Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Harris has just said there was no failure.

Goodbye Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. I doubt these thugs know what "far right" even means. Labelling them with an ideology or political leanings gives them way too much respect. They are simply antisocial, anti establishment, xenophobic, racist, homophobic assholes.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

it goes back much much further than a year

Dublin City is a neglected kip in many ways - not just crime - it's filthy and unkempt - there's no civic pride at all

There's a pervasive culture of neglect in all arms of the state where Dublin is concerned. Not just justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭seanjmc

I think the problem is housing.

When adults in their twenties are stuck living in tiny cramped accommodation with their parents with no way to see a way out, hope dies and despair builds.

Add to that the big influx of refugees, I can imagine many are disoriented, seeing themselves further down the queue for housing with despair turning to anger.

This affects parents, children, friends and of course those directly affected. It's in no way the fault of refugees and immigrants but I expect this has been building for a long time. We came out of lockdown but a lot of people are still locked out of housing. The government needs to provide a path to adulthood for adults with no housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are you serious? Over the last few years there has been much worse rioting in Paris,London etc and it has had no effect, zero, on tourist numbers. Hopefully what happened last night will speed up the legislation to deal with the extremests who are stirring all this anti foreigners sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes. To your credit, the entire concepts of riots and civil unrest didn't exist in any European or Western society before the common denominator immigration. In fact, Europe was very much the poster child for Utopian peaceful harmony between white European peoples and absolutely was not plagued for centuries by a largely perpetual cycle of violence, unrest or civil war — nor was it the cradle for two of the most destructive wars in human history.

We need to talk sensibly as to why the common denominator immigration is now shattering those centuries of peace and love. Above all, I think we need to have a sensible discussion about how it was actually migrants that told the rioters last night that they should torch the Luas and loot Arnotts and if it weren't for migrants these rioters would have been happily sitting at home putting up the decorations and getting ready for the Toy Show.

Those bloody common denominators, comin' ova' eeah'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Wait you mean this isn't a popular rising against the government because of Charles schwaub the replacement theory and anger at the new world order?

Are these fine rioting folks not the ground swell grass roots movement the boards right on folks have been hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Investigations ongoing - we’ll only get a brief background outline of this person in the coming days and then very little before the trial - if not related or known to the children in question (ie a random attack) then it’s quite likely it’s the same explanation given for any other such attacks we’ve seen elsewhere in Europe - I’m guessing either some form of mental illness, high on drugs or some form of radicalisation - take your pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The government needs. What about the person take on some personal responsibility, get out there and get a job but no, McDonalds too good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I agree that is a stupid comment. A riot is a little different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Probably citizen journalists when they aren't participating in riots 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's social housing in D4?

Maybe it a single house with those 6 ukranians in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

You'll only be accused of being racist, homophobic or misogynistic if you show signs of being racist, homophobic or misogynistic.

The reason that young people can't afford to buy homes here is the same as the reason they can't afford to buy homes in most of the developed world, including Australia; there has been a massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old. You and I are part of that "old". We as a generation should apologise to young people for crashing the economy and then bailing ourselves out at their expense because that's why they can't afford a place to live.

Here's some good news about this country:

The average home in Ireland costs 7.37 times and average income. The average home in Australia costs 10.58 times the average income. Housing in Ireland is more affordable than in Australia.

There is no net immigration of University Graduates; they leave and then they come back. Therefore it's incorrect to say that we are losing our brightest prospects.

On the aging population issue, facts aren't "propaganda". They are true or they are false. The fact that our population is aging is irrefutable. The fact that immigrants improve the dependency ratio is irrefutable. You can make a social argument against immigration (if you're a bit of an auld xenophobe or a racist) but you can't make an economic argument against it. The racists protesters, also known as anti-immigration protesters, should really be chanting "Hands off our handouts" because they are worried about other people competing for the handouts they scrounge from the State.

What would help would be if people over 50 (like me) agreed to work until they are 70 instead of loading more taxes on young people and agreed to a significant increase in wealth tax (also known as property tax) to broaden the tax base, create a downward pressure on property prices and reduce the tax burden on young people. But we won't because my generation, the people in our 50's, are selfish and entitled. We're not as selfish and entitled as our parents generation who think they actually earned the wealth they accrued though nothing other than property price inflation but nobody is.

So, lets stop blaming immigrants for the consequences of our stupidity, selfishness and greed because then we have a chance to actually improve things.

The people, and I use the word loosely, who rioted in Dublin last night have broken the social contract and betrayed their fellow citizens.

I hope it's not lost on anyone that it was an immigrant who saved those children yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

They attacked gardai,smashed up businesses,looted,set fire to public transport and you're describing them as "young boys doing be bad things" and "youngsters going mad".......wonder if you'd be using those sentences if your loved ones were hurt or your business affected by last night's events.

The words Scrotes and Scumbags are the perfect terms to describe anyone, adult or teenager alike who participated in last night's riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭rogber

This sort of stuff happens in France every couple of months and doesn't impact tourism industry.

It's just a load of froth that'll subside quickly.

If anything will hurt Dublin tourism it's the outrageous price of everything for what's basically a very average European city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Every big city has an underclass - Dublin is not an outlier in that regard. Last night was recreational rioting by members of that underclass, it was totally opportunistic.

Where we are an outlier is housing a large proportion of that underclass right in the middle of the city. Maybe that is something we should be actively looking to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It wasn't built because many of our citizens are not prepared to pay for such things. A typical example is the approach we took to the introduction of water charges ( a proposal to have people pay for the water we use) every gobshite with access to a hi vis jacket was out marching against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

The real problem is PBP TD's mouthing off and using this to push the 'far roish are among us and must be eradicated crap while ignoring the fact that the city centre is now owned by feral thugs. They (the thugs) have no political leanings, they just used the bad atmosphere to loot and riot, which is their default setting. McEntee failed to deal with the warnings, following serious muggings over the last two years. Result is the thuggery we saw last night. We need TD's to agree to get police on the ground, visible and make the centre safe for citizens. The immigration issue needs to be addressed. Strict controls must be implemented, we need the nurses, doctors, engineers etc, we know this. We don't need the freeloaders, scum kicked out of their own countries, and other adventurists coming here for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭xl500

Anyone with a pair of eyes could see Dublin City was getting very dangerous over the last decade at least

There are people openly stealing cars, motorbike,bikes etc etc with little or no care

I know loads of people who would not walk the North Inner City at any time of day and yet we have our Justice Minister saying the streets are safe while she's surrounded by Gardai on the same streets

I have been on holidays in Europe and their Cities always feel safer but their is a large police presence in these cities our Gardai are seldom seen when you walk around inner city Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 wavyhair

I know when I grew up in the 80s you respected your teachers and your friend's parents also in addition to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭rock22

So these "under 12 year olds" vote for SF. presumably you were able to interview them about their political preferences.

No wonder we have these far right agitators in this country with this type of post

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

hmmm, as ethnic middle eastern

I better keep my paperwork on me at all times then

in case i get jumped or stopped at a checkpoint by these scumbags,

i should have my Irish passport and original critical skills work permit ready to show.

that should make a difference, right ?

give me a break.

those are just racist scum. no paperwork is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Theyoungfella

No but I'm not naive enough to think they won't be out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Diversions in town around o Connell street eden quay, traffic a bit of a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nonsense.

I have been in Paris , Barcelona, Madrid, Milan and often felt unsafe. Large parts of those cities are ropey as f late at night.

To try to claim Dublin is the only scummy city is cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

You forgot about the Crusades.

As I said unless a sensible democratic discussion is undertaken to address people's concerns and issues it's only going to happen again and again.

Needs to be addressed quickly imo when you see what parties are gaining in other countries and even some contemplating closing borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally agree - coupled with the very effective results and responses Twitter and book face can illicit in terms of rent a mob which I saw a few examples of yesterday of those who are thick as two planks, are complete wasters for whatever sociological reason you care to choose, and have a personality that’s easily led and made up of peer influenced prejudices and fear mongering.

The sort of people who hang out in conspiracy forums and attack paediatricians in their homes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement