Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭deezell

Don't even consider reinstalling a HW cylinder. The FIT on the unused pv output that might otherwise go to an immersion will more than cover the cost of gas at about 10c/kwh to heat water. Bad enough spending €600 on an Eddie, without an extra €3000 for a modern double skinned tank plus install. You'd end up mostly heating it with gas in the winter anyway, as your entire daily winter output from a 5kw system (assuming, incorrectly, that the Eddie could scavenge only this from you pv output to the immersion), will generate 4kwh at a push on an average winters day, about enough to heat 69L of 10° cold water to 60°. Average family of 4 needs about 250L of HW daily in winter. Putting in an Eddie barely makes sense. Adding in a cylinder is non sense.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Thanks, makes sense. So I'll strip the Eddie from the quote but will need to add the cost of hiring a Cherry Picker for access to my roof (~€400).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chatb0x1

Can anyone please advise on the equipment below. Im thinking of going with company1 as they are around longer and good after sales.

I didn’t give exact numbers on yrs and reviews as maybe identifiable.

my usage is 3800kw a yr and I have a gas boiler and immersion so not sure if eddi is worth it to me - thank you

Post edited by chatb0x1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

That quote seems to be for a (or at least mentions) ground mounted system

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

I take it you're referring to 'Mounting Kit- Renosol ground mount: As Required'. I suppose it won't be required. The installer indicated there would be additional charge for the cherry picker to access my roof so based on that I think its clear the quote is for a roof mounted system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

You'll never be able to hide who company number 1 is 🤣 I went with the other system they supply with a battery so can't comment on the web/app interface available for Renac (I do have an additional 1kW Renac inverter but have never used online monitoring as it is handled via my existing system)

Otherwise have been very happy with them and after sales - had them back to fit additional battery and also to fit Zappi (plus more panels and 1kW inverter as mentioned above)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Hi there

Just got a quote recently and I think it's very high

10 Q cell 400w

String invertor

Eddi

Installation etc

Ber

Price after grant is deducted is 8200

But the positive is there is a 2 year agreement for excess to be bought back at 34c which I think is decent. So there is a bit of a return on investment with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Run away! It's about 2500-3000 overpriced. You can get a lot of units off a different supplier for that and get paid over 20c FIT.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Look at the quote a few posts above yours #5857 to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Thanks for the advice

Yes it is expensive.

Alot of quotes for jinko panels any disadvantage of them as they seem cheaper.

The quote you mentioned is very good.

Tho noticed that companies who give the quotes aren't mentioned by name.

• Advertisement

No naming companies allowed on the thread I'm afraid, but there is a list of installers here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest where people used companies. The Jinko panels are well known so you shouldn't have any issues. Only cowboys will use sub standard panels so you should be well able to spot them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

We are six weeks into a job that is turning into a nightmare.

Waiting on a tails upgrade.

Was told there wasnt enough space on the fuseboard and this was their solution (the white box underneath)

Should I be asking for this to be redone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chatb0x1

cant name them and I have spent a few weeks looking. Best advise I can give is the companies do not have to be local and google reviews was also helpful to me.

The wiring (from the inverter?) Is just draped over the ESBN terminal area, shocking untidy and probably will be flagged by the report. If you get a smart meter installed, free, you could have a 100a tails switch and breaker ready to go, the meter installer will just tail to this, then your guys have a safe connection point for the new tails from consumer unit(s) to this breaker after the new meter. No need for all the other reports and waiting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Esbn service upgrade (to 80 amps is 2k!) Is 2k + whatever you need to recertify the house.

There's not enough space for the solar, and the extra box is usually the solution.

Otherwise possibly a full consumer unit change.

Have you been offered a smart meter change yet?

@allinthehead you've more experience than I would have, but is that screw in fuse acting as the DNO head. (Also is this one of the cases where neturalising is an issue?)

As your getting the tails done, there is also a point of doing it right, eg DNO head(esbn fuse), Smart meter, and isolator. There isn't space in that cupboard for that.

Yes it was "fine" up until now, but it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks for that.

Smart Meter should be installed early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Quote received through my electricity provider subcontractor:

8x430w Jinco

"myenergi" Eddi Diverter

€7,380 (taking off grant 2,220 = €5,160)

I'm clueless, thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Yes, I believe that's Esbn's fuse. Regarding the neutralising, it's hard to tell from the picture but it will be picked up with the change of tails.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

So got a load of quotes a couple months ago. Not sure what to think.

One lad was honest enough to tell me since I wasn't getting the grant he could use an extra 100mm of roof space to get an extra row up.

His system

6.4kwp( 15 x 430)

Inverter(Hybrid)

Nothing else. 10k

The rest of the quotes were basically the same, multiple 8K/8.5K quotes for a 4.4kw system with no battery or eddi. Is this standard?

Also, is the hybrid inverter actually required? Am reading about AC coupling in ordinary inverters that solves the problem.

EDIT: I was actually also quoted 10k for a 5KW version of the same system from one of the most well regarded companies mentioned by folks on here. They making a killen?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Hi All,

I have a deposit on the below system with a while. Ive pushed the install date out as ive added batteries in the mean time.

Specification: Jinko 415W Mono (or equivalent) X 20, Solis Hybrid Inverter, Dyness 5KWH Battery X2, , Renusol Mounting Kit

However In the meantime they have run out of the 5.1kwh Dyness battery and will be replacing with the below 4.8

Just looking for any comments or feedback on any of the brands used here? Thanks

Mod: moved to quotes thread

Post edited by graememk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

What are they putting in that new garage board (the white box)? Power meter?

i can visually identify 3 spare ways in your board. They could use one of them to install a circuit to the location where the inverter is located and then installed that white box beside the inverter if needed.

Did they install anything new into your existing consumer unit?

the edge spacing for panels is actually a requirement for the planning exemption for solar PV on residential properties. If you go to close to the edge you technically would need to get planning permission. So if he’s proposing to go less than 500 mm from the edge it’s bad advice.

is anyone ever going to check or care? Prob not; but if you selling the house it could be flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vamon

Hi all, new here and happy to get all the information and advice. Any thoughts on the following quote

14 x Jinko 430kW panels - €9,750

Hybrid inverter - €1,300

Hot water EDI - €650

Ground mounting - 14 x €100 = €1,400

Total €13,100

Less Grant €2,400

Total €10,700

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

Got a quote today for 17 x 430w and hybrid inverter for 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Hi All,

Looks like a good quote.

•   16 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   My Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER

RRP

€ 9,900.00     Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00     SEAI Grant

€  7,500.00     Final Cost.

6.96kwp South facing

A tails upgrade is not a service upgrade, and inserting a 3 pole loadbreak disconnecter aka isolator switch after the meter tails does not increase your supply rating, even if the isolater is rated 80 or 100a. The supply current will be limited by the esbn fuse breaker prior to the meter, and by the the MCB, (aka MOD, Main Overcurrent Device), usually 63A, on the consumer board, and/or located in the meter box. When getting a smart meter it would be an ideal time to have these two items installed, then the smart meter installer can short tail to them at 16 or 25 mm, while your electrician can then isolate everything after the meter, and safely upgrade the tails from the isolation breaker/MCB. Here's the Safe Electric tails chart, and examples of installing isolators/MOD in the meter cabinet.

Addition of Isolator and MCB(MOD) in a meter cabinet.

Useful stuff to know. The isolators in these examples are this model, operated with a simple key, but there are multiple versions of these.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The 100amp threw me.

You meant 25mm2 tails, agree with that, and now's the chance to get it done right. I dare say that cupboard has to go through!

16mm² are acceptable according to the chart, but the smart meter installer will use 25mm² between the network termination and meter, then will hook up whatever you originally had from meter to the consumer unit, even if its only 10mm². It's an ideal opportunity to pop in the extra items and have them connected with 25mm². It's a trivial matter after for installer sparks changing the final tail from the new isolator and ROD to the consumer unit.

In @mathie's installation everythings in the one chipboard cabinet, which looks highly flammable. Additional kit is meant to be located bottom right of the cabinet, but this is an older setup and indoor, so that might not apply. It's funny how the subcontracted smart meter installers don't flag poor tail connections and insufficient amperage tail, or invite you to have a breaker installed.

Tails to my smart meter are pulled tight across the meter cabinet, as the new meter was positioned further down, and there was no play in the tail. I'm raging I didn't have a breaker at hand to terminate and extend tail. It looks awful and I know it won't pass an inspection if I ever get around to solar installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrne249

Thanks for that. I've had two lads tell me it was just a regulation for the grant and I would have believed it.

• Advertisement

It is also a regulation for the grant. And this existed before the planning exemptions .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement