Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We've had the following quote (€8.5k after SEAI grant, for 3.4kwp system) but no idea what to make of it. Can anyone advise whether it's good, bad, whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

why is your grant only 2100? Reduced in budget already?

I got quote from them for same as, but with 6 panels more than you for 1000e (700e grant difference) more and I thought that was bad. Yours is worse. Keep looking I say. They've all hiked prices last few months compared to quotes you see if scroll back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chatb0x1

I got a quote from what looks like the same company a few days ago. 500 cheaper with more panels. most of my quotes I got are similar or slightly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Some comments:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Further to my earlier request, I've had some sample quotes from another provider. I have not yet had the time to analyse them properly, though I do note they have some much cheaper options than €8.5k (net of grant), but most of the terms mean nothing to me. .Yes, I will try to understand the Boards FAQ re panels.)

Option #1

Non Battery System

4.0Wp of modules kitted to a Renac String Inverter

10 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Renac 4kW String Inverter

Costing

€6,575 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€4,175 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Option #2

Non Battery System

5.2kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 5kW String Inverter

13 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

AC Switchgear

Renac 5kW String Inverter

Costing

€7,550 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€5,150 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Option #3

Non Battery System

6.4kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 5kW String Inverter

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

AC Switchgear

Renac 5kW String Inverter

Costing

€8,400 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€6000 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Option #4

Battery System (Alpha)

5.2kWp of modules kitted to 10.1kWh battery storage

13 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate or Tile Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€12,700 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€10,300 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Option #5

Battery System (Alpha)

6.4kWp of modules kitted to 10.1kWh battery storage

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€13,400 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€11,000 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

Warranty Extension for the Alpha Inverter from 5 years to 10 years (Recommended): €350

Change Over Switch: €1000 (To facilitate the use of the battery system to run your house during a power outage)

EDDI Hot Water Diverter: €650

Zappi Car Charger: €1450

You get another extra grant for the zappi don't ya?^^

One of the companies told me that. Only 1.

Option 3 there looks good. Thousands cheaper than the cheapest i got for more panels. Get an eddi on that.

FIT payments are being reduced now on for eg flogas, will make eddi more viable and battery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is a grant of 600 for the ev charge point, totally separate from the solar grant. (You can only claim it once per mprn)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Quick question on whether a mark-up for splitting panels is usual, and if so, how much might be deemed reasonable.

I'm attempting to get quotes for various options around a 2x5 panel system (so 4.2ish kW panels), as my roof requires an east/west split. Either with 5/10kW battery or battery-free but with a hybrid inverter. These have so far come in massively over anything like the David Hunt calculator spits out.

One installer has very detailed example quotes on their site, dated September '23, and one is the exact same system they have specced for me for a battery system, but... over €2000 less than in the quote they have given me. The battery-free option is a staggering 3K less in their example than in my quote, although admittedly the example spec has a smaller, standard inverter.

So - is 2K warranted for the extra labour and parts to install 2x5 rather that 1x10 panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭bamayang

19 x 410 Panels. 7.7KW

Zappi car charger

No Battery

€9,200 after both grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Based in the NW and getting quotes for a new build (so no elec work or eddi required but no grant available either) on an E-W split:

18 x Luxor panels (7.47kW)

1 x SolaX hybrid inverter

2 x 3kW SolaX batteries

Coming in at 14650 (or 10950 w/o batteries). Seems to be around mid-range based on the David Hunt calculator.

The only other quote we got was ~ 2500 more expensive so will get one more and see from there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HappySolar

That isn't a bad quote, but do keep shopping round.

I had one for 8.8kW system, 10.1kW battery for ~15,200 before grant.

Doesn't include eddi or ber but still fairly happy with that price

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

To answer my own question, from the installer on why the quote was 2K extra:

"This is due to the division on the panels which require an extra fireman switch. I also added scaffolding, as your house is next to a road, and I didn't want to risk our installers"

Some mention is then made of preferring to have these costs upfront (although none of this was detailed), price is subject to survey, scaffolding might not then be required after the survey etc. etc. But I've yet to ever have a quote that came down on closer inspection by a supplier. I look forward to the day that happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭deezell

What a rip off. A DC fireman's switch is only about €150, and has enough terminals to isolate two strings of panels, so you only need one. Gangsters.

https://solartricity.ie/electrical-fire-safety-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

DM me. I’ve a spare projoy dc cutoff that I never used. Good price if your interested.

I seem to be getting quotes that are a good bit above the calculator. - also is there anything I should avoid in quotes below.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Hi All

First quote came through today. Usage is approx 3600 kwH per year and so is under the average.

• E/W orientation.
    • 8 TUV Nord (?) panels so 3.36KwH setup.
    • 2.5 kwH battery.
    • Inverter.. presume 2.5kwH

Grant of 2100 available. Total quote 9400

Cost to me 7,300

I also need to pay for BER.

Questions:

• Havent seen these panels mentioned? Guy mentioned they are certified German panels?
    • I hadnt done my research before including battery in the quote, does this become any more competitive if the battery is removed, if i got say 1200 off for that? It seems overpriced based on calculator, even acknowledging the smaller system being at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

TUV Nord is a standards body : https://www.tuev-nord.de/en/company/energy/renewables/photovoltaics/

They don't make panels, but they will certify the quality - so that's a positive, they could be any random manufacturer underneath though - Most Aldi/Lidl tools special offers are certified by one of the TUV bodies for example .. your mileage may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Thanks, I'll request the actual panels. Seems off they wouldn't be mentioned.

Even if I assume average, quote feels high based on calcs and other quotes here

Its way to high, don't waste time with them. Get other quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Hi All, been following this thread and got a quote recently. I'm slowly learning what all the technical terms mean.

The company i had out were pretty professorial. 2 guys came out and measured the roof and went into some detail regarding pros and cons of battery or not, Eddi installtion, power optimisers etc.

We are a family of 5. 2 adults 3 primary going kids. I work from home 2 days a week and wife works part time and is in the house after kids come home. I usage is just under national average. Say 4500-5000 units per year.

We are SSE facing to the rear and there is no shadow on the roof from chimney or trees.

Quote: 5.5kWp Smart Solar PV System

13 x Glass to Glass Bi Facial or similar, Mono Crystalline 420Wp (505Wp with Rear Side) PV Module (with 35-year warranty output & 35-year warranty product) – EU Made

1 x SolarEdge Inverter (with 12 years warranty)

13 x SolarEdge S440 Power Optimiser (with Arc protection & 25 years warranty)

1 x SolarEdge Import / Export meter

1 x Eddi/SolarEdge Hot Water Diverter (with 3 years Labour and Parts Warranty)

1 x 4 Pole Fireman Switch

1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...

1 x Full Install and Grid Commission

1 x Wi-Fi Kit and Free Monitoring Portal for Life

1 x SEAI Grant Paperwork Management Including BER Assessment for the Grant.

5 Years Labour Warranty + 5 Years Comprehensive Parts Service

€12,100 (ex vat and grant)

€2400 Grant

€500 discount

€9,200 Overall cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭con747

Very little if any benefit from bi facial on a roof as the panels are only a few inches away from it IMO. If no shading on the panels why do you need Optimisers? Either way it's expensive. If the company has an 8 in their name run away. Keep looking for better quotes.

I'll just throw in an edit here.

1 x SolarEdge Import / Export meter

1 x 4 Pole Fireman Switch

1 x Electrical Materials, Fuses, etc...

1 x Full Install and Grid Commission

1 x Wi-Fi Kit and Free Monitoring Portal for Life

All the above is what's needed so it's just trying to make people think look at the amount of stuff we are supplying. Way too much waffle and sales pitch in that quote.

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭DC999

We've similar house usage per year as you. But get as large a system as 1) roof takes 2) wallet takes. A 3.5kWp system is small. Now we all get paid 20c in FIT for unused units, it helps the payback time. Plus I use solar to help heat parts of the house in winter. Plus we've an EV. Meaning we can use more electricity if available.

At the point in time we move to electric cars, heating (heat pumps), cooking...the large the solar 'engine' you have the less energy will cost you. So get the most amount of panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I have got 8 quotes so far - the most expensive offered the same hardware as this along with an 10kW SolarEdge Battery for over 8K.

advise is keep looking - im only starting to get get somewhere now

Im not sure if true but sales guys are telling me its busiest time they have had this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭rx8

The Ideal Homes show is on next weekend in the RDS, and that's where I found my installer. No doubt, there will be a host of them there again this year.

It was back in 2019, and solar was only starting to hit the market then. There were probably 10 or 12 booths flogging their wares at it, lots of spin and shiny brochures, but if you even do a small bit of research first, you can spot the cowboys a mile off. Only suggesting it as a way of obtaining numerous quotes that can be compared on the same day, instead of ringing/emailing and waiting for someone to get back to you. Lots of free tickets to be had online this week, if you look around a bit. Best of luck to anyone going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hi all, what does everyone think of the below quote, I really havent a clue

To fit 430w Panels (1.1Mtr Wide x 1.8mtrs high)

A Solis inverter to change the power from DC to AC,

My Eddie diverter for the free hot water

Free Wi-Fi Monitoring,

25 Year Warrantee on the panels,

10 Year Warrantee on the Inverter,

10 Year warrantee on the battery,

BER Engineers Report after installation.

Our own engineers report to ensure a safe and effective installation.

All install costs including VAT @ 0.00% from the 1st of May ‘23.

Commissioning of the install with the ESB

The total Price 10 panels fitted to an East West split roof - € 9,795.00 – Less SEAI Grant of € 2,400.00 - € 7,395.00 - Less Deposit of 20% - € 1,500.00 - Leaving a final balance of € 5,895.00.

The total Price 12 panels fitted to an East West split roof - € 10,465.00 – Less SEAI Grant of € 2,400.00 - € 8,065.00 - Less Deposit of 20% - € 1,600.00 - Leaving a final balance of € 6,465.00.

You don't give panel brand or battery capacity. Here's some sums to help you decide. The extra two panels adds €770, so €335 a panel, installation, cables and brackets included, or €3350 for 10. That leaves €6445. Solis Hybrid 5kw somewhere between €1000 and €1200 trade ex vat. Eddie €5-600. Another €250 for breakers, switches, Rcbs, cable, WiFi Dongle. 200-300 for the BER. Say €2200. That leaves €4455. How much is the battery in the window? Two 2.4kw pyelontech at €2000 say, leaving €2445, which buys at lot of electrician time (or maybe it doesn't) to mount the the inverter and battery boxes, install all DC and AC breakers and switches, and connect the panel tails from the panel install. Configure and test the inverter, batteries, and WiFi, and bobs you uncle. This €2445 is almost exactly the grant. Is it good value? Tbh, I'd expect those quotes to be net of the grant, so it seems decent enough to a point.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There is no battery included, the quotes are before and after the grant. Does it seem excessive without a battery.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's excessive. The breakdown now mean €3350 to supply and fit 10 panels, brackets and cables, near enough €2000 panel install labour, and without the battery, a whopping €4450 for the work to Install the Eddie and inverter. Also, without a battery, they're probably quoting for a non hybrid 5kw solis, about €600 less, so up that margin to €5 grand for final electrical install. You can resource a 10 panel Install for under 3 grand in materials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement