Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Cables, mounts, inverter, isolators (although no fireman) , all that was needed.

It was for a steel roof though, so micro rails Vs full rails, straight inverter, not a hybrid.

Longi panels cost me 140+ vat last year. Can pick 420w up now on midsummer for 82.

It's up to the consumers to keep the competition keen, and for a smaller system to get to the 1k/kwp is unlikely due to fixed costs, on the bigger systems it's not impossible.

What I am saying is that it's not impossible to get to the guidelines, you see quotes here that do get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

82 + vat

I paid 94 + vat for them mid October.

Its a joke that the 0% vat is'nt available for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭deezell

Are you saying €80k yearly wage? You'd wouldn't get that with Ph.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,778 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im not sure what point you are making, most people with PHDs are academics or academically inclined, they dont tend to be the highest paid people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

What would you say is a fair price for the labour to install an 8 panel roof mount system? Just labour; nothing else.

Maybe we can figure out if it’s a fair price using this approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

17 x435watts Jinko

Van der valk 

5kw huawei  Inverter

BEr included 

6360 after grant 

5kw huawei battery €9360

10kw huawei Battery €11560

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

one of the company I got qoute from told me that grants are going down next year and I should apply for SEI grant before 15 Dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

Almost identical to my price, which is very good. I don't think you'll do better. My guess is that you are in Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

There are electricians making alot more then 80k and they are only employees.

Solar companies are making obscene profits. Another few years and more companies will start up wanting their share of the pie and prices will have to come come down

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

Good price; perfectly fair increments for all the options. I’d lock in the 10kWh option and don’t look back. Well done.

Was aiming for 15kwh, apparently there’s a new 7kwh huawei very close so might get 2.

This one:

Available Feb 2024. Definitely will be priced at a premium when it’s released. Part of the reason your getting a decent price on the 5kWh modules is the pending release of this.

id lock in the 10kWh system now and assess your usage and need and add another 5kWh module later if needed.

they will continue to sell the 5kWh modules after the 7kwh modules come to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Just had panels installed and yes the weather isn't great but ...

In the MyEnergi app I notice that if I am getting 1.5 kW from the panels that my house usage goes to roughly 2kW.

If it clouds over then the house usage seems to drop in line with the panels.

So generating .5 kW and then the house usage drops to 1kW.

The app is picking up on kettle being boiled so it seems accurate.

I could be sitting here in the house with no-one else and see the usage rise and fall in line with what the panels are generating.

Have I lost my mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭amorgan

hi there. i'm hoping to get a solar array fitted on my SSE facing, mid terrace house. I'm told that because there are 2 velux windows, that the tiled roof area isn't plausible and that i can only get them on the flat roof extension. i've been quoted €4900 inc vat after grants for a 3.3Kw 6 x 550w array. they orignally quoted €5.9 for 8 x 550w but now say that won't fit.

I've plugged this into the solar quote analyser and it says it's above the upper limit of the price guide. Does this sound particularly high? it was a quote with a "one stop shop" that contacted me through an energia.ie request form. i was hoping to get a larger array, but their remote survey claimed that 6 x 550w would be the maximum. the attached image is the roof from google maps. for size reference, it's an extended standard 70s dublin mid terrace.

i've been reading the guides, but my knowledge base from this is fairly limited. any advice would be great!

edit - i'm using approx 5000 units/year on a home with electric rads and immersion. is this the best kind of setup for me? any guidance there would also be very welcome

Post edited by amorgan on

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I have just been quoted for Demin panels, this was the first time I had heard of them as all other quotes are for Jinko N.

Any thoughts on these?

We dont qualify grant & our usage is 12,000 a year - we have 1 EV, all companies have said we dont have a need for a battery due to high usage & EV to fill up.

Quotes coming in so far - €13,400 (Huawei inverter, 16 panels), €12,100 (Sofar, 18 panels) & €11,000 (Huawei, 16 panels)

Would love some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭deezell

It's going out to the grid most likely. Does you app report feed to grid separately? It should know as it increases inverter voltage by a greater amount to push current down the grid, but it can only tell if its going either to local load or out through your meter by measuring the direction of of the current at the meter, which I think is done with a current sensor clamped on the live tail. Other wise it will record all power pushed out as local use, but your smart meter should record it as feed in, which is really feed out. If you have a smart meter, you can press the button and get a cumulative reading of reverse feed. If its the old type meter, the spinning watt meter will slow or reverse as panel output reaches and exceeds local use. You can afaik get FIT with non smart meters, or you could, based on a calculation of your system output, and your recorded usage, they'd come up with a flat rate for excess. I don't know if still is the case, but its in the ESBN literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I am debating whether to get the hot water diverter and is it worth it. Would keep heating the hot water then ahead of exporting. Im just wondering are you wasting energy constantly heating water tank. Would it be better value just heat the water as needed and let it export. Itd be baths for kids and hot water for sink is all we need. Shower is electric. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭DC999

Yes re 'would it be better value just heat the water as needed and export excess'. Though some with water diverters here like the convienience of hot water on damage. But it won't pay for itself. Heat tank on cheap night rate if you have a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

12*430 JA Solar

5kw Solis Inverter

5kWh Dyness battery

1 Eddi

Quoted €10573 not including seai grant

Opinions?

Its an east facing end of terrace with roofs facing east west and south so if i want panels on all 3 id likely need optimisers. The calculator is suggesting its about 500 above the high end.

I know your still getting quotes but I think you'll get that under 9k with (no grant or Battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭DC999

Apples V apples: When getting quotes, ask for the wattage on the solar panels so you can compare the cost per kW (or 1000watts). Also ask for the inverter size in kW. 

I agree you don't need a battery. Reason is 1) a small battery will do less as you've high usage - using 32kWh a day (averaged 12000kWh over the year, but in reality winter will be higher). 

2) Move the EV charging and household stuff like washing machine, dishwasher, immersion... to cheap night rate on your smart meter. Then get paid FIT for unused units and buy cheap power at night. You can always get a battery at a later stage. 

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

@DC999 thank you! I’ve 3 companies all the same panels & inverter now so it’s just down to price next.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I've had three quotes and they are all much higher than what people are saying they are getting on this thread.

1. 3kw system + 2.4Kwh battery = after grant 6,350.
    2. 3kw system + 2.4Kwh battery = after grant 7,450
    3. 4Kw system + 5Kwh battery = after grant 11,746!!!!! (I do appreciate I am getting maybe a good bit more here)

I'm in Dublin, does that make a massive difference???

We weren't going to bother with a battery but one of the companies is maintaining that you can fill it with cheap electricity at night and then use that to start your day which did make some sense I thought. But am I spending a lot to save pennies????

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks.

I was active-ish on this thread a few years ago when I got quotes on two different occasions to get solar panels installed on the roof of my semi-d home in Dublin. I regret not pressing go back when i first obtained quotes as prices shot up for the next few years after that, and I decided to park the idea until costs came down. I intend to get a series of quotes early in the new year, and hopefully get them installed in March/April when the brighter weather returns.

Back when I got my first set of quotes (approx. 2.5/3 years ago), the rough rule of thumb I was told on this thread was your price was reasonable if you paid roughly €1000 per kW (excluding batteries, and taking account of grants). What is the equivalent rule of thumb these days, and have prices reduced in recent times?

Thanks a lot folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

A calculator here http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ to give you a rough guide. Just beware the grant drops by €300 in January. More info in the stickies here https://www.boards.ie/categories/renewable-energies

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 505315

Hi guys

This is the quote I got from **** for a Solar PV installation and a new boiler with a hive zoning system. I'm not sure if this is a good price overall for the job and as I understand it this is after a couple of discounts they applied seeing as we are getting so much done together with them. Would love some honest feedback. We've been dealing with some crazy bills for the last couple of years so I'm pretty tempted to go with these guys to get the entire job done in one go unless the prices are absolutely ridiculous. If it is as outlandish as I suspect it would be greatly appreciated if some tested and trusted alternative installers can be recommended. We're located in Portlaoise so any local people or even people with experience with these guys your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post edited by 505315 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kevinr7213

Hey the general rule of thumb these days seems to be around the €1200 mark per kW. Just get plenty of quotes. I was in much the same position as you. Two years ago I had recieved alot of quotes but unfortunately we discovered a leak in the roof. To make a long story short, eventually got it sorted. Started the whole process of looking for quotes again 4 weeks ago. There were huge variations in prices for similarly spec'ed systems. Finally settled on a local installer (cork) who was able to hit the €1000 per kW. 5.66kw system, E/W split, hybrid inverter, BER included. The price of pannels have dropped dramatically this year, you should be able to find a competitive quote no problem. Some good advice on this fourm, and if struggling for competitive quotes there are some very helpful Solar PV groups on Facebook. Best of luck with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement