Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have been over on the electric thread but came back here to ask a question last week because it was about a car I think posters on this thread would be interested in, even though it was another EV I was enquiring about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I moved to the dark side of ev ownership a few months ago but would still class myself as a car enthusiast.

This thread went quiet probably partly due to the fact there’s very little interesting out there to buy in Ireland these days and prices are sky high still so people aren’t thinking of changing as a result.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah I've been lurking over in EV land the last while trying to keep in the loop for when the time eventually comes that I have to get one - I don't understand half of what folks are talking about! Everyone seems obsessed about range and GOM and the like. The Tesla threads are interesting/fun too - sounds like folks are driving about in a PC with wheels rather than a car, sign of the times I guess. I did spot pics of your new motor, it looks fantastic and well wear. 👌

True enough, very little incentive to change cars these days if you're already in something half decent.

I'm changing a 2017 bmw x5 for an almost new PHEV one for one of the directors in work, we want him to get an electric but he is x5 addicted and thinks the ix is ugly so fair enough.

Went on bmw.ie to look at new prices and was shocked at prices of the diesel models, starting at 130k now!

Phev available from 96k I think it was, I presume that's the end of diesel x5 sales in Ireland.

I know he will never plug it in though

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Would agree, in manual though. Better than the E46 and F80 imo

• Advertisement

we have a 2020 x5 3.0d. The same car is now 40 per cent more expensive now than when we bought it. It is a combination of price rise but mainly VRT changes that have caused it.

He will love the newer model x5 when he gets it. far superior to the 2017 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I just ordered an X5 50e yesterday. Will be delivered in March 24. Selling very well it seems!

Must be popular if there’s a 6 month lead time still.

did you get a reasonable deal?

No production slots available until January. I won’t be able to finalise the deal until end of October when VRT post budget and BMW price increases will be known. Plus trade in value of my own car.

I just paid a deposit, but it’s refundable if I’m not happy with the final numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

if I remember correctly, same as myself, you were also between iX, i5 and X5 and went for X5 at the end.

• Advertisement

I was. I have been reading your posts on the other forum, seems you are very happy with the X5?

That's great to hear. I'm looking forward to getting a deal finalised, I just paid a deposit , subject to agreeing trade in price and any changes in the budget.

They all take 1k deposit which is fully refundable if you don't go for it. Let me know if you have any questions

@bbari

what sort of electric range are you getting? What’s the overall economy working out like?

I'm constantly getting 100+KM, Most i have got is 107KM and that's before the added KM thru regen. I think BMW under promised and offer delivered on the e-range.

Couple of journeys i had on ICE only when the battery was 0, i got 13KM/L.

90% of my mileage is electric. I don't look at the combined figure because i think they don't represent a clear picture.

PS: Thank you again for your advise re buying X5 over IX and then i5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That’s brilliant range tbh. Plus the 483bhp available as a package.

Just finalised my deal now, delivery promised for late February / early March.

Have you had any issues with the check engine light?

Makes the new 530e at 20k less than an i5 seem a bit silly doesn't it? I do about 70kms on average per day, a PHEV at good value would suit very well. I'm impressed at that range.

With -3c last night, the range was 81KM, I don't think it will get colder than this so I guess this is lowest range you will get.

No, didn't have any issue. iDrive 8.5 update was released OTA a few weeks ago and it improved the UI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

i assume the 530e is the one that will sell here at around €72k or whatever it is - not many going to pay €90k+ for the i5, it's not worth it.

I was told today that the id7 will be mid to high 50s when launched here by a vw dealer. Can't see an i5 being any value at 30k more. I'd guess the id7 will be every bit as good as it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The ID 7 starts at 56k in Germany so I cannot see them selling it here for high 50s unless they strip it out as a paddy spec special to reduce VRT.

And as expensive as the i5 is, I'd doubt those in the market for such a car, will think about heading down to their nearest VW dealer to buy an ID 7 as an alternative. No more than an Audi e-tron or Mercedes EQ buyer would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not a hope it’ll be mid 50s. Dealer waffle as per.

The id7 has been on the VW website here for a number of weeks already.

no heat pump as standard and plain fabric seats so basic enough never mind paddy spec.

It starts on the configurator at 69,100 euro.

Configurator (volkswagen.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Casati

I think there is a lot of benefits with phev’s in general that’s often overlooked as buyer are directed to ev’s that we all know can be v compromised. I see quite a few Merc diesel phevs around - they are a great option for company car drivers - lower vrt than diesel/ petrol, plus good electric range and no need to worry or plan if you have to do an overnight longer trip. Cheaper options like the Niro phev or Cupra Leon are overlooked unfairly too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Casati

Seems like a big ask for target customer coming from a Passat - doesn’t even have a heat pump! Also gets cloth seats, and Styling Pack at 2695 is needed to get privacy glass and matrix lights so with met it’s a 75k car. Having said that I looked at one in Killarney recently and it did look well

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Passat owners mostly moved to the Tiguan or ID 4 in recent times, the new Passat estate only will have a limited appeal in this country.

Realistically I'd say the main target of the ID 7 will be current Arteon drivers rather than 5 Series/A6 or E Class drivers. However at 70k plus I think a dealer's showroom will be the main place the ID 7 will be seen in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

The legacy automakers are going to struggle in this brave new EV world if they don't stop charging these ridiculous prices. China (and Tesla's being made there) is going to do now what Japan did in the 80's and 90's and prove to the whole world that people vote with their wallet.

Related to the thread, I'll be picking up a BYD Seal in the new year for €52k, trading in a 2016 BMW 330e that I bought 4 years ago for €20k and got a trade-in offer of €16k, which is mad that I had only 1k a year in depreciation, but that's another thread.

I went for the 530bhp AWD version, so if I wanted the BMW equivalent, I'd be going for the i4 M50. Starts 88.5k and I STILL have to pay an extra €2k for adaptive high-beams and I STILL have to pay another 2.5k if I want a 360 degree camera, which the BYD has for free. So it ends up being €52,000 vs €93,000, and as far as I can tell after all that the BMW is still missing ventilated seats? (I suffer from sweaty back syndrome OK? I care!).

I sat in both cars, and I just can't see where the extra €41k went. Not to mention the Seal is a bigger car with a wheelbase and interior space closer to the i5 than the i4. Except then the situation gets even more ridiculous, the i5 M60 has same 3.8 second 0-100 time as the Seal, but it costs €120,000 (!!!) Oh, and you still have to pay an extra €2.5k if you want the HUD, and €4,600 if you want an electric boot lid (seriously BMW?) and ventilated seats.

Those prices just don't make sense anymore. A comment on a YouTube video said it best: "Even if the BYD was worth absolutely zero in 4 years, I would still have lost less money than buying a new i5 M60" 😂 And look this is coming from someone who loved their BMW for the last 4 years, but it feels like the Germans just aren't even bothering to compete.

This is going to happen for the more regular cars too. I just checked and a bog standard Paddy spec 1.0 petrol VW Golf is..... €35,000?! What?! An MG4 is a perfectly fine EV for what most people do day-to-day and it costs €29k, which is now what a mid-spec Polo costs? A car that is an all respects a class down from the MG4? Insanity.

I suppose VW and the others are going to complain and want the EU to slap on import taxes (just like they did with Japan), instead of yknow, trying to offer competition....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree that BMWs are too expensive now - they've obviously planned to sell less volume but higher margin in each.

However you can't compare a BYD Seal to an BMW i5 - that's like comparing a Tesla with an i5. Whatever about the driving dynamics the inside of the BYD and Tesla are horrible design with cheap plastics IMO. I could not sit in one for more than 60 seconds.

Whilst the g60 is still a step back in materials from the previous model it's miles ahead of BYD in terms of interior luxury.

It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota IMO.

Advertisement