LD and like SNW but my brain doesn't in any way connect them to the universe that the TOS movies and Bermantrek was in which would be "my" Star Trek.

Obviously LD references the old shows but I don't start watching TNG and thinking people sleep in corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My head canon put its like Galaxy Class ships are top of the line in luxury. So even ensigns and cadets have rooms (maybe 2-4 peeps), so no sleeping in corridors. Smaller more cramped ships like Ceritos have sleepy corridors.

Think I remember the Excelsior had bunk rooms that resembled a warship.

The aesthetics in LD is very much in line with TNG and DS9/ VOY, instantly recognisable. They they are great job with SNW, keeping the old look with a modern twist on it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

In fairness, the California class is a demonstrably smaller ship class; gotta sleep folk somehow and bunks in corridors is as good a way as any, versus the ostensible portable hotels and ambassadorial institutions that would be the Galaxy class. Heck even then I'd be surprised if Ensigns didn't have some degree of "hardship" in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It would have made more sense to me if they had military style bunk dorms maybe 6 to a room, gender divided rather than corridor bunks. I suspect tours of duty on Cali class are much shorter than on other classes of ship.

Something like submarine quarters. That was the aesthetic that the Defiant and the NX-01 was going for.

Advertisement