Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers behaviour on roads

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A driver who can't handle a vehicle ahead of them that's travelling at a legal limit for a particularly class that is also allowed on that road should not be trusted with a driving licence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also as mentioned, a driver who can't handle a vehicle that's *stopped* ahead of them on a motorway should not be trusted with a licence.

can someone give me a context in which (short of a motorist swerving across into a different lane, etc.) a motorist doing 80+ km/h who rear ends a motorist doing 80 (or themselves have to swerve across lanes to avoid the rear ending) would not be found liable for a collision?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Again, posters making blanket statements about someone's abilities without any evidence or backup.

Why, in your view, should they not be using a motorway? What is the minimum speed at which someone should be travelling in order to use a motorway and for what reason is this figure the minimum speed required?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's funny. we're fond of bemoaning poor driving in ireland, poor discipline on the motorway, lack of policing etc.

but then you read threads like this where people are berated for driving in a reasonable manner, and it's them who is causing the danger, not the people who cannot be trusted to drive within the conditions on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It's the condition of his battery, driving slow to conserve battery.

Personally I think it's a combination of factors, possibly age, ability, contrariness

In my mind he is the type of snail with white knuckles rather than the snail going weeeeeeeee on a tortoise 🐢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I drive an EV and am the one doing the tailgating if you're sitting in my fasht lane

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well if I was behind him I'd be perfectly calm however the cars behind me [thousands of them] will start getting impatient and then stupid things start happening like undertaking

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

This thread has turned into a joke. For some reason, the vast majority of posters in here cant cope with driving slower on a motorway. All i have heard so far are ICE drivers claiming that 80kmh on a motorway is dangerous (which it isn't), but at the same time excuse tailgating (which is real the issue).

Yer excuses for tailgating are ridiculous, pure copium:

·      Do I know how to use my car properly?

·      My driving is the cause.

·       Maybe you should stay of the motorway

·      Its my ego or I'm entitled

·      I should be reported to the Gardai for dangerous driving

And not to mention general abuse and insults

Listen to yourselves, such an embarrassment😮. A good portion of you probably have penalty points too. Made my point for me also, anger issues galore in here. A friend told me once that this forum has been hijacked by angry little petrol heads. I didn't believe him at the time.

• Advertisement

Or they can choose to safely overtake, no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If you find a vehicle doing 80 on a motorway, where there's at least two lanes, a hindrance, you should resit your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Your original thread title was abusive against cyclists and now you're the one claiming that you're being abused?

Hypocritical much? 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You seem to be getting a bit agitated - like other road users seem to get with you while driving. Have you considered the reasons why people flash you, beep you and abuse you? What are they saying when they abuse you at lights?

It's highly unusual to get frequent flashing, beeps and abuse in my experience. As in, it's happened a few times in 15+ years driving but probably not this year and never frequently. A little introspection might be helpful before blaming everyone else.

Also, grouping posters / ICE drivers / EV drivers /cyclists into homogenous groups who you think behave the same is an unreasonable and unhelpful generalisation. There are great, average and poor road users in every group.

There's no need to tailgate, and there's no need to drive faster than 80km on a motorway. I pass people toddling along the M11 at that speed all the time. Why are you the special one that gets tailgated, flashed, beeped and abused?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I'm reading these posts and finding it all a bit ridiculous.

Of course 80kph is a safe and respectable speed on a motorway where all drivers are paying attention with due respect and consideration for other road users.

80kph can become problematic when the outside lane is packed with bozos doing 90-100 kph and happy to sit there in convoy without pulling over when appropriate.

And then there's the M50 where I witness pure insanity on a daily basis.

This morning's outstanding escapade involved a low-sprung 2011 Lexus-equipped boy-racer ducking and diving to gain yards, accelerating hard while undertaking, traversing all 4 lanes to use the exit lane to gain another few yards, climbing all over the steering wheel to convey his urgency to anyone who might notice. All this in very poor visibility caused by lashing rain/spray.

Funnily enough 80kph seems to be the optimum speed for heavy M50 traffic as there is very little concertina effect and that speed can be maintained evenly throughout the entire journey, incidents.

I believe research in the UK has also shown 50mph to be the optimum speed on busy motorways for the same reason.

BTW, I like to travel at a fair lick and get quite annoyed at the thoughtless, careless, and downright dangerous driving that I see on a daily basis.

But 80kph cannot be considered a dangerous/selfish speed along the inner lane of a motorway. To suggest that it is betrays a spectacular ignorance of the law and general conduct appropriate to driving conditions.

There has never been a shortage of idiots on Boards but this thread has some shining examples of the species!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Obviously the guy with his hands behind his head is just relaxing,

The OP might only be concerned with the guy behind him, there probably is a long long que of others behind them both, you only need 1 person to slip up, all for the sake of some idiot trying to make his car go an extra few kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

Hard to take this seriously now. Just a wind up trying to set ICE drivers against EV drivers IMO. May as well be slagging off BMW/Audi drivers. Drive on lad and ignore the begruders, they're probably jealous of your EV just as loads are jealous of my sporty L30🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Hehe, and the Gardai say no injuries reported. Maybe they should have included 'yet'!

the lad in the white van will need a medicinal does of stiff whiskey anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭kirving

First thing that came to mind for being flashed was, do you have your lights on?

On a bright, but wet day with spray, "Auto" lights on many cars, (but EV's in particular I notice) often do not activate the rear lights with the wipers.

Secondly, are you doing an actual 80km/h, or 80km/h as indicated by your speedometer? In the latter case, you could be doing closer to 75.

While it is of course legal to do 80km/h, if you're doing so without good reason, you're a fairly terrible driver. Range anxiety doesn't cut it - you should plan better.

The reason for that view is that when on a motorway, other drivers who are doing the limit should not have to brake or accelerate to accommodate you. Drivers behind you are closing at 40+km/h, and have half the time to move to the outer lane, than if you were doing above 100km/h like 95% of other traffic. You are the outlier at 80km/h.

If you were going faster, the other drivers would just have to lift off, have double the amount of time to react, and pass you easily without braking.

Yes it is the responsibility of other drivers to do this, but you're causing almost every single other driver on the road, including busses and trucks to take action to accommodate your own bad planning.

Think of it as standing in the middle of a supermarket door, having a chat with a group of friends. Not illegal, but you'll piss off absolutely everyone who has to squeeze past you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The people calling out that 80km/h on a motorway was dangerous are pretty regular posters here who are known to drive EVs, I put that down to where you chose to post rather than any particular type of driver. There were just as many known EV drivers going the other way and saying that dealing with people travelling at 80km/h or slower is a basic driving skill.

As to the tail gaiting nobody particular focused on it other than yourself. It was your contention that your constantly flashed and beeped at that was the most incredulous and caused the most challenges. If it's truly happening as often as you claim then there is either something very wrong with your car or your driving. People clearly feel it's important enough to get your attention.

Your posts and style come across as an attempt to stir up a culture war, I don't think it's going to happen. The EV section of the motors forum is mostly populated by car enthusiasts who happen to appreciate electrified drivetrains.

My thread title was satirical, not abusive. I'm not surprised you cant tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wont be accepting your biased commentary as it completely ignores/excuses tailgating as a stand alone hazard.

Awfully low IQ argument you are trying to make. In no universe does a front car cause 8 cars to collide behind. The only culprit here is ignoring the 2 second rule.

Do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

ICE, is an abbreviation for Internal Combustion Engine, that would include petrol engines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Normally satire is supposed to have an element of comedy 😝

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well to be honest if someone was aware of a tailgater flashing from behind that would put his driving skills well beyond most.

Pulling in slowly and clearly indicated for an emergency vehicle to pass a few cars behind is a fairly hilarious display of those that drive in blissful ignorance of what's behind when the five or six cars between me and the Garda car in Nass and ambulance in Tralee overtook me and sailed past.

80km/h is not an unsafe speed, whatever the vehicle. 80km/h if not overtaking something yet not in the LH lane is likely to be a cause of annoyance. Certainly in the UK someone doing sixty MPH in anything but the LH lane without overtaking or any other reason would be stopped for a "pep" talk by the police.

I have seen little evidence that more than a small number of car drivers here bother with any form of motorway lane discipline though.

Advertisement