Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai now best paid workers in the state - CSO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That article is complete spin.

They even chose the time period to include a backdated pay settlement to bump up the figures.

What was earned during the period in question was less. Then they throw in overtime and allowances as if working a 60 hour week, night shifts etc. is normal in the jobs they're comparing it to.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So if you think this is so excellent you should apply to be a Garda. I pointed out the freely available pay scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

At the end of the day the gardai earn there money here . That 24/7shift pattern is not easy. Unsocial hours and they can't even land a bat on someone without fear of being suspended or brought to court. I never knew this until the dublin riots. That really needs to change.

I would have no problem with the gardai using more force. its only the criminals that Need to worry. The gardai should not be worried about repercussions especially when they feel threatened like what happened last week. They are let down big time by this government.

Now wonder the gardai are leaving in there droves. It's not worth the money. Can't even defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭OrangeBadger

With the amount of sh1te they have to deal with no amount of money would get me to do that job plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Francis McM

But Gardai still get pension - 50% of salary - plus tax free lump sum of 18 months salary, after only 30 years service. It explains how so many Gardai were able to retire in their very early fifties.

I remember the paper done an article some years ago explaining how the same pension in the private sector would cost well over a million to buy.

A huge perk if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Averages are a meaningless measurement for salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why? It's perfectly reasonable to call it excellent without being in the least tempted to apply.

A further point on the pension: after retirement, it's increased in line with wage increases given to the role from which you retired.

This 'feature' cannot be bought in the private sector. At any price.

In public sector roles the average is anything but meaningless. The 'CEO' is likely to be earning 2-3 times the average.

It's only in the private sector that pay at the top distorts the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So what.

For the job that they do they absolutely deserve this.

This begrudger mentality has to stop.

Go and apply for the guards if you think it’s such a good job ffs 🤦‍♂️!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a dwindling number of Gardai entitled to this - the retirement conditions changed in 1995 and again in 2013, and are far less favourable.

So the "retire at 30 years with the gold plated pension" will soon be a thing of the past. But yet it's the one line that's always trotted out without contradiction.

And if overtime is included in those (highly misleading IMO) figures, well then that overtime had to be worked, over and above an average 40 hour week (the highest in the PS I believe) mostly done on shift work (again, those unsocial hours allowances are not free money, you have to work unsocial hours to earn them).

All the while taking abuse from the general public and on forums like boards.

It's far from the cushy number that people seem to think it is.

• Advertisement

You say its "far from the cushy number that people seem to think it is.". Well, I know Gardai in their very early fifties who retired on their "golden pension" and we know each other well enough for them to confide it was a very cushy number. They were in a rural area and it was not exactly high pressure or exceptionally dangerous or anything. Ask any estate agent and they will also tell you that the stereotypical Garda, married to the nurse or teacher, with their rental properties and frequent holidays abroad was not far off the mark.

If I was young enough again and not that ambituous and not that hard working, it would be very tempting to freewheel at school, not study too hard, and get a cushy but guaranteed and pensionable job for life. When I was young though, the brightest people did not tend to go in to the Gardai. If you got a great leaving cert, you did not apply for the Gardai. If I had, I'd have been retired on a golden pension in my late forties. Going off on Ryanair flights every month to Europe, and maybe even having a holiday home in Portugal to play golf from, like one retired Garda I know.

The Gardai who are working these days, though, are not working under those conditions, or anything like them.

That's what you don't seem to get.

The job today is nothing like it was when those retired Gardai were working.

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

Would you stop! 😂

So a couple of guards from rural areas that you happen to know had cushy experiences, therefore all guards have it easy and don’t face life threatening scenarios?

The mind boggles how some people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you’re relying on estate agents to back up your argument, you’ve lost all credibility.

How do you think you'd have retired in your 40's?

Not a lot of credibility to lose, tbh - trotting out old hackneyed clichés like they're gospel truth, with clearly not a clue of the up to date actual job conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let all that bitterness out

OK so you've established that some garda posts are (or, rather, once were) relatively easy numbers. So what? Others were and are far more difficult and stressful.

As for the 30 year pension, do we really expect 60+ year olds to be chasing after teenage thugs? AFAIK there is full pension entitlement after 30 years now but it's not paid out until 65.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, that Garda in their fifties he's entirely different terms to Gardai from the last ten years. That's pretty relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

A bit off topic, but reported just now that more gardai are to get public order training, to top up the current 1000 Gardai who got the training.

I had always assumed public order training was part of the standard garda training curriculum.

It is on page 9 of the 47 page book on Garda pensions my cousin has, and as he pointed out it is available online too:

Quote "Gardaí who attested before 6 th April 1995 are entitled to retire at or after 50 years of age, provided they have achieved 30 years’ service. With 30 years’ service, they receive the maximum pension which is 50% of final pensionable pay (Basic2 + Roster premium + Pensionable Allowances 3 ). "

I know of one lad who stopped working as a Garda just before his 50th birthday, but he had holidays etc due to him, so his nice golden pension kicked off soon after that, when he was 50 and retired.

https://www.gra.ie/documents/GRA-Pensions-Booklet-Jul17-red.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You know some amount of Guards.

I know a few myself. All except one of them in the process of leaving. And only in their 30s. Doesnt seem like a great job to me from they tell me.

And you've already been told more than once that those conditions are almost a thing of the past.

Drag yourself into the 21st century like a good man, and maybe take the rose-tinted blinkers off.

This is the 21st century, and like a " good man" yourself you should remember that the lads retiring now and who retired in the past few years got / are getting those pensions. Not saying if it is right or wrong, just stating a fact. No need to be so defensive.

I'm sure we could find other more suitable work to occupy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

Galavanting about on Ryanair flights. The CHEEK of them..

Is this the Liveline thread?

The average pay of Gardai (inc overtime) is €82,000, according to the report the OP quoted / statistics.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq22023finalq32023preliminaryestimates/

Do not tell your 30 year old friends to join the PSNI anyway, their starting salary is only £26,682. PSNI officers earn 30 to 43 k basic pay a year then after many years work. Hardly worth it. When in N.I. they still have to check under their cars every morning afaik - Gardai here do not have to do that. Now that would be stress I would say - living on £26,682 and having to check under your car and putting up with sh*t and worrying about been recognised when off duty.

By comparison, I would say having a safe secure guaranteed pensionable ( defined benefit pension, virtually impossible to get in the private sector ) job on an average €82,000 is pretty good going. This country is f***ed if you think a secure job @ 82k a year with perks like d.b. pension etc is not good.

"By comparison, I would say having a safe secure guaranteed pensionable ( defined benefit pension, virtually impossible to get in the private sector ) job on an average €82,000 is pretty good going. This country is f***ed if you think a secure job @ 82k a year with perks like d.b. pension etc is not good."

There are so many inaccuracies in this I don't really know where to start.

Comparing €82K for Gardai with £26K for PSNI is comparing apples to cabbages - one includes overtime, one is a starting wage, one is an average figure which includes all ranks and a back payment in that period. So that comparison is complete rubbish.

And for the third (and last) time I'll tell you again, the defined benefit pension is a thing of the past, it does not exist any more. Nor does the possibility to retire at age 50.

But you know this already (because you've been told numerous times) but you choose to ignore it because it doesn't suit your bizarre, ridiculous narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All PS pensions are, and remain, DB pensions.

There have been reforms to make them less generous, yes, but they are all still DB pensions.

Correct. And as the lads retiring now will confirm, as per page 9 of the official 47 page book on Garda pensions

available online too: https://www.gra.ie/documents/GRA-Pensions-Booklet-Jul17-red.pdf

Quote "Gardaí who attested before 6 th April 1995 are entitled to retire at or after 50 years of age, provided they have achieved 30 years’ service. With 30 years’ service, they receive the maximum pension which is 50% of final pensionable pay (Basic2 + Roster premium + Pensionable Allowances 3 ). "

So the lads retiring now, and in the past few years can and do retire after 30 years service, on 50% of final pensionable pay. Plus they get 18 months tax free salary.

Nobody is claiming new entrants get that.

And when you compare Garda pay in N.I. with what the PSNI get ( starting salary of only £26,682 ) for arguably more dangerous work, hell, you realise average Garda pay of €82,000 per year as the CSO and OP reported is not bad at all. Not many other people get 82k a year, plus a d.b. pension etc.

• Advertisement

So what if that’s the rate of pay and perks on offer.

Everyone could apply for those jobs if they wanted.

Why don’t you?

Advertisement