Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Hope it goes well for him.

could be a writers strike by then.

Bringing back sone audience contribution might help to make it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

examples of successful transitions from comedy to chat show host.….

Leno, Letterman, O’Brien, Ferguson….all ridiculously successful ….

id like if he came out, did a three minute comedy monologue… music… guests… music… guests etc…. Throw a comedian in with music etc…

an entertainment show just occasionally dealing with a current affairs or a more serious topic…keep it fun, fast paced…

less misery, fewer sob stories, no pearl clutching… I know it’s a tradition but nobody cares what the audience or people at home think… entertain….

caliber of guests need to improve… hopefully it might with a more talented and flexible entertainer…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I like it, crisp and modern.

Hope PK will be happy in the chair for many moons.

Any word about Barry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I can't warm to Patrick. I remember an interview with him where he identified as "Northern Irish and a wee bit British" and got the impression he was a neveau orange Catholic. Strange to hear him say that given his family history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Whatever about the direction the show takes or the guests available Kielty can only be an improvement because both Tubs and Kenny were utterly devoid of personality and were practically parodies of real humans.

Tubridy was the Irish Alan Partridge come to life and Pat Kenny was like something an alien would create in a failed attempt to infiltrate humanity. The kind of thing Kang and Kodus from The Simpsons would come up with.

Last import we had from the UK is doing a queer job in the guards 🤣

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To be fair, he has lived in London for decades now he's bound to feel a wee bit British, much like Terry Wogan and Graham Norton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Why do you have a problem with him identifying like that?

To be British one would have to be born in great Britain for a start. He was born in the UK. Ignoring that obvious problem, he is a hypocrite who is trying to identify with a state that supported the men who killed his father. He is the worst type of hypocrite who wants to run with the fox and hunt with the hound.

You are very hard on PK there.

He knows what he has lived.

Try walking in his shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I like PK and am looking forward to seeing what he does with the show.

However I also did some maths - tubridy was on 545k for 5x radio shows for 40 weeks of the year and 37x 120 min shows. PK is doing 30, 90min shows and no radio for 250k. I think when you add it up he is on over double what tubridy was on per online hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But he is at least twice as competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Problem is he is trying to walk with one foot in a jackboot and the other in a sandal. I spent my youth crossing the border on a daily basis. His identification as British is an endorsement of the actions of his British army buddies and how they treated me and my kin. There is nothing like the feeling of a squaddie, safety on pulling the trigger as you walk by and hearing the click.

There is a lot of hurt from that time and we all have to deal with our share.

PK is successful and well known but he has to find his way like us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

I expect events in Budapest this week may well influence the guest list for his debut show.

Yeah, you'd think Adeleke would be a top target, got everything going for her.

Plus, rugger WC on the horizon, maybe manager or a few players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Whatever about the athletics, I hope they don’t wheel out rigger buggers the first show out. That’s exactly the problem with RTE. If you’re stuck a. Find someone from the canteen. If you can’t find someone b. Get in a rugger bugger or GAA-head. Sick of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I had broken the habit of watching this a good while ago for the same reason I stopped listening to the host on radio. Grew to hate his saccharine style and bullshit patter.

Will give Kielty a chance and wish him luck if there is life left in the format.

But it's not just the run of the mill, let's interview Johnny Sexton randomly.

We are about to hit the rugby World Cup, with Ireland as no1 team in the world. Admittedly the players usually are quite generic when they are interviewed, so perhaps it would be good to hear an in-depth chat with the English man trying to win the WC for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Likely members of the Irish soccer team* will be on to discuss their World Cup success.

*I use the term Mens Team when referring to the mens team to avoid the recent non referral confusion in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That would be a good start. I'm sure there are plenty who would like to hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭TokTik

Pauw should, hopefully, be binned by then, so it could be a very interesting interview.

Misery slot. Ryan turbridy on to tell us about his traumatic 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Judging by this thread we should have on first night Commissioner Drew Harris talking about his efforts to modernise the police force and remind is if the new resources being put in place to protect British tourists in Temple Bar. Englisman Andy Farrell on his hopes and dreams of managing the English rugby team to glory in 2027. Ex U21 Irish Association football players Jack Grelish and Declan Rice on their transition to the English team and their thoughts on the current Irish team and in a sudden twist Irish womans football player Aoife Madden changing eligability from England to Ireland.Athlete Mark English with his review of the World championship. Funnyman and BBC favourite Brenda's O Carroll on to talk about the 4 new episodes of the British favourite Mrs Brown's Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I really like Patrick Kielty.

Recently I went down a rabbit hole in youtube looking for some old material from him and I found this golden nugget.

It was great TV with everyone messing and in my minds eye I tried to imagine Tubs and how he would deal with a larger than life Meatloaf in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If he keeps this up, he'll become a national treasure.

Advertisement