Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

Looks like they where right! :-)

Bernard Cribbins was originally intended to appear in this episode as Wilfred Mott. However, his health prevented him from doing so, making the previous episode his final acting performance prior to his death. Wilfred still appears briefly in the episode, through use of a stand-in actor and archive audio.

From the notes, looks like they cut them scenes completely from the episode? Shooting Moles instead?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Harris was great in that, and it looks like we will see him back in the future.

As I said, following on from Tennant will be a challenge, but from what I saw at the end, the future looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

They should do a Children in Need mini episode where the now 3 different David Tennant doctors bumble around for 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Daleks have easy access to the Tardis now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whilst that was a great fun episode not sure about the bi-regeneration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thought that was pretty good. Neil Patrick Harris was excellent. A shame if he never returns.

New guy looks alright. His accent was a bit thick at sometimes but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Bigeneration thing was a load of nonsense. Was it really explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Told you guys not to underestimate RTD's self indulgence. If you told me the 15th Doctor would regenerate into Tennant again at the end of his term, I'd find it believable.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can't say I'm keen on that one. I mean, what happens now when the Tennant doctor dies? Does he start another round of regenerations?

Also continuity issue. Shouldn't he have forgotten about Clara? And what about Yasmin, Ryan, Graham and that character John Bishop played? How come the Toy Maker didn't mention them? Or Nardol for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They didn't "die" like Amy et al, they just went home thus limiting their potential to hit 14 in the guilts.

12 met an avatar of Clara during 'Twice Upon a Time' and stated he now remembered her somehow.

Love Tennant as much as the next guy, but can't help but feel this is yet another example of his Doctor serving to overshadow his successor somewhat.

I see a theory online, and it works for me, this bi-Doctor will indeed keep regenerating but only into previous incarnations as older selves, eventually becoming The Curator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

14 regenerating again seems like a total "we will cross that bridge when we get there" problem. Thats future RTD / whoever might be in charges problem to solve.

I can see it for what it is. David Tennant is really popular in the wider audience. Doctor Who is getting a bunch of money pumped into it from Disney and as part of that I can see why the powers that be want to make the most popular doctor of the modern era available again for future stories without the usual multi doctor episode weirdness. The lore / story implications are tomorrows problem to solve.

There are rumors of a new 14th doctor mini series and I suspect the only reason there wasn't a official announcement is to not completely overshadow Ncuti Gatwa's introduction. Which I think kinda happened anyway. Felt like David was till leading the charge after the regen when they probably should have made a better effort to put Gatwa in charge of the situation after that point. Could have said 14 was still hurt from the ray gun or something.

@flazio I also like the theory of the 14th becoming The Curator (Tom Baker)

Legacy

The Curator's prediction to the Eleventh Doctor that they might end up revisiting a few old faces in the years to come would come true when the Thirteenth Doctor regenerated into an incarnation that resembled a slightly older version of the Tenth Doctor. (TV: The Power of the Doctor)

Have we seen the setup of a 'UNIT' spinoff with 14th, Donna & Family?

Disney's Season 1 of the show with the split new doctor makes sense now.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know I'm probably a bit Lady Doth Protesting Too Much but have been keeping an eye on clips, official or otherwise, to see if maybe this has been worth a return.

The regeneration? Yeah was already on the way out but I'm twice as done now. Davies straight out the gate still having the SciFi nous of a 10 year old; was sick of his style the first time around but the pulling apart gag a new zenith for his nonsense. They could have done clones, transporter duplicates or alternate timelines - but chose a pantomime routine instead. Ye gods. While I'm not sold on Gatwa at all, or that trailer for the Xmas story. It has regressed back to the zany, childishness of yore.

I have wondered do we know the demographics of those watching; do kids still watch Dr Who?

Ah well, it was a good run. Wonder is it common for mods to be done with the subject they moderate 😂

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject, what does everyone think of Ncuti so far? I know, I know he was only on screen for a bit. Hardly fair to totally judge him. But the way RTD was blowing him out I thought he'd be amazing straight out of the gates. However.... he was rather underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He could do with a pair of trousers.

Don't understand how he's so upbeat and all while Tennant is still universe-weary. They're technically the same person.

Seeing the play does make me wonder why Jodie had 50 companions and all survived while Capaldi, Smith and Tennant lost, I think, all their companions through various reasons.

Eccleston and Tennant hadn't because RTD was too soft, Smith and Capaldi did because Moffat is a cruel b*sterd . Doesn't really matter about how many survived or died with Whitaker.

Probably just as well you didn't see how they made two Tardises.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Jaysus, didn't really think about it before but now that I have, it was what, a 100% kill rate with the Moffat companions?

Not sure if she counts as a companion (don't remember if she got as far as the TARDIS or not) but I remember Ryan's grandmother getting killed in the midst of Doctor shenanigans in the first episode of the 13th Doctor's run.

Ncuti Gatwa's New Sonic Screwdriver / device | Doctor Who

More of a remote than a screwdriver? Any they only just updated it for 14th?

'the sharpness of the tongue defeats the sharpness of the warrior'

Was the device ever used on a screw?

The Disney influence I think actually might kill of the show completely for me.

I'll watch the Christmas episode however I think I'll be done after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well the American influence killed Torchwood for me.

That last series was horrific.

Well HBO did a decent job with this production company on His Dark Materials so maybe the same folk can keep the mouse in cheque.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm almost curious to be told, but I can take a wild guess it comes down to the usual amount of RTD bollox.

The 15th Doctor Duplicates The TARDIS | The Giggle

Very cartoonist, but I can't find an example. Even seeming to pull the Hammer from "hammerspace" a few minutes earlier.

Jesus. That's... oh boy.

Just makes me wonder what Davies is getting out of all this. Trucks of money, or just a blank cheque for any future scripts/projects.

I really wish J Michael Straczynski had gotten a chance at it to bring a completely fresh creative outlook to it.

What makes you think there needs to be a payoff for him? I remember loads of similar silliness in the original RTD run and interviews where he thought he was the cleverest person on Earth for it.

As an aside, judging from the 15th Doctor's pristine white underwear, "accidents" aren't an issue for Timelords when regenerating.

It was odd he returned in the first place is all; it's not that common for a former head honcho to return like this and wondered what, if any, might be the incentive to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Advertisement