Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Shehal

Look at the run of fixtures had in 2023 compared to 2019 and think again. Ireland have had easier pool stages than the run of KO games SA had in 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Ireland weren't near 95%. Some of the players were frozen in fear. If we were at 95% of their ability, they would have won comfortably. They're a better team than New Zealand but they blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Regardless of the factors involved, officiating and 7, 1 splits etc, South Africa took the top spot. Again. They are the LAR of international rugby! La Rochelle are very limited and yet ROG plays in a similar vein to the boks. LAR are back to back European Champs.

Could Ireland have beaten them yesterday? I think we could. But yet again, we fell at the same hurdle as always

N.Z played 3 really tough matches in this world cup and lost 2 of them. S.A played 3 top teams and won 2. They also crawled over the line v England. They were deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

Fair play to SA. As we learned it doesn’t matter how great the team is, or how many tries you scored last week, what matters is having the tactics and mentality to grind out wins where you might lose. We have got a lot better at that but we still aren’t the finished article. We should have beaten NZ but we came up short.

Here’s a replay of barnsey mate admitting to Ardie that he got it wrong. And I don’t argue that this was decisive, SA would have found a way.

https://twitter.com/knowbygrant/status/1718577968187085047/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1718577968187085047&currentTweetUser=knowbygrant

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Most of it is because karma bit them. The triumphalism and goading of Ireland supporters and players after the final whistle in the QF was the behaviour of utter d1ckheads. For that, they got exactly what they deserved.... Nothing.

So I guess they're really the sad f*ckers.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

They lost one made no difference, same as 2019

France robbed, semi final a joke, final a joke also

They hockeyed a decent English team in the final, that smashed nz

Ireland and the quarters were their hardest games by far this time

20 mins of madness by Ireland gave them the world cup

Their **** talking was no more than Ireland’s last Summer honestly. I think it’s a badge of honour, gone are the days of plucky underdogs who can be patronised and sympathised with. Now they need to savour any victory over Ireland because they've become rare. Long may it continue.

The only difference I see is that Ireland go at it with a bit of craic while NZ players and fans tend to be joyless.

I couldn't agree they were deserved winners

Neither team deserved to win yesterday

Ireland couldn't have dropped their performance to the level on show yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Of course, pity it wasn't France Ireland, of all countries France hit hardest with injuries to key players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I seriously doubt SA would have found a way yesterday had they gone behind. For much of the game they dididn't look like scoring a try, less so as the game wore on. The evidence suggests that 7 forward replacements was more a hindrance than a help, their set piece deteriorated later in the game.

They didn't find a way against Ireland and make no mistake, they wanted to win that game too. The win against France was less them finding a way and more being handed a map, compass and GPS in the form of an incorrect refereeing decision.

They are world champions and fair play to them but it wasn’t the case that they were going to win no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will all the Rugby Championship teams have new management next season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,438 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Furlong is a joke of a choice. Once again whoever picks these teams doesn't have a clue about the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

Maybe POM was right after all and that Cane was a really sh&t Richie McCaw. And to Rieko saying to Johnny Sexton to enjoy retirement, he can enjoy the flight home now as well with nothing.

I see Foster is now whining about the TMO, in the game's they've lost: "We got the same behaviour from that TMO as we got in the Irish series last year, same TMO, so we expected what we got"

What a bunch of ungracious whingers. I was initially hoping that NZ would win the final as they at least try to play a bit more, but I'm glad they didn't in hindsight.

Post edited by bluedex on

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Barnes doesn't say he got the decision wrong and apologise for it.

He says something along the lines of 'Sorry, I didn't see the replay. I didn't think you came off the ball enough' meaning there was no clear release. It was a tight enough call but could be given either way

They are fairly whiny! Glad they lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Barnes was never going to give either side a penalty at the end. NZ had two kicks to win it and bottled both of them, they have no one to blame only themselves. SA played rubbish apart from some decent defence and NZ should have taken a couple of those easy three pointers early in the second half instead of constantly going for the corner, i’m delighted the cocky arrogant All Blacks lost, good riddance to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Strand1970

NZ behaviour after beating Ireland was unnecessary and lost alot of general support in Ireland. I know for a fact alot in my club were happy enough with SA winning the final. As said to me alot less argorant SA supporter's locally than NZ supporter's because both are equally argorant as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Dude you need to get a grip. You signed up to a NZ rugby forum to troll (you know what I’m talking about, unless there’s a second bluedex out there) and you’re clearly hurt and aggrieved. It’s only a game of rugby. Let it go. No amount of bitterness will overturn the 1/4 final result just like nothing will change SA 12 NZ 11.

Personally I love the NZ - Irish rivalry, the games are really intense and hard fought these days. Bring the next one on!

i don’t know if Rieko said what he’s alleged to have said but if so, it’s poor sport. But no different to what some Irish players said. If I was a top player I’d do my talking on the field. That’s what counts.

Trust me, bitterness will get you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Strand1970

Most Irish rugby supporter's are fans of the the way NZ play rugby but just got eyes opened of their behaviour after beating Ireland in the 1/4 final.

Depends how you read the tone, to me it sounds like ‘I didn’t see you release but I now understand you did’, otherwise why say anything, other than his initial no release comment when awarding the penalty. He’s clearly responding to the replay, maybe he didn’t look at it but crowd and player reaction maybe persuaded him. No reason for him to say anything otherwise. And it wasn’t really a tight call, Savea didn’t dramatically raise his hands above his head but both his hands are clearly separated before the tackled play hits the ground.

There were 50 minutes left at that point. If SA had needed a try or penalty or drop goal or whatever there’s no way to know they would not have had the tactical smarts to make it happen. Their whole World Cup was delivering under the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

Two former Shannon players involved in the SA win.

Why wouldn't you be happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Agree with you ersatz.

Slight thing I would differ on though, is that sledging during a game is part of the game. Would never like to see that disappear.

But once the final whistle goes, sledging should be done with. As someone else said, NZ lost some respect for what was said to Sexton during the handshakes after the match.

And rightfully so. So much for their "no dickhead policy"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Agree with the gist of what you said, but NZ ceded the moral high ground when they decided to select players who've committed domestic violence.

N.Z are always cocky and smug, imo. They are as bad as England, imo. In 2019 when they were hammered by England, I was delighted. Not because they had murdered us in the qf but, because they didn't fire a shot. They were completely outclassed. When England lost to the boks, I was chuffed. I think both are insufferable winners. I am very disappointed with our world cup. We fell short, imo. Our best chance ever, but we couldn't clear the hurdle. N.Z couldn't clear a hurdle this weekend. Their smugness was short again.

It's just my opinion. I don't like the kiwis or their cultural dancing prior to the match. I don't like any teams cultural dancing prior to kick off.

What NZ rugby forum? That's untrue for a start and invalidates the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

For what its worth, SA beating NZ means Ireland moves up to 2nd place in the rankings.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭TheRona

Not that anyone from SA would care, but only one SA player in the Opta team of the tournament

Advertisement