Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai now best paid workers in the state - CSO

Options

Comments

Why do you ignore base pay.

Stop using misinformation tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What would you say if you heard that your local Council was paying someone 500 quid a week to come in to sit at a reception desk between 1pm and 3pm 4 days a week? The only requirement for the position would be that you need to attend a 6-month mickey mouse hypothetical "certificate in reception desk etiquette" run by your local Council.

Would you consider that being overpaid? Or a cushy number?

Would you give up your current job to do it?

And yes, non-sequitur is correct. As I said, people use the same arguments in relation to the dole. Would you leave your current job to go on the dole if the dole was 400 quid per week? The argument that some make is that - if you wouldn't choose to do that, then that proves that 400 quid per week dole is too low and should be higher. That is a non-sequitur. Because it doesn't follow logically (even though some thinks it would).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭amacca

Non - sequitur = a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

A person essentially states a job is cushy, has over generous renumeration etc etc

Why would it not logically follow to wonder why that person isn't doing the job or actively pursuing it if they think it's so good? Instead of just selectively quoting what suits their arguments and getting all worked up into a tizzy when anyone points out there may be more to it/ignoring counterpoints

Seems very logical to me......

If you met several people constantly going on about how wonderful something/anything was....but never bothering to achieve/acquire it then wouldn't it be entirely logical to wonder why not?.....unless of course said people have a chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind

As for the 500 quid a week for two hours work 4 days a week......yes I probably would do it....I wouldn't even have to give up what I do atm.....send me on an application😅

Clearly though Id need to know more details about the work than the hours and the pay.....unlike some people I wouldn't assume that's all there is to it.

Answer the questions asked. You don't get to avoid giving the answer by shifting the goalposts and deciding to answer different ones

Would you give up your current job to take the 500 quid a week role?

Would you give up your current job for 400 quid a week in dole?

I wouldn't choose the dole if it was 1000 quid a week.

Does that then logically imply that I think 800 quid a week is too low for dole? Or would that argument actually be a non-sequitur? (There is no point you googling something if you don't take the time to read it and understand it)

Why would I give up what I currently do when I wouldn't have to?

It's 2 hours a day 4 days a week...also I said there's more to a job than pay and hours......I'd need a lot more details to make a decision on any job

What am I not understanding about the below?

Non sequitur = a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

What is not logical about wondering why several people who think something is so amazing aren't doing it or pursuing it? I can't see how my statement wouldn't logically follow the others...

I think your dole example may be more like a non-sequitur however....as dole isn't a job.....to most people..although I do concede that some people approach it as if it was one😅....I'd wager the reason you wouldn't want to claim dole is you know its not just about the money right?.....so therefore maybe other things need to be considered? Hmmm...

Btw I didnt avoid giving answers or shifting goalposts, read my reply again....I think you are the one who likes moving goalposts tbh

• Advertisement

I explained at the start that the hypothetical job involves only sitting at a reception for 2 hours per day, 4 days per week. 500 quid per week.

Given that you wouldn't leave your own job to do it, then you (following your logic) cannot be of the opinion that that person doing the hypothetical job would be overpaid by the State for sitting at that reception desk. 62.50 per hour to sit at the desk. Good value for money for the State according to amacca!

(And yes, you tried to shift the goalposts by saying that you would do the receptionist job and keep your existing job)

You are following your "logic" such as it is ......and putting words in my mouth

I didn't need it explained it was 2 hours a day, 4 days a week??..I clearly said that in my first response to your hypothetical scenario🤔....hence why I wouldn't need to leave anything I do at the moment to take up the role....and I would take it up if it was on offer ... why wouldn't I, its an extra 500 a week on top of what I'm doing at the moment for what appears to be a very doable investment of my time..that's not shifting any goal posts.....you asked me would I leave my current occupations to do it...I explained I wouldn't even need to and could still do it ...so why would I leave what I do?

You were the one who erected the goal posts in any event...I think your miffed you might have scored an own goal in them or they were a bit wonky to begin with.....

Anyway you claimed what I said was a non-sequitur......think you could explain how without some odd dole example or hypothetical scenarios? I'd imagine that shouldn't be too taxing for a master logician such as yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

I haven't read all of this but here's my two cents as a garda:

I'm at the top scale for garda rank with 23 years service. I am on target to earn over 100k this year inclusive of all allowances and overtime. Working nights, weekends and holidays including Christmas just for clarity. I earn more than my superintendent because he is on a salary and not per hour. I would suggest I work more too but I couldn't prove it. He wouldn't work nights, weekends and holidays normally but the likes of paddy's day he would.

To get to that number I am averaging 17 hours overtime PER WEEK. Some weeks more than others of course. So my average worked per week hours are 57. This is well over the 48 hour maximum for most workers.

Not all overtime is voluntary, court is mandatory, staying on at shift end to deal with a case is mandatory. I would say 50 hours a month are voluntary for myself, estimated.

The pension is good for me, joining now? Not so much. New recruits must work until 55 or 30 years, whichever comes last. If you join at 20, you are staying until 55 still. You don't get the state pension until 65 nor do new s recruits get the 'bridging' pension that I do. Most will Probably need to stay until 60 or get another job when they retire.

I'm not gong to argue the numbers or if it's worth it. I'm just giving you the numbers so you can see for yourself.

Underpaid? Overpaid? That's personal opinion. All I know is i still struggle to pay the bills and cover my kids courses, clubs, etc. I would be fcked without overtime unless my wife worked full time as well but that would mean child minders after school so would aim need overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If a garda did a day overtime every week it would be a 70 hour week for them. I doubt doubt all of them did overtime every week. It wouldnt be much of a life outside of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Good for you. Not many people in a secure job earning 100k a year. I know you say "The pension is good for me, joining now? Not so much. New recruits must work until 55 or 30 years, whichever comes last". Your pension is to die for, everyone else can only dream of same.

To put things in perspective, According to Statista, the average salary in Spain is €29,113 per year or €2,426 a month. After 30 years you will get a tax free lump sum of 18 months salary plus a pension amount much higher than many people in either Spain or Ireland earn while actually working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I am not sure what relevance the salaries in Spain have for us here. Anyway, it is good to have a bit of honesty from a state worker rather than the usual obfuscation (using net salary, not including allowances that everyone gets etc). The 100k salary is very decent here, even if the hours are long. Most higher paid (and 100k would come in this bracket) would be salaried positions with significant additional unpaid time expected. I know at least in the tech industry it would be common to work extra hours most days, I don't know anyone who works 9-5. My own typical day would be 7-6:30, although IIRC my contract is 9-6 with an unpaid lunch hour or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Will you also be posting your net pay when you get the "big cheque" at the end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not everyone gets all, or the same allowances.

You get allowances based on work, and hours, you actually do. And you get paid overtime for overtime hours you actually do.

Hence basic salary pay is the only useful comparator - how do people still not get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Two thirds of the 70+ hours per month overtime you do is voluntary?? I would ask how you can be properly effective doing that much overtime to be honest, it shouldn't be allowed. Also, what's the point when your whole life (nights, weekends and holidays including Christmas) is passing you by? This is a crazy mentality, pure greed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Jaysis very unfair saying pure greed , they are after saying theyd be fecked without the OT and the Wife only works part time. Theres nothing greedy about doing OT hours that are available.

Fecked without the overtime?? 2 people in the household are working so they're bringing in more than 100k a month- what the hell are they spending it on??

I havent a clue , maybe they have a hape of kids. Either way I think its unfair to call it greed. Thats currently over 100k but if thats 75k without all the OT thats hardly some mad household income like.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

82K a year ?? Wouldn't get out of bed for that Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Francis McM

We had Garda on here saying he got 100K but who complained "The pension is good for me, joining now? Not so much. New recruits must work until 55 or 30 years, whichever comes last".

I told him his pension was what those in the private sector could only dream of.

After 30 years Gardai can get a tax free lump sum of 18 months salary plus a monthly pension amount much higher than many people earn while actually working.

It would cost well over a mlllion in contrubutions to buy the pension package that Garda is on. Defined benefit pensions - esp for such a young retirement age - are something extremely few in the private sector, not even those on say €150,000, could afford to buy.

Like Eddie Hoobs speaking back in 2006 just before crash, I think in a few decades we will all remember the time that some Gardai complained their average €82,000 earnings was not enough, or cribbing about the hours etc.

I know tons of people working longer hours than Gardai but they are not on 82,000 or have a golden pension to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Never mind the poster being fecked without the OT - the job itself would be fecked without members being willing to do stupid amounts of OT!

Yes, the money is nice when it comes in - but it's a ridiculous amount of unsocial hours, far more hours than should be worked in a week, and more and more are turning overtime down because it's no way to live your life. And the lack of boots on the ground all over the country (except for Dublin city centre this few weeks, of course) is testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ireland isn't Spain. So I don't see why you have compared a few times now to Spain?

The reason why Garda don't join is because they are not allowed enough people to cover all of Ireland. Plus when they are people don't want to be a Garda, spat on, abused all day, recorded on stupid phones etc etc etc

In terms of teachers, I suggest you go into a class room full of 30 kids, wait around for a few hours and see why a lot of people will never be teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

But the poster said it is VOLUNTARY overtime!!

@lbunnae a hape of kids that he never sees. How about having a normal amount of kids and not scraping by on 100k+ a year?

I didnt say it wasnt voluntary at all???? Apologies just realised you werent replying to me with that part. To me with how much thinks cost at the moment 100k gross is not a mad high salary especially given that the wife is a part time worker. You think its greed , i think thats ridiculous.

Where does the wife's salary go? Doesn't that count as household income? It's a perfectly adequate salary for a normal family, normal families thrive on much less. This guy is probably most likely on the verge of a burnout and not doing a very good job for the taxpayer but it's grand because he's earning a small fortune in overtime and can just about afford to keep the wife (sic) in children and horseriding lessons. You can bet there's a detached stone mansion in the mix there too 🙄.

Routine overtime should not be a thing, voluntary overtime should DEFINITELY not be a thing. We don't allow surgeons or pilots do it, someone who is dealing with the worst of the public and supposedly keeping society safe should not be running on fumes routinely in order to keep up with the Joneses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For a bit of perspective, a public servant on 90k, in a one-earner family of 2A+2C, will have a disposable income below average, for their family type.

Is it somehow different for private sector employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Somewhat, as a typical private sector employee won't face the same amount of compulsory pension contributions.

• Advertisement

Then they won't get a occupation pension in return. The contributions state employees make is no more than the typical private employee would make with generous thresholds.

You get your contributions and more back when you retire, with lump sum and index linked pension as well as half your pension going to your spouse in the event of your death.

Post edited by salonfire on

Advertisement