Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I saw season 3 will be based on book 4 (shadow rising).

That still leaves another 10 books to get through... So at least 8 more season? More?

Whatever its flaws I'd prefer if it wasn't cancelled midway and they do complete the story... That'd be far worse *tugs braid*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unless it's a smash hit I've generally presumed ratings for boilerplate telly is expected to taper slowly, ala film series; interest slowly dying off.

Amazon seem to lack that hit of the Stranger Things or Bridgerton tier; maybe The Boys is their biggest star, Mrs Maisel perhaps? Who knows where Wheel of Time fits into their metrics but midtier High Fantasy has always had a resting audience, albeit shallow enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think season 1 was poor even if you just look at it as an original IP and not as adaptation of a series of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What I never really understood about adaptions is why they try to change source material so much. Now, don't get me wrong, I completely understand the need for change when it comes to things that don't translate well on screen, or things that went on way too long in the book. I get why they did the whole Perrin/wife thing, for example and I know translating the waffly writing of RJ into something that can be watched is not an easy task. But to change fundamental parts of the book has never worked out.

Let's take a few of the most successful book to screen fantasy adaptions; LOTR, HP, GoT. They did extremely well because they made the books come alive. They took what was in the books and made nearly the exact sense the books gave the readers for the tv/film watchers. There was no trying to put their own spin on it (bar end of GoT), there was no trying to cut major corners or make it something it's not. There was a recognition that it is going to be the book fans that make it a success or flop, that the books are the reason there is even a demand for a screen adaption in the first place.

I didn't hate Amazon's WoT. It was meh. And being "meh" is nearly worse than being bad. At least if it was horrendous, we might have gotten another go at it at another time. Being "okay" means it will just get forgotten about and fade into nothing, with no hope of revival because it was already done, despite the potential for it to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Another disappointing aspect which may have been mentioned already (apologies, if so) is that 2 of the most enjoyable/joyous characters from the books have been introduced so far (Mat and Min). In the books , the Mat chapters were always a joy to read and provided some great comic interludes. In the show he is much more hard-bitten & cynical and feels more like a character from Eastenders. While its early days for Min in the show , she seems to have started on the same arc. I feel they have missed out on introducing some Merry&Pippin-type mischievous characters to lighten the tone of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

any updates on the next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I love the books - finished a reread/listen of them recently, but couldn't even bring myself to watch the last episode of season one.

i'lll wait til there are reviews of season 2 out before I think about going back to i. Have read their plans for season 1 go messed up with the pandemic, and they plan to 'fix' a lot of things starting with season 2... but i have no trust in them to not just go off even further in their own direction.

Did Barney Harris get the boot for refusing to get vaccinated, for COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Shame, felt he was one of the better portrayals within the show (considerably stronger than the other lads anyway)

Felt they did his arc a bit dirty in season one, it was like they wrote him off before they even finished the season. It was just odd.

• Advertisement

Cause that is what happened. Covid and him not returning forced them (apparently) to rewrite the end of the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailer, bolted onto the end of a season 1 recap;

I'm not getting hyped for this again.

No way they've improved, even if I feel this has a better chance of pivoting than Rings Of Power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think I read somewhere that it was related to him being uncomfortable doing intimate love scenes planned for his character.

Maybe the rather problematic 'relationship' he gets into, and the girls give out to him over and laugh at him about....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Maybe he just doesn't like pink

Or lace

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Keith Duffy's son Jay has joined

The first trailer for Season 2 has arrived;

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seanchan are arriving as well as the Aiel two very different and distinct groups and which will be interesting to see how they are depicted vs the books.

I think my main issue with the show and something ive always questioned about any potential discussion of it prior to it being made is how they can get anywhere close to doing it justice without cutting huge amounts of source material and potentially still failing halfway through the story they tell due to it simply getting canceled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh I'm definitely going to do a recap video when starting into season 2. Memory isn't completely gone on this but is hazy.

Is season two off to any better shakes?

It's crazy, there was so much hype for this and season 2 arrives with zero fanfare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I watched the first epside of season 2 there tonight. I love the books but the series just isn't living up to it tbh. I'll keep watching it but it just falls flat for me compared to what I was hoping for it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Picks up a good bit in episode 2.

If you haven’t read the books, you could watch the show and not get spoiled for anything in the books at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At least there was action.

Night time, very, very dark action, but apparently there was a bit of fighting there.

I find the story very hard to keep up with and the editing is a bit all over then place.

The recap at the start just emphasised how much of a clusterfcuk it is.

Hopefully season ones mess was down to world and character building and season two can be most plot driven

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

It looks that way. Some serious deviations from the books, but by episode three they started to make sense (still not sold on Moraine's situation mind you). It's a significant improvement from season 1 though.

New Mat is way more in line with Mat from the books, imo, he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Mat looks to be an improvement alright.

I thought Nynaeve's test was downe quite well, but the introduction of the Seanchan army was fairly pathetic. a handful of villagers... what was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Just finished watching S02E01 and it's worth continuing with it. Agree with previous comments here about deviation from the books but it is improving. The pace has picked up, bit more explanation of the world of WoT too which might help those who haven't read the books. Use of lighting is quite good (opening "meeting" scene is decent), individual story arcs are beginning to strengthen although the pacing still clunks in places. Looking forward to watching S02E02 this evening and hopefully there'll be more of Irish Mat!

• Advertisement

Between this, The Witcher, and Rings of Power pissing over source material and attacking core fans, after using said fans to drum up anticipation, I'll wait for the entire 2nd season to air and go from there.

Advertisement