Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anything know about the systems the energia installers use? The panels are 550w each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭deezell

Jinko, Akome, Sunergy, others maybe. Huge panels, 1.1 by 2.2 m, almost 30kg. Thats close to the size of 4' by 8' flooring sheets in terms of handling. Two man job. I've no idea if they're more structurally prone to cracking or damage that smaller sizes, they'd surely need a mid rail for support. When you're paying so much for the installs, I assume that the individual and string outputs voltages are measured and confirmed before connection. You could have a duff partially bypassed panel or two in a system from new and never even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

We put inverter and battery in eaves and when the were screwing on the fire board they did cause some cracks in converted attic wall where the plasterboard screws were . It didn’t bother me as we were getting the whole place redone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Stupid question of the day :)

I see so many quotes with / without BER - is BER not a requirement of getting the grant, thus quotes "without" are kinda pointless? Or am I missing something obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Eleusis

Some people may not need a BER because they got one recently anyway. Then I would hope/presume the price to update it is minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Without Ber means that you have to sort/pay for the ber separately

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

No matter how recently you got the BER you need another one post works if you want the grant.

Yes, but it isn't a whole new one. It's simple, fast and cheap to add the solar panels to the existing BER. At least it should be. I had a BER done last year when I was getting a heat pump and part of it tells what my BER would be upgraded to if I added solar panels. So if I add solar panels it should not cost much to update when I get them. At least I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Best you can hope for is contact the exact same surveyor and ask him to 'upgrade' your cert by the solar output. How much is BER when solar is the reason, does it magically increase in price as a result? We paid €190 for BER to sell an 80's bungalow in 2021 as administrators of a will. Seemed very reasonable at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Anyone getting a BER should always request the full “dwelling report” from the assessor. That way you can plug the numbers into the DEAP (same tool the assessor uses) and figure out yourself what impact any changes will have on your home.

At this point I’ve lost all faith in the BER system. I didn’t get the PV grant cos I was going to get ripped off; so did them myself.

They changed the system so that the homeowner now has to take full responsibility and risk for applying and processing grant applications; no risk to the contractor as they must be paid in full in advance. If they do a shoddy job; it’s the homeowner that’s out of pocket.

I was close to starting an external insulation project; but Im now taking a totally different approach; I’m going to spend smaller chunks of cash on much more targeted projects; with no regard for BER; and my house will be lovely and well insulated and airtight. Couldn’t care less what the BER is.

I'm also not going to get PV grant either and go self install off-grid with grid backup. I'm going for a 24kw PV array with 43kw battery and it's gonna cost approx 14k. It was fun putting that into davidhunt.

And likewise last year the rip off nature of the renewable industry just led me to ignore grants and do the external insulation myself. The heat pump grant still viable though.

Crazy even with vat removal that all quotes here are nowhere near the davidhunt ballpark and just seem to be getting higher and higher, even though the cost of batteries and solar panels are dropping fast. I'd urge any young fella now thinking of an apprenticeship to skip it and go straight into it renewables and clean up for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Im about to pull the trigger on a PV system but im wondering is this a wise decision with the budget coming up. Would I be better to hold off a few weeks to see if there are any pv packages announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭DC999

Pull the trigger I'd suggest. Budget changes are over the next 12 months so have a leadtime for certain stuff. It's already 0% vat and there are grants. Even if the grant did increase (and I've no reason to believe that change would come), you'll still get it as SEAI pay it post install.

Heading into winter demand for PV is going to skyrocket. So get your quotes, agree the price and contract and you're in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kay0ss

South facing roof, 20 degree pitch, located in West Kerry. 8.1kWp South Facing = Approximately 7,900 kWhs self-generated per year

20 x SunPower P6 405W panels, including a 5Kw Huawei Hybrid inverter and all fittings: €14905

• BER certification: €395 

• Eddi Hot Water Diverter: €790

• 5Kw Hauwei Luna Battery: €4850

• Zappi EV Charger: €1630

• Hauwei Optimizers (€80PP): €1600

Total Price: €24,170 (without SEAI grant) 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Robbery, get more prices.Why would you need 20 optimisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HappySolar

Have you a lot of shade/trees close to your home to need all them optimizers?

I repeat what the last poster said - ya need to get more quotes.

Even taking off the optimizers & BER that's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭idc

Has been reported before with Huawei  to support larger kWp and number of panels the inverter requires its own brand of optimisers to be installed on every panel. Sure there are posts reporting where max might 15/16 panels of approx 400W but to get to 20 they need the optimisers. Not so different from SolarEdge which requires optimisers for every panel.

Price is still crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

KN Group

I hope I am not breaking any rules.

I paid a deposit and am now told that the Site Survey and installation will be done by KN Group.

Cannot find any reference to them and solar panels and am not happy

Which one are you then, Grumpy? Sleepy? Anyway, KN are a large electrical/coms engineering contractors. They would have plenty of qualified and over qualified staff trained to install just about anything with wires coming out of them. It's not like solar is rocket science. You can complete the course for the grunt work in a few weeks, any sparks can come along after and pop in the cable's and breakers, and it's really basic electrician stuff. If the inverter needs configuration it's all in the installer manual, and like any config, do it a few times, do it in your sleep after. Same goes for adding batteries. They'd be far more capable than the man in a van operators with a sparks on a retainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Jeez, has nobody got a sense of humour anymore? I'm not 'Happy' as in Snow White et al. You'll be as safe as houses with KN, They'll be calling you 'shortly' I'm sure.🧙‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

lol, it took me a min even with the explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Has anyone gotten a recent quote from the boys in Enniskillen? What is their lead time like at the moment.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

The most famous use of this quip was by Nigel Owens, distinguished rugby referee, who was being harassed for a decision by the diminutive Munster scrum half Peter Stringer. " I'm not Happy, Nigel" sez Strings. "Well which one are you?" Sez Nigel . Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Has anyone got a quote that isin't within a tenner of every other quote is a better question. They're all the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

I got it over a month ago, lead time mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭con747

I would take it by the posters name they are elderly, maybe I'm way off the mark but it still looks like you were not really being nice with you're opening comment. "Which one are you then, Grumpy? Sleepy?"

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I've been around the block alright. Well deduced. Sorry about the choice of alternative Snow White personnel. They were the only other ones I could remember. I'll have to Google the Grimm brothers, or Walt Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

So being elderly can circumvent forum rules, and can name companies and suppliers. Good to know for future posts.

I'm not happy and subesquent replies, on whatever fora, a well established criteria and counter (tongue in cheek)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement