Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Interesting to see how it would fly with the electorate.

FG now down to 19% and it would probably be least favoured by their supporters.

But, SF voters would love it, I'm guessing.

Banks are a soft target and (bad) memories of them run long. No love lost.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Timing belt

What will probably happen going forward is if ECB raise rates by 25bps they will increase deposit rates by something like 20bps and increase their margin by 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bankboucy

Will be very curious to see the deposit behaviour of the Irish consumer......at this point in the cycle it seems there's little pressure at the pillar banks to pay-up for deposits and with only a couple more hikes at an ECB level to come (with the headlines that come with that that act as a catalyst).....my bet is that the inertia of Irish consumers will be surprising.

You might be right @Timing belt a good PR & pricing strategy for BOI/AIB.... as the ECB reaches its terminal rate with a couple more hikes left to go would be to pass fairly fully through these last couple of hikes to depositors....it would a good PR if there's a high probabilty that these are indeed the last couple of hikes in the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most people forget about the effect of dirt on interest rates. Dirt is charge at 33%. For a person with 50k in the banks putting money away for a year @ 3.5% gives you 1172 euro net.

Older people will be reluctant to place money outside the country. If you need the money it's locked away.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

My parents are fairly typical, and have 100k+ on deposit.

They have never heard of Raisin, and if you suggested moving deposits to Portugese or Latvian banks, they'd think you have two heads.

They are nervous, conservative, and experience inertia.

As many others are like them, then I can say that billions of deposits are sticky, and won't move, even if paid way below ECB rates.

• Advertisement

Exactly my thoughts - the big retail depositor holders are boomers......the idea they would hand over their life savings to a FinTech in another country is just not happening.

Listen these same boomers enjoyed unprecedented increases in their homes over the last 40yrs.........that they 'transfer' some of their wealth in the form of lower interest rates on their cash savings such that new mortgage holders don't get killed on monthly payments is kind of fitting......also don't forget that interest rates and asset prices are inversely correlated.......I can make an argument that Mary and John should HAPPILY take a little less on their 100k on deposit with BOI, such that BOI can offer a 4% mortgage to someone that will help support the same Mary & John's €750k house price value over the cycle......if the idea for Mary & John is to pass as much wealth as is possible on to their kids......getting a little scalped on interest rates on savings work very well

It Doesn’t need to be fintech….

For example

if credit unions can make money from deposits and wish to grow deposits by paying depositors more than the Irish banks. Then money will flow out of the Irish banks.

All it takes is for one bank to break ranks and start paying and there will be a lot of churn as the deposit basis is no where near as sticky as being calculated using 10 years of a low interest rate environment where all funds sat in current accounts.

Credit Unions are trying to prevent deposits. They have only lend out about 30% if the money they have on deposit. I am not sure what deposit rate they get as (AFAIK anyway) they do not have access to the ECB deposit system.

At present they are starting to try to break into the mortgage lending market. They are not giving a fixed rate but more or less are guaranteeing a 4% variable rate and are not going to put it up any time soon

Slava Ukrainii

When rates were negative of course they were trying to get rid of deposits as it was costing them.

Not having direct access to a central bank is not an issue….. A lot of banks don’t have direct access to central banks and instead clear via settlement banks. For example I’m pretty sure AIB/BOI/PTSB don’t have access to the fed but instead will use one of the BIG USA banks for USD and they will get a rate a small bit lower than the fed rate so the USA bank makes money on it.

Everywhere I look in an Irish context I see excess deposits.......that can change for sure.......if in aggregate folks run down their savings in a type of precursor to a recession that could certainly occur......right now I don't see anybody particularly desperate in a domestic context for deposits but more importantly desperate for deposits married to opportunities deploy those deposits into loans/credit in a profitable prudent manner.

The pillar banks remain the intermediaries of money in the Irish system with the highest and best use of deposits - they've the scale in mortgages, personal loans, home improvement, autos etc.

The reason they arent taking price to a certain extent on loans (when they likely could) is that taking price on loans would leave them open to a rear guard action from competitors who in that context would look at the higher loan rates and say OK might be worth me paying up for deposits actually - this is getting interesting!!!

That does leave to a certain extent then fintech's that funnel the money out of the country to deposit institutions desperate for deposits and who have good high margins uses for them but not in Ireland - Latvia etc. Mary & John are not sending 100k to Latvia even if the app/website isnt in Latvia and they get told that their 100k deposit is covered by a deposit scheme. Aint happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You have to wait until near the end of each year to see if your Credit Union is going to pay any interest (dividend) for the savings you held during that year. The ones I know about were zero for the last two years. If one of them went mad and declared a dividend this December of say 5%, it still would not make sense to pile in your money in with them. In December 2024 they might declare a dividend of zero. If people are looking for certainty, Credit Unions are a bad example.

Yeah there are excess deposits everywhere in Ireland whether it’s John and Mary or funds using Irish banks to demonstrate substance. These excess deposits become more valuable as liquidity is pulled out of the financial system with rate rises and QT.

When rates were low or negative this deposit basis cost banks and but now that we are in positive territory banks can make money from deposits.

As for your point on fear of new entrants to the market if lending rates are too high. I honestly don’t see the risk there because we know the Irish market is too small for any new banks to enter and make a reasonable profit. There are too many fixed costs involved and not enough volume. That only leaves Credit lending firms who can enter on a small scale but they won’t because they don’t have a deposit book to price from and instead need to use market rates which exposes them to being undercut by the banks and put out of business.

Fintech is not the not the only way of accessing a better rate. At the end of the day if there is a room for arbitrage the market will take advantage of it either directly or indirectly.

On the topic of Fintech now that banks are making a profit watch the feeding frenzy of banks buying them and put fancy front end over their existing systems. Just look at BOI they have the worst front end out there and haven’t made any changes besides the bare minimum for the last 15 years.

Credit unions haven’t made any money for years due to negative interest rates.

But as rates rise they have the opportunity to turn return to profit and start paying dividends.

Yes but the dividend will be limited. They have about 20+ billion in deposits and 5.5 billion lend out. They have a high cost base with building often only open 1-2 days a week.

With no direct access to ECB deposit rate, BD ks probably have a 0.5-1% margin on there money. Allowing a 5-6% average rate on there lending and the probility of needing to increase there reserves after a couple of years of negative interest rates they will be lucky to be able to pay 1-2% on deposits and shares

Slava Ukrainii

That’s more than the banks are paying…it’s not great but better than putting on fixed for a year. But this moving away from the point I was making.

once people start seeing returns else where money will move very quickly unless the banks start paying deposits.

The behaviour analysis that they will have undertaken on there deposit book is based on historical low/negative rate data and there is a risk that you could see money move out at a faster than predicted as a result. The risk can be mitigated by simply passing on 75% of future rate rise to depositors. Not passing on anything is a PR disaster as it will start making headlines and people questioning is a monopoly…. Can be avoided while still increasing NIM

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Good to see some political pressure on this at long last.

David McWilliams article in yesterday's Irish Times probably focussed minds more than any customer or shareholder can.

Let's see which way banks shares go tomorrow.

Was always going to happen… next it will be people questioning if Irish banks acting as cartel with excess profits and calling for increased tax on banks or some Irish specific regulation. A PR disaster waiting to happen which could be avoided by passing on a small % of rate hikes.

Will make great sound bites as politicians take advantage of opportunity to show them sticking 2 fingers up at the rich people ripping off workers and pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

You really know which way the wind is blowing when that spineless wonder McGrath bursts onto the scene with some fighting talk

“From the government’s point of view, we expect both borrowers and savers to be treated fairly when it comes to interest rates,” he said.

A little elephant in the room. Most of the money, nearly €60 billion, on deposit with BOI is in current accounts, which I think people pay to maintain instead of getting any interest. If I am reading their Annual Report of 2022 correctly.

€m Current accounts 59,330

Demand deposits 29,511

Term deposits and other products1 9,945

That because deposit accounts pay so little it's not worth moving money into a deposit accounts

Any account with a debit card is a current account. There is a lot of people working as sole traders out there so they need a current account. As well many people only have one account so of it has a debit card it's a current account.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Of course it is we were in a low rate/negative environment for so long customer behaviour changed whereby money just sat on NIBS (I.e. current accounts)…once deposit rates and term deposit rates rise customer behaviour changes again.

why is that an issue? Because banks undertake behaviour analysis on historic data which will give a different result to what with happen.

But the main thing is that the banks don't want to attract any more deposits at present. Nor do the Credit Unions (who don't even tell people until year end that they will be getting zero per cent on their money), nor does the government in the shape of the NTMA. Politicians will make soundings, but it won't make much difference.

Banks didn’t want to attract deposits when they were being charged negative rates by the ECB as they were making a loss where they were unable to pass on the negative rates (I.e. retail deposits)

Today they are making money on customer deposits (I.e. return on use of the deposits less what interest they are paying depositors)

The bear minimum return the can get on use of deposits is the ECB rate and they are presently paying more or less zero so that is one hell of a lot of profit from deposits…..and obviously the more deposits the more profit.

Good to see the ex-Minister for Finance sanctioning the use of deposit accounts in other countries to get better returns for Irish savers.

Following a week where Bank of Ireland's technology was shown to be very poor, clearly a lot of investment is required to get their systems up to scratch.

I have a savings account with them that was transferred from KBC, currently earning 1%. The only way I can access my account is by going to a branch to ask them to transfer it. When I did that yesterday, I was given an A4 International Payments sheet to complete with a ridiculous number of sections to fill in, and was told it would be actioned within 2 working days after it was sent to a central office. What is this? The 1970s?

This account will be closed when my savings that are currently nothing have been transferred elsewhere.

I've opened accounts with Raisin, Light Year and Trade Republic and opening them and operating them is very easy if you're already at ease with on-line banking.

I certainly wouldn't be investing anything in Bank of Ireland shares.

Post edited by Rock Steady Edy on

The current Minister was on RTE Radio 1 News at One on Friday 18 August. He brought up the point which I raised about how much is in BOI current accounts. Overall in the banks the figure is €140 billion out of a total of €150 billion. He included demand accounts as opposed to term accounts in the current account definition, because of the zero interest or a very small interest rate applying. He expects that there will be some increases for savers from the banks in the coming weeks. But people need to get their money into interest bearing products if they want to get the benefit. Listen at 28 minutes 40.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/news-at-one/programmes/2023/0818/1400466-news-at-one-friday-18-august-2023/

Thanks. Good point also made about the role the NTMA has in setting state savings rates. I think these have gone up once in the last year. If these rates were higher, so too would bank savings rates.

Whatever about using paper forms for payments their IT and customer interface are one of the worst out there. Probably need to spend close on 1bn to get it up to speed…sounds like a lot but you’re talking 15 years of zero investment. So about 70m a year. Best option would be to buy some Fintech firm for 0.5bn and use that front end and spend another 0.25bn plumbing it into the existing systems.

once that is done they need to seriously look at the customer offering by sector and structure the company accordingly. For example everything feeds into branch manager who from what I have seen are only interested in retail banking and lack the ability/or just couldn’t give a sh1t about corporate banking despite it being a profitable business if run correctly.

Makes perfect sense that current accounts and deposits accounts are looked at as call money.

Deposit accounts used to be classified differently from current accounts when looking at money supply… deposit accounts got reclassified about 3 years ago as there is little difference between them and current accounts considering you can go online and move the money with a few clicks. Long gone are the days when deposit accounts had very different behaviours to current accounts and the money was considered more sticky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Just on this point. If you recall, around the time ECB rates went to ~-50bps, banks brought back in bank charges. If you do the calculations, those fees were about the same as the banks were charged by ECB on balances. And after a while, banks started charging negative interest on balances >1m.

So while you are correct they didn't pass on the negative interest charges from ECB, they actually did. They couldn't call them interest charges as there would have been a lot of capital flight if the did (public would not have accepted negative interest), so they called it fees. On average the fees covered the amounts paid to the ECB. Smaller balance holders offset larger balance holders (as fees were flat).

Advertisement