Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find out what % of an estate is social housing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Interesting/relevant story in the news;

I-RES completes sale of 194 units in Dublin (rte.ie)

Hansfield is a recent/ongoing development of private housing in Dublin, which would have been subject to the usual percentage of social units. And people would have bought their houses in full knowledge of that.

Except now, 194 private apartments are being sold to Tuath to be given to people on the housing list. Whether this is a good or bad thing is highly debatable (see above) but it's a pretty big shift in the profile of the estate and I don't personally think that's fair on the other residents. It's something to be aware of for anyone contemplating a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And I can assure you and the other poster, that Gardai get just the same amount of calls about anti social behaviour from those private estates as large social housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Nobody said council tenants are the only culprits for anti social behaviour.

However, if you read the posts, it is issues such as the impossibility to properly evict toxic tenants from state supported housing, or the unjustifiably low rent caps that usually sit around 15%, regardless of how high an income it goes.

Calling out completely disproportionate policy is not prejudice. You really need to go find a thesaurus to better find a use for that word.

Though, clearly I have touched a nerve.

Touched a nerve? If you mean I don't like prejudices, then yes you're right.

Why do you think the rent is low? Because social housing is for people that cannot house themselves. It's not gonna be 2k a month is it? That's the point of it.

As for evictions, they do happen and it's much easier then if you had a anti social private tenant or house owner next door. They still need housing but councils do move tenants.

Have you got the statistics to back this up? If so, let's see them.

• Advertisement

Have you or anyone else got the statistics to back up claims that the Gardai get more calls for anti social behaviour in social housing estates then private housing estates?

because if love to see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I paid a lot of money for my house in a nice area.

I don't find it galling at all. But then again, I don't live in perpetual terror of social tenants.

People are people, and I go back to my point that anti-social behaviour is not limited to social tenants, and assholes come in all shapes, sizes and income brackets.

Really?

The thoughts that children attending schools in areas recognised by the Dept of Ed as being disadvantaged got a free meal at school and a homework club, is enough to "boil your blood"?

That's a disgusting attitude. And it says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Oh really! Why should kids being discrimated! Really you tell me. Why should some have to pay for everything while others don't! Why should not kids being offered freebies in school! That shows we are not an equal society are we? When only some get special treatment in schools! "disadvantage area school" while their mommy have plenty of money for getting their latest fake nails and fake eyelashes!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. I dont know how many homes are in the development in total, but 194 plus the 10% or 20% Part V allocation means that you could easily be looking at a majority social housing estate now.

Again, I dont know why people pay top dollar for new builds when the govt keep doing this. Much better value and peace of mind in a second hand estate.

• Advertisement

Prejudice again. 🙄

Moving is not eviction. There is no risk for poor behaviour from tenants. It's called a moral hazard.

Social housing is only means tested at the point of entry. After that, the 15% cap falls into place. If an income raises to multiples of the national median income, they will only ever pay up to the rent cap. Which is disproportionate.

If you cannot detach from your own prejudice viewpoint/ personal circumstances, there is no point having this conversation with you. Going around in circles is quite the waste of time.

Touched a nerve, did I?

By the way, plenty of kids from private housing estates also attending DEIS schools., and get the same "freebies".

Your attitude is disgusting. True colours always reveal themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think I touched a nerve on you. Go back to do your lips botox. Perhaps get another Canada goose for a 1k while you are at it.

Living the life

There are around 1200 schools deemed Deis schools countrywide. That covers an awful lot of kids and 'normal' schools, whatever that means. I know many schools in leitrim are designated as Deis schools, my friends kids went to a couple. They are normal local schools that everyone in the area goes to. All kids get food in them.

Can't believe anyone would begrudge children some food......

Yep, definitely hit a nerve.

Homeowner, full time employed, never had botox or false anything in my life or owned anything canada goose or otherwise, but I grew up in social housing so you apply your lazy stereotypes to me.

That's prejudice for you.

By the way, for future reference, the nine grounds for discrimination are: gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race and membership of the Traveller community.

Not whether you get a free breakfast in school or not.

Have a nice afternoon.

So you do not have any proof, and have resorted to telling lies.

I'm not prejudiced😂

neither am I afraid of or jealous of social housing tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think most people would agree that a lot of large council estates built in the 70s were not a success.

Does anyone ever ask why?

In any large group of people there are always going to be a number of troublemakers. How is it that in council estates these people have so much influence? Most services such as education, health, etc. seem to be provided at least on a par with private estates.

It appears to me that the main failing is by the landlord. A private landlord will generally take prompt action against a tenant that is causing trouble or damage. The various councils (not just Dublin) appear to have been very lax and unresponsive and appear to continue to be, going by the amount of tenants that are in arrears.

The people who suffer most on these estates are the ordinary people living in them. The have been badly let down by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

30% of DCC social rents are in arrears as well.

There are plenty of good folks in social estates, nobody is denying that. But its obvious that you are more likley to encounter antisocial behaviour and higher crime rates in social estates vs private estates.

Someone posted a while back about the number of jobless houses in Finglas. It was a crazy number.

And here we are in full employment with vacancies coming out of our ears.

The govt have made it too easy to do nothing unfortunatley.

Fair play to you. You didn't buy an ex-council house in a disadvantaged area then? Funny that.

Anti-social behaviour is not limited to social tenants. It's just far more prevalent in low income households. This is not up for debate, and it's not a uniquely Irish phenomenon.

And pretty much anyone getting a house from the council these days is entirely dependent on welfare. The days of "I grew up in a council house and me da worked every day of his life" are long gone.

• Advertisement

No unfortunately, I was out bid on the first house I wanted, but the house I did buy is less than 15 minutes walk from where I grew up. Some would probably consider it disadvantaged, purely because of the postcode, but I don't really GAF. I don't spend my time obsessing about these things or worrying about where my neighbors' income comes from.

Lived in this area for nearly 40 years now, seen it go from empty fields to what it is now, and the only way I'll leave it is in a box. 👍

"..the only way I'll leave it is in a box."

At least you are keeping an open mind.

That's all fair enough. But when you bought your house, you knew exactly what you were getting into, having been there so long. You knew the area, you know what the people are like, and having grown up in a rough area, you knew what to expect.

This thread is (or was) about being able to know what you're buying into and being fully informed before making the biggest investment of your life. You had that luxury, but others don't.

More than you can say for some on this thread.

What do you mean "exactly what I was getting into"?

It was a fully private estate, and as totally new to me as any other estate, irrespective of the distance from where I grew up. The first time I stepped into it, was when I went to view the house. So no, I didn't "know the area".

More prejudice on display as obviously even 15 minutes away from social housing, isn't far enough for some people.

My then neighbours must have been dreading the thoughts of the single mother from a nearby council estate buying into their lovely private estate, and bringing the area down. They probably assumed I was on social welfare, as well.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

So no, I didn't "know the area".

I assumed you "knew the area" because your previous post said "lived in this area for nearly 40 years now". In fact, you made a virtue of how well you knew the area and that the only way you're leaving it is "in a box".

So, you can see why your posts are confusing at best and utterly contradictory at worst.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This thread is getting a lot of reports and has gone well away from the simple answer to the initial question. I'll see if its plausible to clean up and reopen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement