Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm pretty zen about this.

This team is reasonably healthy and I have no doubt that they will be firing on all cylinders to play positive, confident rugby.

So either the AB's bring their best performance in a good while and beat us, or we advance to the SFs.

If it's the former, chapeau. All you need to do is avoid this forum for about a week, and maybe ignore one or two social media accounts. Let them snigger into a void.

And then life goes on, we look forward to rebuilding without Sexton, and integrating the exciting young talent emerging around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

I know people talk about Joe being an advantage to New Zealand for obvious reasons, but it has to be pointed out also that whilst accepting the fact that he knows this Irish team somewhat, this Irish team also knows him and how he thinks and prepares. He is the master of coming up with a set play to target a perceived weakness in an oppositions defence etc, but as we saw in both our world cup exits in 2015 and 2019, whilst he is a fantastic coach he only had a plan A and doesn't allow players to makes their own decisions on the pitch. Now I don't see this begin as regimented as much in this All Blacks team as was evident with Ireland, but it is another layer to the intrigue of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not necessarily, he wrote the Irish players off as not skillful enough to play his preferred game plan, so he adapted a more limited game plan. With NZ he has no holds barred, so the players can theoretically enact a much more complicated game plan involving offloads and skillful handling that he didn't believe the Irish players could execute.

Perhaps this generation of players are more skillful than what he had to work with, but I still think the last World Cup was an opportunity lost. We didn't offload the ball enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

NZ's depth is just not what it once was. Their is a significant drop from their starting 23 in my opinion.

Barrett at 12 has solved a lot of their attacking problems I think. He makes it so much easier for them to vary their attacking game and get the ball wide which is where they are lethal.

I still think they are undisciplined when they are under pressure and that's where I see the winning of the game for us. If we are disciplined, and play reasonably well I think they will leak too many penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Team will be named on Wednesday this week apparently, which will be good

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think currently I'd prefer to have Mike Catt than Joe Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

Fair enough point about the evaluation of the Irish players but I do still think that there is a lot of knowledge about how he thinks in this Irish squad from both a player and coaching staff perspective.

It might not matter at the end of the day and Saturday may very well be a dig fight without and set plays making much of a difference as such, especially given that the forecast isn't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭COH

Anyone hear anything about strike action on Fri 13th?

From the email I got today from world rugby about downloading my tickets...

Please be aware that a strike notice for the French transport sector has been issued for Friday 13 October. If you are planning to travel on that day, contact your transport operator to anticipate the potential impact on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Syd no! You put images in my head I can't delete!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The same was threatened the Friday of the Tonga game and was eventually called off. Pain in the arse though.

Based on previous strikes, they will be more likely to allow flights landing in France than overflights so those travelling directly will hopefully not be too affected. The international trains (Lyria from geneva, thalys from Netherlands/Belgium) tend to also run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I still think they are undisciplined when they are under pressure and that's where I see the winning of the game for us. If we are disciplined, and play reasonably well I think they will leak too many penalties.

It’s not even so much penalties as cards that could be the difference. And you’d have to think NZ are the more likely team to pick up a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Which seems a bit ridiculous, given how many of that team are going to be lining out on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ireland have brought forward their team announcement for Saturday's World Cup quarter-final to Wednesday at noon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I largely see this as positive. It might mean there's no need to wait on injuries to improve. Might also be a signal to the opposition that we're not waiting around for rumours or leaks on their team to fine tune. We're going to play our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am worried about the All Blacks. They are a wounded lion after that South African mauling in Twickenham and have had a long time in training to work on their systems. Even the NZ public aren't as expectant as in the past but they still have some very classy players and they will relish the underdog status. The injury list is crucial too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

A positive mindset is needed. We have beaten New Zealand many times now even in their own back yard. We can win again and create a bit of rugby history. Nerves are good, it means it matters. We have a chance now to banish a few QF ghosts by beating the best rugby side in the world. They aren't No1 right now but they are the benchmark for this Irish team. We need to beat them again and tick another box in Irish rugby history.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They were a "wounded lion" when they were comprehensively beaten by France as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Is it Saturday yet? 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

I hope we do a number on them like they did to us in the last wc.

Refereed differently now than 7 years ago. If New Zealand start being over physical we're a different beast than in 2016. And they're less physical. They'd be playing into our hands. We coped with South Africa. They'd be better concentrating on their own pace, ball skill and style of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think NZ have been cruising a little bit. They knew a long time ago that they were going to make a QF. They knew a long time ago it was going to be us or SA.

They knew since the 23rd September once they had lost to France and we beat SA that it was 99% guaranteed to be NZ vs IRL in the QF.

So i don't think we have seen NZ’s best effort. The loss to SA in twickenham was exaggerated by the Barrett red card but they were down two trys at that stage anyway and it was probably their first choice 15.

Tactically i think the game we need to remember is the fixture where they comprehensively beat SA in the middle of July. They kicked with great effect that day, putting the SA wingers and FB under huge pressure, making the wingers turn and dropping kicks into the space between a retreating winger and an advancing FB with very good chasing by their own wingers.

The used beauden, Mo’unga and Jordie to kick that day and it worked very well, having a 12 and 15 able to come into first or second receiver and be as confident and capable running, kicking and passing means our wingers have to wait that extra bit to decide what to cover, the backfield or the line.

Take DAA, if he gets the ball you know whats coming, but jordie can play heads up rugby and decide based on whats in front of him. Its a completely different threat, but keenan is a far better FB than willie laroux with regards covering ground and positioning

Now i dont think that matters either if we have the same pack starting this Saturday as last because the NZ front row isnt a patch on ours and their second row is to old and their backrow is to slow.

Ireland by 10

I agree. He looks wrecked early enough in games. Some players peak earlier than others. Is it a case, at the relatively young age for a prop of 31, he has peaked.

He had a calf injury in the Spring maybe he just hasn't gotten back to his best. Form is temporary and class is permanent. So if Tadhg came into top form it would be some boost.

I suppose it's always the case in any team sport 2 or 3, or more, won't be at their max. Limerick hurlers, Dublin footballers, Kilkenny hurlers in their pomp had a few off form.

I think it's important Bealham offers something and he definitely does the past few years.

Tadhg is still contributing a lot but naturally gets judged by the highest standards.

True every coach has his time and Joe's best days with Leinster and Ireland are almost a decade ago. The 2018 Grand Slam almost 6 years ago, an eternity in coaching advancement.

A good bloke Joe, wish him well, but not Saturday!

We've started well in this WC v SA and Scotland. A good start is huge. In our recent WC history v Wales 2011 and Argentina in 2015 we had awful starts. And of course 2019.

Tús maith leath na hoibre.

The vibes are good around the injuries. Maybe I'm too much glass half full but I expect Lowe and Hansen to play. Furlong too. We'll have one of Earls or Henshaw right (maybe optimistic here!).

I can't see how Ryan would be able to tackle with confidence a week on from looking in such discomfort. Shur he should be back for the Argentina game 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement

Some Cats can have very advanced tactical awareness. Syd's cat must be good!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement