Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Three quotes I received in Galway, for an E/W split:

1) 16x Recom Panels (6.7kw), 5.5kw Solis Inverter, 5.3kw Waco battery, Eddi: €13,300 ( €10,800 after grant) BER not included ( €2,500 less without battery)

2) 18 x Jinko panels ( 7.74kw), Huawei inverter, Eddi €11,800 (€9,400 after grant) BER not inckuded

3) 16x Bisol panels (6.4kw), Alpha 5kw inverter, Eddi, 10.1kw Alpha battery.€14,650 ( €12,250 after grant)

Is the battery a good option to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Thanks,

What kind of price you think i should be paying for 12 panels, not much difference in last few quotes, have things just got crazy lately. Anyone around Clare, Galway, limerick recommend someone decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Use this link and input your quotes and press advise. Then read the notes in the box to get you onto the right track

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

What do you make of the quote below seems to be a lot more competitive anyway.

Modules- 430w Jinko panels with 25-year product warranty and 30-year linear power warranty.

10 x 430w Jinko panels Monocrystalline = 4.3kwp system

Inverter –Solis 5kw hybrid

1x 5kw Solis inverter with wifi dongle

Mounting Kit- Renosol ground mount

As Required

Check Meter-

1x check meter

Scaffolding

As required

All required Electrical Work

1x DC ISOLATOR

1x AC ISOLATOR

1x Fireman switch

Batteries- Dyness

1 x 5.1kwh Dyness battery

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

N/A (Have solar tubes already)

All required Paperwork for commissioning the system

Included

Customer to get own BER post Install

Solar PV Grand Total (Zero rate VAT) €9,824.00

Deposit - €2,000.00

SEAI grant allowance- €2,400.00

(Customer to apply initially)

Balance- €5,424.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

16 x Jinko Tiger Neo N-type 430W panels (6.88kW over two aspects), 5kW Solis hybrid inverter + wi-fi dongle, mounting, scaffolding as required, all required electrical work incl. isolators and fireman’s switch @ €9,180.

… €6,780 after SEAI €2,400 grant.

No battery for now. No EDDI. BER not included.

In addition to the above: Zappi EV home charger @ €1,400 incl.VAT. Qualifies for separate €600 grant.

This whole business is a Rip Off operation spurred on by the Grant (We would be better off without the grants).

I am looking for 11 Panels and a Hybrid Inverter (just in case I go for a battery down the road); I do not think that people should go for a Diverter as you can always switch the immersion on and off; alternative types of battery should be cheaper in the long run.

At the moment I have 27 quotes ranging from 6,500 to 10,200; I ignore the Grant because this is what you will be handing over to the Installers.

An average quote is around 8,500; and I am now looking closely at those between 6,500 and 7,500 (in due course I will detail here).

The Ideal Homes Show which is Free is on in the RDS Dublin this weekend and 18 Solar PV Installers are included amongst the Exhibitors.

I intend to put these people through their paces and I recommend others to do so as well.

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2400. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, that should be about €6442 for that system (after grant). But it's only a rule of thumb. Just don't go above €1300 per kW of panels and €550 per kWh battery (ex VAT), which would give you €8395 after grant. Your quote of €7424 is at the upper end of the recommended range. Get a few more quotes..

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2400. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, that should be about €6880 for that system (after grant). That's a fantastic quote, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sligopaul

how long before providers all start dropping the rate on feed in, Flogas have signalled a drop from 22(ex vat) to 18.5 in November and others will start to follow suit as the market matures and there is more capacity from solar. While a battery may be marginal for most people at the moment. having a hybrid inverter is a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Have been given 2 more quotes: (We are an under average use household currently (~3500kWh a year)

Quote 1:

• 5.64kW system
    • 12 x 470w Jinko Solar Tiger Neo panels
    • 1 Hybrid Inverter 4Kw (Sofar solar)
    • 1 Battery 5kW (Sofarsolar)
    • 4 optimisers.
    • They are offering immersion switch timer instead of EDDI (for "free")
    • Covering the BER

Cost without battery: 13,300 - 2,400 = 10,900 cost to me (expensive battery!)

Cost with battery: 10,350 - 2,400 = 7,950 cost to me.

Quote 2:

• 4.3kW system
    • 10 x 430w Jinko Black Solar panels
    • 1 Hybrid Inverter & battery 5kW (livoltek)
      • Never been offered all-in-one before.
    • Covering the BER and NC6 application

Cost: 9,847 - 2,400 = 7,447 cost to me

Provided a nice fancy spreadsheet where they estimated i could save 1900kWh a year

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭DrPsychia

Same crowd quoted me for the following system.

Based in Dublin.

Company 1:

10 x Denim Glass to Glass Bi Facial or similar, Mono Crystalline 430Wp (505Wp with Rear Side) PV Module (with 35-year warranty output & 35-year warranty product) – EU Made

1 x SolarEdge Inverter (with 12 years warranty)

10 x SolarEdge S440 Power Optimiser (with Arc protection & 25 years warranty) 1 x SolarEdge Import / Export meter

1 x Eddi/SolarEdge Hot Water Diverter (with 3 years Labour and Parts Warranty) 1 x 4 Pole Fireman Switch

1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...

1 x Full Install and Grid Commission

1 x Wi-Fi Kit and Free Monitoring Portal for Life

1 x SEAI Grant Paperwork Management Including BER Assessment for the Grant.

5 Years Labour Warranty + 5 Years Comprehensive Parts Service Warranty

No battery

Total(ex grant ex VAT) €11,300

Total(Inc Grant & VAT) €8,400

OPTIONAL:

10kW SolarEdge Battery €8500 with full supply and install including Wall / Floor Mount, SolarEdge Hub Inverter and Accessories

Company 2:

3.2Kwp 8 panel roof mounted system including all black panels, inverter and wi-fi monitoring.

5Kw Pure Drive Battery

Total( ex Grant): €13,549.87

Total(inc Grant) €11,389.87

Company 3:

10 x 430w Jinko (25 year warrant inc parts & labour)

1 x Hybrid inverter (Solis)(10 year warrant inc parts & labour)

1 x Eddi

App monitoring - Yes

No battery included

optional: 7.5kWh battery €7300

Total (Ex grant) €8,163

Total(Inc Grant) €5753

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sligopaul

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭DrPsychia

Latest quote i got, strange battery is adding so much to it

The ECO PREMIUM PACK will include the following: 

•   10 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   5kwh battery storage 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER 

RRP

€ 11,700.00 Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00 SEAI Grant

€ 9,300.00 Final Cost to Customer.

🎃Halloween Discount €1000 - reducing your final price to €8,300👻

The ECO PLUS PACK will include the following:

•   10 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER

RRP

€  7,700.00     Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00     SEAI Grant

€ 5,300.00     Final Cost.

🎃Halloween Discount €500 - reducing your final price to €4,800 👻

I have listed all the makes of the equipment we use bellow:

Hybrid Inverter: Solis

Battery 5kw: Pure Drive

Panels: Leapton, plain black, monocrystalline silicon cells

Quote 2:

• 4.3kW system
    • 10 x 430w Jinko Black Solar panels
      • 1 Hybrid Inverter & battery 5kW (livoltek)Never been offered all-in-one before.
    • Covering the BER and NC6 application

Cost: 9,847 - 2,400 = 7,447 cost to me

Provided a nice fancy spreadsheet where they estimated i could save 1900kWh a year

Update: This crowd followed up today and sensed i was a little cagey with the quote - offered me 10% off it.

Updated cost: Cost: 8886 - 2,400 = 6,486 cost to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2400. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, that should be about €6526 for that system (after grant). That's a fantastic quote, go for it!

davidhunt.ie/solar

You can enter the panel details and orientation here https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html to get an idea of how much generation to expect. If you have more than 1 orientation do them separately. Another handy one to look at is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gr.java_conf.siranet.sunshine

• Advertisement

The Quote that I am looking for is for 11 Panels and a Hybrid Inverter.

All prices in Euro and BEFORE grant

At Self Build in Belfast I got:

6,500 JAM 425, 5K Givenergy hybrid inverter Gen 3 and including BER

7,000 Jinko 435w and 5K Solis hybrid inverter

Today at Ideal Homes in Dublin I got quotes up to 13,500

6,300 Jinko 435w or Bauer, Solis or Sofar hybrid inverter and including BER

6,500 Trina 415w, Solis hybrid inverter, and including BER

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Getting panels installed by a company and its taking quite the while.

On the day of the panel install they said we need a "tails upgrade".

It then takes three weeks for them to come out to do that.

When they eventually get here they look at the fuse box and say "we can't do the tails upgrade without the ESB on site". (even though I asked them if the ESB needed to be here when they do that)

So that day they "submitted their cert" to Safe Electric and "have to wait up to two weeks" for them to give us the all clear to call the ESB to schedule a call out.

Am I being spun a yarn or is that the process?

Almost six weeks since they put the panels on the roof now.

Thanks

M

ESBN are the only ones that can upgrade the tails AFAIK. Mine needed doing as well and took about 2 weeks for them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

Anything to do with the meter has to be done by ESB networks. It is an offence for an electrician to break the seal.

ESB networks will only do works on the meter, if the house is up to code and they have a SAFE cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks guys.

Does the "it takes two weeks for Safe Electric to process a cert only when they do that you can call ESBN to arrange them to come out" sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Related advice: when they are doing the job; don’t let them run the new tails directly from the meter to the consumer unit. You will have no way of safely totally isolating your unit indoors. Make sure they install an additional dual pole rotary isolation switch and also an MCB inline on the live.

it should look like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We've had a quote of €6300 for a 4.3 kWp system, no battery.

I've put the numbers into David Hunt's calculator which indicates it's excessive ("€1400 beyond what I'd consider ballpark, and €110 beyond the upper limit of value. Look elsewhere."). But I don't know whether that calculator is up to date with current costs.

Also, I've tried the SEAI calculator which maybe indicates a payback period of 8 years. But I'm not sure what they mean by their Question 5 "please enter the amount here (total cost excluding the SEAI grant but including VAT)". Do they mean after the grant has been subtracted, or before?*

Here's a list of the hardware. What do you think?

• Panels
      • Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.
      • 4.300 kW Total Solar Power 
      • 10 x 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4R-B)
      • 3,527 kWh per year
    • Inverter
      • Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
      • 4.000 kW Total Inverter Rating
      • 1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

• 3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter
    • 230V AC Single Phase
    • Rated Current - 16A
    • Stand Power Consumption - 3W
    • Weight - 4.3 kg
    • 1 x Eddi

The smaller the system the more expensive it seems. Fixed costs like 2x installers, scaffolding/hoist etc, cost the same for a 4.3 system as they do for a 14.3 system.

Huawei items are expensive and limit you to their or LG batteries

Is EDDI really needed?. Compare cost of heating now.

The 1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1 is a hybrid inverter suitable for battery useage, a non-hybrid is a few hundred cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Received a quote of €10,573 (before grant of €2,400) for the following - David Hunt calculator stated that 'Your quote of €8173 is at the lower end of the recommended range. Go for it.'

Wondering whether I will be able to sell to the grid with this set-up?

Also, I have a Ideal Logic Combi gas boiler which provides instant hot water - I've no hot water cylinder so presumably I will have to have a hot water cylinder re-installed to avail of the hot water heated through solar panels.

Modules- 430w Jinko panels with 25-year product warranty and 30-year linear power warranty: 12 x 430w Jinko panels Monocrystalline = 5.1kwp system 

Inverter –Solis 5kw hybrid: 1x 5kw Solis inverter with wifi dongle

Mounting Kit- Renosol ground mount: As Required

Check Meter- 1x check meter

Scaffolding: As required

All required Electrical Work 1x DC ISOLATOR; 1x AC ISOLATOR; 1x Fireman switch

Batteries- Dyness 1 x 5.1kwh Dyness battery

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

1 x Eddi

BER not included

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement