Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Love it 😂

I’ve never been a LLS watcher but I’m really looking forward to watching Patrick Kielty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That suggests it will be more lighthearted than the previous misery that was inflicted.

I'm glad the owl survived too. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say you are not alone.

I expect there will be a lot of new LLS viewers for the first few shows anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This.

The format is a dead duck. A pre recorded & edited show is the way forward. Post production does a lot of the heavy lifting and eliminates the dross. Some better writing too will enable the host to be more probing, more witty, more agile.

Hopefully no house band or cringey phone competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Wouldn’t be a fan of pre recorded tbh- then it becomes any other show- I think pre recording will kill off TLLS.

The shorter time duration (90 mins) will work in its favour - PK will have a certain pressure on him to “perform” well, over these 90 mins but really, it’s the format, the guests, the discussion the panel approach that will make or break this show.

If it’s just one book publicity interview after another it will die. I genuinely support PK and I’ll certainly be kind to him in his first 3 months but he can’t carry the full weight of responsibility on his shoulders - he needs massive support from the researchers and producer to get engaging guests who are allowed to talk- to get controversial topics going- to get debate going but without it becoming a Monday night current affairs show with audience-that’s a fine line there but it can be done -but to also put “entertainment” back into the show as it was starved of that for the last decade.

If the misery slot is retained then everyone associated with the show deserves a p45

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The house band, or at least the original one (the Camembert Quartet), was very much a Tubridy thing though, carried over from Tubridy Tonight (and were dumped quite hastily when Covid arrived). I’m not sure they’ll be retained (though the later, post-Covid band was less tied to Tubridy’s style, I think).

Not a snowballs chance the competition will be dropped, it’s a revenue generator for RTE.

I think it’s common case the run time was too long (although I expect the Toy Show will continue to run a bit longer), informally it had been already quietly shortened to an 11:10pm finish in recent times anyway - it seemed they were often struggling for material to fill a full two hour slot in recent years.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That’s probably why RT was asking every guest “And how did you feel?”, regardless of what it is they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see the new time slot revealed as 9.35-11.15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder who the show sponsor is now

I doubt it's Renault anyway. 😂

They might struggle to get a sponsor unless PK makes a success of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Won't be watching. Haven't rte on the telly anyway.

It was interesting to watch the video on first post to see tubridy in action. Is he incapable of sitting still for even a second or is it a way of grabbing attention?

Truly annoying. Glad I just can't be bothered with rte.

M

I'd say another car company or possibly Three given they must have a basket of marketing money sitting in their account since they dropped sponsoring FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

That ad with Patrick Kielty's head spinning around like the exorcist is one of the worst things I've seen.

It's actually disturbing. What were RTE thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He was on with Miriam earlier. First thing he did was mention the name of his new film.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

One of the hallmarks of the LLS under Gay Byrne was that there was no advance publicity of who the guests were or what subjects might be the topic of the evening. Exceptions might be when there was a referendum or some such matter in the news.

as a consequence, viewers tuned because they do not want to miss out, as most times, the programme was not to be missed. Of course, they did have the odd turkey.

It would good if Paddy Kiltie could get back that unmissable reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭corkie

they did have the odd turkey.

Zig & Zag & Dustin (1992) - The Late Late Toy Show | Top Ten Moments

Dustin Crashes the Party - The Late Late 50th

^^ Patrick Kielty as a guest on that one?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Agreed. Spider crawl down the audience upcoming. Maybe he'll pee on the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,198 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's called humour. Something Turgidy would never have been seen dead doing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I could easily see Tubridy having his 'owl' head spin around. He loves gimmicky stuff like that.

I wouldn't see a whole lot of humour in that ad personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danish Daddy

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think this is the end of the late late show. I believe this year's toy show will show a significant loss of viewers for the first time and that loss will get bigger year on year going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Whatever about the toy show I think the LLS will continue.

I don't see how a nation famed for story tellers, musicians, singers, poets, authors and actors can't maintain a chat show once a week.

And you could throw in a few spoofers and chancers to make up the numbers 😀

Post edited by elperello on

• Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Even BBC are covering it.

The intro music in the clip above sounds like the original from Gay Byrne's era, I Dornie why they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was thinking the toy show aspect of the LLS should be a separate charity donation show every year like BBCs Children In Need. Make it a country wide event too, not just D4/LLS presenter focussed and get loads more kids involved and loads more money raised at Christmas time. Also, more toys, the corporations could donate loads and outdo each other too, to raise even more money for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I cannot help but notice how low key everything is .... 2 days to go no guest announced .... apart from a few showing of this Patrick Kielty/owl promo not much RTE hype either ... it is as if to say RTE know they are flogging a dead horse ....

I cannot see this being anything special ... Charlie Rich and Elvis and Ray Charles are all dead ... and music is dead and buried with them as no one is following them singing anything worthwhile that RTE will promote .... it is all just Imelda May n Dermot Nepotism .... comedy is just smut .... reality TV is a pandemic that makes Covid 19 look tame ... let's face it .... the entertainment industry is dead and buried ... the Late Late Show is as pointless as a Christmas tree in July ...

I think you're being a bit overly positive there Lumphammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,198 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mad that people are saying the promo clip is 'disturbing'. They must have little enough to be worrying about in their lives ffs

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
    M

In normal times Tubridy would give the final guest list for Friday's show out after his radio show on Thursday morning, wonder will we get a list tomorrow from Maura on Nine O'Clock Show? The absence of any leaked guest during the week makes me think there will be no 'box office' guests.

Advertisement