Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Yeah B&D do great coffee - how versed are you in beans? The different processing methods? Washed, Natural etc

My advice would be to start with their Fairy Floss blend, which is a blend of Washed and Natural Ethiopian beans - it's normally a great coffee. Then have a look at their single origin. Work your way through the different offerings, compare a Washed Ethiopian to a Natural, compare South American v African beans, compare the growing elevations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m a total novice without a plan- but thanks to you I have one now- many thanks I’ll let you know how I get on

Nice one. I'll tell you how my journey went.

When I got into proper coffee I hadn't a clue what I was doing, so I asked someone to get me a year long subscription for my birthday. Each month two new bags of beans would arrive from a roaster, along with tasting notes, description of the processing method, details of where the coffee was grown and things like that.

I liked it so much, I renewed for a second year - after that I felt I knew enough about what I liked or didn't like, how to interpret the information presented on the different roasters websites, I was confident enough to start ordering for myself, based on what I like instead of relying on the roaster to choose for me, and also if I spot something that looks a bit different or something I haven't tried before I might get that along with something I know I'll like.

It's a great hobby, and my other advice would be to get used to drinking something other than coffee in other people's houses if they aren't "proper" coffee drinkers like you are about to become. Does that sound snobby? Yeah it does, but you are definitely about to become a coffee snob, so embrace it early. That also applies to coffee shops and cafes by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ha ha - funny you mention coffee snob- I was reading up on how Brazilian coffee is not rated as high amongst coffee enthusiasts compared to some African and Central American coffees - that’s why I steered away from Brazil on the B&D website but of course, I wouldn’t know the difference anyway 😀 I’ll probably buy that coffee at some stage as they’re a reputable site but thought I’d stick with African for the moment

Lovely stuff, I've found that Brazilian coffee isn't for me really, but I do go back to it if I see a Natural, or Honey Process or something like that. Brazilian and Columbian coffees, especially Washed ones, are maligned (I think) because they offer the more traditional coffee flavour profile, they aren't really "exciting" enough, if that makes sense.

I love East African coffees, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya all produce amazing coffees, I really especially love the natural process ones. Loads of weird and wonderful flavour profiles there.

Recently I've been enjoying Central and South American honey process coffees, they are a bit more expensive so not every month, but the odd time they are worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 shinywhiny

I have a Sage Bambino Plus, Sage smart grinder pro and Timemore black mirror scales. I am new to home espressos and want to start dialling in. Can anyone recommend a good bean to work with for a beginner. I drink both espresso and Americano. I also want to make a good cappuccino for when we have visitors!

Also is it true that I can only use dark roasts for that machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Here you go , very good blend for beginner

Buy 1kg bags , keep them in the freezer.

It is creamy, simple, every day bean , medium roast .

Stay away from complex ( floral/fruit) beans for now , until learn something.

Don't bother with milk until you could pull few decent espresso in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shinywhiny

I got the coffee house lane coffee but was very disappointed when it arrived. It had no roast date on it so I contacted them. They said the batch number was the roast date so roasted on the 10th of Feb. That's a long way off march 24th. This is not speciality coffee just premium coffee. With postage included McCabe's was much better value. Back to McCabe's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Prices in Ponaire have jumped significantly. Paying an extra 20 quid for 3KGs.

anyone know how long WCC generally take to deliver, I made an order on Monday and it's still showing as "pending fulfillment" when I check on it.

Other roasters are usually a bit quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I ordered from them on Sunday. It was delivered yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thats unusual - normally I would find it shipped the next day. Only thing I can think of is they are waiting an extra day or two to do a fresh roast

yeah I contacted them, and they said they were waiting for some green beans to arrive.

Fair enough, but they offered me a full refund, which I wasn't looking for - I just asked them to continue with the order, and they said they'd throw in an extra bag. Half an hour later, I got confirmation it's shipped, they use GLS so I wonder if it will arrive tomorrow.

Thing is, I'm running low on my supply at the moment, so I'll have to go and buy some in the local coffee shop and freeze whatever arrives from WCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I find WCC are usually next day delivery, to Dublin at least. I generally order in the morning and have my beans my lunchtime the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Wow, I must be doing something wrong but my best WCC order was 5 days and worst was 6 days confirmation to delivery. But....they are always as fresh as can be so I don't mind in the slightest.

I do also normally order a selection too so that in itself could slow the process if they are possibly roasting to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Does anyone have a recommendation for good freshly roasted beans that *don't* result in an immediate opening of the C-130 hatch and the squad of brown oompah loompahs skydiving to the porcelain sea?

Have tried lots but haven't found one yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can we keep this thread for coffee bean recommendations, please use the above thread if you have further questions on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Any good discount codes going this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Check the other coffee thread-some codes over there, I'm going for some Artessa Kenyan blend, they have 20% off,

My last two purchases were from Dreambeans, I bought Torero-very tasty-

I really liked Tiger paw though, very light but fullbodied and tastes fruity. The kind that makes me want more-unfortunately I drink too much of it then though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

“You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear “ ….

OK lads I’ve been messing around with coffee for a good year or two now starting with French Press and trying really hard to convince myself that those ashtray washings were nice

Graduated to €70 Timemore C2 grinder and Clever Dripper ‘pour overs ‘ ( a basic kitchen funnel is as good !) ( but I guess a V60 may appear in my kitchen any day )

You can spend a fortune on hardware and tweak and tweak every variable but the bottom line is good coffee beans make good coffee …I was thoroughly enjoying the citrus-ey BearMarket and CoffeeAngel ( and suffering through the supermarket ‘affordables’ and some mediocre ‘proper’ brands that didn’t deliver)but the Bell Lane plum/fig/peach mouth bombs are another level .These are all Colombian with the best two being via Jairo Arcila

I liked their bagged Jairo Arcila before Christmas with the figgy/ plummy flavour but thought the €20 180g tin would be overpriced and not as good .It’s AMAZING!

Fresh ground coffee with mediocre Irish sourced local ‘artisanal’ beans is gonna cost you about €1.20 a cup …( or half that if really penny pinching ) stepping that up to €1.70-€2 means every cup will be a delight of flavours rather than ‘just coffee ‘

Also while usually far better value I think 1kg bags are a false economy unless you’re practically on intra venuous caffeine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My last coffee order had 4 1Kg bags and totaled 7 Kg - I guess I'm intra-venous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭deandean

I orrder three, 1Kg bags of beans at a time. From Ariosa, B&D, or McCabes. I go through one bag a month. But I have noticed that by the time I get to the third bag, the quality has definitely gone off a bit - the coffee is a bit 'dead'.

I just order as required, 2 or 3 250g bags at a time - love to get new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

You definitely should keep it in the freezer. It is the only way to reduce oxidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'm really enjoying it- it tastes quite strong, but it's full bodied and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caffeination Roaster

Thanks Sharing this Information.

Mod : Please contact boards if you would like to advertise.

Post edited by adrian522 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

By way of a lack of update, despite all the experimentation throughout 2020/21 I've been firmly sticking with Artessa.

For my morning coffee during the week I still haven't found anything remotely like their Smooth blend. It's just glorious.

I've also completely eliminated getting coffee out of home now more or less. Paying 3euro for the regular disappointment is just not worth it these days.

I haven't grabbed anything from WCC in a long long time. I don't think I've ever gotten over that glorious Indonesian they had. I think though, it might be time to grab something new from them.

• Advertisement

haha, I love your username/gourmet coffee post combo

Advertisement