Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think, once we reach those capacity issues, the solution isn't bendy busses, it's luas or metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

I tend to agree with blanch152 as well - B spine + 37 frequency will not be sufficient for the quays to say Navan Road

Outside of that core section it should work. And I am factoring in the 4 min upgrade and additional seats delivered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just a couple of years ago, detailed plans were drawn up for 3 BRT (bendi bus) routes. That plan was scrapped for BusConnects. That was a big mistake IMO.

Not that BusConnects shouldn’t happen, it is a far wider reaching plan that covers the whole city, rather then just 3 core corridors, but instead I would have just integrated the BRT plan into the overall BusConnects plan. Basically do both.

Another option is the Berlin style, triaxle double deckers with three doors and two stairs. They seem to be quiet high capacity. One difference I think they need if they went bendi or tri-axle is LUAS style ticketing on those core routes. Off bus ticketing and validation machines, enter and exit through any door. Needs to be a fast and frequent service.

And yes, some of these routes might even be LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well we have already reached those capacity issues. We were probably already there at the inception of BusConnects.

Luas to e.g. Blanch for example isn't realistic for many years, if ever. It would have to be an extension from Broombridge but that line south of Broadstone probably can't support the capacity required. It would also miss a whole chunk of the catchment area. Bus is the only realistic option short term for most of the communities long most of the spines and even with a new Luas line, would still require upgraded bus services regardless as buses are needed to make other journeys possible.

Metro would be overkill for most of the spines and can't be delivered fast enough in any case.

Obviously only routes which can accommodate articulated buses would get them, and even then they would require works to facilitate them. Given the scale of the infrastructure works planned under BusConnects, it wouldn’t be going too much further to facilitate articulated buses.

BusConnects was always planned to need to hire and train large numbers of new bus drivers, training them for articulated buses wouldn't be any bigger an issue than training them for double deckers.

• Advertisement

Yeah they should have kept going and delivered the 3 cross city BRT routes (would have been half the BusConnects spines anyway). They could have reorganised the bus network alongside that, adding orbital routes and the local routes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well that's not possible because BC hasn't even been delivered yet, not only that but the NTA modelling seems to suggest that those upgrades don't need to happen in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

On a side note, the loadings for the W62 seem to have gone up a lot, while the initial part of the W4 is still a bit of a ghost bus at times. I'm sure it fills up a lot but I can see the frequencies being altered sometimes in the future.

BusConnects is in response to the capacity issues that exist, as well as generally looking to improve the bus network. The NTA modelling obviously says they have to run double deckers at 4 minute frequency on at least one corridor. Articulated buses could provide the same capacity with less buses/drivers and with lower dwell times so faster journeys. The 4 minute headway will be difficult to maintain, particularly will some passengers still going to the driver when boarding, and bunching is likely.

I think several of the spines will quickly outgrow the capacity that double deckers can provide, if not already beyond it. This has already been alluded to. Higher capacity buses also requires less drivers which seriously has to be considered now given driver shortages are currently preventing the implementation of the revised network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Can be driven on an ordinary D licence as the articulated part is not fully detached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

The last few decades there was only 76a between Blanch and Liffey Valley with just a few services weekdays. This new route W4 will take at least 6 months, but realistically a year to build the knowledge of the route and to increase a number of passengers. People using cars between LV and Blach won't drop cars this quickly, only a certain percent might. Others who were to choose a place to live and work, have avoided these destinations because of no solid public transport option being offered in the past. Since it's there now, it has to build the popularity, but it will be slow. So a demand is there, just that the supply came in so late that people got their alternative modes of transport sorted or avoided at all... Cutting down on schedule would worsen the situation. The NTA didn't make a good job spreading the brochures to Blanch and LV/Lucan residents that well either. No flyers at the shopping centre information desk, no flyers at the LV bus terminal either.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There needs to be a way to walk or cycle from clondalkin in blanch, for people who are not Olympic athletes in training. A new bridge is needed that takes buses bikes and peds directly from LV to Blanch without diverting to the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

This. You need a D+E licence if the trailer detaches, although if memory isn't messing with me, some countries may have required them for artics with engines in the front part (which is a requirement that's probably gone by now). Artic handling training, if it does happen, is an internal company question rather than a nationwide licencing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I took a photo of a new bus stop marking on the Benamore Road in Newtownpark Avenue earlier this evening.

It is located at the boundary wall outside the Avoca Hockey Pitch/Hunter Theatre at Newpark Comprehensive School.

However; there is no TFI bus pole placed on it at the moment.

I wonder if this new bus stop marking is going to be used for the L25 bus route for BusConnects and also for the 7B/7D routes very soon. I would have a good feeling that the NTA are going to tell us that some of the bus stops for these routes along this road are going to be added or changed in advance before the L25 gets rolled out for service. It gives a good indication of what will happen next with this next phase of the project.

If any other person who posts here lives along the new L25 route or some of the current 75/A route. Have you seen any new bus stop markings placed on it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Castleknock/Hermitage/Luttrellstown golf clubs really get in the way of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Nutgrove Avenue there's a new stop for the S6. In UCD there's a new stop for the S4, same on Highfield Road in Rathgar. In Sandyford, there's a new stop for the S8. None of these stops have poles and signs yet, but they have a marked box for a bus stop on the road, as well as the raised bit of the footpath that you usually see at bus stops. No word yet on the supposed launch on September 24th yet, which I hope is still planned as the start date.

It's a complete nonsense to have this many golf clubs in the city. This land should be used for houses/apartment buildings, public parks, pedestrian/cycling paths. All of it could fit on a golf club land. Those clubs should be moved a bit away of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I wouldnt agree with that personally. Cities need green spaces and we can build new housing estates anywhere. Still plenty of empty/disused brownfield sites in the city and so much empty land in north country Dublin especially.

In time, it will all be built on. So lets start now, rather than ruining amenities for people that help make a city an attractive place to live in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“I wouldnt agree with that personally. Cities need green spaces”

Cities need public accessible green areas, not closed off exclusive clubs. Golf clubs in. City are a horrible waste of space, they should be either turned into housing or a fully accessible park (or mix of both).

“Can be driven on an ordinary D licence as the articulated part is not fully detached.”

Interestingly I was reading a NTA document from 2012 I think about the proposed Swiftway BRT. They didn’t say anything about licensing, but they did mention that per legislation the vehicles could only be a maximum 18 meters. They said longer 24m BRT’s would require a change to the law.

BTW I haven’t been on one, but I’ve seen the Belfast Glider 18m BRT’s and they look small. It seems their rated capacity is only 105 people, more than a regular double decker, but less from a triaxle.

Usually a normal size European length bus is a 12 metre long, tri-axle 15 metres and articulated 18 metres. BRT would only mean a type of a very regular bus route or spine of routes supported with an additional infrastructure separating from the other traffic. BRT buses can be either a standard 18 metre articulated bus, adapted to the infrastructure (e.g. higher than usual if the platforms are high), but normally would be a higher capacity double articulated over 20 metres at least. I'm surprised if BRT were to be just 18 metres as it's just a standard articulated length so nothing special, just an infrastructure. Basically any spine could be converted into separate bus lane with articulated buses where possible to do so, but I wouldn't dare to call it BRT without the very high capacity vehicles.

• Advertisement

Hate asking this, does anyone have the table of the busconnects phases and which routes they'll be containing? I can't seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Go back two pages and you'll see my guesstimate of the phasing.... posts 10145 and 10150

We really should have been designing the spines around the HESS lighTram 25;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Polar101

Blanch shopping centre is also a miserable place to take a bus to/from - it takes so long for buses to get in/out of there, especially if you have to take an unreliable or packed 39 or a 39a. They really need to build that fancy bus interchange soon.

Agree. W4 catchment area is the Southwest is much better than the Northwest. Don't know if the terminal is going yo make a big difference. I'd want to see W4 going to Ongar past the Blanch SC, similar to how it given an alternative to C1 and C2 in Lucan to Liffey Valley SC. It could ease off the pressure from the future B1 and B2.

Yes, look great, I’d guess a capacity of about 150 passengers, maybe even a bit more. Unless the legislation changed in the last 10 years (latest road traffic act?), then I’d assume they would require a change in the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there any idea yet when the pedestrian bridge at Liffey Valley will be moved to link up to the new terminus? It's a horrible interchange at the moment - 6 minutes walking at top speed for me trying to make a bus, and horrible in the bad weather. Many of those I work with won't contemplate goving up the car unless it's improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It's part of the Lucan CBC that's currently stuck within the ABP logjam of planning applications, so another 1-2 years before the planning even gets granted I'd say.

After that, I'm not sure what the phasing of the works would be for the CBCs to be honest. Realistically they could start parts of each concurrently (i.e. bridge over the N4), or they could focus on particular corridors first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

God, that's so disappointing. It's complete nonsense to advertise it as an "interchange hub" between the C Spine and the other buses with the current setup. If moving the bridge is such an ordeal, why couldn't they have just built the new bus terminus further over where the existing bridge is.

Advertisement