Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Those travellers. Oh those travellers. They're good friends of mine, friends of mine. ❤️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i1txD9fd8

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I don't think he's comment is actually out of line or inaccurate here.

There is a lot of bare knuckle fighting and feuding within the travelling community and much of it involves cousins and even brothers. Whilst we get no where by further alienating that community we also get no where by not identifying and admitting that there are significant issues within the traveller culture in respect of violence.

I cant say with 100% certainty that the event at RPH involved travellers however it was obvious across social media that many at least attended the event and i would be of the opinion based on the videos that it primarily involved them, however that is merely based on my experiences and my perception.

There are significant issues within many communities generally and ongoing impacts of alcohol and rampant drug usage.

No easy fixes here its a comprehensive, all inclusive approach that is needed to tackle these issues and it would take significant time once any new plan was initiated for the impacts to filter through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Those nutjobs behind the library protests are it again. They were abusing the staff in Waterstones book shop this time. The guards refuse to do anything about them.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I would have to agree with these views and this is supported by Irish Prison stats.

From the Irish Times:

"The Irish delegation said Travellers accounted for 0.7 per cent of the country’s population but made up 10 per cent of the general prison population and 15 per cent of the female prisoner population."

Travelers are not incarcerated because they are travellers, but are imprisoned because of their criminal and anti social behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do you think this is enlightening information that no one else knows??

But on the other hand there is a common trope that travellers are above the law and the Gardaí are powerless to do anything about their criminality. Bla bla bla.

These things can't both be true.

The fact you posted is hardly surprising. Discriminated and disenfranchised communities, the world over, have higher than average crime rates, along with lower life expectancy and high suicide rates. These are not surprising occurrences. Similarly, black people in the US have higher incarceration rates than the general population but racists will use this fact to justify discrimination. It's an endless cycle, unfortunately, it seems.

As long as the general population discriminate so blatently against travellers(as evidenced by many, otherwise decent people here), blaming all travellers for the actions of some, we will not see an end to these problems. Perhaps that what the general population wants because I don't see a will amongst regular people to do anything to help, other than gleefully punch down, crack jokes and descriminate!

Think about it, if you were born a traveller and faced a lifetime of being descriminated against, followed around shops, refused service and called names, would you have an iota of respect for society at large? I certainly wouldn't.

We as a society have allowed the problems to fester and it takes society to fix these problems. Telling it like it is, being a realist, just stating facts and continuing to discriminate isn't going to help in any way at all.

• Advertisement

I merely quoted some research to inform the conversation! I don't believe it warranted the above rant!

Merely stating facts, hu?

One person's rant is another person's reasoned argument.

Dont wade into this argument and not expect some pushback, petal.

Perhaps you might like to go through my "rant" and refute it in a reasoned and logical way if you disagree with points I've made?

Not too keen on the disparaging name calling, but could you please tell me which part of the original post that you disagree with, or you feel is wrong?

What disparaging name calling?

I dealt with your post in my "rant".

"Petal"?

Reasonable / objective discussion is clearly not going to break out here anytime soon.

Good luck

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more regarding reasonable/objective discussion.

Gosh, you are, ironically sensitive about being called, petal. 😅

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Very OT, or perhaps not, but it's funny (not haha) when the behaviour of the group is projected, a lot of the time unfairly, onto the individual.

But, aren't we all individuals, aren't we, free to make our own choices? 😉

Marginalisation and discrimination by the general population indeed. I wonder why? Maybe AGS might investigate?

So if I post a video of settled people acting the maggot, can we all make assumptions about all settled people being scumbags? Is that how it works?

It's funny that in current times, most reasonable people are able to understand the immorality of collective responsibility and collective punishment . Yet here we are with content of this thread.

Actually, it isn't funny at all. It's deeply depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭sporina

had to walk from city hall up to grand parade today.. on my route i was so many people in a bad day.. this was around 2pm... i guy crying hunger,... saw a lady rummaging thru bins and eating out of them... saw another lady begging (while crying).. people sleeping rough on Patrick St.. my heart goes out to all these folk - no one chooses to live like this

I noticed an unusually large amount of people on the streets last Monday with all sorts of problems. I wonder if there's a reason why there might more people with addiction issues on the streets on a Monday or perhaps it's coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Social welfare payment day perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,873 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Perfectly normal, sure settled people race horses on public roads all of the time, move along, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Be right back

Lousy geography..

Lovely, misunderstood, marginalised people.

Must make great neighbours! Salts of the earth!!!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41271601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd send in the army, cut all their social welfare, fine, fine, fine if not paid off to prison then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

At least the buses, trams shop aren’t being burnt to a crisp like in Dublin I guess.

Cork is generally trotting after them though, so I hope it doesn’t get to that state.

I spend my time between Dublin and Cork, so know both cities very well. Different problems and scale in either city. Traveler feuding in Cork, feral youth gangs organised by social media in Dublin.

Both have serious drug problems though on differing scales. But because of its bigger size such problems are easier to avoid in Dublin than in Cork. Cork on the other hand, because of its smaller scale these problems are more in your face, you're more likely to encounter them and therefore it is inclined to be more intimidating than Dublin. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who was responsible for the bomb scare today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

That's true enough sadly. There is parts of Dublin that are alright. The drugs problem in Cork really has gotten out of control at this stage. Pana, Oliver Plunkett Street, Grand Parade, South Mall etc, the junkies are all over the place! The authorities don't seem to care about it either. Cork really was a nice city before the heroin took a hold on things.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was in town with my wife yesterday afternoon and we had the exact opposite experience. There were plenty people out with a great atmosphere, no sign of any anti social behaviour unless you count the right wing conspiracy theorists outside Superdry. I'm sure you'd find some people off their heads if you went looking but it's generally easily avoided.

Documentary about the suicide of a young Traveller boy who was bullied airs tonight https://jrnl.ie/6233538

This

Could make for interesting, if uncomfortable viewing. Or perhaps light entertainment to some here.

• Advertisement

Or perhaps light entertainment to some here.

A bit uncalled for, given the circumstances?

Advertisement