Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Probably the most egregious example of it is how they've handled here in the village. Halving the width of the footpath to retain 9 parking spaces. Same for the permit parking across the street by Romayo's. Also don't understand why there needs to be a Loading Bay on the street! Tesco and all of those unit's have parking right behind the shop in it's own dedicated area! (Which is where any parking for the commercial units should be going, not on the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh, I agree, but that is our system, we engage in endless public consultation, and we listen to those who shout the loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I can't fathom how the North side corridors managed to survive largely intact, with some improvements even

Most of the inner city section of the Bray CBC scheme is reminiscent to what the quays looked like post redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry I actually meant for the entire bus connects project as opposed to this particular piece.

Should’ve been clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"So essentially, this is not BRT at all despite it being marketed as such"

BusConnects really was never a BRT. The original BRT plan (three corridors) got scrapped and replaced with BusConnects. BusConnects offers a much worse solution then the original BRT plan, though in fairness to BusConnects, the advantage of it is that it covers far more of the city and far more routes then the BRT plan.

Ironically there is already some talk that BusConnects capacity won't be sufficient and that they will have to look at proper BRT (articaulted busses, etc.) on some of the routes again. I could have told them that!

"I can't fathom how the North side corridors managed to survive largely intact, with some improvements even"

Perhaps different teams or people involved in designing different corridors. Or perhaps political/management interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

At a local meeting a few years ago, organised by the local labour party, Dublin bus and NTA had made the point that normal sized buses similar to the ones used today with extra drivers would be sufficient to run the planned Blanchardstown BRT route . This was at a time that the original plans for the articulated buses for the area was not long off the printer.

Of course at the time , it was fair to say that it wasn't considered that a, they might not get all the drivers they would've needed for these buses and b, that maybe given the numbers of buggies, prams , wheelchair users as well as large numbers of passengers using the buses, maybe articulated buses would be better suited.

They have had to bring back extra VTs , out of storage , back onto the 39a route at the request of drivers. That should say a lot.

Love that they have two alternates here, pending on whether they get permission to convert Nutley Lane to on way, wasting 1000s of euro in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Of course Bus Connects isn't going to be sufficient to meet demand. I cannot think of another city of similar size and density as Dublin where the public bus network does so much of the heavy lifting in terms of passengers carried - does anyone know of a city with higher passenger numbers? Look at the quays, it is literally a great wall of Dublin busses out there most hours of the day. The city's pavements have been turned into platforms when they should be walkways. There is no substitute for metro and light rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

The existing bus park in Belfield has, I think, six separate bus stops which share routes plus parking lanes and bays for about a dozen buses which would often be full around peak times IIRC. Given the four proposed stops on the slip road outside the campus are presumably for the passing routes (Aircoach, E spine, long distance coaches), there is actually not much difference in capacity for a slight increse in routes serving the campus ... but its far better laid out than the existing yoke which was a bodge job conversion of a car park.

Wonder will the old location be retained as a lay over area and/or intermediate stops for the S routes coming through the campus? I think the university is supposed to maintain the number of parking spaces on the campus so they may need to convert it back to a car park to compensate for the loss of car parking to the new interchange.

One last thing about it, the shelter structures shown in the photo montages are a triumph of ugly over function - they're not going to provide much protection from the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The four stops I mentioned are where the current "set down only" stop for the 39A is (highlighted in red). The likes of the Aircoach, E-Spine etc will still serve the same stop as they currently do on the south on-ramp (highlighted in yellow), but this will be expanded to more easily accommodate a bus and coach at the same time:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Would the NTA need to ask for permission from UCD to retain their current bus interchange for the S routes to complement the new interchange at the flyover? If UCD have plans to allow the current bus interchange to be turned back into a car park as part of their masterplan proposals; they probably cannot really keep that interchange as normal as an overflow bus terminus for a small amount of bus routes that will serve it.

Although if say UCD still have to observe all of the buses that come in and out for the Xpresso routes at Belfield at peak times especially for the afternoon and evenings on top of all of the coach services that also come in during that time. I would say it would be a good idea to retain the current interchange to have it back as an overflow bus terminus to complement the new interchange at UCD.

Any further word on this proposed service. Surely the planned Route will start at Heuston. They'll hardly have a bus route operating completely isolated from the Dublin Bus network???

The Cabra gate excuse seems flimsy, lots of SUVs gliding through. If it were that much of an issue why not send buses out the Ashtown gate and connect with Ashtown Station. It sounds a lot like one of those things that's designed to fail unfortunately.

How crazy, I was literally just thinking about this and was trying to remember when it was supposedly starting 😂

It's supposedly starting on the 20th, but no official word of it yet so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Surely the planned Route will start at Heuston.

As far as I'm aware, and imo makes the most sense, it will copy the 46a in how that uses Parkgate Street (the small section of road behind stop 1474) to turn around and then pick up passengers at stop 7078, rather than going to Heuston. As for it to get to Heuston from Parkgate Street, the bus would have to go down the Quays and cross at the Rory O'More Bridge before heading back up to Heuston.

Unfortunate but it's a 2-3 minute walk across the Luas bridge compared to a 10 minute detour.

Could it not use the turnaround at the Ashling hotel?

That's what I thought too, but you can only turn left back towards the Quays at the junction with Parkgate Street/R109 going by how it looks on Google Maps.

Now they could make changes to the junction to allow a left turn, but I doubt that will be the case, especially for a trail route.

No you can turn right back towards the Park from the other junction on the Parkgate St side of the Luas. It is actually before the Ashling Hotel.

Ah I get you now. This turnaround right?

This is what the 46As usually use these days so it can indeed fit a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And it will directly connect with the 26 and 69 buses there, and only be a 2-3 minute walk across the river from the 145 bus and LUAS at Heuston.

Yes, that is where it should turnaround.

We can even eliminate the few remaining parking spaces.

• Advertisement

BusConnects had planned to run the O and N2 buses over the luas tracks and into Heuston, not sure if that's been fully thought out though, may need some infrastructure changes.

It still sounds pretty poor tbh, hopefully the N2 will be brought in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

The latest internal maps I saw have the S2 buses run from James's Hospital via James's Street, Thomas Street, Bridge Street and then up the Quays to Heuston. Returning via the same route. They wont share the tracks on Steevens Lane at the moment.

Well that's sort of disappointing you'd be better off getting out and walking

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Same as when they missed an opportunity to figure out a way for the 123 to turn right from top of O'Connell St via the Luas track to Parnell St eastbound.

I guess when it looks complicated, shure the people on the bus probably arent in a rush anyway, you know yourself, this roundabout way will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Just looking at the Busconnects Brayscheme.

Hatch Street will be over run with cars.

I cycle westbound on this road between Leeson street and Earlsford Terrace. Once this scheme is implemented, this road will be a continuous jam with multiple cars waiting to turn right onto Earlsford Terrace to access the Green. Coupled with cars parked right angled cars parked, the environment on this street will be deter mental.

I suspect Stephens Green South will be a prominent bus route into the city as buses will be required to be diverted from Kevin Street towards the Green and on to Dawson / Nassau Street due to the college green plaza.

I think congestion charging is going to be required between the canals in Dublin very soon. This busconnects project is more and more looking like a sticky plaster the more I see of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd be extremely surprised if congestion charges happen. Certainly not until after the next General Election

Would much rather see the total banning of through traffic in the centre and an end to these mental bus connects junctions in the city centre with motorway style slip lanes and 6 lanes of traffic. Congestion charging isn't a permanent fix. The space needs to be removed from cars and given to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A team of health experts have said to the Government that the slow rollout of BusConnects is making a negative impact on physical activity levels.

They say people taking part in 30 minutes of moderate intense activity like walking and cycling every day is good to reduce risk of heart disease and stroke. I can't say that I disagree with that argument. It is a good selling point to improve the health of the nation overtime along with the other transport projects which are in the planning system at the moment.

If I had the new frequent busconnects routes operating in my part of Dublin; it would allow me to walk around a town or village a lot more to carry out my business. As I live in an area that has some routes available that are frequent throughout the week. The frequency of most of the other current bus routes are not great to use because I have to contend with longer waiting times for each bus route.

To give another example; if I go for a walk to get to the nearest Dart station in my part of Dublin; it takes me about 30 to 40 minutes to walk from the house each way to get to the nearest Dart station without taking a bus to get to it. It's takes about double the walking time if I tried to get the Luas as well without taking the bus. If I take a bus to get to the Dart; it will be at Blackrock. If I take bus to get the Luas; the only option for me to get it would be at Sandyford.

Has BusConnects tried to make improvements in people's physical activity among the population in Dublin with all of the phases that have been rolled out to date?

I mean so much of bus connects has been replaced with additional parking, reduced footpaths and downgraded cycle lanes that a faster roll out isn't really going to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

got letter from local cllr upading on E and F spine.. supposedly to start Nov 2023 and March 2024 respectively..

Advertisement