Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Storage Solution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thought our coial bunker out the back was ugly. This is a whole new level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How easy is that for a kid to use? Looks like half of it rotates. Given the price of the one from Belgium posted a few posts back, affordability is key here I'd say; between pouring foundations and the installation cost and the cost of the shed itself, you'd be in for a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this from Trimetals is cheaper than the Belgian one but is also smaller and the bikes are on top of each other (Asgard do a similar model, but I don't think they'll ship it to Ireland).

the door on the Belgian yoke was heavy enough but it had gas struts so once you lifted it the initial bit it's easy enough to open fully, a 10 year could certainly open it (whether they could then close it is another question). Anything big enough to fit a few bikes and secure enough to put out the front is going to be expensive (and probably require a solid foundation).

Cheaper option might be to put in a sheffield stand and then build a wooden shed around it; but you'll run into planning issues again if it's in front of the house and your neighbour is a jerk. You could also cover over / shed-ify your side passage if the house has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

“We live in a protected structure but I had no idea I’d need planning for a small bike store in the front garden. Apparently there had been a complaint.”

I just don't believe these statements. They knew full well they'd need planning for something like that. Being a protected structure, you would be well aware of what you can and can't do. More likely it's a case of try and get away with it, and then apply for retention if anything happens.

“We have a back lane but it’s unlit and isn’t paved, so it’s dangerous, particularly at night."

The back lane is concrete. But I fully accept that you wouldn't want to be using it at night, in the dark, by yourself.

I'd family in London who had one of those Trimetal ones in their front garden. They had sunk it a bit as well, so it was lower. They seem a lot more accepted in London.

The Clontarf house doesn't have a side passage. Just the rear lane access. But if they had a side passage they wouldn't have an issue, as they could bring the bikes safely through to the back that way.

Despite having rear access, the objecting neighbours bins don't seem to be a problem in their front garden.

• Advertisement

get a really big wheelie bin and store your bike in that - problem solved!

Lock it to the railings. Been good enough for people for decades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be curious as to how many people on this thread store their bikes outside and not under some sort of cover. in their front garden.

I don't have a front garden but do store two of mine outdoors, as I just don't have space for them indoors. They aren't covered but are under an overhang, so avoid the rain. They still get rusty in parts though. I keep the rest of my bikes at work. Which can be a pain when I want to take one out for a spin.

I'm working on a bespoke shed for them, that'll blend in, materials wise, with the rest of my house, with a sedum roof.

I put an awning on the side of the house and usually throw my road bike under there for easy access (my shed is down the bottom of the garden). It's by no means completely rainproof, but the bike is over 10 years old so I'm beyond caring about some rust on the bolts etc. My even older shopping bike just sits out the front.

Just came across this as another option (no idea of the quality) - you could plant a hedge around it to shield the neighbours' eyes from the horror of bike storage.

• Advertisement

wouldn't it be gas if the council started allowing or blocking things based purely on looks? you wouldn't be allowed park a suzuki baleno on the street or in your driveway without covering it. or a nissan tiida, or most ssanyongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I used to for a couple of years in Dublin 8, house had a back yard but no rear or side entrance so used to lock the bike to railings on private driveway and bike was beside the house in from the road/entrance. That was all well and good until one morning when leaving for work to only find by lock cut in two. Was an old Raleigh Activator bike but in great condition and suited by short commute. Not only can you not have nice things in Ireland/Dublin but you can't even have old but functional things.

Replacement bike then had to be brought through the hall and kitchen and out into the yard which was a pain especially and wet/miserable days traipsing muck through the house.

Its called planning. You can put whatever ugly structure you want at the side or back of your as long as its less than 40sq m and doesnt go too high.

There's more to planning than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

There is, but the essence of what he's saying is right. The shed is not being taken down because its for bikes. If it was a shed for motorbikes, or dogs, or storing work tools, it would be subject to the same rules.

Talk about bins and old transits aren't comparable, because they are not permanent structures

Post edited by cletus on

Plenty of people on the street have similar structures built in their front gardens. Just not for bikes, and not as visually obtrusive. They all seem to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That bike storage isn't any more ugly than most estates where people park their second or third car on the road.

There's no driveway in that picture so that road probably has cars parked on the road which is one of the worst offenders visually. Must be some serious curtain twitchers on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycled by this recently on Lawrence's Road. Doesn't look any worse than the contents of other people's driveways. Bins, skips, cars, vans, overgrown gardens.

Some residents of that road have form. They came together before to launch a legal challenge about a house for homeless people on the road.

Pretty sure I've seen a similar bike storage in Marino before, where the neighbours clearly don't have notions. If I was this resident I'd be complaining to the council about every house on the road storing their wheelie bins out front, and try to instill a bit of cop on amongst the residents and council alike.

it sounds like the local councillors are going to try to change the bye-laws to allow bike storage, in which case we should send this nosey neighbour a thank-you card from all us cyclists. If the bye-law approach doesn't work they should promise a bike bunker for this road and stick it outside the gaff of the objector.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's one on a corner house in Marino. Different style of house, so not the exact same kind of issue. It doesn't stick out as much, visually.

I think the residents were opposed to an over concentration of DCC accommodation in the area, and a lack of consultation. But definitely some NIMBYism for sure. There was a murder at a house on the street owned by government agency just a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Sorry not having that mate. DCC either allow these in gardens in the jurisdiction or they don't. There's not one rule for Clontarf and another for Marino.

Too many residents of that particular road are living on another planet, absorbed in their own bubble. If they were so concerned about the appearance of the road they wouldn't allow parking on both sides from top to bottom.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Too many residents of that particular road are living on another planet, absorbed in their own bubble. If they were so concerned about the appearance of the road they wouldn't allow parking on both sides from top to bottom.

The worst part is that it is a gorgeous road with impressive red-bricked houses coupled with the overhanging street lamps but completely ruined by the cars sandwiched end-to-end along both sides of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

English company makes these, i think they fit the red brick homes better

it'd be cheaper to buy a car than some of those!

I just mean not the same type of issue as one is a protected structure and the other isn’t. The rules regarding planning for both houses are different. There’s a reason why some some buildings are placed on the RPS and others aren’t.

You need planning for both, completely. But if both applied for the same thing in their front garden, the one in Marino would be a lot more likely to get it.

Where I live, nearby, the houses were protected but then down graded to an Architectural Conservation Area.

But there’s still conditions that need to be met for any work you want to do to your house. Not quite the same in Marino.

There’s similar to that built on the Howth road, close to the Clontarf Road end. Planting on the top.

Post edited by Effects on

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

haha how much d'you reckon? I've been looking myself and on the fence about

this or this. and of course my home isn't a red brick, standard 30s mid terraced dublin house. my only issue is the storage looking out of place due to being too modern looking.

The two bike version starts at 3.6k sterling, the six bike version at 6.7k...

• Advertisement

So the one on the Howth road:

But it seems they made the vehicle entrance without planning permission and then applied for retention. It was refused. No mention about the storage system they have at the front in the planning application though.

Advertisement