Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEDERER v NADAL V DJOKOVIC (etc) - MOD NOTE 1ST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lmfao, the fact it has Borg behind Connors and McEnroe means it's a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s not just slams! Connors statistically is a beast! Not Mac or Connors’ fault that Borg called it a day mid 20s

It doesn't matter, he's miles ahead of those two. Any chart that Borg has behind anybody from the mid 70's to early 80's is a joke.

And if it's based on more than slams then Connors should be one, Federer two and Lendl three.

As I said it's a complete joke.

God forbid for taking a full career into account as a methodology!

what sort of outlandish method is that to attempt a ranking?

In no way should Connors who won 45 more tennis titles (70% more) than Borg ever be considered ahead of him!

• Advertisement

it's based on an objective entire career assessment over multiple various pertinent objective achievements such as performance in slams, ATP finals. masters series titles, other titles and High ATP rankings (Top 5 or above only)

every achievement for every year counts.

but a player only gets points for doing something notable - not just for being a player in a particular year.

this is clearly seen by clicking on the number of total points.

Borg retired at 26 - that's his fault and it would be nonsensical not to encompass full career achievement for every player so as to be considered a rational objective measure.

Explain to me how somebody with 21 more titles is behind somebody else. When you've done that then tell me how a player with 103 wins including 20 grand slams is behind a guy with 88 wins and 21 grand slams? How does that make any sense?

There are points awarded equally to all based off criteria. It’s criteria, not criterion. So there are several areas looked at: Slams is weighted heaviest, yes, but there are other criteria. I think Jimmy, for example has 8 slams. Borg 10-11 slams. But Jimmy has way way more tennis titles, and this elevates him higher

Post edited by walshb on

“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others”

Different weightings are attached to various titles and achievements.

Behind all the headline numbers are mathematical calculations describe here

https://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/glossary

Whilst one may not agree with the weightings given to the various career achievements/titles, it is completely logical.

Everyone is welcome to come up with their own calculation system and most already have, but have simplified it to an individual metric, eg. #GS titles or most visually attractive tennis.

• Advertisement

Borg was a better player than Connors. Borg leads 15–8 in their official head-to-head, 8–5 in finals, 5–3 in Grand Slams.

End of.

It's not logical, head to heads are important. Borg wins over Connors,

The big three is different. Nadal leads both in grand slam matches but Djokovic leads Nadal in final wins by two but loses in grand slams by four.

Nadal leads Federer in almost all categories as does Djokovic but the math there will favour the younger players which is unfair.

Connors ahead of Borg is ridiculous, Connors ahead of Sampras is ridiculous.

I'll finish with a famous statement attributed to Benjamin Disraeli. 'Theres lies, damned lies and statistics'.

Basically your three options with a weak argument.

Post edited by eagle eye on

I think Borg is a better player, too. Your issue seems to be in attacking the stats and logic and criteria being used to provide this list

I think Roger is a better tennis player than Nole and Nadal, but if we just use, GS wins and head to head, he clearly is not.

There is no exact way to say who is the best, hence this tool was created to try come up with some "version" of who the best is

The criterial applies to all the players equally. In terms of Borg and Connors, I see no real issue with Connors coming out on top here based off the criteria.

You are being over-critical of the criteria

It's clearly flawed. When you see Connors ahead of Sampras and Borg it shows how flawed it is.

And just to clarify, Jimmy Connors is one of my favourite players of all time. I loved watching him play, never say die attitude and an entertainer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's virtually impossible to compare players from different eras, training, equipment, courts, sports science, even travel and the importance of some tournaments have changed over time. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer can be compared more easily as most of their careers overlapped and have played each other multiple times, with only a year between Djokovic and Nadal they can be compared directly, with Federer 5/6 years older he was always at a slightly different stage of his career which benefited him in the early part of his career but, was a disadvantage later in his career.

Also the strength of the rest of the field needs to be compared as it does vary over time. Djokovic, Nadal & Federer because their careers overlapped actually suffer under the criteria used as they would have taken titles off each other at various times in their respective careers, others on the list didn't face that level of opposition.

Aesthetically speaking, Connors probably the ugliest tennis player ever....his tennis I mean.

If we could add this criteria then Roger clearly number 1. No players has ever played the game as aesthetically pretty as Roger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Whatever about Rod Laver, who a lot consider the greatest, Ken Rosewall doesn't really get a mention. Laver missed a possible 20 slams in his 5 years missing from the tour. He actually won 11 singles slams. Rosewall missed 40+ slams in his 11 year absence! He won 8, 4 before and 4 after and was losing finalist at Wimbledon 4 times - 2 before and 2 after. Strangely enough, both small in stature at 5'7" and 5'8". Rosewall was a natural left hander before he converted to right hand. It astonishing to think how many either of these could have won if the tour hadn't fractured.

My favourite will always be Roger because of the way he plays the game. As an ND fan friend of mine said - Fed makes the impossible possible. ND makes the difficult look easy. I can't put Nadal as GOAT for the simple reason his slams have come on so many slow courts. Take RG and the US out, and it's a poor return. Without doubt best clay court and slow court player, but didn't collect too many US/AO/Wimbledon when the courts were fast.

For sheer ability, Borg was exceptional. 5 in a row at ultra fast Wimbledon for a baseliner and 6 ultra slow RG was an amazing feat. Surprised he couldn't win a US, and he had no real interest in Oz. They talk a lot about Borg retiring at 26, but one thing you don't hear too often is that Mac won his last slam at 25.

What would Rosewall, Laver, Borg, Mac, Connors, Agassi and Pete have done with the technology, fitness levels etc that the modern players have had access to?

Same argument with most sports really, Pele v Maradonna v Cryff v Messi in soccer. Same with basketball, Golf, boxing - all eternal arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,837 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Federer won a lot of easy titles earlier in his career, there was no one to challenge, same as when Sampras came on the scene and had to face the likes of McEnroe and Becker at Wimbledon with their wooden rackets, they never faced anything like that speed and power, it was a new breed.

But later in Federer's career when he was older it was more difficult for him than anybody in history to win titles. So you take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

You cannot just point to one side of his career and not the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think this topic gets flogged to death. Speaking of Gasquet on another thread, I think it would be interesting it down to certain shots and strengths of the game.

For example. The best server ever. Sampras. Not the hardest ever but hardest to read and from nowhere, a bullet rocks by you. Speed the courts up and near impossible to beat him when serve firing. Gunslinger-esque. The combination of a seemingly lax disguise, to a short sudden burst made it near impossible to read.

Backhand. Obviously Gasquet . Seen people before say a few others had a better one, including Federer. Ye he does it naturally too, but when you really dissect it, can't hit the lines or deep into the court as consistently with his backhand, can't create the same angles or shots. On form, Gasquet could play this shot blindfolded and keep the ball on a string. His mastery of this one shot is otherworldly. He plays it purely on feel and instinct. No one can play it so naturally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,837 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You would think it would be solved with their head to head records in grand slam finals

Federer would be last I'm imagine with those rules

Yeah but Federer is five years older so towards the end of his career while the other two were in their prime he couldn't compete at the same level.

If you just went with results with Federer 32 and younger I think that'd be a fairer reflection and I've no idea if that would work in his favour.

You'd have to do the same at the other end, when Federer was already in his prime and Nadal/Djokovic hadn't yet reached theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The last few years have seen both Djokovic and Nadal pick up handy slams too, with not much opposition, look at this year's USO, none of the next gen guys are left ( Medvedev, Tsitsipas & Zverev the main opposition to Djokovic & Nadal over the last few years),Thiem also looks finished. Younger guys like Alcaraz, Sinner look to have already overtaken the next gen. The standard isn't great at the moment and hasn't been for a few years.

Is that what I replied to, me saying you have to look at both sides not just one?

Sorry, I thought you were replying to the post about using H2H records, not the one about Federer picking up easy titles earlier in his career.

The end for greatest all around player..

three matches from his career that for me were the best and most significant..

RG 2011 4 sets win v almost a peak Nole

SW19 4 sets semi final win v Rafa.

Finally, best, and I believe probably the match Roger cherishes most was GS final win v Rafa 2017 Australia. Everything about it. 5 sets, coming back from breaks in final set, getting a slam win outside of SW19 v Rafa. This match was first time I genuinely rooted against Federer, but when he won, it was the one match that I’ve never been happier that he won! He really proved and showed so much in that win. And that BH that day was greatest BH display in tennis history.

Forgot: his 5 sets win 2007 SW19 v Rafa to equal 5 in a row with Borg, and Borg there to see it!!!

Post edited by walshb on

Fed’s BH both more consistent and effortless, as well as prettier. Stan’s BH better, too. Gasquet top 5. Kuerten’s for me at number 3. Ahead of Gasquet.

I agree on Pete’s serve. Unreal.. Fed at number 2.

greatest display of serving I have ever seen was Fed’s v Roddick in 2009 SW19 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My favourite part of that AO final is in the last few games. Fed hits a pretty good shot from the baseline down the line I think, as soon as he sees it's good he immediately shifts his weight forward to start coming into the net because that's what his instincts are telling him. In a split second he then has to stop himself and stays on the baseline because he knows it's Nadal on the other side of the net and if he came in Nadal would probably just come up with some ridiculous passing shot that no other player could. It's only a slight movement and it's over in a second but it says so much about the tactical battles and h2h history they shared.

It also shows part of how he eventually adapted his game to beat Rafa. He won their last 7 meetings outside of a clay court from 2015 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think what you mean by consistent, in terms of Federer's backhand, is just he plays it safer i.e getting the ball back across the net and not that close to the lines, relative to Gasquet. Gasquet has much more variation on the shot, and can hit far deeper and closer to the lines consistently. The whip, spin and angles he can generate on the shot at will are beyond what the Federer backhand is capable off. Gasquet just has it in the flick of his wrist, and could probably play the shot blindfolded

Advertisement