Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Tork

I got the impression from later comments by Eamon that he'd changed his mind on zero covid. I think Tomás Ryan really scared the sh*t out of Eamon. I noticed that even when other contributors to radio shows had started to come into studio, Eamon stayed at home and spoke over the phone. Having said that, it's easy to see why he's nervous about catching covid. He has emphysema after a lifetime of smoking and even a common cold can cause problems for a sufferer. Who's to say the early strains of covid wouldn't have made him very ill or worse? It's easy to be wise after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Enjoyed the episode with Diarmuid Ferriter alright. I think deep down Éammo can’t hide his disappointment that he didn’t get an OBE !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭robwen

Is Eamon on holidays or has he gone exclusive on some platform? No podcast for 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Jaysus Eamon has a bad habit of letting regular guests do a summary of yht story to date or maybe I've only heard it on the Fionnan Sheahan pods about Tubridys pay. Nearly half of the 30 mins taken up with it. What's the point of putting out regular pods covering a story over a matter of weeks or months, if you're wasting time doing a synopsis every time. Headwrecking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've given up on the stand, but I definitely noticed that there's always been a tendency for each podcast on a specific topic to cover a lot of already covered ground and then give a little bit extra at the end. Which is great if you're new to the topic, but very annoying if a regular listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

giles on this morning's podcast saying stephen kenny should get a contract extension. but also saying we've a great crop of players now. doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I really don't think John watched the French and Dutch games.

Both of them were all over the shop, Eamo thought we were at home to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Whats up with eamo and the rte rugby panel. His last couple of rugby podcasts he has being given them sly digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not a regular Stand listener but I'd imagine D O'B is the kind of smug smarmy git who would run Eamon up the wrong way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Phillip O'Connor in complete denial of the failed experiment of a multicultural society based on mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thought the conversation with John Giles on Bobby Charlton was really good, and quite sad in how Giles described him as getting even quieter after Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Is there anyone left alive who was on the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think Bobby Charlton was the last remaining survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Good listen right enough.

Makes a change from John's usual lazy ramblings about what he read in the paper with reminders from Eamo that the whole country was hanging on his every word and didn't want to hear from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I listened to The Stand for the first time in months this week to hear Giles and Dunphy on Man Utd.

Highlights included Dunphy calling Gary Neville a windbag for having an opinion on everything (!) and him confidently telling Giles that Arambat had been signed from Ajax.

I won’t bother listening again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

Your loss pal. We’ll never have the likes of JG or ED again.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭JKerova1

On their discussion about Stephen Kenny John Giles has no idea that Irish players were not allowed to go to England until they were over 18. He hadn't a clue who the manager of the u21 team was either. Eamon didn't even seem to know that Evan Ferguson was over in England before he was 18 because of his mother being English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Eamon and John are too far out of touch with the modern game. John is still very good and I could listen to him all day but for that slot to work they need someone else on to bounce off and to correct their obvious mistakes! I think John is much better when he's on to talk about some specific topic thats close to his heart, e.g. the Bobby Charlton tribute a few weeks ago rather than yet another episode bitching about Pogba and his ilk.

it was also far better when Liam Brady used to join in, it really needs that different viewpoint, someone a little more in-tune with the modern game, but sadly Liam has retired from it all now (he confirmed as much in his own dedicated episode earlier in the week).

I'm no great fan of Gary Neville but I think he's a solid pundit, so Eamon calling him a "windbag" is a bit ridiculous. The irony seems to be lost on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

John isn’t going to want to listen to anyone correcting his mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree that Liam is a big loss. Even occasional disagreements gives it a bit of variety. Otherwise ED is too inclined to agree with JG, even if it reflects how much he respects his opinion. They have had Didi on a few times a while back if im correct? Could do with him back.

Is Liam up to anything now?..did he just retire due to his disdain for the modern game?

Yeah Didi used to be a regular in early days of that podcast but I don't think he's been on it at all for a few years now. Dunphy has also occasionally made a few disparaging remarks about Didi's RTE analysis, probably in regard to Didi's criticism of Stephen Kenny... and Eamon won't hear a bad word said about Kenny. So maybe there was a bit of a falling out there. Eamon of course has form for falling out with people...

I did think Liam would keep up the podcasts and occasional radio contributions but it seems he's decided to step away entirely. Its a shame because I think he's still pretty sharp on the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Didi is a big analyst on German tv and does games for rte. He probably has enough money coming in to not have to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Love John and Eamo but I tend to agree with most of what you've said here. The "Kids don't play ball on the streets" line has gotten very old at this stage

No worries pal, I remember when Giles and Dunphy were essential viewing. Those days are long gone unfortunately

I agree. Maybe he doesn’t want to end up like what John and Eamon have become. Thought he was still by far the best on the RTE panel when he finished up though

Yeah there’s probably an element of that and I agree that he’d still be a better pundit than any of RTE’s current crop.

I can definitely relate to the points he made when he decided to retire from the TV work - that he was getting a bit fed up and disillusioned with the modern game - the money, the sports washing, the endless VAR controversies, etc.

Eamonn’s 2-part podcast with him is worth a listen, covering his recent autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Westernview

It feels like we are coming near the end of an era doesn't it?. Liam gone, Souness retired, John and Eamon (for all their faults) wont be around forever and will be greatly missed.

Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic but apart from Roy Keane (like him or loathe him) it feels like the whole scene will be very dull and sanitised. Even Didi almost seems irritable having to analyse alongside his new restrained colleagues. God be with the days when I looked forward to the half time studio row as much as the game itself.

• Advertisement

The pre- and post- game analysis used to be better than the game itself. I can remember the glory days of Dunphy Giles and Brady on RTE’s Champions League coverage, “This guy Ronaldo is a cod”, “I’ll tell you who wrote it” etc etc. Absolutely must-see viewing. I used to listen to the Last Word on match days to try and work out if it was pre-recorded so as to know if Dunphy would be on TV that night!

These days I never bother with the panels, particularly on RTÉ, which seem to have been picked to be as bland and controversy-free as possible. God forbid that someone might say something that the arseholes on Twitter would subsequently complain about.

Advertisement