Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning - Lob Cabin behind House - Carlow

Options
  • 29-09-2023 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, Im absolute new to this whole process so would appreciate any guidance people can give me regarding applying to Carlow council for planning permission to build a 2 - 3 bedroom log cabin in the back of our garden. This is going to be for my mother in law to live in full time so we want to make sure we do it properly.

I did try searching previous posts but everything seems to relate to new build planning permission and I've no idea if this is the same process. We're not looking to divide up the land or create a new address. This building would be part of our property so on paper my mother in law would be living at our address.

I guess the first few questions I have would be...

How long would an application like this typically take?

Would I be complicating the application saying somebody would be living there full time or should I say its a guest house?

What kind of costs are involved in the planning permission process?

Do I need full and final designs for everything before submitting the application? Can these be subject to change?

Apologies if these are silly questions but I've never looked into this previously and am pretty clueless about the process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Questions aren't silly at all. First of all any house type in the back yard/garden is usually unacceptable but a log cabin is a bigger problem in a way. Used as a garden shed they might be acceptable but not as a dwelling house. Your relation doesn't need 2 or 3 bedrooms so I would suggest you consider a granny flat attached to the house. This would be more acceptable to the planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Does it have to equate to necessity? We want her to have some degree of independence with this. So we wanted her to have a spare room or two so she could have visitors or family stay over.

When you say a dwelling in the back is usually unacceptable does that mean this likely something we won't get permission for?

Im talking generally here as each planning application has to be treated on its own merits. Im assuming this is in a rural location but regardless the planners will normally take the view of "1 site for 1 house". You are hoping to have 2 houses on a single site and this is something that is not normally allowed and on face value it is likely that a planning application for this proposal would be refused.

However every case is different and matters such as site size, zoning, sewage disposal, etc etc all have to be examined. There is a facility provided by all local authorities titled "pre-planning inquiry" and maybe this is something you should look into. The service is free, you email/post a copy of plans (sketches would suffice), maps etc to the planning office and you then get a meeting with the local planner where you can discuss your proposal in a bit more detail. They give you a verbal indication that day and follow it up with a written response which will indicate their opinion on the proposal. They cant tell you yes or no but you will have a good idea as to what way they are thinking.

The other alternative is to engage a local architect/engineer/technician to first of all advise you and then if necessary make a planning application if they deem it worthy of doing so.

I'll go back to my original comment. If you want to look after the mother in law and get planning for a building then you should seriously consider a granny flat.

Yes its a rural location and it would be to the rear of the property not blocking anyone view, not even visible from the road. Its really not the kind of location where this wouldn't have any impact on anyone except us.

The granny flat attached to the idea definitely wouldn't work. Ill save the big explanation on the family dynamic here but the only possible way this would work is a separate house where there was some degree of separation and independence.

The thing is I've seen this exact setup done many times before when I was buying our house. I guess a lot of people just plow ahead and bank on the 7 year rule kicking in so the council cannot do anything about the dwellings.

The other aspect of it, most of these log cabin companies offer a build option where these houses are not build on permanent foundations and are not classified as permanent structures. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the planning regulations are specifically worded for permanent structures. Most of these websites do still advise to talk to planning authorities for confirmation but they do say that a lot of councils do not require planning for these type of builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've surprisingly seen an application granted for a 2 or 3 bed holiday home detached from main house. This is in a rural area where its difficult to get planning for house for locals.

I thought it was a no hoper and they actually applied for holiday home too which is usually a straight no.

In the OPs case, I'd be looking at isolation unit etc - development plans have taken account of covid and people with poor health needing separate living quarters etc. Would be a very valid reason to need a detached independent living unit on a property.

Log cabin is a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Would putting a mobile home there be an option?

I think one way or another it has to be a log cabin. There wouldn't be budget for a permanent structure. It's increasingly sounding like I need to weigh up the possibility of doing this without planning. I'll be talking to a few of the more reputable log cabin companies next week and get their take on it.

Possibly a mobile home but it might be a bit of an eyesore. I've not looked much into them but if it could be made to look nice then it could be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Look. Thos log cabin thing is a bit of a misnomer. They are simply timber framed structures. As you get timber framed dwellings the world over... they would be more typically he called garden rooms. If its just a simple box , no toilet or kitchen. Some companies have a 25 sq m structures up in a day !! Incouding the plastering, thats for one large open plan room.

True, I know if it's under 25m2 then it doesn't require permission. I suspect this one will be more in the region of 60 - 70m2. Still small as far as houses go.

I think our best hope on going the legit route is if Carlow planners don't require planning for non permanent structures.

• Advertisement

You have a lot of stuff that you havent got right. First of all do not listen to what the log cabin manufacturers say or state on their brochures or website. Any structure that is habitable requires planning permission and there are no exceptions to that. Temporary or permanent makes no difference nor is there anything in planning legislation about foundations - temporary or permanent.

Before you go off spending money foolishly you need to discuss the project with a local "planning agent" and certainly not a guy who is trying to get you to buy his garden shed while masquerading it as some form of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What's the 7 year rule ? Build what you want and it's ok after 7 years ? 🤔

Basically, if not discovered for 7 years the councils have no avenue to remove it. I'm sure there's more specifics but effectively if you get away with it for 7 years, you've got away with it.

I do appreciate you're trying to help but there appears to be a bit of ignorance on these log cabins. They're far from garden sheds. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

thats what people always say but there is much more to it than that, even though broadly speaking there is some truth in it

as another poster said, the only hope you have of anything like this getting through planning is if you engage a professional - archiect/engineer etc, - who can at least advise but more likely prepare and submit an application for you. from my experience, you will almost definitely not get planning for anything other than a conventional granny flat

and temporary structures like this would still have to have planning permission, whether you actually obtain it or not is up to you. but i would strongly against just hoping that you can have it standing for 7 years and think that its all fine then, it is in no way as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe one of these would suit, easy to move later

There's no ignorance on my part. I am more than familiar with these type of structures and I am also more than familiar with planning and building regulations. But hey, if you want to believe those guys then knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

To be very clear, 7 years and enforcement cannot pursue it but it is still unauthorised. You go to sell your house, you will need retention and chances are will not be granted. Will hold up, and probably loose you a future sale.

As muffler said above, they will tell you what you want to hear but query part B and L of regs and they can't answer you. They run a mile. If something can't achieve part b fire as a minimum, I wouldn't live in it., no mind let the mother in law live there.

Glorified hobbies room at best is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

OP. All I will add is you've been given some sound advice, and fair play to you all for coming forward.

It's up to you whether you listen to any of it. If I was you, I'd certainly do so, although you are right, there are many examples of others, 'It's my land and I'll do what I want with it' types who have taken the chance. Not for me though. Good luck in how you persue it.

Thanks all. I do appreciate the advise although I will say any disparaging comments on the suitability of log cabins are just being ignored. I've been in enough of them and know of enough people happily living in them for me to confidently say they are right fit for what we want. You might not like them but that's not an opinion I'm asking for.

I'm thinking another approach on this project is to proceed with a planning application for an external living space and home offices. Since both my wife and I work from home full time it will be easy to get letters from our employers to support this. It's clear that the sticking point to all this is that the building would be used as a residence. I'm comfortable going through the planning process and stating different usage since it will still effectively be built to the same spec as regards insulation, plumbing, electricity etc. Yes I'm aware this is bending the rules but I think its a better alternative than proceeding without planning permission.

Post edited by Splinters on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s no silly questions. But to be blunt they do highlight an inexperience and perhaps some misunderstanding.

You may not intend to subdivide now, but you could charge your mind on that in future. So not really an argument in your favour.

Timeline. Will definitely be a FI request so I’d say 6-12months start to finish.

I doubt anyone would believe you’re building a 3bed guest house for occasional use. I certainly would lie about the intended use.

Coats can vary. Depends how much of the application you handle vrs a professional.

You don’t need full and final design, only the rough size and layout.

If full separation is the only workable option, that’s fine. But the application should reflect that.

Dressing it up as an annex to the original house is unlikely to fly when in reality it’s a separate independent dwelling.

Im sure you’ve seen similar. But you’ve no idea how they structured it legally. Most often the site is subdivided and a fully separate house built for a family member.

Companies that tell you planning isn’t required are lying. They are basically trying to con you out of your money. Pretty big red flag imo.1

Theres really no such thing as temporary/permanent foundations. But regardless, a temporary/demountable building has no bearing on planning in this instance. You’re building a house, it requires planing in every single council.

This is incorrect. After 7 years they can’t knock it, but you are haven’t got away with it. When you (or your children) go to sell, the issues come back up to bite you.

There are many people happily living in similar cabin type homes. These things are usually fine, until they are not.

Say there was fire or a food and the insurance company enquires if it met building registrations? Elderly people living along would of course be higher risk. Exponentially worse if somebody was hurt.

An exemption exists for a home office to be built without planning permission.

Applying for a home office, that’s triple the size of a home office and has a full kitchen and bathroom will be kinda obvious what your intent is. There will be a condition that prevents it being used as a dwelling. So once you use it as that, it’s completely unauthorised and the same as if you just built it without planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sugradh001

HI Muffler, I hope you don't mind me jumping on this tread , but can I ask , other than re sell / bequest issues, what other issues may arise from no planning permission is sought for a log cabin install. Will this impact on services - IE- Eircode / fibre / electricity / water / sanitation required ? You are correct in saying that the installation companies are ambiguous on this matter and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The obvious things are such as applying for connections to services. You would be asked for the planning reference number and perhaps a copy of this. No planning equals no connections. Then there is a risk of someone reporting the unauthorised structure. That can get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sugradh001

Great , thanks very much for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No wonder where in a accommodation crisis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

People living in sheds is a symptom of the problem, not the solution to it.

Post edited by Lumen on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,218 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cos trailer parks have been such a success wherever they'd been used..... 🙄

Ok so well continue letting people live in hotel’s & emergency accommodation & the streets so instead of letting people sort their own accommodation.

So your saying adding or giving people the option to sort their own accommodation isn’t going to help?

Might work in certain contexts.

seems to work in other country’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody living in the street is there because they were not given planning permission to build a dwelling. The costs involved are not cheap

Advertisement