Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The world of TV has changed by a gigantic degree in the last 10 years; I don't think you can quote pure numbers without considering that the landscape has changed immeasurably. Add in the important factor that Disney+ is now gonna stream the show for international audiences and that raw figure becomes half the story.

I'm nope'ing out of Dr Who at this stage for my own reasons, but I think the BBC still have a solid IP that translates well, even if the fever pitch days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Disney Plus having its own problems regarding profitability and retaining subscriptions of course... I would think the specials would sustain around the 5-6m overnight in UK figures for as long as Tennant is around but can't see Gatwa gaining much ground on JW's figures unless the writing quality is significantly overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Finally got round to watching it. Enjoyed it. Not a high point episode but not a terrible one like the 2009 specials or "Last of the timelords" etc. where RTD totally lost the run of himself. He focused on putting the characters first and that worked well even if the alien plot was a bit underwhelming. Was really fun seeing Tennant and Tate together again.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭bren2001

I thought JW was a good doctor. All the doctors overact and she was no different Matt Smith or Capaldi (none as good as Tennant).

The writing let her down. The writing was awful. The show was terrible and I don't think any of that reflects on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well the Sonic Screwdriver can do a lot more now, it seems.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Kate told The Doctor that he was now an enemy of UNIT. Or maybe I'm thinking of another series.

Now will we find out why he got his old face back or will they just carry on and never tell us? I guess will be a reveal near the end of the last episode with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTD always seemed to end these lingering stories (Bad Wolf was a long story with an ending) unlike Chibnall who could never write a proper ending and thinks we're all dumb when the next episode starts and nothing matches the previous episode (thinking The Flux in particular)

Yeah I imagine we'll find out sometime in the 3rd special.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Hmm this was already done - don't think they would go there again

I'm sorry but the actress playing Rose was terrible. Laughed when Donna talks about Rose being a terrible actor

I dunno. RTD is nothing if not grossly self indulgent when it comes to his DW writing. We've had Tennant regenerate into himself, Tennant "regenerate" into a copy of himself, 13th Doctor regenerate into Tennant, what's one more?

• Advertisement

I didn't really notice tbh. Apart from the actors playing the Doctors and notable exceptions, I'm fairly used to terrible acting on the show at this point. And the old RTD/Moffat trope of having characters repeat the same narrative line ad nauseum for dramatic effect is back.

Dunno, we have the metacrisis Doctor, and now another 'Doctor'? So that would be 3 Doctors all the same running around

Ah no. They had the pivotal line and is was so wooden that the sonic screwdriver couldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

You can also use the VPN to get a different region of Disney+, if you want the 4k Dolby Vision HDR and 5.1 sound experience. I chose Canada!

2nd time in 10 days I agree with you. Whats going on in the world =P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭corkie

@B.A._Baracus I will expect some backlash accusing it of being woke tho.

Don't known why this get traction every-time a trans person, has a trans role in a series.

Other than Sylvia odd comment about they, which I didn't click on first viewing, there wasn't a big deal about it.

They gave more time to the Sex of the 'Meep' than 'Rose' gender?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Did Jamie Clayton (Sense8) or Laverne Cox (OITNB) get that much crap in their shows?

Elliot Page seemed to not ruffle too many feathers in Umbrella either, come to think of it.

It was hamfisted, to be fair, but the real issue is the actor was completely out of their depth Vs Tennant and Tate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

see how it pans out , generally putting the opposite of immersion stuff in your show heuristically indicates it will never be top tier

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought the episode was fine. Great to see Tennant and Tate back together, the rest of the cast were fine, the Meep you could see coming a mile off but it was still pretty good and I enjoyed Margoyles' performance. The whole metacrisis thing was waved away fairly easily though. Okay, the bit about it splitting because Donna had a child, great idea, that worked well. Donna and Rose just "letting it go", that just felt far too easy a solution, and the line about a male-presenting Doctor not being able to figure it out was abysmal. But at least it's done and we get Tennant and Tate back for a few episodes.

I haven't watched in years, because while I liked Whitaker's general performance, the writing and plots were just awful and I checked out halfway through her first series (saw a few bits and pieces since then). Will give Gatwa's first series a try though.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much in the exact same spot. Just hoping that RTD can be less blunt than this episode. Some of those lines reminded me of this beaut and needed a camera nod (and I do love this delivery)

On Gatwa; I've liked his range in Sex Education so will definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I didn't mind the lines about the Doctor assuming the Meep's pronouns, or even the Binary/Non-binary bit (which I thought was actually a pretty interesting way to tie it back to Donna getting stuck on the word Binary in that big scene way back when, even if done with the subtlety of a hammer).

But that last one about a male-presenting Doctor was just horribly done because it was a horrible explanation for a horrible way of closing out that plot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not great, not terrible.

The Moopsy, I mean Meep, was fairly obvious early on.

Thought the actor playing Rose wasn't great but may get better.

Think the whole gender thing was done fairly cringe and could have been done much more naturally into the story.

Whole thing of female doctor form knowing more than male doctor form doesn't make sense to me.

Great to see Tennant back, Still have great hair.

The bug alien things looked a bit like stuff from 2005, thought they looked very cheap.

Rocket wheelchair could be handy for someone who parks on the path and you cannot pass.

Donna is same old Donna great seeing her back.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I just took the "male Timelord" thing as Donna/Tate not wanting to pass up an opportunity to slag him off about the gender transition thing rather than it being actually pivotal to figuring out how not to die from the metacrisis energy.

I took it to mean that a man would never consider that their offspring form a connection with them and hence, can share the metacrisis etc.

Two major flaws with that. Firstly, Donna didn't figure it out. The Doctor did and he is a bloke. Secondly, Rose isn't a woman. She identifies as non-binary in the episode. She isn't male or female.

The gender stuff was as subtle as a hammer but it was great to have a normal Dr Who story with an arc that isn't overtly complicated and will have a resolution as opposed to Chibnall and Moffat. I can see why they want to have a non-binary role model, I just hope they incorporate that thread into the stories a bit better.

William Hartnell Sees the Fifteenth Doctor | An Adventure in Space and Time | Doctor Who

It was also clip with Mat Smith for 50th.

https://youtu.be/6Zz2vc5ia98?list=PLKEzuOOEQvYPu4b62pPiuMJ4A5-zR2mrm&t=71

Quote from another video

when this was first broadcast in 2013, Mark Gatiss said that they'd update the scene in future repeats to feature the latest Doctor.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

When are we getting the Hayden Christensen cut?

If he has that gravitas and screen presence in the show then I will be looking forward to watching it

• Advertisement

@Stark When are we getting the Hayden Christensen cut?

Mixing up franchises? Why would Ankin be Doctor Who? :-)

Advertisement