Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I don't believe they are a force to be reckoned with, pun intended. Travellers, crime gangs and feral scumbags have absolutely zero fear of the Gardai. I don't believe the Gardai keep the ordinary citizens of this country safe.

Now its not all their fault, its a result of useless leadership and government. Just look at the fact that the Garda Commissioner has lost the faith of his force as proof. But in plenty of other countries I've seen a public police presence that you wouldn't dare put a toe out of line in front of them. Here it is not the same. Our police wouldnt strike fear into you, they don't carry any presence, they just look like security guards in a supermarket.

I'd be more fearful or respectful of the security guys on the Luas than a Garda being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Where is there an example of the kind policing that would solve Dublin's street crime problems and be acceptable to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

NO , not everyone in Ireland call women Gardaí banners . I had never heard that term till this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Where it happened is shocking, not exactly the quietest part of Temple Bar either. Plenty of footfall. Seems they were offered drugs first then attacked. A knife also produced. To go after 4 guys is quite the effort aswell.

This is as brazen as it gets.

The Central Bank Plaza would actually be an ideal location for a Garda Kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's needed is a complete overhaul of policing in the city and of the justice system. Neither are working.

I'd also like to see financial penalties taken from welfare.

It's offensive to me that we pay these thugs to keep them from destitution and this is how they treat society with basically zero consequences. If they are dependents on parents, take it from the parents.

We need radical changes across the board.

We are way too lenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does McEntee still believe Dublin is safe, she is delusional needs to go

The Irish justice system is a joke, it needs to be stricter especially on reoffenders and reopen St. Pats Institute for the young minor toerags plus retire Martin Nolan

I think every city has good parts and no go areas, some parts of Cork city I am scared of even in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Very true. Mcentee is not up to it. Useless.

Get rid and bring in a minister/party that is actually concerned about crime.

It isnt a big job to clamp down on the tiny minority causing problems. Where there's a will, there's a way.

In the meantime, I cant blame people for boycotting the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The IT will surely be able to explain how this latest attack was as a direct result of the blatant misogynistic insults directed towards Minister McEntee. Our brave Minister will not be deterred from protecting the "most vulnerable in society", or from further increasing the gardai protection for politicians. Apparently she has valiantly offered to do another walkabout in Dublin city centre - complete with necklace - if she's accompanied by 160 armed gardai ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

what difference does that make? its punishment that needs to be handed down.

The US tourist attack was metres away from a large garda station. Makes no difference.

The guards are catching these people but nothing happens to them.

I can see the day when the public sue the judiciary for letting multiple offenders away with violent crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Most other countries in Europe have a zero tolerance attitude to junkies and scumbags hassling, hustling and attacking people in the cities streets.

In most of Europe, the cops carry guns and tasers for their protection and the publics protection. They take zero crap from anyone.

As well as that, there are nearly double the Police resources allocated to deal with anti social behaviour in for example, Warsaw, Munich and Vienna.

What gives with this s***hole we call Dublin? We need better. We can afford better.

We have gobshites all the way to the top in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Some ignorant morons in this thread seem to think that Dublin can be policed by scrawny Gardai armed with a whistle and a truncheon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Or tubby guards (god knows how they passed fitness tests!), or 5 foot nothing female guards, getting pushed around by scummers towering a foot or more over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

I had mandatory military service for 12 months. When you finish secondary school you go to military or go to college, if you go to college, once you finish it, you go to military for a year. It was pretty good I'd say. You are in military base for first 4 weeks of basic training, read: torture physically and psychologically. You are not allowed out or see or talk to anyone outside the base. They usually break your soul in first 4 weeks, but then you are well behaved for the rest 48. No waking up at 6am, waking up is @4, you are out in shorts and T-shirt @4:15 for morning workout, shorts and T-shirt are regardless of the temperature, I remember us being out @-15 Celsius no problem. You go to bed @22:00, and they would regularly wake you up during the night for drills. You are allowed out every 4-5 weeks for the weekend. First 6 months are hell, last 6 months mostly education, but at that stage the wildest lads are as tame as kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

There are people assaulted in every city in the world every weekend. This is not sone Dublin specific phenomenon.

We don't need a kiosk or a police station, we need armed Gardai on the streets -- boots on the ground to act as an active deterrent throughout the city.

We should start a policy of frisking people who look dodgy, to ensure they aren't carrying drugs or weapons. This can be done even if the person hasn't started a crime. If they look suspicious, the Gardai should have the power to search them on the spot. If drugs or a knife is found, they're locked up for a year.

We need to start locking people up after the first offense. No second or third chances. And when I say lock them up, I'm talking a few years for even the first offense. If that means building more prisons and training more officers, then so be it.

I'd rather invest what I pay in taxes in this rather than the stupid social welfare system that's exploited by these scumbags throughout the country.

And by the way, the absolute state of the way the Gardai look today with that new uniform, walking around like human highlighter markers or that they're about to walk kids across the road to school. It doesn't even look serious. They look a complete joke. Who decided to waste money on that crap?

The absolute state of some of them is ridiculous. It needs to be incorporated in performance reviews that keeping fit is part of the job requirement with a minimum 2 workouts a week. The body language aswell is shocking, I've seen the posture on some of them around Dublin, slouched over in oversized uniforms that are hanging off them. The new ones are awful.

I think it's time we start looking towards recruiting Eastern Europeans who seem to be better at keeping themselves in good shape.

That my be hard to hear for some but for policing effectively you need to be fit and have a presence to get some level of respect.

This thread is talking about Dublin. Away with the whataboutery nonsense trying to dilute the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, but the scrawny ones can do other tasks - so that the bigger ones can do the potentially more physical ones. Or they can still be additional backup to the bigger ones

Someone in a wheelchair could probably work on the dispatches and free up that 6'6" guard to go out on patrol. That's not suggesting that a person in a wheelchair should be expected to break up rows between drunken yobs

• Advertisement

And then you'll get the woke and the Irish council for civil liberties complaining that the wheelchair bound Garda is being discriminated against for not being allowed patrol the streets or be on the mounted Garda horse unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Some other ignorant morons seem to think that policing is about Gardai battering people in the streets.......

Those toerags that hospitalised the US tourist could do with being seriously battered up and down the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There are powers for those things and they happen every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

You won't see anything like Dublin or Cork city centers, no where near that level of begging, thuggery, anti-social behaviour and not to mention junkies, you won't see any.... Police presence is visible and they take no bullshit, if you don't behave you will pee blood for next few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The fat lads and ladies can be deployed to pen and mouse pushing roles.

But the visible police presence is needed? Despite all the people having done their military service boot camps?

Would you put the difference down to bootcamps or the presence of the police? I would put it down to the latter because a scumbag who has discipline beaten into him in one environment is likely going to revert to type when they leave those constraints.

I'm not knocking the points on discipline. But there are other ways to instill discipline such as sports. And most kids don't get up to those illegal acts so it would seem a bit overkill to send all kids off to do a years military service (in a country with a relatively tiny military) just because a few of them might be acting the bollix

As for the begging, it would appear that, let's just say, that many of those begging might not have come through an Irish system of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

It doesn’t matter what the guards do , there’s simply nowhere to put all these scum . The prisons are absolutely full and turning scum away every day , keeping them in reception for a few ours and letting them back out the door .

Unless we build more prisons we are re arranging the deck chairs and the scrotes will always be on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

I remember years ago in Prague a drunken Irish guy mouthing off at randomers in a tourist area. A local cop just strolls over, whacks him in the face with a truncheon, casually strolls away again, leaving the guy twitching on the ground. Would we really tolerate such police behaviour here?

• Advertisement

I think the common answer to that is "only until it might affect me"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement