Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

Thanks for the response, very useful information. The system isn't in yet, I was looking at getting it done as part of the install. Yes, it is a Huawei.

It seems it would not be worth the hassle or expense just to avoid the inconvenience of a power cut once or twice a year (if even that.) Different story if someone had medical equipment or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭deezell

Inverter must be capable of off grid operation, without being tied to a mains input. On grid inverters, even hybrid with a battery, will stop when the mains is absent.

Sungrow have inverters that have a split output, ongrid and offgrid. You seperate your consumer circuits, and place up to 2kw, iirc, on the off grid output of the Sungrow. It will supply these circuits from the grid when power is on, then switch to off grid if power fails, panels and batteries permotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vandeman

Is this quote ok ?

10x 400w panels, Hybrid inverter, 5kwh battery, My Energi hot water diverter and BER for €9600 afte grant ???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

what are you hoping to achieve? Do you want 1-2 “backup” sockets to work in the event of an outage?

of do you want certain circuits to work? For example; lighting, heating,

or do you want everything in your house to work?

do you know which inverter and battery your getting?

Do you also want the panels to be able to provide power in the event of an outage?

In my naivety I thought it would be a fairly straightforward job to power the whole house. Thanks to the posts above, I now realise that it's a big job and big expense. Now, I'd actually be happy if I could just have a double socket working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah, We put it in my Dad's supply as we were changing the consumer unit anyway, and running new cables for solar too. so the extra cost wasnt huge, as we were starting from almost scratch anyway. Dont have a specific cost as it was part of the whole job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Speaking to two suppliers at the moment, no idea if good or bad value. Apologies if I shouldn't post this here

Supplier 1

5.7 KW Solar PV System.

12 x 475 Watt Jinko Solar Tiger Neo Panels (25 Years Warranty).

1 x Huawei Hybrid Inverter (10 Years Warranty, and battery ready).

1 x Huawei 5KW Battery (10 Years Warranty).

1 x BER Rating. 

Net cost after the SEAI grant: €10,500, without battery €8,500

Supplier 2

•   10 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   5kwh battery storage 

•   My Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER 

Net cost after the SEAI grant: €9,600 or €5,600 without the battery

It’s mainly a matter of running an additional cable between the inverter and the consumer unit. And depending on what your trying to achieve; a bit of reconfiguration of the breakers in your consumer unit. Electricians might make it sound complicated; but it’s very simple.

i wasn’t trying to discourage you; i was just trying to know what your looking do implement so i can better advise you.

which inverter? Its implemented differently for different inverters.

They just said it's a 5kw Huaweii inverter, Sun2000 5ktl l1.

Post edited by Comer1 on

It would be an identical setup to mine; I have the same equipment. I’d you want I can give you the details. I have some diagrams I drew at the time also.

• Advertisement

Thanks, my installer is looking for €1200 to €1400 for it. I have no idea if that's a fair price or not, but either way I'm not prepared to pay that much. If it was a few hundred on top of the install, I'd be all for it. Is it something I could get another electrician to do afterwards I wonder.

Got a quote today of interest - though had never seen the brand of the inverter/battery before so want to scope that out first.

Don't want to buy something that relies on a cloud integration if at all possible to be able to get the data out of the system.

5.22x Tier 1. Jinko 435Wp black solar panel cost per kW

Each: €1,338 Amount: €6,984.36

1x Livoltek Hybrid INV + BATT. All in one hybrid inverter and 5kWh battery

Each: €4,162.99 Amount: €4,162.99

12x Flat roof. Ballast kit for flat roof cost per panel

Each: €75 Amount: €900

1x BER. Allowance for BER

Each: €350 Amount: €350

1x NC6. ESB NC6 Application

Each: €50 Amount: €50

1x Misc. 10% Winter Discount - Valid until Nov 30th

Each: -€1,244.74 Amount: -€1,244.74

Proposal total: €11,202.61

No grant possibility unfortunately.

Quote compares very favourably to what I've previously gotten - but don't think it's the best I could possibly do or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I'd leave it to be done anyway to make sure that they don't ruin the super-insulation / air-tightness of the house I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Hi All

I am getting 14 x Denim Glass 430Wp panels (6.02Kw System).

I've been offered 2 different kinds of set ups and I am not sure which one is better or worse.

Option 1:

1 x Solar Edge Inverter (12 yr Warranty)

1 x SolarEdge Import / export meter

1 x Eddie / Solar Edge Hot water diverter.

Option 2:

1 x Huawei Hybrid Inverter (with 10 years warranty)

1 x Huawei Import / Export Power Sensor

1 x Eddi Hot Water Diverter (with 3 years Labour and Parts Warranty) - Dont know the brand but think its the MyEnergi one.

Obviously the 2 year warranty helps but is there much of a difference? I will probably add a battery in the future once the prices come down.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

*Cost of system is €9k before grant applied.€6600

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

12 x 430w jinko panels

SL rack mounting kit

5Kw Huawei inverter

Water diverter

10Kw Huawei battery + BMS

Huawei car charger

BER

All electrical components, isolators, cable, power meter etc..

€9,950 after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Not sure about he Solar edge, but my understanding is that with the huawei inverter you are limited to huawei battery ( and possibly one other type) if you chose to add later. Not compatible with other batteries.

I found this out after paying deposit for huawei system. My own fault for poor research and haste. Anyway I didn’t get a battery and possibly never will if FIT stays reasonable.

It requires a 500 euro additional bit of equipment; more cable and reorganisation of you consumer unit. Those prices arnt exorbitantly high but it’s up to you whether it’s worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Hi all, anyone know if the below price is reasonable? Also another input, advice or questions i should ask would be greatly appreciated.

8 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   5kwh battery storage 

•   Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical works

•   Online monitoring

•   BER 

€ 9500 Final Cost

Or

€ 5500 Final Cost without battery's.

Should I get battery's or not. We don't have an electrical car?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Rip Rip Rippity Rip off^^^

I was gonna get panels but after a few quotes I'm not gonna bother. 2 people on here got good quotes over the last 4 months or so. One of those companies wouldn't quote me at all as Im outside there area and the other added thousands on to the same spec as the one listed on the site here.

So I'm not bothering at all now. And I got a few more quotes myself and the guys that come out are idiots, contradicting each other. Or trying to pressure sell. F-off.

And actually the second company that added thousands wrote to me a few weeks later and asked had I any questions or did I want to proceed...I didn't reply but I might ask why they added thousands on or something just to see their stupid reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Sounds like the they dodged a bullet 😂.

Why don't you do a diy install?

In reading above, It would appear that some commentators are looking at the retail cost for providing the hardware only and then are in shock when a company add anything on top of that.

There are so many overheads in solar installs which include:

Labour - good luck finding roof installers and when you do, factor in pay, PRSI, pension, etc... it is expensive. Good luck finding an electrician on the SEAI list and when you do be prepared to pay them 80k.

Cost of Van + running costs, ain't cheap....

Public liability insurance, factor in working from height, premiums explode once this is mentioned.

Doing it right involves scaffold, ropes, training, how many installers do you see doing this? This all costs a lot of money... You do know that if someone falls off your roof, you are liable!

Also a house has to be at a certain electrical standard before it is suitable for solar. Then there are all the SAFE regs and SEAI requirements.

Then there is getting jobs, surveys, etc... all costs money. Also warranties and callouts post installation need to be considered and added to operating costs.

And then, shocker, a company would like to make a profit for all the work involved!

In reference to the quote for 9.5k above, there is no context to the state of the existing electrical situation, is it up to code, consumer unit, tails etc? On the electrical front, outside of the solar hardware, just as an indication 9f additional costs, there are requirements for fireman switch, 4mm and 6mm insulated cable, trunking, RCDs, power meter, isolators etc... just to buy this hardware would cost between 300-500 depending on length of run. Then you have to get someone to install it all and certify it!

The calculator from David Hunt does not factor any of above in, people need to get real here!! Doing business in Ireland is very expensive.

To note I have no affiliation with any solar company, I am looking at getting it installed in my house and have done the research as to what it actually costs. My checklist includes, high-end hardware, reputable company, this means, will they do a safe job, scaffold, public liability insurance, ensure my existing electrics are up to code and are they likely to be around in a couple of years. To get someone like this and a job done to my standards costs money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Explain a quote on here for 7k then me asking the same company for a quote for exact same thing and getting quote for 10k.

Thats without anyone coming out to survey. So probably more.

Thats the problem.

Ireland is expensive cuz of this carry on.

The David hunt calculator does factor all that in, it's based on experience here over the last few years. It's just in a more convenient than trying to work it out ourselves

If going on cost price alone + vat (0% vat on domestic installs) for all the hardware alone for a 8kwp last December was about 5k.

Panels have got cheaper in the last year too, just looking now that each panel would be 60 cheaper for a more powerful panel(both longi, 375vs420). Take that reduction in 22 panels, that's about 1300 off the cost.

A straight 8kw system, comes in on the calculation at 8k after grant (which is 10400 without the grant)

Plenty of margin there. And we consider that good value.

I am not making excuses, just pointing out the cost of doing business in Ireland, as I operate in a different business with significant overheads. that cost has to be passed on, in order to make a profit. I agree some companies are completely taking the p*ss, buyer beware so do your research!!

We are experiencing a gold rush in Ireland regarding solar at present. From my research and calling around for the best part of a year there are a lot of cowboys out there giving reputable companies a bad name.

In regard your question above, don't know specifics but that would seem like price gouging for the 10k or cutting corners for the 7k or a combination of both.

For example I got quoted 2k for a mounting rack and 500 for a mounting rack, thought I was being gouged. When I looked into it, they were different racks, one bring the premium SL Rack brand, hence the price differential.

From talking to some companies I do get a sense of gouging as I have gained a lot of knowledge over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I just did a 8.kw system with 6kw inverter with all isolaters/firemans switch system on midsummer.

comes in at 4100e ex vat (trade prices)

Add say 200 for misc cable/trunking/glands etc

• Advertisement

In my opinion it is misleading considering the cost of doing business in Ireland, for example an electrican will cost 80k+ now.

In fairness David does point out "Note: Guide price only for standard installs.Does not include groundworks or extras like optimisers, etc"

What hardware are you talking about, be specific, list it all out, including all additional equipment required. I use midsummer.ie.

From my research panels have not dropped 60 in last year.

I will agree that there are a lot.of individuals and companies out there who are using the grant and 0 VAT rate as additional profit, which is wrong.

I am not defending anyone here, there are gougers out there, for which we all have no time for. I am merely pointing out the high cost of doing business in Ireland, especially when you have height and electricity in the mix!!

I found this website good, before I educated myself on the whole process!

https://www.solarcompare.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement