Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find out what % of an estate is social housing

Options
  • 29-09-2023 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Is it possible to find out what percentage of an estate is made up of social housing?

Moved into a new build estate with a mix of houses and apartments. Can see from the property price register which of the houses didn't pay full market value which indicates a social house (bought by govt./council/charity) but for a block of apartments that have been sold off en masse, is there a way to find out who these are going to?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Why would it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

You'll never find out who's on HAP, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Any particular reason you want to know all your neighbours personal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

It does matter to someone paying full price for a house, better forewarned about a potential ghetto in the making than throwing 300-500k down the shitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In a way it doesn't matter because councils are buying houses in estates at a rapid manner so it's only a matter of time and they'll be all around you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Biggest Investment of your life , I'd want to know.

Social housing is everywhere now. Better get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Inforapenny

This and this.

Not going to take it off topic as just wanted to understand was it possible to find out who will be taking these apartments.

In "fairness" to some of the people in the social houses, the partners seem to be going out and working full days work. So they are probably well off with 50/60 a week rent and a fulltime salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

No it doesn't have to be accepted, in fact it needs to be reviewed and the practice of X amount of social housing in private estates stopped. Plenty of space to set up a new generation of ghettos for those who want a free house, I don't see why they should be getting accommodation of a standard that hard working people have to pay through the eyes for

Social housing isn't free.

I know because i live in one and pay a percentage of my monthly wages for the house. Maybe im not a "hard worker"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Census small areas data was published recently. You can probably get a certain insight into this question from that - it will let you know the percentage renting from a local authority or AHB. It won't include HAP tenancies though, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Dont think anybody has a problem with workers like yourself getting social houses .

The problem is people who never worked or contributed anything positive getting houses for very small rent out of their welfare and destroying the lives of law abiding people in the houses round them. Lot of Irish families & their cousins seem to be allowed get away with this .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Inforapenny

100% agree with you. All new housing estates must have a minimum of 20% of units offered to social housing which is absolutely bananas.

The cost of new build is massive. People dropping 500k on a new build and then probably another 200k in mortgage interest payments on top.

For 500k you could easily buy 2/3 existing houses In certain areas of Dublin anyway and give to social housing.

Even the rent those on the social housing pay for their new build house is usually very low and lots of them working anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Perfectly reasonable not to want to live in a community of social rentals but I am not of anyway to find this information. Maybe you could try to FOI it?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It's very likely the council have leased the entire block of apartments. This allows them to get around the Part V regulations of only 10% social. They buy their 10% social from the developer, then they lease another chunk. Don't be surprised if 50% of the development is not privately owned or rented.

The forced integration of social with private is one of the greatest injustices of modern Ireland, and has no parallel in other Western countries. Anyone think Americans would accept buying in an estate where half the people are on government welfare? It is honestly outrageous and makes the blood boil.

You've obviously never been to America if you believe that. I lived in NY for 5 years east 28th and 2nd Ave beside Murray Hill and some of the most expensive real estate in the country that had social housing blocks dotted around the area. Social integration is fantastic and it's the route all political parties in this country are going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

in the US thats very likely to be subsidized housing for low income families, where the parents are working in low paid jobs.

In ireland you and I know social housing is a very different beast and usually means life long government welfare dependency and has a close correlation with anti-social behaviour.

You are correct that integration is the route alll political parties are going down, but doesn't mean it's right or just. It just forces the kids of middle class parents to mix with delinquents and brings all the kids down to the lowest common denominator. Private schools are the only hope for parents to keep their kids out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Makes my blood boil also.

The private buyer housing their family off their own back has to compete with the council and the investment firms attempting to make a killing on rent.

I've dubbed it the spit roast myself but social injustice sounds better.

You dont even seem to understand what social housing is.

Actually forget I've just checked back on some of your posting history. You just have hate for those in social housing and on welfare.

Carry on I'm not wasting my time conversing with someone of that ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

No point being a victim.

The reality is that you are in a very advantageous position. The rent you pay is based on the differential rent scheme, so approx. 15% of your total income. Their is also the option of buying the house for a heavily discounted rate.

This is all subvented by the tax payer.

It's much like a millionaire complaining about all the troubles that having money can bring. He won't get much sympathy from those struggling to get by.

• Advertisement

I am a taxpayer. What's your point?

Who's a victim? You are making no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

This ^^^, assuming you're looking for a sensible answer and aren't trying to stir things. It doesn't matter whether you're hoping to buy in a brand-new estate or an older one. Over time, the number of council-owned and rented houses creeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

It matters.

If there's antisocial behaviour, which in the real world is more associated with high levels of social housing, then the estate gets a name and your house is worth less and less.

But you already know this....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Whilst you may be a tax payer, collectively all the tax payers in this country subvent council houses.

"Maybe I'm not a 'hard worker' " - Victim mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

I accept you're a working person whose salary is at a level entitling you to social housing. Fine. But you probably pay approximately 15% of your salary which is an absolutely amazing deal by today's standards.

Those on social welfare pay a nominal amount of rent - from the free money they receive, making the housing completely free.

Most people are happy for social housing to be provided to those genuinely unable to work - disabled, complex issues etc. But people are definitely not happy shelling out 5 to 800k to live next door to someone doing nothing. Yeah, not woke or PC, but reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I can understand a certain feeling of unfairness but people but rather than begrudging those in social housing, people never seem to question why they are paying a fortune to either purchase or rent in the private sector? It was not always the case here and need not be in the future.

There are things that could be done to bring prices down for purchasers and private renters but these are never campaigned for. I think the reason for this is that people want to get themselves personally on the upward moving ladder and, once on it, will pull the ladder up and to hell with anyone else.

Begrudgery and punching down, two things Irish people are world leaders in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

so its better to continue with the old method of lumping all the council houses together in estates? i see that as even worse, that breeds a monkey see-monkey do attitude in people living there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Are you suggesting that people living in social housing are particularly guillable or so easily led by others in their community that they all resort to anti-social behaviour?

I dont know how many times i've read on boards and other media that its necessary to house social tenants within 'privately built developments' to ensure there is less anti-social behaviour from social tenants. That's an outrageous slur on the many people living in social housing. The idea that social tenants need to live beside owner occupiers in order to learn how to live 'properly' is disgraceful and whoever came up with that excuse to stop building social housing should be ashamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You can identify social housing in Dublin estates by the window blinds, they normally put the same blinds on council units.

Think they get a job lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement