Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If we have to call up a winger or back 3 I would choose in this order

1) Balacoune(apologies if spelt wrong)

2) Larmour

3)Stockdale

4)Conway (yep I know he has been injured ages)

4(Nash)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

All being fit, Baloucoune would be my first choice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Conway was injured for the last Munster match so not sure on his fitness. Nash would be the most error-free of the above imo but a longer odds bet... I'd love to see Balacoune get it, I'd have him at 14 and Hansen at 11 for Lowe in an ideal team.

Hopefully it won't come to it, I hate seeing players World Cups ending in injury, it's a real once in a lifetime (or a couple more if you're very, very lucky obviously) opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

I dont think NZ have shown anything so far that would have me overly worried. Yes they batter the minnows but the first game against France was poor fare from both sides and NZ still were soundly beaten.

The Schmidt factor might possibly be a negative for a team like NZ. Their best bet is to be as adventurous as possible with ball in hand while Schmidt is very Conservative. Their front 5 will not batter their way through the Irish defence and they don't have the South African power to have us committing more than we need to at the ruck, to create the space they need for their backs. Their best bet is to try and move us all round the pitch as much as possible, looking for the opportunity to get a mismatch and an offload in the tackle.

Provided we don't bring any baggage into the game then I'd expect an Irish win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

We had a game to figure them out last year...and discipline helped get back into that series . The last game in the Aviva we dominated but gave up answer piece try the like they have down to a fine art now ..and a chip over the top try created by Jordan that there's not much you can do about.

I am curious to see how they defend they are a lot more passive then SA but it was clear from the Maories game in the Rds they were testing blitzing up on that diamond shape.

We've to be ready for their purple patches and manage those situations where their tails are up, particularly at restarts. Bend don't break. They are very capable of doing what they did in the later 20mins in the first test again.

Last year they were a team of Individuals trusting they would create enough from talent alone to win with some very naive defending..they are a different proposition now.

Ireland are more battle hardened at this point but that doesn't count for much if chasing shadows.

I know this is a very emotionally level Ireland team but it's "to the well" time, we've kept it topped up for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I’d also love to see Baloucoune but he wasn’t even in the training squad. I think it would 100% be Stockdale except he is just back from injury. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went for Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Osbourne was in the squad too. I'd call him or Nash up before Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If we are down both wings and Ryan, I will be pessimistic. But, this team are warriors....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He was in Japan and not selectable for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

NZ are the one team that has been able to break down our defence. They scored 11 tries against us in three tests last summer. They're fairly lethal in attack. France beat them up but they were still by far the more dangerous team in attack for the opening 50 minutes scoring two lovely tries and really should have had at least one more in the first half.

The question is whether the continued progress of our defence will shut them down and have they managed to make progress up front to match us at the breakdown.

Our error count really needs to be as low as possible. Putting any ball down or turning over easy possession can be fairly ruthlessly punished.

We're the better team but NZ have the tools to beat us. We're going to need a serious performance. It was brilliant that we got to empty the bench so early at the weekend. Guys like Beirne, Porter, Furlong and POM will be fresh enough now having had only 48 minutes of rugby in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Agree. Think it's unlikely we'll need to replace both wingers. Osborne and Nash have both been reliable in terms of what they've faced so far, and Osborne offers positional flexibility and a big boot.

Of the injury concerns, I'm most worried about Hansen due to the creative contribution he makes, think our backline loses a dimension without him. Anyway, here's hoping that the injuries aren't as severe as we all dread. And get Healy into the camp already...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Doesn't sound from Morning Ireland that Lowe's, Hansen's, Earls, injuries are insurmountable. We know Henshaw won't be ready for NZ.

So Ryan seems to be the big worry with a broken hand.

A bit of rare luck for this team at a World Cup would be nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

I don't think you can have Stockdale and his propensity for missed tackles vs the AB's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Stockdale, Stewart and Prendergast were the last three to be sent home - I'd assume they're first back in.

Excactly. There appears to be a fairly clearly defined pecking order based on selections to date.

Baloucoune won't be in the conversation at all. He wasn't in the training squad over the summer so is essentially not in the mix. I'd imagine it's Stockdale, Nash, Osborne in that order.

Right now, I'd guess that there will be no call up though. The reports yesterday were generally fairly ok on Lowe and Earls so I'd expect at least one of them to be available if not both with JOB backing them up and McCloskey retaining the 23 jersey (which could be Earls too if now fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Seadin

When will we know for certain about the players and who is available of the potential injury list?

If there are other players to come in they would want to know fast and get them up to the speed of play for the weekend. Such a pity we have this dilemma going into a QF especially against NZ. Hopefully we can pull off a win and make history. Surely this is motivation for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

We always seem to have this dilema though. How may minutes has Henshaw played so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I'd be amazed if McCloskey is named again at 23. Our backline rejig yesterday worked ok thanks to Bundee adapting/tackling well at 13 and JGP putting in a good show on the wing. Wouldn't like to see us forced into that formation against NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That's because you wasted your nerves on a waste of a team!

I had the feeling that this Ireland side were destined to meet NZ after the draw was made.

Its laughable to hear NZ talk of revenge!!

Sexton, Murray, Ringrose, Furlong, vdF, POM & co have had 4 years of pain eating at them after the embarrassing capitulation in 2019.

Ireland are the better side now but I'm nervous as hell because this game is so tight it could all be decided on the bounce of a ball.

That's the risk we always take though when we have a centre at 23 and that has long been the approach. It isn't anything to do with McCloskey specifically. If Henshaw was there, the exact same thing would have happened aside from Henshaw going to 13. Ringrose and JGP would still have been moved to the back three.

I think Farrell might prefer Earls in the 23 overall though but I wouldn't hazard a guess. I think it's very tight between McCloskey, Earls and JOB for that role generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It will depend on the positions where injuries happen, not on the order players were sent home. In a worst case scenario where Henshaw, Earls and Hansen all were ruled out for the tournament and Lowe was ruled out of the NZ game, calling up Stewart and Prendergast would be insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

surely the last 3-4 years has shown that joe wasnt the tactical genius we all seemed to think at the time, was holding the team back

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

It's been written in the stars lads.

Lowe, Hansen, Ryan, Henshaw and Earls all to receive full bills of health within the next 72 hours.

Ireland to win by 11 Saturday night.

Hansen to be MOTM.

Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I hate to say it but those failures were very much comprehensive defeats. Performing to our best but a marginal loss is actually progress in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The first person that will be joining the squad will be Cian Healy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Broadly speaking I agree , but he'll be feck all use if 3 or more of the of the currently injured outside backs fail to make the cut for this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

My point is that Stockdale will be called up before Nash or Osbourne if we need an outside back, Prendergast will be called up before Coombes if we need a back rower, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Ireland to win 26-18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Depends on what position needs replacing but yeah, for back 3, hooker and back row those lads are next in line after Healy who initially made the squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement