Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai now best paid workers in the state - CSO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yet schools can't recruit or retain teachers - in Dublin in particular but not just in Dublin.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Have you got proper statistics to back that up? Also ive heard the issue is not offering full hour permanent contracts. Its the culture of teachers , they dont see their job as 2/3rds of the year , thats what it is , actually less. The ones who moan about pay and dont earn money in the summer are a funny bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im not even talking about teachers. Im talking about every worker.

You are obsessed with teachers yourself. That is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

search for

teacher vacancies site:irishtimes.com (or other Irish media outlet of your choice)

knock yourself out

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Not obsessed , just the rhetoric on this thread is oh the gardai work their hours deserve that pay. Well teachers simply dont work long hours. You can shite on about your gfs ma all ya want but she has zero work to do for a large part of the year at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

There is vacancies in every area of the public and civil service. We are at nearly full employment. It is most certainly an employees market at the moment. No comment on the holidays lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At any one time, it takes average, 5 garda to fill a position

3 by 8 hour shifts

1 on holiday

1 sick

So if the head count is 15,000, thats 3,000 at work at any time.

While they talk about understaffing, the overtime is the flip side of that coin

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Plus there are lots of retired Garda in their fifties on a pension of 40k a year who are retired / do no work at all. In a proper efficient economy they could be doing desk jobs or something, or doing some work for the taxpayer, even if people say lads in their early fifties could not run after criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I find it hard to get an exact picture of who is emigrating at the moment but I suspect it's younger educated people. The types that would typically be applying for these jobs.

Rents are really expensive and maybe they think they'll never own a house here.

I don't think paying teachers more is the answer as it'll just lead to higher rent and house prices. The answer, ten years ago, was to increase construction output. The answer now is the same, just much more difficult, and I still don't see it being done to any great effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Such a common response from PS workers it has become a trope. The converse also holds, if you aren't happy with your conditions, leave your comfortable risk free PS job and join the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭amacca

indeed..and the reverse is also true

if the people taking a cut think its such a bed of roses why don't they just go and do the job.....they might find out its not nearly as comfortable as they think

Not everyone in the country can or should work as a Garda on 82k a year etc. The country would be bankrupt in no time if everyone got that and retired after 30 years on a defined benefit golden pension.

Believe you me, if I was young enough again, it would be very tempting to freewheel at school, not study too hard, and get a cushy but guaranteed and pensionable job for life. As I said before though, when I was young though, the brightest people did not tend to go in to the Gardai. If you got a great leaving cert, you did not apply for the Gardai. If I had, I'd have been retired on a golden pension in early fifties. I was at a school reunion once, the lad in the class who- lets say- was not the brightest, was just in his early fifties and back from his golfing villa in Portugal and admitted he "won the lotto" by becoming a Garda. Well done him, a nice enough lad. Life turned out much easier and better for him than he could ever have dreamt of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is perfectly valid to have the opinion that a particular job/task is overpaid without you being willing to leave your own to do it.

The same argument is often put forward for dole etc. It's a non-sequitur

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

They like all public servants will be in line for further pay increases soon.

The person gossiping at the water cooler before returning to their desk to look up pictures of cats will receive the same percentage increase as the Garda being attacked from all sides by masked thugs.

A farcical situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There might not be as many vacancies if there wasn't the same culture of pulling the ladder up to protect those in the system already at the expense of those who are trying to get their foot on the ladder.

I know someone who had to work for a good few years as a "substitute" teacher to fill in for a teacher who went on a 5 year "career break" - when everyone knew the previous teacher was really giving up but wanted to keep their options open. I think that after whatever number of years, they got some vague form of contract out of it.

Don't ask me how it works, but I was told that for the first year or two, the previous teacher came back and did one day before the Summer so that they would get paid over the Summer. Maybe it was a different status to career break at the start. The teachers on here probably know all the tricks or names.The person I know wasn't getting holiday pay for the first few years because they were technically subbing (or however it is structured).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're completely obsessed with the 82K figure - which isn't an true average, isn't the basic wage (the universal comparitor), includes a shedload of overtime and unsocial hours which actually have to be worked in order to be paid, and also includes a one-off backpayment of money that had been due for a number of months. So it bears no relation to the actuality, and I have no idea how the Irish Times have got away with printing such an obviously misleading article, tbh.

You're also obsessed with comparing a job from 30 years ago, under vastly different societal and employment conditions to the same job today (shure the lads cycling around country roads on their bicycles in the 50's with nothing to do but keep an eye on noxious weeds and poitín stills had it even handier, why not compare to them?).

You also seem to like trotting out the same (inaccurate) paragraphs again and again, like you're just C&Ping - the ultimate in lazy non-argument.

I would dearly love to see you in uniform in Store Street or Pearse Street or Coolock or Finglas for a week, and see how long you'd last.

Ignore button being deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭amacca

If its perfectly valid to hold that opinion ...without actually doing the job...its also perfectly valid in response to anecdotal shite starting with "I know a"....or half truth and opinion etc etc....and then the other problem with some of these posters is they think a stat tells the whole story.

Anyway it's perfectly valid to question why the person with the opinion isn't doing the job if they think it's so wonderful? ......I don't think you fully grasp the meaning of the term non-sequitur if I'm understanding its definition correctly....

I mean if something is so cushy and overpaid why complain about it, why not do it...seems like a more logical thing to do to me

I think people constantly taking a cut want it every way.

The answer seems obvious to me, if they think it's so fantastic they should try do it and see if they still feel that way.

Something tells me their tune would change fairly lively.

Grass is always greener, I tend to think they are just lashing out because of their own inadequacies or bad decision making or self loathing.....seems a lot of people need people or a group to try and blame their own problems on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

He was obviously brighter that the brightest ones in his class.

If you have to include overtime and premium then you're spinning misinformation (at best)

They're working those hours because of chronic understaffing (and crap treatment by higher ups, treating them as disposable pawns to move around the country on a whim)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

How are they moved around the country on a whim?

• Advertisement

The only Gardai I've seen in the city centre since the riots (and I've seen more in the last 2 weeks than I have in the last year!) have not been fun Pearse Street or Store Street. They're being shipped in wholesale from other divisions, which were already short staffed.

Done for optics, and completely unsustainable in the medium to long run.

What happened to all the city centre policing that was meant to follow the attack on Stephen Termini, and make the city safe (even safer) for us all??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jobdoer001

As a civil servant in an garda siochana I can confirm that the money is correct most likely understated. I use to monitor the finance for certain garda districts where each month you had a number of people doing 100 hours overtime at €38 per hour.

There was and is a culture of financial decisions being made by gardai based off their overtime.

For every Garda in Store Street or Pearse Street or Coolock or Finglas, there are plenty of other Gardai in sleepy little places down the country, who have a different experience. It is much easier working in Dublin or anywhere else in the country if you have a secure job ( tick), 82k a year the C.S.O. say they earn (tick) and a defined benefit pension and large tax free lump sum to look forward to after an early retirement ( tick).

Lots of people in the private sector are not so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I know a few young lads in the guards. You get sent to Dublin, Cork etc., graft through the first few years then find a cosy number down the country.

It's the same with nurses, we keep hearing about A&E, but in reality you just spend a few years staffing A&E then follow the route to easier and easier wards / roles / locations.

And that just shows your comical ignorance of how the job works these days in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You just made all of that up, none of it is based in reality and doesn't make any sense.

Which wards are easier by the way? if A&E was just staffed by junior nurses do you see any issues?

Absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Job security was a big thing 40 years ago, but in the modern environment there are many sectors where jobs are not hard to come by and there really isn't an enormous benefit being in the PS.

Oh yeah wards. Would you cop the **** on.

Literally have ward nurses, in CUH, who can't take a toilet break because they have no safe numbers.

So bloody easy

People, on socials, commenting without the slightest **** idea what they are on about

You do not have to go back 40 years ago - go back even 15 years ago and many people lost their jobs. Many tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands.

Apart from security and pensions though, the big advantage of the Gardai is the pay ....comparable to the Prime minister of Spain. The Prime Minister of Spain has a more difficult, responsible job (being at the top of politics there and on call 24/7 ) , in a country with a much larger population - is only paid 97,926 USD per year. That is close to the income our average Garda gets here, according to the CSO ( 82,000 per year ). Imagine that - the Garda who goes on holliers to Spain earns the same as the President of Spain. Something not right there, if we are all in the EU etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Some types of jobs are lost in a recession, other types of jobs are not.

The Prime Minister of Spain gets to live free in a palace and has people to drive him around, he has limited out of pocket expenses. We may all be in the EU, but his salary should be considered in relation to those in Spain, a poorer and less expensive country, rather than here.

The facts are on the ground, there was no rush to join the Gardaí, there were no applications for the deputy commissioner position. What you think is an appropriate salary is neither here nor there, it is what prospective applicants think of it.

Advertisement