Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards assembly on drug use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I'm on the fence at the moment with legalize / non legalize/ decriminalize debate.

Its not my thing, I've smoked weed in the past in my younger days but if someone wants to take drugs and or abuse alcohol - ultimately we cant stop them. One friend of mine is a recovering alcoholic sober for 4 years and another is clean and sober for 20 odd, nearly overdosing twice so I'm not preaching here from a high horse.

In an ideal world you take drug of choice , get high or whatever sensation you are aiming for - and then revert back to 'normal' all without having a negative affect on your environment or yourself. We all know this isn't always the case.

The consumption of alcohol and its abuse is a legacy issue that may never be solved. Prohibition doesn't work. Restricted opening hours doesn't work, minimum pricing doesn't work simply on the basis that alcohol is readily available.

I think tobacco will eventually fade away , its being replaced by vapes now but it remains to be seen how long that fad will last.

Should you be punished for taking drug of choice and harming no one (but possibly yourself)? - I would say no.

Do I want to see a scenario where people are high as a kite/ coked of their heads/( Insert your own euphemism) as I'm doing the shopping in Tesco?

I would also say no, and that is the ' technically not bothering me' scenario.

Insert scenario of your choice - In the pub/ cinema/ sporting event/ behind the wheel of a car/ operating a machine and suddenly the legalization or decriminalization isn't as straightforward as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its the same as saying the war on crime is failing people commit crime every day . We should just give up & make free legal, its the best way forward

Cocaine should never be legal

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

"nightmare of a drug" obviously the millions of people who enjoy using it worldwide wouldn't agree with you. It would be a good idea because it would reduce/eliminate criminal involvement, it could be produced more safely and generate tax for governments, which could be used to treat the tiny minority of people who develop problems with cocaine. As it is, the state gets ZERO for any coke-related hospital admission. It would also free up precious police time and resources. Why not try it for 2/3 years, if the pros don't outweigh the cons by then, we can always revert to this current "successful" policy.

Post edited by Tomaldo on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No it isn't, I would suggest that you reread my posts more carefully instead of misrepresenting my words

At no point did I suggest that any criminal behaviour should be legalised simply because a percentage of the population commits crime

However, trying to stop something by legal means is only feasible if you can enforce it, at least to the point where you have a high degree of confidence that you can catch most of the perpetrators

This is plainly not the case for drug usage, if anything it seems to be going up every year. It's obvious that the current approach isn't working so something new is needed

I believe the path forward is to minimise the number of people falling into addiction and remove the ways in which criminal gangs make money from drug sales

This is why I keep saying decriminalisation isn't sufficient, only legalisation and regulated production and sale will accomplish this

I don't believe legalisation alone is enough, there would need to be more funding available for addiction therapy and support

You can easily argue that more supports are enough, however there will always be money flowing into gangs that way. And it's quite easy to relapse when there some dealer in the street offering you a bag of coke for free, for old times sake (and so he can sell you another bag at twice the price later)

Look at cigarettes as an example. They are legal but the number of smokers has gone down for years, largely because it has been demonised by society and there are a multitude of organisations that help people quit

If only we could do the same for vaping and stop teenagers from taking it up

Now I've laid out my arguments, perhaps you'd like to give a response better than "cocaine bad"? A response which at no point did I disagree with, however I'm eager to see what alternative solutions you have come up with

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Going to your Tesco scenario, I've definitely been in a shop with someone who was on something, or a combination of things

It's pretty head wrecking, not gonna lie

But, do you think legalisation would increase or decrease the number of druggies in the shop?

I don't think it would have any effect personally, there'll still be the same number of addicts in the system as before

Only difference is they're less likely to die of an OD because they can only buy a certain amount from the pharmacy and it won't be cut with builders lime. And maybe they might have a better chance to get into a program to kick the addiction

• Advertisement

Interesting Question, if drugs were made legal then yes, I would think that you would see more druggies in the shop/ elsewhere , not of zombie apocalypse levels where there are hoards of them but increased on the basis that you don't have to 'hide' your consumption of drugs anymore as it is legal. Frowned upon, but legal nonetheless. I would imagine it would be akin to see someone staggering home late in the evening or night after a day on the beer - you might say ' he/she had a heavy session', shrug and laugh to yourself or ' he/she will do themselves damage if their not careful' . Would you ring the guards and report them for consuming alcohol ? no - its legal, you might ring them if the person could barely stand or was causing a nuisance.

If made legal would you report someone for snorting coke off a counter in the chipper? No , if they start a fight on coke rage for a perceived slight, then yes.

There is also a cohort of people who could now legally try out drugs without affecting their careers as it would be legal.

My teacher/ doctor/ coach was some man for the drink vs my teacher/doctor / coach was some man for the coke. Doesn't sound right.

Another fallacy I feel is that there isn't a pharmaceutical in the world that would attempt to make a legal version of coke for example, look at oxycontin in the states - that was legal and more addictive than heroin. They would be open to every imaginable lawsuit going, and a government couldn't legally sanction a drug like that unless the potency was so low that you'd need to be snorting flour bags of the stuff to get any type of high, ditto for pills etc. I remember some distillers started selling poitin, 40% alcohol content , distilled under strict licensing conditions . in other words not poitin.

There is no magical catch all solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ OxyContin was branded heroin.

And look how that worked out.

I’ve no interest in any other drug apart from cannabis so haven’t really looked into it.

That was an interesting read. Why would cocaine be made medically available for anyone?

I guess it is after all a pain killer amongst other things but yeah you'd imagine they're be other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

No no, crimes which involve a non-consenting victim such as murder, rape, robbery etc should always be illegal. When a person takes coke, they DO consent, big difference. Also, people get enjoyment from cocaine, nobody enjoys being murdered, raped or robbed.

It's worth saying that legalisation doesn't mean you'd be free to consume drugs anywhere

It's illegal to smoke indoors, and drinking in public places is illegal

So even if it were legalised, it's probably safe to assume most businesses would ban drug consumption onsite

Similarly, I don't think anyone is likely to start doing a line of coke during their lunch break in work (unless they're already doing so). A lot of workplaces have rules that you can't be intoxicated during work and those wouldn't cease to apply if drugs were legalised

There might end up being licensed premises, like weed bars in Amsterdam, which are the only places you are allowed to use drugs

So yeah, maybe a slight increase, but I don't see it being much worse than things are now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I favour liberalisation but there are a few complications.

I was in Amsterdam this year and, while parts of it have been cleaned up to due to pushback against cannabis, parts of the place absolutely reek. I also can't stand the culture around cannabis. That's a personal thing but to me, it's so pretentious and hollow. It's just a glorification of laziness and cynicism.

Keeping the stuff illegal doesn't mean it's not there. It's here to stay so we may as well tax it and use our justice systems for more productive tasks than locking up young fellas for having a tiny amount of hash on them.

As for the rest, I'd begin with decriminalisation and move from there. Portugal has decriminalised everything and it's still in one piece.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

We're a short sighted & hedonistic people, and looking at our drinking culture I think legalization is a colossal mistake, but that's just me.

It’s the smell again. Get rid of the smell and you get rid of the prejudice. Simple.

Again, more ignorance due to over 100 years of prohibition. Ireland has an opportunity to make the legalisation of cannabis as socially acceptable as drinking tea or coffee if we do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭65535

Well seeing as ye are asking...

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to grow 1 (only one) plant - hydroponically - and not just for 'research purposes' but for pain reduction.

Not for sale - just for my own use - but I don't want my name splashed all over the news - 1 plant worth €xxx

And then the other side of the coin:

I had a nice neighbour that passed away.

I didn't know that his son was a heroin addict and was using methadone on prescription.

I saw an ambulance outside his house one night and ran over thinking it was my elderly neighbour but no - it was a friend of the son - dead on the floor in the sitting room - sickening when it comes to your locality.

A family relative got jail time for bringing money from one city to another - visited him in jail - he's off it now and doing well.

His sister got into drug debt over cocaine and we had to help her out - in fairness she's after getting a good job and will pay back but the damn stuff is everywhere - on every street corner....

Currently, the limit before you are considered a commercial grower, is 4 plants. If you are caught with 4 plants and under you maybe fined €1,250 in the district court for a first offence. The guards have a million better things to be doing that going after individuals growing small quantities of cannabis and the chances of you being caught are very slim. Your biggest worry is a neighbour spotting your plant and reporting you.

The outdoor growing season is just finishing up but you can grow indoors, like a garden shed, all year round. Growing indoors is more expensive as you need lights and probably a grow tent but the chances of anybody spotting your grow is less.

If you don’t want the added expense but also don’t want the neighbours to know, I recommend you try growing a cannabis strain called Fresian Duck. The clever people who have produced this strain have made it look nothing like a cannabis plant so the neighbours won’t know.

https://dutch-passion.com/en/cannabis-seeds/frisian-duck

A journalist was in my garden during the summer and sat right beside this pot for a couple of hours and didn’t spot a thing. 😋

One thing a lot of the negative posters on here may not realise, again due to it’s prohibition and the negative stereotypes portrayed in the media, is that there are a huge amount of very clever people who enjoy regular consumption of cannabis and are also involved in the business. It’s a fascinating industry and full of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm mostly of the opinion that if you can grow it, legalise it. Although here in the west we do to seem to have a knack for taking substances that originally had spiritual and medicinal uses and turning it into junk to be sold.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

legalise, and get on with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Stop criminalising people for substance abuse.

This will always lead to a disproportionate negative effect on the poorest sections of society. It doesn't stop crime it doesn't stop abuse so its only function is to punish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭jh79

I'd be happy to be able to just grow a couple of plants at home. I'm quite confident that will be one of the recommendations.

You can drive or operate heavy machinery after cup of tea or coffee

You can indeed. That’s why you tell people not to do those things while under the influence. Like this…….

That's a fair point. I guess I was trying to demonstrate a scenario where something was once illegal and taboo but is now legal and frowned upon may end up becoming more accepted in everyday life. You cant be drunk in a public place but you'd want to be causing a nuisance to others or incapacitated for the guards to step in - that and the cells would be jammed every weekend up and down the country.

Right now you cant take drugs, would or could the same metric be measured if you are high? Possibly.

I agree most if not all businesses would ban drug use on its premises - I dare say they would have no choice - take the smoking ban, it is there in businesses for Health and Safety ( don't sue us) primarily. I just think that it could become more normalized over the years. Those that didn't ban drug use would just be inviting trouble ( cannabis use accepted perhaps ).

That being said the lunchtime pint if you are entertaining a customer for work for example is virtually gone, so maybe the novelty would wear off?

I think it goes back to my original point , if you could somehow take your drug of choice and magically not negatively affect your environment then have at it.

At the moment, due to 100 years of prohibition and misinformation, cannabis is viewed by a sizeable percentage of the Irish population as an illegal drug, in the same category as heroin and cocaine. Evil. End of story.

Then you have people, like yourself, who see the Irish relationship with alcohol and the damage it can do to families and the healthcare system and think we are going to have a repeat of the same problems with cannabis. I believe, and I’m joined in my belief by some people who are dealing with the situation every day, you are wrong.

People, since the dawn of civilisation, have always sought out an escape from reality. That is never going to change. But in the future, people can decide for themselves and without breaking any law, to choose cannabis over alcohol for their escape route.

Alcohol is a poison. You use it to kill germs. If you water it down enough, it is drinkable but your body has a real problem with it. That’s why we have hangovers. I wake up after an edible - an ounce of cake, and feel absolutely fine. I’ve also had a great night’s sleep. That never used to happen when I drank.

Alcohol and cannabis do not mix. You can get ‘whiteouts’ which are basically blackouts with lots of vomit. Not nice.

So I’ve given up drinking, apart from a pint or two, every few weeks. I now drink 0.0 mostly, in the pub with friends and nobody is any the wiser that we’ve had some cake. We do laugh a lot though.

So nobody in the pub has a problem with us. There’s no telltale smell so they don’t know.

That’s why I believe it will be socially acceptable in the future. And I would never condone anyone driving or operating heavy machinery while under the influence. I’ll leave that to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Legalise cannabis, MDMA and mushrooms

Decriminalise cocaine (referral to health services)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

Seems to me to make sense to at least decriminalise cannabis as it is from what I have seen less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Heard a Garda on the radio a few weeks back talking about how great their drug testing kits were now and if I remember correctly saying they could detect cannabis in a sample at a road side stop from a driver having used the cannabis about a week before the test. The garda sounded like they thought it was great to be able to get a positive test so long after the driver had used the controlled substance. I remember reading a few years back that traces of cannabis can be found in our bodies as much as a month after consumption. I don't think cannabis would still be influencing a drivers ability to drive that long after consumption but will someone consuming cannabis and avoiding driving for a considerable amount of time still be subject to prosecution for trace amounts found in their system on a random road side test even if it is decriminalised?

On the question on drug use, I have seen articles that have suggested overall drug use has actually dropped in places where a more liberal approach to drugs have been in pace for some time so I can see it being highly likely that legalising some drugs could actually help reduce overall consumption. The argument that some drugs act as a gateway to others to me is a good reason to allow people use some of the less harmful ones with careful quality control so they are less likely to go to unregulated sources where they will get lower quality and access to more harmful substances that an illegal supplier has no reason to not sell. Decriminalised and legalised drugs may do less damage as they can be legislated to comply with quality standards and suppliers can be regulated to not supply more harmful drugs.

• Advertisement

Have you ever been in a Garda station or inside a prison and seen the forms they have to fill out? Unchanged in decades. So yes, getting the DoJ to change the testing set up will be a huge problem I believe. Hopefully, a more progressive European justice department will be able to offer assistance to the stone age jobsworths that exist here.

Advertisement