Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

James Ryan played on after the injury, could be a stress fracture but also could easily be badly bruised which would just about put him in contention but he wouldn't be able to train much this week, Hansen seemed to walk off unaided so if it is just a bang to the calf you'd expect him to be available, I'd be more concerned with Lowe and complications with eye recovery. One of either Earls and Henshaw and maybe by the the end of the week we won't be talking about a disaster of an injury list, however I still think it was a mistake not playing JOB in one of the group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

Any mention of Tadgh Furlong, I assume he must be fine if his name didn't crop up this morning.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a 48 hour delay between a player being called up and being allowed to train with the squad. Which means realistically, if we're calling someone now they won't be training until Thursday.

Which is to say, it's unlikely that anyone outside of the group of players who are currently in France will be involved next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Stu retains the 23 jersey. No harm in having large center taking 2 defenders out of play every time he carries the ball. He's also a fantastic offloader.

I can't see risking Ryan. If his hand is banjaxed, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Unless they are playing mind games with NZ over the injuries, hard not to see Hansen, Lowe at least, ready for Sat.

No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They scored 11 tries against us in three tests

True. However 6 of those tries were in the first test, where Carbery came on after 30 minutes (4 of the 6 scored after that).

Ireland dropped Carbery in the AIs and haven't conceded more than 2 tries in a game since. Munster dropped Carbery the following spring and won the URC. Not pinning EVERYTHING on him, but the coincidence is striking.

Sparing a rake of injuries, I'd say par for us against this NZ side is conceding 2-3 tries.

The question is how many we score... if the bulk of our starters get to '60 it's hard to see it being under 4....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think the Irish Management have ever really gone in for the mind-games etc.

Things can change obviously but as of when they gave the update earlier I'd believe what they are saying.

If they are saying that they are hopeful, then I'd take that at face value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ireland didn't drop Carbery in the AIs. He was on the bench against SA and started the Fiji game before going off with a HIA, meaning he missed the Aus game.

During the AIs..., in the AIs..., it was around that time Ireland dropped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,049 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Positive news on the injury front

We need everyone fighting fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's what I would have thought.

And I got more than 'hope' from the presser, I think Lowe and Hansen will be raring to go come Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

This kiwi ain't nervous. I expect us to lose so nothing to be nervous about.

Anyone reckon JS will roll the dice and go for the November 2016 tactics in the Aviva? I.e., just bring the brutality, hope they stay legal and get 1-2 of our key players off the pitch?

The obvious target would be Sexton, but I honestly think you'd get just as good a return if you took out Ringrose. A midfield of Stu and Bundee will concede tries against that All-Blacks attack, even if there's only 14 of them.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I highly doubt it - The game is referreed very differently today than it was 5/6 years ago.

They would have yellow/red cards by the hatful if they go for the big smashes as a tactic.

And even if those led to Ireland needing to replace a few key players, NZ would still lose.

It's a much bigger risk now, I completely agree.

BUT, they don't necessarily have to be illegal (or obvious) shots to be effective...

They definitely need to bring a physical intensity to the game that they have been lacking in recent times.

If they don't at least get to parity at the break-down they are done for.

I think the NZ back-row is better without Cane (Ireland b/r still better though) so it will be interesting to see if they start him or not.

No, he was dropped for the 6N. If he hadn't been basically assaulted by the Fijian player he would have played against Aus as Sexton was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

If the AB's try to brutalise us, they'll fail. They just don't have the right set of players to do so, no offence to Retallick, Savea or Papali'i On the flip side, I can see us trying to bully them a bit physically; SA showed how effective that tactic can be. The AB's are probably the most ruthless attack in the competition, but only with quick ball and space or broken field play. We have the personnel to take that away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fair to call this the biggest game in Irish rugby history?

I know we can point to Grand Slam's, series win in NZ... hard to see past this Saturday as a massive massive opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I don't think correlation equals causation in this case. We haven't had an away fixture Vs any of the other top 4 sides in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Speaking of, this is going to be even better than a home game for Ireland.

Aviva capacity is almost 52,000.

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be more than that number of Irish fans in the Stade on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

On the subject of the front row, I’m concerned about Furlong’s relatively poor form so far in this RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,049 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were in such a better place than 4 years ago

Trying to think back but I think nobody gave us a hope in 2019 esp after the Japanese loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Been trying to put this game to the back of my mind for a considerable period now, even when it became clear they were almost guaranteed to be our opponents.

Nerves already starting to build up and it's only Monday 😫.

I do think the extra 2 days to prepare for this game is a decent advantage for NZ. We scored very early in all our games in the summer tour last season. NZ will make a point to come out very hard I think. If we get to 15 mins intact I fancy us. Our pack is stronger. Weather the storm, and let them get on top of NZ and open the space up.

Also be interesting to see if NZ are brave enough to not start their captain. Feels like they are stronger without him.

Uruguay held them scoreless for 20 mins by being constantly in their faces. Not full strength NZ I'll admit, but we can do that much better, and unlike Uruguay, we can sustain it

And while NZ have an extra two days, we've had one game in 14 days. We also subbed off Sexton on 44 mins and 5 of the pack on 48 mins, so they'll be fresh enough.

Fair enough.

But I maintain our current backup 10 (Crowley) is a substantial upgrade on defense. And we have also improved a lot in this area since the Summer tour last year.

I think that's a tiny bit harsh.

I think a ~15 month period not conceding more than 2 tries in a game, including SA x2, Aus, England x2, France and Scotland x2, is phenomenal defense, whether it be home or away.

I don't want to pin the entire improvement on jettisoning Carbery, to be clear. But they obviously took a look at systems somewhere in and around the 2022 AIs, and 2023 6N, moved things around, and turned us into an absolute machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think that's fair. A WC QF is a bigger game than anything in the 6 Nations or on tours. The NZ game in 2019 and France games in 2003 and 1995 we were considerable underdogs which detracted from the occasion. We had a decent enough chances in 2011 and 2015 but Wales and Argentina are not as big as New Zealand. The Australia game in Landsdowne Road in 1991 is the only game that comes close for me but the World Cup was nowhere near as big then as it is now and again even though we performed brilliantly on the day and should have won not many would have given us a chance before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Speaking of weather....forecast is for rain on sat

Wont suit Ireland. Will need to put the boot to ball more than they would like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement