Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEDERER v NADAL V DJOKOVIC (etc) - MOD NOTE 1ST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, more consistent and effortless in the sense he can use it and rally off it better. It’s ridiculously smooth and effortless. It can be flat, soft, hard, angled. My point has 0 to do with safe. Some the BHs RF plays and gets winners off are just insane.

Gasquet’s BH is stunning, but appears to be more deliberate and thought out and measured.

I really think Gasquet’s BH gets a bit overrated, due to the rest of his game being quite average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd think the opposite, Gasquet plays it with no thought, it's off instinct. That's why the rest of his game is so poor, he has to think about and execute other shots that don't come as naturally to him, or require more confidence or work, which is his downfall, and there's clearly a lack of application on his behalf. But that has no bearing on how natural his backhand is.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'd be off the opinion the Federer backhand is that bit less natural and limited by comparison to Gasquet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

For me it It was the point with the 4 ridiculous forehand half volleys off the base line, the last one a winner. I think it was 3-4 in the 5th and Nadal had his eye in, pinging the baseline, but Roger wouldn't take a step back. Front foot or nothing, take it early.

Of the three, what is the one single achievement that ranks greatest? I was thinking of it and cannot fathom, nor look past Roger’s ten consecutive GS finals’ appearances (2005 Wimbledon to 2007 U.S. Open inclusive).

He also did 8 consecutive (2008 FO to 2010 Australia inclusive).

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadals FO record for me. Out of all the statistics the Big3 have set, that's the one I just can't see being surpassed.

Yes. Super achievement. I just think it’s winning same event many times. Nole has 9 Australians.

It’s the insane consistency of getting to 10 consecutive slams finals that trumps anything for me. 2.5 years straight of making all finals..

18/19 finals made between 2005 Wimbledon and 2010 Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

No 23 on the board for Novak.

Strong favourite to get no 24 at Wimbledon

Novak Djokovic

4/6

Carlos Alcaraz

5/1

Daniil Medvedev

6/1

Jannik Sinner

10/1

Matteo Berrettini

14/1

Nick Kyrgios

14/1

Taylor Fritz

22/1

Stefanos Tsitsipas

22/1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

Having Tom Brady, Mbappe and Ibrahimovic come along to watch you get your 23rd has to be up there on the achievement list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,665 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All I have to say is that I find it funny that an anti-vaxxer has no problem with peds.

These three guys have lasted at the top level way too long for it to have been done clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

At least you're not discriminating against any of the 3 and accusing all three equally, which is fair. I think the main reason of their longevity is that they are clearly 3 great players, but, the following generations have proven to be exceptionally poor; Alcaraz looks to be the first genuine challenger to emerge and he is about 15 years younger than Djokovic, in the past, every 7/8 years there was a new generation of players dominating. There hasn't even been a player after Djokovic and before Alcaraz who would be of a similar level to the likes of Wawrinka in his prime. Even now if Federer and Nadal were somehow able to get back to the required fitness level, they would be Djokovic's main challengers, Nadal winning last years AO is proof of this.

Djokovic is not playing as well as he was in his prime, but, be doesn't have to, he will continue to win slams until his body let's him down as the opposition apart from possibly Alcaraz are extremely poor.

Quoting this to preserve it in case you decide to remove it in the cold light of day 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

.q

Post edited by Jack Daw on

Although people lament the end of Federer and Nadal, I think we're still in for a couple of very interesting years where Djokovic will be competing directly with the pretender to his throne. In the same way that Federer and Nadal eked out a few more slams each at the end of their careers and set a tougher target for Djokovic to surpass, Djokovic now has to do the same with Alcaraz. At the time Federer and Nadal were trying to fend off Djokovic, he was in their rear view mirrors, blowing the horn and flashing the lights trying to overtake. So there was a lot of intensity in what was obviously a 3 way race at the time. Alcaraz has only just joined the motorway and isn't even in sight yet. But if he can maintain his current speed, he'll overtake Djokovic unless Djokovic can get further up the road and set him a night impossible target. Alcaraz is running at high revs and his physique/game doesn't seem as geared towards longevity as the more wiry Djokovic or the effortlessly fluid style of Federer. I suspect that he'll be more prone to injuries and will need to reinvent his game if wants to play deep into his thirties like the big 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A lot depends on the quality of the opposition Alcaraz will face in his career. At the moment he's a long way off, until he gets into double figures I wouldn't even consider him yet. If the standard of player coming through remains similar to the last 10 years, then he has a great chance to rack up the numbers, as outside of Djokovic there really isn't any great threats there and Djokovic is already in decline (still too good for the opposition). So Alcaraz if he really is the real deal has no excuse not to get the numbers as it looks like he will have a clear road once Djokovic departs, which will happen in the next few years. Would like to see Alcaraz overcome Djokovic before Djokovic departs, rather than taking over when Djokovic is gone.

Level with Margaret Court now. And will be #1 again later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

What figure will Djokovic get to?

28 is my guess.

27 Slams, 102 atp titles, 414 weeks @#1

All three have serious question marks hanging over them.

Usain Bolt was the fastest man on earth by some distance but his speed started to wane by the time he reached 28. If you look at the sprinters who went into the mid-thirties they had all been banned for drug use at some stage. So here we have a 36 year old man who hasn't lost his speed. How does that happen?

Totally different physionomy between tennis players and 100/200m sprinters. Also he is slower now at 36; 2015 Djockovic would beat the 2023 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Why did his speed start to wane at 28? His 3 Jamaican teammates, Powell, Blake and Carter were all banned. So I wouldn't be using him as a benchmark for normal, clean athletes because he has plenty of his own question marks.

He smashed records as a boy all the way through the ranks. People were talking about him with excitement when he was 12 years old.

What made him so good was that he had the same movement and elasticity in his body as guys 10 inches smaller than him which is extremely unusual and drugs can't do that. He didn't need drugs to be that good.

And all those athletes you mentioned along with Linford Christie, Justin Gatlin and others still had speed in their early thirties whereas known clean athletes like Obabele Thompson and Ato Bolden were done at world level by thirty just like Usain Bolt.

Your reactions and speed start to decline in your late twenties.

Mistake

Comparing tennis players to sprinters is beyond stupid here. 10 seconds of sprinting hard. That is it. Tennis matches have far more to consider: Roger and Nole and Rafa are all just exceptionally brilliant tennis players. None of them have ever tested positive for PEDs. Why? Because there was never illegal PEDs taken

Nole at 36 is absolutely not as good/strong as we was at 30, for example. It’s just that he is still good enough to be at and near the top against not so great opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the debate is over.

i was a Nadal guy. loved how he stopped Federer from being the only guy on a certain level, and then ultimately beat him at Wimbledon. once that Wimbledon victory happened, I was in his corner.

but by any reasonable objective metric, Novak is the best to ever do it. and I would honestly go as far to say he is the greatest athlete the world has ever seen.

i've no doubt he'll get to at least 28. it wouldn't surprise me one jot if he got to 30.

we'll genuinely never see anything like the man again IMO.

Well I just can't accept what he is doing at his age.

You start to lose speed at 30 at the latest, he's 36 and shows no signs of slowing down.

When you look at those three, Federer had 16 slams before he hit thirty, Nadal had 14 and Djokovic had 12. How can you possibly be just as consistent after thirty?

Oh and Usain Bolt is the greatest athlete the world has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Tennis is largely a skill based sport, sprinting isn't. You can't really improve in sprinting if you haven't the raw athleticism that you are born with.Hard work and tactical nous can get you a lot further in tennis than it can in a sport like athletics .Therefore comparing age of decline between the 2 is not relevant at all. Djokovic can compensate for any physical flaws he may have at this age by being technically and tactically proficient, you can't do that in sprinting.We saw this on Sunday when his net play was incredible which is an area he was weak at in the past, he's also massively improved his serve over the past 5 years or so.

Djokovic before 30 had a tougher competition , perhaps if his before 30 competition was the same as it is now he would have won closer to 20 grand slams before 30 and therefore his supposed same level of performance after 30 wouldn't be the case at all.

Also it is ridiculous that you imply Djokovic is doping and then unfavorably compare him with Bolt who's team mates have all been done for doping.Pick a better comparison if you are going to go down that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Djokovic is the GOAT, zero debate left. And the testing in Jamaica was basically non existent so huge question marks over Bolt.

Djokoic was prepared to to forego a couple of grand slams and other major tournaments so as not to have to put any foreign substance in his body. Most people don't agree with his personal no-vac stance, but he's been completely consistent about it. It doesn't seem likely to me that he'd then choose to take performance enhancers.

• Advertisement

The other thing that wanes after thirty is reaction time.

Saying speed isn't critical to tennis is laughable.

As for Usain, I explained that a couple of posts before. If you need more, he was winning under 17 titles and setting records at 15 years of age.

Guilt by association is a ridiculous train of though.

Is a serial killers wife a murderer too? Is an alcoholics brother also a big drinker?

Advertisement