Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find out what % of an estate is social housing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Also, no matter what you do, you may die of cancer. So there's no benefit in investigations and tests to see what might be going on inside you.

</sarcasm>

It's all about probabilities. It's just inconsistent to say that putting social housing all together creates ghettos, but also say that spreading it around doesn't create issues for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yep this is why we have what we have atm due to that been the case. However I understand people feeling peeved knowing you paid full why someone may have paid a much lower amount

Also there has to be a way if there are social houses there is a reporting system that give a damn if the person/people living there are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JCN12

Ferrari - pretty nice. Have you thought about trading in for a BMW or Merc? Seems to be a lot of them around these days, so might be better on petrol.

• That is factually incorrect.
    • Incremental Tenant Purchase Scheme for existing local authority houses, 2016
    • Tenant Purchase of Apartments Scheme (TPAS)
    • Incremental Purchase Scheme for newly built houses, 2010
    • Tenant Purchase Scheme, 1995 (closed to new applicants)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don’t think living in the middle of a major city, and a private housing estate in county anywhere, are comparable. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Used to be net curtains back in the day. Was a point of interest coming down Gardner street in the car as a kid. You’d know you were in Dublin.

In defence of the OP, when you read articles like this, you want to mitigate your exposure to risk when buying.

If the local governments actually enforced their obligations to evict poor behaving tenants, their would be a very swift cleansing process.

If you are living beside trouble making private renters, there may be some recourse via the landlord.

As it stands, if you happen to live beside a poor behaving tenant of the council, you are in for a wild ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,744 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The courts are unlikely to allow a council to evict anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Live beside a bad behaved tenant /householder at all your in for a wild ride.

The prejudices on boards is disgusting

In your own prejudiced view perhaps.

Reread my post.

• Advertisement

I'm not the one afraid of/ hating on social tenants😂

Tbf, it's just the typical attitude seen on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

The council can't evict people in reality.

If they evict somebody, they'll say they are homeless. Who deals with homelessness? The council.

By evicting somebody they create massive amounts of work for themselves, and they still have to deal with the person anyway, and still have to provide them with a housing solution.

Once you're into a council house, you're in, so you can do whatever you like without consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I'm not having a go at you personally, but dismissing what may be valid concerns as a prejudice is one thing that has got to stop. We have monumental issues in the country, and in the West overall, that exist solely because open discussion is proscribed.

Taking social housing in particular, there are major issues with the current model that are financially and even ethically unsustainable. We can't keep ignoring them because some people who are unaffected by them get upset by asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well consider that people who do not work are given a house or apartment for a song with all maintenance included whilst those who work pay huge rents or mortgages for a hovel. Does that seem ethical?

This goes round and round everyone in social housing is not working? How many threads have come up on boards about social housing at this stage?

I'm sure that it's been said on these boards, but that's not what I I said. There are many in social housing who do work, but there are also a great many who do not.

The truth should not make way for feelings.

It seems you may be a great council tenant or sympathiser for same. However, there are many who are not well behaved, and have become enshrined with entitlement.

Pushing back against realities and living in denial to be a nice person only fuels the problem. Policy failures need voiced, examination and rectification.

The current state of the subvented permanent residency is simply not acceptable or sustainable for a small economic community of contributors.

Examing the police on economic grounds is not the same as the hyperbole and nonsense you get on boards regarding this issue, maybe you need to canvas your local TD or a journalist.

• Advertisement

We are in the early stages of the election cycle, ask your local TD has much of an issue this policy is for those who get in touch with them. I'II take a guess that it's not the number one issue they are contacted about.

It's not the same at all. Fortunately, that's not what I or many others here have said. We've expounded why the current social housing model is fiscally unsustainable, and I added the moral argument to boot. There's nothing hyperbolic about that. No one who thinks seriously on the matter is saying that everyone in a social house is a drug-addict.

It's all simply a matter of what resources are available. The social housing model that we have today was created when circumstance were very different to what is the case now. The old model isn't fit for purpose. Indeed the state is actively buying and renting properties to provide housing using the tax money of people who themselves are unable to find a place to live. That is, forgive my saying so, appalling.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

A prejudiced view of social housing tenants is not a valid concern, it's a prejudice.

As for ethics? The reason social housing exists is to house people who cannot house themselves for any amount of reasons. That's the point of it.

a homeless crisis in the country, that everyone is aware of, and still people complaining about social housing🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If social housing in itself is not the issue, ie everyone knows the properties are high quality, the green spaces are attractive, the locations and services (schools transport etc) are on a par with other areas, and the people who avail of subsidized housing are no better or worse than anyone else, then please can someone explain what is the problem with building more SH estates? I don't get it.

SH tenants need a place to live but the current model where councils rely on acquiring a small percentage of hugely expensive private developments and allocating those units to a few SH tenants versus spending that same money on building less expensive units to house more people is clearly not delivering enough houses. And it cant be the cost because councils and AHB's are also buying extra units over the Part5 allocation - at full price - in very expensive estates. How can councils stand over that mis-management of public money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

NYC is a complete failure, not at all the model we should follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

"... everyone knows the green spaces are attractive, the locations and services (schools transport etc) are on a par with other areas, and the people who avail of subsidized housing are no better or worse than anyone else, then please can someone explain what is the problem with building more SH estates? I don't get it"

What you're not getting is that SH has improved because it is now built in small numbers and integrated with private housing.

But the huge 100% social housing estates built in the past that some think we should go back to, were NONE of those things. They were literally thousands of houses built on green fields on the outskirts with little or no services. That is why we must never go back to that model.

My family moved into a SDCC house in Tallaght in 1984. The nearest bus route was well over a mile away. The house was basic. No central heating, only an open fireplace in the living room and one in the kitchen. No flooring. Single glazed wooden windows. No GP nearby. No dentist. No pharmacy. Only a prefab for a primary school. No secondary school. No church (not that I was bothered by that). No phone lines (these didn't arrive for nearly three years). The nearest phone box was 2 miles away. 1 small shop for literally thousands of houses. This pre-dated the Square, the Hospital, and the Tallaght by-pass.

Now, these things came later. Much, much later. Sometimes decades later. But if you really think the old model of SH estates had lovely green manicured spaces with services, schools, transport - even roads! ready in place, then you're either on a wind up or are very naive about the reality of what that kind of social housing was like.

Edit: here is an article written about Fettercairn, in Tallaght in 2007. That estate was over 20 years old by that stage and still didn't have a GP. Does this sound like a good model to return to, to you?

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly. Point proven.

Living next door to social means if you get a bad tenant, there is little you can do.

Which is why people dont want to live next to them.

By prejudice you mean a bias against council housing based on no grounds?

The quantitative and qualitative data undermine your claim of prejudice, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Because the councils have no home builders of their own, but they do have a lot of money.

They are taking the easy way out to reduce their social housing list and couldnt care less about the impact on their constituents.

I belive Dun Laoghaire council built 2 social homes last year.

2 social homes in a borough with a population larger than Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

People who sell drugs from their Social House should be evicted immediately , destroying the neighbourhood ifor everyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement