Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any party or person worth voting for in modern-day Irish politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely disgusting that once again the good republicans will close their ears to reports of abuse of female unionists and dismiss it as mere criticism.

The Shinnerbot phenonemon on social media is now well accepted, but it does not make for a welcoming environment for women who differ from Sinn Fein. Whether you are Arlene Foster or Mairia Cahill or Helen McEntee, you know that they are always coming for you with abuse and misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,071 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I criticised Foster.

I did not 'abuse' her.

I'd include Mary Lou McDonald, Louise O'Reilly, Michelle O'Neill, Emma De Sousza, and many other women on social media who are abused here on boards and on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats because in the larger city councils, 20% of the money is ultimatley transferred out of the area to support rural counties.

So why charge your constituents more in Dublin City if 1 household in 5 is giving all the money to Roscommon?

Thats hardly a vote winner, whatever colour your political skin.

Especially given that any shortfall to deliver essential services will come from central govt anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

True, but via central funding reductions it still does, Ultimatley.

i.e. Dublin City keeps it money from the 1 in 5 LPT, but loses the central funding to Roscommon instead.

So same outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Francis McM

So you think the Arlene Foster and her family never got abused, nor Maria Cahill or Jean McColville or thousands of others. ....because there was "no alternative" according to "good republicans".

Yet you whinge about Mary Lou McDonald, Louise O'Reilly, Michelle O'Neill, Emma De Sousza, and many other women on social media getting abused here on boards? What abuse did Mary Lou McDonald, Louise O'Reilly, Michelle O'Neill, Emma De Sousza get on boards that you are so upset, pray tell?

This is just a bizarre claim.

Where did I say Arlene Foster and her family never got abused?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It does, because by not applying the discount, you are asking the propery owners to pay an amount that is otherwise covered by central govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Francis McM

When her father was shot and on another occasion her school bus bombed, according to you and other SF supporters they were "legitimate targets" and there was "no alternative", and according to you it was "war"?

To get back to the thread subject, it is a pity the parties who had a track record of destroying an economy, by shooting, kidnapping, bombing, scaring off FDI etc, bank robberies etc have said there was "no alternative", and unlike the other main parties in this state in the last 100 years do not have a track record of building an economy.

Not just "whether you are Arlene Foster or Mairia Cahill or Helen McEntee, you know that they are always coming for you with abuse and misogyny."...if you are a journalist they are also coming for you with lawsuits.

Recently Michelle O'Neill took someone to court - and cost them £12000 in legal fees after they remarked she would be "put back in her kennel".

• Advertisement

When her father was shot and her school bus bomber, according to you and other SF supporters they were "legitimate targets" and there was "no alternative", and according to you it was "war"?

Where did I say anything about her father?

I knew her father, they lived about a mile away from where I am sitting now.

I said NOTHING about him being a legitimate target.

This is just disgraceful dogwhistling debating.

...that isn't how maths works.

You are fundamentally misunderstanding this. There is no change to central government funding for any variation in LPT.

Councils take the entire hit if they reduce and keep the entire increase if the increase. DCC's odd coalition of far left and right who hate property tax for utterly different reasons decide to take the hit.

This "excuse" was used back in the equalisation days - "if we increase it we give away more money!" and that is why equalisation doesn't exist. The only thing that loses funding is public services within the county.

Then how would a county in deficit make up the shortfall, if it wasnt receiving LPT transfers?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: @Francis McM I've sent you a PM regarding this. Please don't post in the Politics forum until you've replied to me.

Edit: poster banned for three months

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

In an ideal world, yes :)

But in reality, there must be additional levels of central govt funding support.

What we need to do is increase the freedom of county councils to set higher and lower rates and abolish the central transfer. Then we could have real local elections where people vote on the basis of whether they want higher LPT and better services or lower LPT and worse services.

There isn't.

Your info is utterly out of date and you're trying to patch it to make sense of it rather than accept that the old system is gone.

Broke councils like Sligo who used to cut their rate are now forced to go +15% cause there's not a single cent extra coming to them from other councils or a state fallback for running a deficit

LPT is only one element of council funding remember - they have other sources of funding. But you are still trying to think that the old LPT structure is still there

I understand the old system isnt there anymore. I am not disagreeing with you.

But I seem to recall that some councils were running >15% deficit on their LPT, so an increase to even the max 15% wouldn't cover the delta.

Now it could be that as a result, the councils spend less, as you say.

But it could also be the case that additional central funding makes up the shortfall, as there are other sources of govt funding, again, as you point out.

But if the additional central funding increases to close the delta, then someone, somewhere, is losing out, as they have lost spend that was previously allocated to them.

Its a difficult one to calibrate across all the councils as the income generation capabilities is so varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭TokTik

Stability??

Health service is a disaster, money pit and getting worse. Nurses that can’t afford to live here.

Housing is an absolute mess.

AGS is haemorrhaging staff and we’ve a revolving door prison system.

Education has massive classes, in portacabins up and down the country, with teachers leaving because they can’t afford to live here.

We’ve almost 2m extra people in the country in the past decade? How many extra hospital beds have we? How many extra prison spaces? School places?

What you call stability will soon be shown to be built on a foundation of sand with MICA bricks. Is there anything in the country actually improving or getting better??

Leprechaun economic stability based on MNC tax take that could disappear at any time.

• Advertisement

I like the idea, but I guess it is unequitable for the more rural counties whom dont have the population (or the house prices) to generate enough income to make their 15% count for much.

But on a personal note, I would quite happily pay more if i knew there was an ROI, above and beyond what we recieve today from DCC.

But I would want it fully costed and segregated from core spend. I know I would never get that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We don't have 2m extra people here in the last decade. Not even close.

2011: 4,588,252

2022: 5,149,139

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The house prices issue isn't what should be driving the level of LPT. The amount of services should be driving that. If services cost more in rural areas because of the dispersed population, then those living there should pay for that.

Can't supply you with food without a dispersed rural population.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So roughly what % of people living rurally are farmers?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Does it matter?

The nature of rural life is dispersal. You cannot have farmland otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭TokTik

Fair enough, we’ve almost a million more. How many more hospital beds have we? School places? Prison places? Houses?

When I was younger and the country was a lot poorer our bins were collected, you’d often see street sweepers out cleaning the roads, plenty of council house building going on, rentals available without selling your firstborn, lots of apprenticeships available. What’s improved since then? How’s the children’s hospital going?

To claim that Ireland is “stable” is to have your head well and truly buried in the sand. Ireland is a plaything to those with money connected to the “elite”.

Its 5.3 million as of April this year.

We will be 5.4 million by year end.

Its true, but it is also logical that some services are going to cost more in absolute terms to a dispersed population than a concentrated one.

Waste management services for instance. It is a lot more expensive and time consuming to serve a thousand people in rural Mayo than the same mumber in a single apartment complex in Cork or Dublin.

• Advertisement

I see your point and I dont disagree, where the delivery of service is genuinely more expensive.

Which I am sure it is in a lot of cases.

I'd love to see the Healy Rae response though! *gets popcorn*

Advertisement