Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee effect on Bowels

Options
  • 08-02-2023 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Have often heard people say that you drink a cup of coffee and you are on the throne in no tim

Do you need to drink a certain amount of Coffee or certain intensity for this to happen, has never happened to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I find it works wonders alright. I generally smoke two fags, and have a strong cup of Italian coffee using the stove top coffee makers. Usually gets things moving pretty fast. <snip>

Haven't noticed if different brands have different effects.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have been an avid runner for many years and before any early morning run I make sure to have a very strong cup of coffee before I go. Not only for the extra energy and great flavour, but also for its “laxatical” effect. I’m not a scientist but I am basing this on decades of personal experience.

Incidentally, running without going to the bathroom beforehand has a similar loosening effect and many runners will tell you that it’s not something you want to “fück around and find out” with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Like any food/drink it will impact some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I find if i drink orange Juice and Coffee i can hear my guts gurgling. <snip>

There has actually been quite a bit of scientific study on this topic (rightfully so, as it's quite an important topic).

A 1998 study gave 12 volunteers coffee, decaf coffee, water or a 1000 calorie meal and measured their colonic function in response. Specifically, they used a manometer (a device that measures pressure) to measure the colon’s activity, as there is a pressure change when part of the digestive tract contracts to push food towards the anus. They found that coffee stimulated colon activity just as much as a 1000 calorie meal and that while the effect is lessened with decaffeinated coffee, it’s not gone. Decaf coffee increased colonic activity more than water, just less than caffeinated coffee.

So it's more than just personal experience backing up the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OP what way have you been drinking coffee.

Is it

• instant
    • ground coffee via filter coffee pot
    • ground coffee via cafetiere \ plunger
    • barista or espresso \ nespresso

I'd imagine with the last 2 you are going to get more of a compound \ oils hit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well i use Instant and Percolator and pods depending on my fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Yes. 30min to 1hr after my morning coffee I’m off to the toilet. Very very rare that this is not the case.

I have a bean to cup machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Using nespresso pods.

Are other types more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s the cause, does anyone know? Is it all down to caffeine?

You, certainly, don’t get that “effect” from tea and I’ve never had to suddenly flee to the throne room after a can of coke but coffee is going to have a lot more.

Could you cause an emergency trip to the loo with enough Coca-Cola? Not a “study” I’d be willing to take part in.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

The old Laxwell House certainly does something.

The study I mentioned seems to suggest it's not just caffeine but it does play a role.

My own theory is that there is certain oils in coffee which have a sort of lubricating effect on the bowels, or tickle and stimulate the colon somehow.

I do find the strong expresso I make with the Italian coffee on the stove top coffee pot is a lot more powerful in its laxative effect than if I have a mug of Maxwell house.

Normally the effect is immediate, but there was one or two occassion when nothing happened, I hopped in the van to work, and all of a sudden the pressure quickly built up on the <edit>. Ended up having to pull in to a lay by on the M3 <edit>. So one to be careful with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's a hormone the coffee causes the secretion of active hormones that increase peristalsis or the movement across the digestive system. Some people are very sensitive to the hormone, some not so much hence the variance.

Coffee, especially from bean, is incredibly complex, with huge health benefits. Regular coffee drinkers even have a particular bacteria in their colon that non coffee drinkers don't have. Don't know why everyone doesn't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

My point was really more to do with an impact on certain people.

e.g. some people will have an espresso and have to go straight for the john.

Some people could have a bucket of it and not tweak.

Not that it doesn't work to increase bowel movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

I work shift work and I’m convinced its a placebo affect people experience, I drink inordinate amounts of coffee, from Blend 43 through to espressos, long blacks and milky coffees and rarely see any link to having a brew and dropping the kacks.

The fact most people have a coffee first thing in the morning and <snip> then as well is a prime example of correlation versus causation

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi all,

I'm all for this thread being here. There is some good info and interesting snippets from surveys and experiences:) Can we please try to keep it clean and not be too crude in the descriptions. To avoid reports coming from here. This is the Food & Drink - Coffee and Tea Forum after all.

Thanks guys and Happy posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

It’s seems unlikely but I believe the explanation is that there is ‘soluble fibre’ in it so it’s the same as having a few slices of brown bread or a bowl of muesli

id say it’s prob the acidic nature of coffee. I don’t really get affected by “real” coffee anymore but if I drank instant slop I’d be in bits.

The last time I had instant coffee my stomach felt like it was in a vice grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

For the beenfit of the person that took it upon themself to report yhis thread its actually a phenomenin recognised by medical professionals. I was advised by a dietitian to have coffee to help me with constipation

Yeah it’s a wildly well known topic in medicine. As is the diuretic nature of tea. 😅 I remember in a surgery recovery ward a nurse encouraging a patient to drink some tea to help them go pee so they could go home. Not sure why it was a prerequisite but there you go.

It’s fair enough if you don’t like the thread but just ignore it! I’m drinking a latte while reading it now.. can’t say it’s turned me off my coffee. It’s just business as usual for coffee drinkers. 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

There’s the reasons why anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I no longer drink coffee after a large meal. Bad idea for me.

don’t notice much of an effect otherwise.

Advertisement