Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More than likely he mean all accommodation not just emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I wouldn't suggest it is far right no.

It limits asylum seekers only. So your issue is entirely with asylum seekers, no other immigrants? What limit would you suggest?

There were 13,000 approx in 2022, I don't know how many this year.

Also, housing is a supply issue. I'm not sure why you think financially well off people are unaffected by immigration? Immigrants to this country are at all levels of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

So from media, McEnter can't even define "far right".

I don't even know why she is even in this job, Jesus crist and it shows that those idiot politicians are just importing bullshit from the US without even having a clue what it means, ffs, honestly I'm raging.

All those idiots should look up the actual definition on wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics

It also brings MSM into question, wtf is their actual defintion of far right? As far as I can tell its any disagreement with government policy. That's not far right that's a dictatorship government.

I would ask folk when MSM have an article to ask them to define "far right"

Post edited by lmimmfn on

I'm not a personal fan of the man no, I believe most politicians are interested in keeping their jobs and telling people what they want to hear.

It doesn't particularly matter what he says about immigration, our legislation covers immigration policy. He didn't draft legislation himself yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Nah of course he didn't, his Minister for Children, equality and integration did it with his blessing over a year ago when O'Gorman tweeted out in twelve different languages for every swinging Jack & Josef to come up in here and get whatever they wanted, which Varadkar and O'Gorman now can't fulfill.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You wouldn't need to change immigration laws to deal with any of that. What you are describing is more about people gaming the system to their own advantage than anything else - the complaint seems to be government agencies failing to properly implement existing laws around claiming welfare and benefits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can you post a direct link to that claim that " O'Gorman tweeted out in twelve different languages for every swinging Jack & Josef to come up in here and get whatever they wanted"

See that posted so often here but never anything to back it up. All I can find is a GRIFT article claiming this linking to a Tweet to a policy that does not say that from 2021. It says nothing about providing housing just own door or own room accomadation in DP centers well before the refugee crisis from the war by Russia.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/124757/ef0c3059-b117-4bfa-a2df-8213bb6a63db.pdf#page=null

That's not legislation though is it. It's a tweet.

The law says who can and cannot live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sorry mate, it's in the thread, it's 100% true.

It's not upto us to repost things as a convenience to someone like yourself. Google it, its all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

When you say us are do you mean the original poster I replied to or are ye sharing an account?

Can't remember asking you but thanks for your non contribution to my question to another poster.

Also please don't call me mate again if you feel the need to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭seanjmc

I would say it should be a percentage of the homeless figures with which we are comfortable. Focus Ireland currently give that number as 13,179 https://www.focusireland.ie/knowledge-hub/latest-figures/

We can see in 2015, the number was 3,845. We could say that there will always be some homeless and for the sake of it agree a number/ percentage of population. We could double the 2015 number and add some and say we should have no more than a maximum homeless figure of 8,000 or roughly 0.0015% of our population. The government should not be allowed to bring in refugees or asylum seekers without a national vote to facilitate if the homeless maximum was exceeded. In the case of Ukraine, that would have been put to a national vote and perhaps a figure of 100,000 taken as an emergency measure similar to what we have done. In doing that, we would knowingly accept that homelessness would increase but we would likely agree to that as a nation. However, to exceed 100,000 again a national vote would be required and given where we are now maybe the figure would increase to 110,000 or equivalent and not the current unlimited commitment.

The above would at least be clear and consistent and could be questioned. As it stands, our commitment is for unlimited Ukrainian's, unlimited asylum seekers, unlimited EU social welfare dependents and an international visa system that often seems to benefit the owners of capital looking for cheap labour more so that the general population. I'm deliberately highlighting the potential negatives. There are a lot of positive from immigration! Such a prospect at scale together is extremely unlikely to happen but should at least be accounted for in a professional manner.

Also, housing is a supply issue. I'm not sure why you think financially well off people are unaffected by immigration? Immigrants to this country are at all levels of wealth.

If I look at a financially well off person I know with a fine house and business, he does not need to worry about eviction and is away from zones of multi story developments with little or no green areas. He has private health care, uses private schools and does not compete for resources with new arrivals. More arrivals means more business and more money for him. He doesn't really care about areas of deprivation and refers to them only with horror as if there is a sub class of human in them. He is financially well off.

a national vote to facilitate. 

this is not our system of government. We are not a direct democracy. We elect public representatives to deal with policies for us.

Ireland ratified the Geneva convention and we have obligations under international humanitarian law. Every person has a right to claim asylum in whatever country they decide. How do you suggest Ireland putting limits on asylum seekers? And why just them? If there are housing issues in the country then everybody entering is putting pressure on housing stock.

Seems strange just to stop people who may be fleeing conflict, but we'll take language students, for example. So, we can actually take in people, just not the ones You don't want.

You seem a little prejudice towards financially well off people, this in particular, He doesn't really care about areas of deprivationns and refers to them only with horror as if there is a sub class of human in them.

totally prejudice based on nothing.

It does seem you see massive issues with housing, which is fair enough, we have had issues in this country with housing since the establishment of the state, and I completely understand if you are a young person hoping to buy your own home. It's funny though, your solution is to limit the asylum seekers only and not call on government to actually build and build and build.

Edit, just to add I accept you do mention refugees also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Holly Cairns of the social democrats says that the Dáil debate on immigration is 'nonsense and unacceptable' and that 'There is no link between criminality and immigration'. Being concerned with mass uncontrolled immigration is unacceptable? We are constantly told that we live in a democratic society, so if Holly and the entire house of cheerleaders think it’s “nonsense”, then they should be able to argue their case very easily.

German federal crime data report for 2022 shows us:

• 47,923 Germans were victims of violent immigrants, up 18% from 2021, immigrants account for 13% of the overall population. In contrast, 12,061 foreign nationals were victims of a suspect with German citizenship (inc non-ethnic Germans)
    • Germans are four times more likely to be attacked by an immigrant than vice versa.
    • 258 Germans were victims of murder, attempted murder, or manslaughter committed by foreign nationals. 38 of these victims died, while the others survived. In contrast, 89 foreign nationals were victims of crimes that involved at least one German perpetrator, with five of them losing their lives.
    • Foreign nationals from North African countries like Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia were the most willing to attack Germans when their asylum applications were rejected. While this group makes up only 0.8% of the population, they account for 8.5% of all asylum seekers suspected of committing a violent crime.
    • Foreign nationals went from committing 35% of rapes to 42.44% between 2000 and 2020. Between 2009 and 2020 the number of rapes committed grew from 29.55% to 41.18%
    • Since 2020, 302 gang rapes were recorded in Berlin alone, and more than half were committed by foreign nationals

Germany doesn't keep data on the racial or ethnic background of suspects anymore, so it is unclear how many of the German citizens arrested for crimes are ethnic Germans.

There is no link between criminality and immigration at all......

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭seanjmc

I propose a change to our system of government as outlined and in particular a national vote. Such votes are common in Switzerland.

I don't think we should go down the route of Denmark which also ratified the Geneva convention but here's a brief summary of what they're doing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/04/06/denmark-zero-asylum-refugees/

Nevermind Denmark, we are not locked into treaties forever. I am not advocating for it but we could exit the Geneva convention if it was deemed too onerous and propose a new treaty.

You raise a good point regarding general immigration/ language schools etc. Perhaps a formula should include all aspects of immigration to deliver the most fair solution.

There's lots of holes in my proposal but it's basically immigration linked to homelessness.

totally prejudice based on nothing.

It's based on a recent conversation.

I think a lot of people would support your proposed change to the system, I have no idea how possible it would be, considering our constitution and the separation of powers we have in this country.

I think exiting the Geneva convention would be crazy for a developed country, but apart from that, it just means we want to limit asylum seekers and refugees, but not any other immigrants.

if we were to put a temporary stop on immigration, it would really have to apply to all immigrants equally. Everyone in the country puts pressure on the system, not just asylum seekers.

then you have issues with the cta between us and the uk, and freedom of movement within the eu.

personally, I believe the best way to judge a society is to see how it deals with /takes care of all members of society. Get services actually running properly, get government to start doing what they should be doing. We have plenty of money, the mismanagement needs to change.

( on your recent conversation, I presume you wouldn't judge all well-off people the same based on one conversation)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard Holly Cairns on Newstalk yesterday being interviewed by Ciaran Cuddihy, predictable interview.....Irish people immigrated everywhere....we rely on many immigrants for our workforce etc. Then both her and Cuddihy agreed we must get prepared for a large movement of people from south to north in the coming years due to climate change that will see far more arriving than whats currently arriving to Ireland, something Michael Martin has referenced also. Given that there are billions in Africa alone what exactly does she want us to do?, ramp up building so we'll have accommodation ready for all those arriving on our shores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Build an ark. Worked for Noah. Did ya ever hear such shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Holly Cairns became leader of a party when no body else wanted the job.

Her background is selling seeds and working for charities/NGOs.

She could have joined the cabbage heads like her mother, but chose to go with the social democrats.

She is an example of modern virtue signalling spoofing morons that years ago would be consigned to at most running student unions.

As someone said the sooner we have downturn the sooner all the chickens come home to roost and we start seeing a clearout.

And if newly unemployed Irish are screwed over so that Pavel, Georgi, Mohomed can keep all their welfare "entitlements", what happened recently will be childs play in comparison.

By then the quislings in the dail leading this will be out of here on the pigs back leeching money from some foreign organisation or other.

Watch our so called minister for justice will be off to some NGO gig, our taoiseach off to some UN gig (he probably got browny points for pi**ing off the Israelis), Pascal off to IMF, Gormless off to some NGO think tank, Mehole off to EU as commissioner.

A lot of the other ones will be retiring but a fair chunk of them are just gormless useful idiots who would swear black was white if they thought the MSM would laud them.

Why can't people see where this is going ?

What beggars belief is that you have so many so called educated young, and indeed no so young, people lauding this shyteology.

they must have skin in the game or they are complete idiots.

Just see what has happened around Europe to see where this is going.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah the difference being Irish immigrants were handed a pick and shovel. The ones landing on our shores are being handed houses and welfare cheques.

This is a bit of an urban myth though. Vast majority of the non national population are working fulltime and paying taxes or are students.

The numbers of non nationals claiming benefits or social welfare are much, much smaller (apart from that situation with the Ukrainian refugees).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

To get as far as you did to snip that very selective snip, you had to go through page 1 of the white paper...

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7aad0-minister-ogorman-publishes-the-white-paper-on-ending-direct-provision/#

...showing the different languages - Not 12 admittedly, but the fact that a language like Urdu is spoken in many countries by (70m first language and 160m second language - wiki) and French is the language spoken in -

...one could see how a minor technicality error could occur - Don't need to list the Arabic one do I?

I previously said that Rodders invited 10's of millions here - it's actually 100's of millions

Here's the other bit you missed

HTF did they think that was a good idea?

No it's factual. Even if you say 10% of the arrivals are going on welfare that's 10% of huge numbers.

Completey different scenario to Ms. Cairns whataboutery but I'm sure she knows that.

She's just hoping/presuming the general public are dumb enough to swallow her pony.

A figure of 10% of non nationals claiming social welfare is hardly that shocking or outrageous - there must be a good 2 - 2.5m Irish born people on social welfare (way more than 10% of the population).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Care to backup that figure?. What kind of social welfare?, children allowance, pensions? This is back to the old argument that Irish people commit crime so why are we worried about bring more from outside. Irish people get social welfare so why not bring in more to claim it.

Oh look more whataboutery.. Ms. Cairns shpupd be ashamed of herself comparing the millions of irish immigrants who fled famine to build country's and still live in abject squalor to the welfare gravy train of current immigration we are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Frightening figures but surely they can’t be correct given the repeated assertions here that there is no link between immigration and increased crime. Surely those who repeatedly make this assertion here will be able to refute these statistics?

Nope. It most certainly does not fall down.

A society is judged by how it treats everyone in its society.

Discrimination based on nationality is called something.....all people are equal and all people in a country should expect to be treated equally.

What sort of person wants to live in a society that treats people like second class citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

even there was a reason he just took his family and animals....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I would prefer to quote Mahatma Ghandi when he said "The measure of a society is how it treats its WEAKEST members".... The old, the young children with all sorts of illnesses, those with mental issues and anyone with any of those terrible diseases that can afflict any of us... All this cohort are affected by the wild west immigration system in effect at the moment overseen by incompetents... Health services stretched to the limit, public services stretched to the limit,overcrowded classrooms, billions of our taxes thrown into this hole enriching many instead of being used to improve the lot of the most vulnerable citizens in our society....public finances are finite and a day of reckoning will come, for some it'll be too late but for now the most vulnerable will pay the price for the manner in which this country is governed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement