Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How do we not recognize it as "an in game decision"? What does that even mean?

"based on what the coach thought was best"...the whole point being made was that people disagree with his "thought" based on the evidence before our eyes during the game.

Why is it arrogance to propose that AF decided that it was less risky to stay with Sexton. Its always easier to stay with the incumbent, but that doesnt make it the right call every time.

What about the fact that others such as Ronan O'Gara have said it was the wrong call? https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ronan-ogara-believes-blunted-johnny-sexton-should-have-been-taken-off

Are you so arrogant to believe you know better than one of the best out halves we have ever had who is also currently a top tier coach? Shame on you.

Finally, who is going further than disagreeing? Are you somehow suggesting that posters here are waging some sort of war against AF in real life? If so I suggest you take a step back and realise that this is a discussion board and what people are doing is discussing the game and the decisions made and not made. Thats the whole point of the place chief!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why is it arrogance to propose that AF decided that it was less risky to stay with Sexton.

Because you cannot know that much less prove it.

Finally, who is going further than disagreeing? 

People are suggesting it was the reason we lost the match.

It wasn't.

Was looking at Two Cents podcast there and he wasn't talking about a hamstrung coach, fatigued or out on their feet Irish players, nor that they were running around like headless chickens nor bottlers or chokers, nor that they froze (as has all been claimed here by different posters) he was talking about NZ surviving a 30+ phase onslaught and the luck they got to win a close fought match.

Discuss away, nobody stopping that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

2 cents podcast is hardly cutting edge analysis. He basically just reports what happened in the match and very very rarely makes any judgement calls on whether the referee or management, or player decisions were correct or not

Which is fine, but we alreadly know what happened in the match. What is interesting, is why those things happened, were there any mistakes made, and whether we can learn from any of those mistakes?

We can all point to the dropped balls or botched tries and say 'well, they shouldn't have given away that penalty or should have passed that ball better..." but I think the players are not the reason we lost the game. The coach built the team, and the team the coach built lost the game, and a big part of that, was trying to see out a RWC QF with a 38 year old Out Half who was IMO, exhausted by 55 mins in, and then not replacing him for the final 20 minutes when we could have had multiple opportunities to go and win the game with a fresher and more impactful out half on the pitch.

I called him on this months ago. That relying on Sexton to play every minute of the important games would cost us the RWC. I was accused of all sorts of nasty things for making that call.

2 cents podcast is hardly cutting edge analysis

A bit more cutting edge than some of the comment here. Didn’t bother reading the rest of your post we are basically just repeating the same stuff. Rugby has started again and the road to the next WC begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I fail to see the relevance to my post

Im positive if you check every thread for the last 10 years you will find people posting that sexton should be taken off no matter how he is playing.

• Advertisement

Ok, so disagreeing with someones decision is arrogance now? So are you being arrogant in disagreeing with me and Ronan O'Gara? Is AF also being arrogant? Can you see where this sort of thinking leads to? Its not very productive.

People are suggesting that we might have won the match with fresher legs at out half, thats different than saying leaving Sexton on is the reason we won. But in any case, people are perfectly entitled to think that playing Sexton is the reason we lost the match. What exactly is wrong with that? This nonsense that its somehow arrogant to disagree with the team the coach picked and his in game decisions is just ludicrous. People disagree with coaching decisions all day long in every sport.

A few of the usual suspects said that Ireland are bottlers and headless chickens or chokers or that they froze. The rest of us are simply continuing the in game conversation that our OH was too tired to be meaningful towards the end of the game.

To equate the two groups of posters is simply farcical and bordering on trolling/WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It probably took you longer to type out the fact tat you 'didn't bother reading the rest of my post' than it would have taken you to actually read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You want to hang onto ROG's words, despite him also saying he wouldn't have taken Sexton off.

You are claiming

that AF decided that it was less risky to stay with Sexton.

If that doesn't smack of arrogance, I don't know what does.

Does it dawn on you at all that he may have had other reasons, like some of the one's outlined?

People have said emphatically, we lost the match because of it...not 'suggesting it'. Here's yourself:

The fact is we kept the tired old guy on and lost

*The meaning of 'having to make in-game decisions' BTW is that he wasn't sitting on his sofa or on the sideline, he was making decisions on the spot which had consequences. So maybe, just maybe he had more to consider than what he was gonna write on a thread on boards.ie.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Also going full bore against both Scotland and SA. In the WC coming first or second in the group isn’t the winning or losing of it; but squad rotation is. SA did it perfectly, everyone in the 23 with roughly the same minutes overall.

• Advertisement

“Watching that quarter final back, Johnny Sexton was borderline miraculous to still be on the field late on but he was blunted by fatigue, so even for a change of pace Crowley was surely the play.

We don’t know how the Munster man might manage the knockout moments because there is no point of reference for Ireland beyond the quarter final. But it was surely time to find out.”

I guess that reads differently to you than it does it me?

And I'm not hanging onto anyones words, the argument has been that we are just arm chair "supporters" who should let the professionals do their job. This is an example of one top tier coach who also happened to play in the position in question. I think there is some weight to what he has to say on the matter?

Im starting to think that maybe you think "arrogance" means something other than what it does mean...

What were the other reasons that have been outlined? That he didnt trust Crowley? Thats the same bloody thing as saying he stayed with the less risky option!

My quote clearly doesnt say we lost because of it, it states too simple facts.

1. We stayed with Sexton
    2. We lost

It seems like he didnt make any decision at all, thats the problem.

Its amusing to be that you believe AF to somehow be the worlds only infallible coach and that Sexton is the only 38 year old OH who can play 80 minutes in as many consecutive games as he wants without getting tired.

you can’t even read your own posts correctly.

You had a swipe at the ‘old guy’ and used the word ‘and’ to link him to the loss.

Stop being dis-ingenuous. Read the thread for the other reasons,.

Ppl are getting into the weeds on the Sexton thing. It’s a simple insight that gets repeated at EVERY World Cup, teams who don’t rotate don’t win. Sexton played 5 or 6 games of rugby this year then 4 on the Trot with potentially 2 more to go…someone else would have been having significant minutes at ten if we had progressed one way or another. Take a leaf from rassies book and roll the dice. Guaranteed Farrell will rotate more at the next WC.

Except the number based on World Cup before this is the team that won didn’t rotate, outside the odd non essential group game

The layout of the tournament for Ireland was the last warm up game was the Romania group game, then we had Samoa, SA, Scotland so really the Samoa game was the rest game but the Romania game showed the team was not ready and thats why they got started v Samoa. Majority of players got swapped early in second half in this game. Then South Africa…all guns blazing….then Scotland which ended up over at half time with the main players swapped out again

If the games or group was different I would expect more rotation but to most,including me, it made sense.

Compare to SA for instance who had sent a squad to one game in the rugby championship while keeping another squad at home for another rugby championship game, totally different exercise plan and game plan

at start of competition the NH team would say the biggest issue they had was the team was coming from holidays while SH was coming from intensive games, that hasn’t changed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ireland don't have enough quality to have 2 squads, imo. I don't think anyone does besides S.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The timing difference in the pool schedules was a big factor in my opinion.

NZ had a couple of very easy matches and then 9 days to prepare, whereas Ireland played Scotland in a must-win match and then had 7 days to recuperate.

I think the choice to play our strongest team against Tonga was a mistake, but in fairness we didn’t know if they would make it a close game or not. We probably needlessly tired out a few players or blunted their ferocity a bit by playing them against Tonga, SA and Scotland and then struggled to peak for NZ.

I think if we had played South Africa in the first round and Scotland in the 3rd round and Romania last with 9 days to prepare for a quarter-final we’d have had more energy to put into the QF.

Hopefully we’ll get a better pool schedule next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

We could and should have rested players v Scotland.

Someone pointed out that the SA 23 all ended up on similar minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

That's about as relevant as telling me they used a 7-1 bench or are we expecting all teams to use 7-1 benches in future.

• Advertisement

One of the legacies of participation in the tournament I reckon. Fear of getting turned over by a minnow or in a game we should win.

I agreed with the squad pick for the Tonga game etc so it would be churlish to criticise now.

Something to work on for future tournaments for sure - trust the squad more.

Scotland are a very dangerous team and 5th in the World. They had a big game up first and then weeks to prepare for Ireland. It was a huge banana skin waiting to happen if we underestimated them

In reality the game ended up been over at half time and the bench was emptied soon after so the main players didn't get a huge intensive game like the SA game.

My understanding at the time was the first team was been played because of the poorish performance v Romania, I could be wrong on this. Like the Scotland game the match was over at half time, bench emptied and it turned into more of a training match in second half

It’s still not an equal preparation though, playing Uruguay with no pressure, followed by 9 days to prepare, versus a must-win game against the World number 5 team that are very unpredictable, with a 7-day turnaround.

Emptying the bench still only means half the team get a rest, 7 players had to stay in for the full 80. Also I think it’s mentally and emotionally taxing having that match fall the way it did.

Had we had South Africa’s schedule I think it’d have made the difference .

Also, I’m left wondering what if James Ryan hadn’t been injured, would our lineout and our defence around the lineout have been better? Maybe not have conceded that try straight off the lineout? To be fair, can’t complain about only missing one or two, Ryan and Henshaw, and Hansen not 100%. We should have enough depth to deal with that, but every little advantage matters at that level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

SA also played their strongest team against Scotland - and struggled at that.

Ireland have rotated their squad plenty in previous tournaments (albeit nearly always with a clear first string) and it didn't help then either.

A deliberate choice was made, given the schedule, to use the tonga and Romania games as warm ups. Other teams played their first team far more prior to the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Few lads should've seen more game time: JOB, Baird, McCarthy. Couple of lads should've been left at home for other options: Conan, Casey, McCloskey, Earls, Kilcoyne. Being able to rest Beirne and VdF in particular would've been desirable, they looked off the pace in the QF.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Conan absolutely should not have travelled but I think he had a setback after they got there. But that was definitely one mistake for sure.

I'm afraid you aren't making any sense at all now.

Sexton is the old guy, he is a 38 year old out half.

He did play the entire game, he is old and we did lose. Of course its all linked. Are you telling me that if we won you wouldnt have linked him to the win? Utter nonsense.

So now we did lose because Sexton played the whole game?

Pick one position and stick with it?

• Advertisement

I didnt say that or anything like it.

I stated 3 simple facts and 1 widely held opinion:

• Sexton is old at 38
    • Sexton played the entire game (again)
    • We lost
    • Sexton was out on his feet for the last 10-15 minutes of the game.

Which of these do you disagree with and why?

Advertisement