Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This is very commonly misunderstood. A phase is not for example a pass (which a lot of people seem to think it is).

A phase is the time a ball is in play between breakdowns. I haven’t rewatched the disallowed try but from memory it was pretty straightforward off the line out (where the knock on happened) so they were correct to bring it back.

Now imagine the furore if the try stood and NZ won the game with the officials missing a rather blatant knock on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I will be honest, I thought NZ did enough at the end to get a scrum penalty. They did to SA what SA do to other teams. Not sure if it was kickable, but couldve set NZ up deeper in the SA half for one last phase.

The lineouts were a complete shambles for both teams. More so SA.

And dear god, like 4 piss poor drop goal attempts? Keep the possession, dont just give the ball away cheaply. I would be pissed off if im a forward, killing myself to get the ball near the opponent 22 and the backs all want a piece of glory by trying drop goals. And not even good attempts either.

As for the red card, i didnt like that it happened, but dont disagree with the call either. Didnt look like it made much difference to NZ.

I do think where NZ made a bad tactical error was after the SA yellow. They took a 50/50 at best long range penalty when for me a more tactical kick into the 22 and 7 minutes at 14 v 14 would have been a better option. You have the throw in and as long as you secure possession you can play for a much shorter DG or penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

South Africa with 4 titles!!! Insane. Congrats to Rassie & staff. 2 for Rassie!! Certainly an all time great.

Going forward though, I feel both the kiwis and saffers will struggle to stay ahead of the French and Ireland.

For the kiwis. There's no more Whitelock, Rettalic and Aaron Smith. I think their run has ended. The bright spot is the new front rows.

South Africa have to find an out half. Replace a relatively elder pack.

France will struggle to find spots for the young bucks. They're falling over talented players, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭TheRona

It was 4 phases. They weren't correct to bring it back. Sometimes you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't. Sometimes the TMO decides to make the rules up as they go along. That is life.

BTW I don't think anyone thinks a pass is a phase. Maybe this is something you just discovered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jeepers, don't tell some around here you won by making a few mistakes and with a share of luck and the bounce of a ball. Their wee heads will implode. 😁

Congrats Jacovs. Enjoy holding the Webb Ellis.

Going to be a smart ass now? Classy.

So you’d have been fine with that try being allowed even with the blatant knock on that everyone it seemed bar they touch judge and the ref saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Now imagine the furore if the try stood and NZ won the game with the officials missing a rather blatant knock on?"

Now imagine the furore if the ref made a bad call for a penalty, realised it on the spot but instead of reversing the penalty, allowed the eventual winning team to kick it.

That's one of the reasons why Barnes and his team will be under scrutiny. Allowing one team a score off a bad decision but disallowing the other. And a well taken try at that, whilst the winners couldn't even score a point in 45 minutes of play. Piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It was lop sided and weaker than it's been in maybe 20 years

Internationally the game is in a bad spot, next world cup ould he a downer

Wales England aus nz and sa arg are worse on the whole that 4 ago

France ire better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Advertisement

Big difference between a 3 and 5/7 pointer as you know.

And we see arguable/debatable penalties like that all the time. We don’t see tries given after clear knock ons.

Boiling everything down to one penalty is folly. Bad/incorrect calls happen all the time and in every game. It’s part of the game - unfortunately.

NZ did not lose that game because of that call,

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Worst winning team was SA 2007 they weren’t even a top 3 team IMO , best team 2015 ABs a bit of a debate where you rank the rest and I was too young for 91 and 87 so won’t talk out my …

edit - winning with a lesser team is also a compliment to the group of guys so don’t be offended any 2007 SA supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No but arguably SA won it because of that penalty. Just like the early scrum penalties awarded against us in the quarter final - that set the tone early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think NZ should have had a pen off that last scrum. I also think they should have had a pen before that (not sure if it was the ruck directly before the scrum or the ruck previous). It looked in real time to me that a SA player (could have been Smith again!) had their hand on the ground while competing at the ruck. Can't find it in any clips on Youtube though.

I think there were a lot of ref calls which went SAs way. FdK bought a pen with the player on the wrong side, we've seen plenty of times where the ref dismissed that because of such theatrics from the SH. EE was lucky not to get a yellow for disrupting that pass in the 22, at least should have been a warning for cumulative pens.

The NZ try was probably the right call, was worth reviewing but wasn't clearly forward from the angles we saw. It was no more forward than EEs knock down v France so SA can't complain. The decision to disallow the other try has question marks over how far they went.

As said above, going for the long range kick was a bad call by NZ. It was a low percentage kick and I think they'd have had a better chance of winning by going down the line. They were the better team but circumstances often dictate in sport that the best team doesn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Seadin

It came back to bite them and rightly so. Can't beat South Africa in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Seadin

No I dont agree, France nearly beat them and they hadn't a great team back then. NZ fell over the line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Piss poor refereeing aided them big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jesus, the amount of bitterness and glee towards NZ for not winning their 4th World Cup is pretty pathetic to read. Sad f**kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I thought so about the last scrum as well but it seems clear referees are under instruction these days to not give kickable late penalties that could decide a game unless it's absolutely blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The TMO seemed to go out of his way last night to find things to pull New Zealand up on and he left alot of South Africa discrepancies go.

All throughout this tournament South Africa seem to have been the benefactors of lenient refereeing.

Just the France game alone, the blocked down conversion should have been retaken and the winning penalty overturned.

• Advertisement

I think they were conversing and he was disagreeing with his

Look at the teams for the final and think again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A big takeaway for me was that refs need to get a handle on lineouts. The amount of playing the arm in the air and just blatantly jumping across the gap was crazy to see. Ireland v NZ and again last night were perfect examples of the complete mess they’ve become.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I feel a bit of sympathy for Cane just because of the occasion, but it was a red card and the officials had no choice. I'm sure the last thing any of them want to do is send someone off in a WC final to the point that there may even be a smidgen more leniency, but this was pretty clear cut unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Opportunity blown by Ireland, I grant you. But that wasn't the point. Ireland at 95% or whatever we were was still by no means a "soft" fixture for NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gosh a lot of folk here are obsessed with choking. A psychologist would have a field day. Ireland choked, New Zealand choked.

Not sure the final will be considered a classic, but the various meetings of the world's top 4 did show there's a hair breadth between the lot of them in the end. The final a bit of an aberration(?) cos all the various meet ups of France, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa were entertaining crackers for the sport - and puts a gloss on the otherwise crushing disappointment of our own QF inevitability. We beat the world champions, ha.

As to the tournament itself? A bit of a 6, 7 out of 10 really. The wonky draw really robbed half the Pools of drama and quality, and so many teams going through slumps made it a tough watch at times. Wales, Argentina, England, Argentina and Japan al experiencing rough patches for differing reasons - even if 2 of those teams made it to the Semis, lol. While Italy were a disgrace Vs the talent they have in that squad. Scotland, uh, were there too I guess?

As to below that level, many of the Tier 1.5+ teams struggled, either cos of COVID's shadow or the likes of Romania or Namibia who seem utterly inert. Uruguay probably felt Italy were there for the taking and disappointed they couldn't capitalise. Portugal were the revelation of course, giving Wales and Australia a good scare before that match against Fiji. A rumour suggested a joint bid with Spain and Italy - that'd be a great idea. Chile got hockeyed but they played good rugby at times and from what I've read have gone home proud to have competed as best they could. So they should; between the lot of them you'd imagine a fair few will be finding new clubs (in France lol) to play at.

Overall though, the move to 24 teams is a good idea cos the thing that really robbed the Pools of drama was being 5 teams, spread interminably across weeks of dead rubbers. 6 groups of 4, with 3 rounds each & something to play for for the 3rd placed teams should add really spice in 2027. Fitness levels won't tank so much for the smaller teams and The likes of Uruguay might have legitimate reason to eye a knockout game. Imagine a Portugal / Wales rerun with it all at stake? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Definite scrum penalty at the end - Wayne Barnes bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭techdiver

My takeaway from this world cup is despite it being a fantastic event to attend (I was at the South Africa game) I have a feeling of dread coming away from it as to the direction of rugby.

South Africa have proven twice in a row that you can win a world cup by playing dogshit rugby and despite the likes of Ireland, France and New Zealand playing a more rounded game we all came up short in the end when it came to the crunch.

I worry about a "if you can't beat them, join them" knee jerk reaction to it. We know South Africa won't change. England have cemented their position as a poor man's South Africa. What do the rest do? Ireland can't play that game ad we don't have the genetics to produce such players. France could though.

I also think the platitudes towards South Africa are over done. Yes they won and should be applauded as such but the rode their luck and got the majority of the 50/50 calls from the officials. The went anentire 40 minutes in a final against 14 men and scored nothing. With all the talk about bottling around here that's the biggest bottle job to me and they literally fell over the line.

I was down after Ireland lost to New Zealand (more so than any previous world cup exit) and the end of this tournament just makes me more depressed for what could have been and what is to come in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭TheRona

I hope that maybe if NZ didn't manage to win the game, they did at least show that this 7/1 split stuff is just nonsense, along with many SA 'innovations'. SA won in spite of their style of rugby. I've seen a lot of people of Twitter saying that winning rugby is all that matters, and there's no playing rugby the 'right way', but the reality is that NZ at least matched SA in every facet of forward play, while being a man down.

On top of this, SA were scrummaging for a lot of the game with NZ having Jordie in the pack, and they still didn't have a clue how to take advantage of the extra man in the backs. Just imagine the problems Ireland would cause a defence in this situation.

Advertisement