Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭bankboucy

Back of the envelope - for BOI......not a lot of duration at all.....they deserve a medal.....and never got into the AIB 10yr or Avant 30yr! mortgage market at what was 'peak' bond/fixed income bubble.....

Quick math:

Liabilities:

Retail Deposits - €97.5bn

Wholesale/Debt Deposits - €19.5bn

Assets:

€37bn - liquid CASH on deposit at the ECB!

€8.7bn - debt securities (gov/corp), marked to market, available for sale and fully hedged

€72bn in loans.....these are 'its a wonderful life' loans.....mortgages etc. Not-liquid.....as mentioned above though if not variable...they are fixed for not a terrible duration less than 5yrs on average

So ~€46bn ready to go out the door in euro paper bills at more or less a moments notice........if depositors showed up looking for money.......but why would they....its an oligopoly deposit market, most of the deposits are under 100k guarantee etc., where would you go etc etc.

Great results today- its pretty clear the pillar banks are completely transformed in terms of their ability to generate RoTE through the cycle.......better for them when rates are higher for sure such that non-bank lenders are out of the equation.....but the dynamic now is that during higher interest rate periods.....BOI and AIB can seed their mortgage book with higher yielding mortgages......and during low interest rate periods they can go toe to toe with the non-bank lenders for mortgage business......their duopoly position makes them somewhat anti-fragile now........they've got great control over their funding costs (deposits) and by extension then they can price the asset side of their business competitively but with a view to a reasonable RoTE through the cycle.

I dont expect BIRG to earn €2.2bn every year.......but I think its reasonable to assume a kind of median RoTE of 15%(as they've guided).....which would work out at about a €1.5bn run rate.....some years, like 2023, above and some years slightly below.......but think they got the toolkit now to smooth out earnings through the cycle if they continue to manage things prudently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The increases in the NIM % are huge.

Funnily enough the NIM's for BOI haven't really expanded by much........that is yet to come........as loans that were originated during ZIRP on 3yr or 5yr fixed rates begin to roll into new higher variable & fixed rate mortgage products.....obviously new loans have wider NIM's right out the gates.....but the front book is only a small part of the banks wider & much bigger back book...which are loans originated over the last decade and with a big chunk of mortgages fixed by customers in 2020/2021..... so you dont get that REAL NIM uplift happening until next year.....front book growing as proportion of total book.....and 2020 vintages customers rolling out of 3yr fixed deals into the arms of wherever mortgage rates are in 2024

The expansion in net interest income for the bank this year up until now.....is in the main coming from excess deposits that they are getting to park at ECB for 3.75% where they used to get zero or worse.......so net interest income but not technically NIM....as these aren't earning assets.....the deposits from customers are getting shuffled to the ECB not into new loans (or 'earning assets).

The most interesting aspect of BOI right now......is if higher rates persist for way longer than anyone has predicted....say out into 2025/26.......BOI has only had stage 1 in its earnings uplift (NII expansion).....we are yet to see meaningful NIM expansion but if ECB rates stuck around in this territory for much longer.....almost 70% of BOI's current mortgage book would turn over into higher rates......and assuming deposit beta stayed the same.....NIMs would really blow out......it would be wild to see BOI generate €3bn in pre-tax profits in say 2025......when in 2020 the bank could be bought for less than €3bn!

I'm seeing a rise from 1.73% to 2.96%, but I see what you mean, the big rise is in gross yield on liquid assets, from -0.23% to 2.99%.

Whereas the loan yield rose by less, just 1%.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it possible for the ECB to reduce deposit rates, while leaving their other rates alone?

Exactly......its not really a NIM story....yet......its an NII story.....rates stick around at this level for two or three more years.....and customer deposit behaviour remains the same (low deposit beta)......NIM's will blow out too.....if that happens it will be scandalous almost how much BOI will make.

I dont think so - ECB deposit rates.......are one of the main mechanisms by which the ECB is reducing inflation.......three sources of funds/spending in any economy (1) Fiscal spending (2) Credit (3) Wages........monetary policy works its disinflationary magic by trying to at the margins constrict new credit creation......having banks choose not to funnell deposits into earnings assets i.e. loans but rather put it on deposit at the ECB earning the ECB rate.....is a mechanism by which credit that otherwise would have become spending does not find its way into people hands to spend, in an inflationary manner, in the economy.

Short version the ECB deposit rate is working exactly as intended..........which is to say banks are incented to do nothing except park cash at the ECB versus lend it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭littlevillage

It's crazy isn't it? I give 50k to bank of Ireland to deposit, they happily take it from me and in return give me a kick up the arse a derisory 0.05% in interest meanwhile they deposit that 50k with the ECB and get a bit fat 3.75%

Just goes to show, you are far better off buying shares of the bank, than depositing your hard earned loot with them.

Not investment advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

All down to the poor competitive environment. The government has no incentive to intervene (at least on AIB and PTSB) as it continues to holds large %s and the more the share price increases, the sooner they can liquidate their positions.

Ulster Bank were paying 0.85% on 2 of their savings accounts when the ECB base rate was 0%. The ECB rate is now 3.5%.

As a customer, you have to maximise your own net interest income by opening the best interest bearing accounts.

Bank of Ireland's Supersaver account, ESB Family saver, PTSB 18 month term 18 deposits, Trade Republic all pay 2% and Light Year pays 2.75% (3% from tomorrow). AIB also has a 2% regular saver account but it's limited to €1000 and you have to have a current account on which you will pay fees.

The more customers move, the more incentive the incumbents have to retain their market share by increasing their rates.

And the more rates increase, the more savers have an incentive to do move.

But that has its own ramifications for mortgage rates, although it should lead to tighter margins as the last thing the banks will want is widespread mortgage defaults.

In the banks defense - when ECB rates were NEGATIVE you gave them 50k….they put it on deposit at the ECB and they lost money doing so…..and with the exception of large corporate depositors….the Irish banks just ate that loss themselves and didn’t pass it on to customers like many European banks did.

The reality of banking is you have lean years and feast years…..over a cycle you want your banks to earn in excess of their cost of capital…..RoTE of ~15% as BOI is guiding too…..is IMO a healthy banking system….you don’t really want a banking system that is living on scraps….and at the first sign of trouble they have to start burning the furniture to stay warm.

Ireland’s economic model is volatile enough without a banking system that in tough times can’t lend through downturns…..we saw what that looked liked in the 2008-2012 period.

The story of BOI’s results right now is that at the margins they are leveraging their duopoly deposit franchise and not passing on interest rates increases to savers…..but in return BOI/AIB have shown a lot of restraint around increasing their new mortgage rates when they quite clearly could…..go look at new mortgage rates in the UK/Europe….Irish mortgage borrowers are enjoying some of the lowest rates in the whole Eurozone…..this is a choice the banks are making….I won’t call it altruistic….but they are deciding to favor their mortgage customers more than their depositors…..and for a country with a housing shortage I think we should be thankful for them doing that….last thing we need is an affordability crisis around the purchase of new homes due to expensive mortgage credit making things completely unaffordable such that builders back away from supplying more.

• Advertisement

Totally agree - Irish depositors could vote with their feet...........to date it appears like they cant be arsed......and as business owner if your customers arent arsed your going to charge what you could.....the same people on Joe Duffy complaining about paltry deposit rates....are the same people who couldnt be bothered to refinance their mortgage or open a new savings account elsewhere....they want the gubberment to do something for them about it.

Were a nation of complainers.......with very few doers......and to a certain extent the deposit beta you see is a reflection of that (married to lack of competition)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think the deposit guarantee schemes have a lot to do with the inertia. The most recent financial crash is not ancient history, and there is always another one somewhere down the road. And as has been stated, if people are happy to stuff the banks to the gills with deposits getting 0.05%, then why should the bankers give them any more. They want to deter more deposit, not attract them.

Yep exactly - all the banks profits are coming from excess deposits at the ECB…..these are deposits where they can’t find descent loans to make against….there’s a real savings glut Ireland….and by extension there is little incentive to attract deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Timing belt

NIM is the net interest margin on the total banking book and not just on the loan book.

The margin on the loan book will remain more or less constant but the mix of the loan book may change so if selling more mortgages and less corporate loans the margin will change.

As for NIM blowing out you need to remember that the bank will be building up structural interest rate hedges on the deposit book to lock in rates in the event of rates falling in the future so if anything the NIM will more than likely fall in the future. Remember they entered this rate rise cycle with more or less no hedges due to the low interest rate environment being around for so long so were able to take full advantage of rate rises.

The ECB deposit rate is there to set a target/floor for interest rates and its purpose in fighting inflation is not to make banks just park excess liquidity there. The banks need to look at the composition of their deposits and that determines how much is deposited with ECB and how much HQLA (gov bonds) the hold. The ECB raising rates should results in less demand for loans (which is less money creation) and at the same time result in more loans being repaid due to the increased cost (where there is capacity to repay. This is the destruction of money)….net result less money in the economy. (Assuming governments don’t mess it all up with giveaway budgets)

The biggest problem the banks and regulators have at the moment is understanding the behaviour of the deposit book because traditional behavioural analysis is more or less meaningless because the deposit book is more or less all on call and the stickiness of the book is very unpredictable. E.g. it only takes one bank to offer better rates and you could see a large outflow of deposits.

Not all excess liquidity is parked with the ECB. A large portion will be in high quality liquid assets (HQLA) where they are normally able to get a better rate (than the central bank deposit rate/target)by going further out the curve. When I say normally I mean where a normal yield curve exits. (Not the inverted yield curve we have at present which predicts lower rates in the future)

NIM doesn't capture everything...if you deem deposits to part of the 'banking book' which i do.......NIM relates to the margin between earning assets i.e loans and/or debt securities portfolio against the funding cost of the deposits used to make those loans or buy that government paper.......it captures the spread/margin aspect of a bank.....it captures alot but not everything.....and in the case of BOI/AIB specifically it doesnt capture the MARGIN these banks are making on excess deposits that now sit at the ECB.....because they aren't considered earning assets in this instance and for the purposes of a NIM calculation

NII captures the totality of interest being captured......i.e. excess deposits that havent been deployed into earnings assets.

Irish banks have excess deposits vs.loan/securiy book.... that they (wisely) in the past decided not to take interest rate risk with at all by deploying into NIM related 'earning assets'......versus say a First Republic or SVB who when presented with excess deposits and not enough loan opportunities decided to take what turned out to be outrageous interest rate risk by buying low yielding long duration sovereign paper or MBS's with the deposit windfall they were presented with.....over indexing to a particualr rate enviroment.

AIB/BOI had similar deposoit windfall post KBC & Ulster departure......and they had the discipline not to get too cute with the influx.

BOI's NIM has only expanded about 1%.......as its earnings assets.....loans/securties portfolio.......have different vintages many originated in the past.....it will take time for newer higher rate loans to become a larger proportion of the total book........and for the existing book (3yr/5yr mortgages) to roll-off into higher rates.

Your spot on that the roll off of some of these loans wont be as uplifting as they could be......because wisely again......BOI has decided to hedge their loan book

Agree on mechanism of ECB....getting banks to deposit cash at ECB is not the method by which they cool the economy by constricting credit......raising the price of money (interest rates) & by extension the opportunity cost of all incremental activity is the way it gets done

Yeah what I meant was that, in the main, if you look at the composition of the earnings uplift across AIB and BOI ....lets call them windfall profits... the vast majority have come from the excess liquidity parked at ECB which used to earn zero but now collects 3.75%....to date only marginal earnings uplift has come from 'earning assets'...............which is really just a vintage phenomenon.......BOI is now willing to give away (via a hedging program) some of the future uplift to come from the rollover of the loan book into a higher rate enviorment

My understanding of NIM was that it was a simple calculation of NII divided by Assets (mainly loans and the liquidity Asset Buffer (LAB). The LAB includes both gov securities, MBS etc and central bank deposits (which are are all earnings assets)

BOI didn’t invest in gov securities or MBS like US regional banks not because they were ‘Wiser’ but because they were required to keep to keep x amount of excess liquidity with the central bank due to the nature/behaviour of the underlying deposits as per the regulations in CRDIV. On top of this the ECB don’t use interest corridors anymore so there is less incentive to place funds elsewhere unlike the USA banking system.

Normally As Assets rollover to higher rates margins shouldn’t increase because the funding cost should also increase and he Margins more or less remain the same. As Irish banks are not paying for deposits (or paying very little to depositors) the underlying funding cost is remaining low and enabling the banks to not pass on all rate hikes on their lending.

This won’t continue forever as depositors will eventually start moving deposits. The big risk is that traditional banks used to rely on behaviour analysis but I fear that this won’t be reliable because a depositors behaviour in a low rate environment is very different to rising rates environment and I would not be one bit surprised if regulators implemented adjustments to the behavioural analysis and LCR calculations.

At the end of the day Irish banks are small and despite lack of competition if the European banks require funding we could easily see deposits move away from Irish banks at a very quick pace.

Nope my understanding is the NIM calculations provided by BOI excludes these central bank deposits...its a kind of measure for investors which speaks to the activity a bank should be doing with their shareholder equity & the deposits they collect.....is lending it out....broadly a banks business model shouldn't be collecting a spread between retail deposit rates & central bank rates.....NIM therefore is designed to capture the spread between deposit funding costs and the opportunity to deploy those funds into hopefully prudent lending activity (& some fixed income)......you can hear the analysts on the recent BOI H1 call kick this dynamic around with the CFO. NII vs. NIM

They are clearly seeing NII expansion as kind of one time profit windfall.......and chiefly concerned around what NIM's might look like in the future.....based on deposit beta behaviour & then loan book seasoning ( + interest rate hedges) and new lending.

On BOI's balance sheet management.....definitely some regulatory constraints there....but look at their behaviour during ZIRP.....they never got into the 10yr fixed rate or longer mortgage biz.....focusing the sales funnel on 3yr & 5yr duration products..while others (AIB) ventured into the 10yr territory & Avant with 30yr stuff.........this was wise and ensure they b/s didnt become over levered to a certain rate environment....they now have a sizeable chunk of the loan book rolling into higher rates each....think they said 70% in the next three years will reset into prevailing rates.

Finally on the deposit behaviour........it will be something to watch very closely.......but my gut feel on it is that the Irish retail saver has a lot of I dunno cultural inertia switching financial services provider......look at the years and years of opportunity & incentive for folks to refi their mortgages......and how little relative switching their was in the market. The retail deposits are OK I think.

I'd need to look at the composition of corporate deposits at AIB and BOI from US FDI clients and how sizeable they are.....these strike me as deposits that in a non-ZIRP world could find themselves called away to European peers offering a better spread for corporate treasurers......when this money moves it moves in sizeable and consequential chunks.

Have a look at the average balance sheet In the interim statements and it is quite clear that central bank deposits are included in the NIM calculation.

The 34 yards of loan and advances to banks will be 99% placements with central banks.

• Advertisement

Got ya @Timing belt - possibly mis-heard some of the analyst chatter on the call......maybe what they were getting at, which is true, is that all the NII uplift to date has really occurred on the excess deposit book via ECB rate uplift........that the wholesale loan book is yet to really roll over in any meaningful fashion into spot rates.....depending on deposit beta behaviour....NII & NIM (minus hedges) could expand meaningfully over the next couple of years as loan book rates reset......maybe BOI will need to pay up to keep depositors in which case lots of that margin uplift might get lost......but it's possible that they won't and in that case.....the NIM expansion has a potential 2nd leg to it all centered around deposit behaviour.

I assume when you refer to wholesale loan book you are taking about Liquidity assets portfolio (LAP) which will consist of government debt, MBS etc. if that is the case I don’t see a a NIM expansion because nearly all government debt has an inverted yield curve where by rates further out the curve are lower than the short dated debt.

The only way that BOI could have a NIM expansion is if they increase the margin on their loan book which they have scope to do especially in the mortgage market. But that doesn’t look like their strategic goal at present. Their focus is on lending as much as possible even at reduced margins because the returns are better than central bank placements or gov debt. BOI are in a position to do this because they are not paying for deposits.

The analyst concerns and questions are on what happens if they need to pay for deposits and will NIM drop. Because most of the lending is fixed and the fact that they are passing on rates on variable rate lending (tracker and SVR mortgages) the NIM shouldn’t be impacted. If they were selling variable rate mortgages at reduced margin then NIM would be impacted. The analyst main focus will be on customer lending and if for some reason this was to slow down, or the quality of lending decreased in an effort to lend more then share price will fall. At the moment this isn’t an issue but they will be keeping a close eye on it.

In my opinion The UK book is where they have most vulnerability at the moment and once UK banks start reporting lower profits due to increased wage bills, greater defaults etc. Then Irish banks share prices will be dragged down by association.

Yes loan book.

New lending has opportunities for NIM expansion of course (at the margins)....and they are showing restraint on this.....like AIB...resulting in Ireland now having amongst the lowest mortgage rates in Europe...which da papers dont like to talk about....much preferring the low rate on savings headlines.

My main investment thesis on AIB & BOI are they are newly minted (reminted?) oligopolists......and they are being restrained & careful in not exposing it too clearly......lest the government step in and regulate them further.......likewise show too juicy RoTE and you attract the attention of institutions on the continent for (a) your deposit base and/or (b) your mortgage market. AIB/BOI should have learned the lesson of this hopefully from 2004-2007 period.

In terms of analyst concern for whether they need to start paying for deposits & its effect on NIMs...lets see the big question is what control they have over pricing deposits and mortgages....mortgages IMO is a closed case, deposits lets see....upward funding cost surprises (if they occur) are to a certain extent mitigated by the duration in the mortgage loan book....this isn't a 15yr/30yr book.....its a 3yr/5yr book....now they've publicly said 70% of the loan book doesn't roll until 2025 or later........but the reality is then 30% is indeed rolling in the next 18 months into higher rate products that even needed could be adjusted higher to protect NIM... not huge jumps as of today up but large enough...that is not insignificant.....giving scope to protect or expand NIMs if they wish. Lots of that upside has been given up on the structural hedges too....so they've capped the upside to a certain extent and mitigated the downside with hedges on interest rates. Analysts concern, when you think about maintingi RoTE through the cycle, then is indeed the Irish deposit market behaviour moving forward and then obviously Irish macro The reality of competition in the irish market is that AIB & BOI are price setters IMO....thats my theory........for deposits and for mortgages......so lets see how competition evolves and say how PTSB decides to act at the margins as the third force.

NIM has already expanded, from 1.73% to 2.96%.

Yes 1st leg of NIM expansion was pretty much all uplift from excess deposits at ECB getting an interest rate carry....it wasn't driven by loan book margins expanding (despite headlines about BOI raising their mortgage rate on new mortgages)

The question remains where do NIMs go from here - expand, contract or be sustained. What's the second act here.

The big question is around future deposit behaviour...(with banks of course there is the wider question of macro + ECB rates but thats not BOI specific or Irish banking specefic)...but put another way what is BOI's funding costs moving forward. If they remain where they are today and the loan book naturally rolls into a higher rate mortgage environment NIM's will expand again....not perhaps as violent a move as occurred in H1 2023.

The valuation question is if this type of NIM can be sustained and so BOI has a sustainable business model that can provide a RoTE of 15% through the cycle.....whats its worth......it certainly shouldn't be trading at a discount to book if that's the case P/TBV of 1.2 or even 1.3 would be more appropriate....that's quite an uplift from here.

"Italy has approved a one-off 40% tax on profits banks reap from higher interest rates and it plans to use proceeds to help mortgage holders, in a move that sent banking shares plunging.

Sharply higher official interest rates have yielded record profits for banks, as lenders were able to hike the cost of loans while holding off paying more on deposits.

Countries such as Spain and Hungary have already imposed windfall taxes on the sector.

Only for 2023, Italy will tax 40% of banks' net interest margin, a measure of income banks derive from the gap between lending and deposit rates."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Yep, - 3% drop in BOI & AIB shares (strangely PTSB unaffected). I wonder whats the likelihood of such a tax in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement

Given that we already have a Bank Levy, and that it is under review at the moment, I don't third a third tax on bank profits will be introduced.

Advertisement