Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options
  • 20-05-2023 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

In what is rare praise from me-I think RTE have made a great call here. Whether by accident or design, the NKM drones and the Montrosia insiders have been over looked, and the travesty that is "positive" discrimination cast to one side, in order to appoint someone who is by far the best candidate for the job, when compared against anyone else associated with said vacancy.

His first show will come after the summer hiatus in September, although he will probably appear on the final Hobbidy love-in on next Friday 26th. Many will wish him every success.

Despite a long career, Mr. Kielty may not be well known by LLS viewers, although many will at least have heard of him. A Co. Down native, while not in the first flush of youth, he is a fresh enough 52. His stand up career kicked off in Dublin in the early 90s, where he rubbed shoulders with the likes of Ardal O'Hanlon, Sean Hughes, and D'Unbelievables (Jon Kenny & Pat Shortt as they were then known). His first appearance on Gay Byrne's LLS in 1992, where he competed as a National Comedy Search finalist (along with Dylan Moran). He didn't win.

From there though, a somewhat more successful TV career began. Shows on BBC (NI) and UTV followed, and he ended up with his own production company, which spawned numerous other vehicles.

Back here, he acted as MC for the Special Olympics in 2003. Always a positive, constructive, yet searingly honest voice in regard to NI politics, the Troubles and the Peace Process, he participated in a BBC documentary in 2020 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the GFA.

He is married to the very lovely Cat Deeley and they have two young sons. On marriage, he said "Find a woman that's out of your league, and try to convince her she isn't".

He last appeared on the show a year ago. This clip in particular might illustrate the contrast between him and the guy he is replacing-check out the insincerity emanating from the left of the screen-do not adjust your set...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

haha good one - "Fenian Weather" 😂

he sounds like a cross between Seán Cavanagh & Joe Brolly - might be a Sunday Game gig in offing as well 🤣🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Best of luck to him.

Break a leg PK 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Some may not be happy with the appointment because of anti Northern sentiment just like how some didn't want Martin McGuinness as president. These people have no room to talk as your citizens have presented in UK for example Graham Norton, Terry Wogan and Angela Scanlan.

Anyway, I always knew him as a comedian with shows on local TV in the early 2000s. I think he had his own show for a while and then he dropped off the local radar seemingly moving to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

PK Tonight I think was the Friday night chat show! They had a segment called the Big Rickety Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I vaguely remember him on ITV. Funny I was a young out and about person when the comedy scene in Dublin was big so caught people like Tommy tiernan sbd Dara O’Brian when they weee starting out but don’t remember ever seeing PK. He was funny though. I think he reached saturation point at one stage though. He appeared on so many things on UTV and RTE tgst I was kind of sick of tge sight of him but delighted he’s taking over. I think he’ll be great. Glad the arsed fell out of the RTE succession plan and they had to look outside. It’s a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting that he's taking the job at 52, whereas Tubs is finishing a what, 11yr stint, at less than 50.

I too think PK was the best pick for the job. There seems to be a little bit of anti Nordie sentiment about, but we are used to that up here.

He'll improve the show initially simply by his ability. He is a more honest, genuine, sharp and witty person than Tubs could ever hope to be. He'll be able to handle all sorts of interviews, but I do think it's up to rte as much as Paddy, if this will be a success.

I wish him all the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People's reasons for not wanting McGuinness were not because he was from NI. You are aware the outgoing President at that time was also from NI?

No anti Nordie sentiment from this southerner anyway. Great to get PK and it’s not like we were falling over ourselves with options here either. He’s the best person for the job whether he comes from Navan or Newry it doesn't matter. If he’s given space to format the show and isn’t dragged down by the misery ghouls in RTE it’ll be a great addition to the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Excellent opening post as usual from the great Pelvis Parsley.....good to see him back....

I believe my days of being hugely critical of the LLS and its host on a weekly basis are now numbered.....

Patrick Kielty will be very good at this job.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Thank you sir.

If he can get RTE to work with him instead of getting in his way, he’ll be half way there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

If he can get RTE NKM to work with him instead of getting in his way, he’ll be half 80% of the way there.

fyp 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everytime I see PK, I think Pat Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He should start by handing out bans to Dermot Bannon, Vague, Daniel/Majella O’Donnell, Amy Huberman, Mario Rosenstock, Buble and Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Haven't watched the LLS in years but will certainly tune in for PK's first couple to see if the tested and tired formula can be changed. First thing Id do is scrap that god awful live band.

my only fear is I’ll lose interest when things improve, the car crash of the last 15 years was intriguing as Ryan would say 😂

Well, things have certainly moved on since this discussion started!

Johnny Carson used to do an opening monologue that got better the more it bombed-some of you may remember Brendan O'Connor trying the same thing on his own ill fated outing, but it was irretrievably awful.

PK, with his comedic background, might do a monologue himself, at least once. If he does, it will no doubt be less awful, but he might make a better fist of it than Ballsy-he will certainly have a lot to say before he starts his first interview. I don't envy him either way.

The PR machine has already kicked into gear, as underworked journos toil to make something out of nothing, as they generally do, in this particular case republishing odds on who the first guests will be.

We have;

• Jamie Dornan: 5/4
    • Liam Neeson and/or Katie Taylor: 4/1
    • Leo and/or Mary Lou: 6/1
    • Rory McIlroy: 12/1
    • McGregor: 20/1

A Kardashian (like the Burkes, they're all the same to me), MeAgain Markle, or Philip Schofield: 200/1.

He will most likely cause a glass or two to be raised in his local though.

"Kielty joked that his local pub might go bankrupt, as they are offering free shots every time the Dundrum native mentions his hometown.

'Every time Paddy Kielty mentions Dundrum on the Late Late Show, we will set a round of shots up in the bar, 18+ only,' the pub owners said, adding, 'congratulations Paddy, you’ve already made a lot of people happy and a bar manager nervous.'"

https://extra.ie/2023/07/17/entertainment/kielty-first-late-late-line-up

Tubs should be the first guest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Presenter is one aspect- they still have to fix the shows format and type of guests.

Good luck to him- I really hope his version of TLLS takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

RTE can't have much faith in Patrick if there already planning the host to take his place in 3 years.

^^^ Sorry about the source of information.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Looks like The Fella Before Louise will be starting on 15th September. Wasn't long rolling around all the same!

https://goss.ie/featured/this-is-when-the-late-late-show-will-return-with-patrick-kielty-as-the-new-host-347537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Jim Jennings, RTÉ’s Director of Content said: “Patrick Kielty is undoubtedly one of Ireland’s finest comedians, a fantastic presenter with a depth of experience, and a range of talents that will bring an exciting new dynamic to the show."

But screw that, we better start ticking boxes so we have a woman lined up to take over from him...

I'd say the strike if continuing will affect trying to get acting guests as it seems Cillian Murphy was a favourite to be on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Show to be 90 minutes long, I suppose if they kill off the misery slot that would do no harm.

Ah the same Jim Jennings who was too ill to turn up to the oireactais committee. Good to hear of tge upturn in his health woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The new logo!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

New host or not, new logo or not, I very much doubt things will change all that much. The viewers (those who actually enjoy watching it rather than the rest of us) have a certain expectation of content, tone and format.

I'd be very much neutral on Kielty anyway (as I am on all TV personalities to be fair) so no expectations that way. He can't be much worse than his predecessor though you'd think!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I hope it goes well for Patrick, he always seems like a sound lad.

He has personality and a sense of humour so he's already got the advantage over his predecessor. I just hope the show can attract better guests than it did during Tubs time.

I'll watch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy has been the lone person responsible in driving this show to the absolute depths of awful.......

He was so bad, that his actual departure has been one of the best things that has ever happened to the show......

No matter how bad Kielty is, it will be impossible for it not to be a huge improvement.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Not sure I like the logo and I hope the owl makes an appearance.

I'd like it if they returned to the "To whom it may concern, this is The Late Late Show, and here's your host, Patrick Kielty".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I certainly hope so, but I don't remember the Pat Kenny years being particularly good either, and Gay Byrne I never really watched as my mother wasn't into the Late Late and we had better options thanks to cable TV.

Presumably they'll try and go after a younger audience with Kielty but will they watch it after maybe the first 2/3 because of the inevitable hype, and will it turn off the older mainstay viewers if they change the format too much?

Advertisement