Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Storage Solution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Stump up for the six bike version then rent out the extra spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Just drove up Lawrence's Road and counted 121 vehicles parked on the street. But the one bike storage is the visual eyesore on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Yes, but like I said earlier, it's not an eyesore because it's cycle storage. It's a permanent structure that requires planning permission. It doesn't matter what it's purpose is.

Comparing it to cars parked on the road is mildly ridiculous. Cars are not permanent structures, and they don't require planning permission.

You know those wooden structures for covering wheelie bins, would they need planning? They're a structure put in to house a moveable object. No reason a bike storage should be viewed differently.

I've no idea, but if they are permanent structures, them they are liable to the same rules. All it takes is someone to make the complaint.

The fact is, you can build or put a shed to the side or back of your house, but there are issues around doing it in the front garden.

A neighbour of mine has a steel shed in his front garden for a motorbike. Nobody in the estate has complained, so no action was taken, but if the planning authority were alerted to it, he would have to take steps to rectify it

• Advertisement

Similar one not that far away. Been there for years. Colour blends well with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good enough for people with rusty bikes maybe.

Fiat 127s were good enough for people for decades, so let's get rid of all cars on the road bigger than a 127.

They may have applied for planning, or maybe none of the neighbours complained.

Just to be really clear, I've no issue with front of house storage for bikes, but the planning decision to remove the one above has nothing to do with bicycles per se.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's true, it is ironic that you're allowed park your car on public property but not allowed make provision for parking your bike (in a structure) on private property.

anyway, could it be argued that it's a prefab which bolts down in the sense that a site cabin is not (presumably) considered a permanent structure?

Ridiculous that planning for many driveways was granted on Lawrence's Road, but the council won't give permission for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's still there I cycle past it regularly. There's a car with flat tires and no tax parked around the corner from me outside someone's house for about 3 years now that I've reported a few times, council have done nothing. Probably because I'm in a less salubrious area than Clontarf and they just don't care.

I don't disagree, and yes, I'm sure there's some argument that could be put forward for it. I just know that the wording of the planning rules specifically forbids structures in front of the house without permission

Someone mentioned the same bike storage that's in Marino, and has been for years. I grew up in Clontarf, lived in Marino for a number of years. Generally speaking the residents if Marino would be more down to earth when it comes to the necessity of planning permission for a bloody bike shed. In Clontarf however its imperative to have a driveway for at least 2 Crossovers/SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just in case people are under the impression that you can park cars in your front garden without planning permission, you can't, unless a sufficiently wide gate was already in place. For Protected Structures and in Architectural Conservation Areas, it's pretty rare for DCC to grant permission. As well as the visual impact, creating a new opening generally removes an on-street parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd much rather people had a driveway to park in rather than cluttering up public roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The visual impact is complete bullshit though so long as there's a car parked on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not so, particularly from a pedestrian's viewpoint.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As a pedestrian I can honestly say cars parked on the road look seriously ugly, they make a street look uninviting, cluttered and unsafe. If they are off the road you have much clearer sight lines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't remotely see how. Cluttered street of cars is ugly and detracts just as much if not more than someone in their driveway. It's no business of a pedestrian what someone's front garden looks like really either.

There's plenty of gardens onnl that stretch with non native plants too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not just that putting a driveway in requires PP - AFAIK if you change even the position of a pedestrian gate to your property, it requires PP.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people still do stuff without planning permission though. And the system allows for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Could you not buy one of those Ssangyong’s mentioned upthread and store it on road or in front garden? Easily fit 3/4 bikes in back, particularly if you take all the seats out. No planning required I guess.

On the road you'd have to pay tax and insurance on it.

And you wouldn't get permission to put a driveway in I'd think.

It would be lovely if 1 or 2 of these were installed on Lawrence's Road in Clontarf.

Report recommends expansion of ‘bike bunker’ scheme in Dublin with 300 to be deployed by 2026

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been trying to get access to a bike bunker at the top of my road in Stoneybatter for 2 years with no luck. It's such a space saver not having two bikes in a small back garden - there's an absolutely huge demand for them. Seems like a really easy win to install a load more of them about the place.

I was amazed to read they are more expensive than a resident's parking tag for motor vehicles. This country is very confusing at times.

They're more expensive to provide than an empty parking space, but the price of a parking space says more about how we value public property than it should.

Anyway, I don't know why they needed to commission Arup to tell them what they already knew? The original trial was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I got a snotty reply from the corpo lady...saying more "studies" are required. Don't rush yourself. Two years... since application...and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

From their website:

'BikeBunkers originated from a Dublin City Council BETA Project in 2015 which used the hashtag #BikeHangarBETA on social media. Here’s the report from that trial.'

2015! and here I thought I was bad waiting two years.

So 8 years ago they thought about this as an idea and it's still in a trial stage.

• Advertisement

one of the problems is that DCC are operating at something like 90% of their nominal headcount, and some departments are very short staffed so can't take on too many new projects.

and it affects departments which need engineers, as the council pay grades for them can't match private sector rates.

Advertisement