Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, but how can you be sure?! Very difficult to not be indoctrinated these days!

The problem is, the opposite of woke is populist, and the populist crowd (of which there are a few in this thread) have most certinaly been indoctrinated: they've just been indoctrinated by a different source.

(Not for one second saying that that's the case with you - don't now you well enough to say)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

"Populism" is just a reaction to seeing an attempt to redefine the world around them, left to themselves "populists" are just people that otherwise would just be getting on with their lives, working, raising kids, enjoying their families and living their lives in their communities. This glob called woke appears where people are left scratching their heads, is it just a "dog chasing a car" by a small minority of people unhappy with some part of their make up?, or could this group actually manage to invert societal values? You cant really be indoctrinated to want society to evolve through normal systems, "populism" is not really the opposite of woke, its more like the brakes one would hope to see against any radical movement. Its credo if it had one ought to be "too far!"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Populism is more a rebellion in what people feel is forced up on them without their control, usually by governments, but in this case a so-called social elite. The fact that the media and government are perceived to be accepting and bringing in laws (e.g. incitement to hatred act) is just an example of what they feel scared of. When you phrases like "the woke media...." or "the woke government..." you know it's populism.

Granted, yes - if is certainly a reaction to a redefinition, but most counter positions are. Woke itself is a reaction to redefining what they think is an unjust social society world around them.

I'm not sure what you mean by, ' "This glob called woke appears where people are left scratching their heads, is it just a "dog chasing a car" '.

as in the dog never catches the car, woke would never get its way fully because it would eventually go "too far" and the public would just reject it outright by voting it out. Take something reasonably straight forward like college admissions in the US, which managed by woke selection methods to discriminate against Asians , at some stage there was going to be a rebellion against it because it was just unfair, you cant "fix" something by creating another inequity especially a racist based one.

A non woke way of dealing with the issue of better access to colleges would be to pressure the colleges to invest their vast wealth into education in deprived areas with some form of model schools and create a pathway. That is something that would be in line with a normal sense of fair play while not punishing one group to facilitate another

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Populism is just the cynical exploitation of difficulties to peddle a simplistic narrative for expedient political gain. Donald Trump is the cardinal example. Lots of pandering to racists and cruel morons ending up in advising people to shoot up on bleach if they got covid.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Yeah, thought that's what you meant (it was the "glob" bit that threw me off) - the dog/car analogy is more if they did get it, they wouldn't know what to do with it or how to resoelve the problems it would subsequently cause, but I think we're more or less on the same page here.

Again, that's just an aspect of it. Both populism and woke existed long before Donald Trump showed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I didn't say otherwise. I'm just giving my own definition of populism.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

was thinking the Poll Tax protests in Britan was populism , the way language is being used now they would be demonised by the establishment as far right.

Based on what? What far right language did they use?

H. H. Asquith

working class people complaining about stuff that affects them is the issue, in the US in some cities black people are complaining about border migrants being dumped in their communities, the locals are probably all Dem voters, but you would feel silly calling them far right

are these people far right?

• Advertisement

So nothing but more whataboutery then. Just as well I didn't ask you who the establishment were.

H. H. Asquith

The poll tax protests were a full-on revolution against a very specific law, not against a perceived social or political group or ideaology. Compare it to the riots last week in Dublin - they weren't protesting against anything specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well Starmer thinks Thatcher got the trains to run on time, so maybe he thinks the poll tax was okay as well.

The trains do not run on time 35 years later.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kinnock was (I think) initally in favour of it too, but it was the beginning of the end for Thatcher. Neither her nor the poll tax survived the next 12 months.

@ancapailldorcha - populism is not the same as far right.

I didn't say it was. I've no idea why you keep responding to things I never said.

H. H. Asquith

My apologies if incorrect, but I felt it was implied when you repsonded to the poll tax post by asking about far-right langauge.

Ah. No worries.

Populism can come from anywhere but the far right sort tends to be much more successful IMO. The poster said that poll tax protestors would be demonised as far right today but couldn't give an example of any far right sentiment from said protests.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It could also be argued that populism has been turned into a dirty word by people on the fringes of society who get upset because democracy isn't working for them.

How so? What people on fringes of democracy? In what territory has it failed them?

You'd have to ask those who think populism is a bad thing.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'd have to ask the people on the fringes of society who get upset because democracy isn't working for them, apparently; but I'm putting it to you that you're making such a scenario up and that it doesn't exist in the real world.

Lack of a clear example kind of leads me think I'm right.

Democracy didn't fail them. They sat on their holes and made terrible choices and now whine about the consequences.

Democracy always returns the government people deserve. Always.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

So I guess that means all the people in their 20's and 30's who cannot afford and maybe never will be able to afford to buy their own homes it's all their own fault, even though they put more effort into their education and career than their parents generation did?

H. H. Asquith

THESE are the people 'on the fringes of society'...?

Populism and democracy are interchangeable. If someone doesn't like populism or uses it as a negative term then it stands to reason democracy isn't their cup of tea.

I think you won't have to go too far to find people who only like democracy when they get the result they want, and will complain endlessly if not. See all threads about American politics.

Populism and democracy are interchangeable. If someone doesn't like populism or uses it as a negative term then it stands to reason democracy isn't their cup of tea.

-- either you don't know what populism is or you don't know what democracy is. On Jan 6th 2021 in the US there were a **** load of populists - allegedly spurred on by one of the most populist presidents in US history - who sormed US capital buildings because democracy didn't give them the result they wanted.

Populists are far more likely to see democracy as "not their cup of tea" when it doesn't give them the result they want.

This is what a woke society has brought us, a world where it is ok to be explicitly racist towards white people and almost certainly get away with it.

Massive case of double standards that this is deemed ok to exclude people on the basis of their skin colour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is what anti woke has brought us, a world where people don’t read beyond the headline and where it’s ok to accuse everyone of racism.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

I did read beyond the headline. Having a party for non-whites only is ridiculous, its inherently racist as it excludes one particular group of people solely based on their skin colour. Grouping all non-whites together as one grouping is incredibly racist towards the non-whites as it assume all non-whites having something in common simply because they are non-white it's the perfect example of simply judging a book by it's cover.It's an incredibly divisive way of treating people despite politicians like her always claiming they want to unite people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement