Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O Connor RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

15 year gap in their ages so hardly 'grew up together'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Public invited to pay tribute to Sinéad O'Connor at Bray procession

Singer Sinéad O'Connor's funeral cortege will pass through Bray, Co Wicklow on Tuesday before a private burial, following her death in London last month. The exact details of the funeral haven't been made available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

As a Muslim surely she should have been buried as soon as her body was released? And islamic funerals are never private afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Who says she was Muslim at the time of her death? Who knows what her wishes, or indeed her families wishes may be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

The iman of clonskeagh mosque referred to her as a sister, which is how Muslim men address Muslim women? I'd hate to think that after all the crap she went through in life her decision to become a Muslim would not be honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Perhaps she had her own wishes. She was a very a la carte believer, in whatever religion she believed in at any given time...she said herself there were things in Muslim teachings that she didn't agree with.

I think it's time for Sinead's family to do what is right now for themselves and her. Quite frankly, it's not for anyone to judge, tut tut, make assumptions or make comment on how Sinead's final journey transpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Agreed, if this RIP thread is going to become a critique of the funeral arrangements it's time to wind it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The funeral is private. Leave it now. Have a gawk, or pay respects in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I seen that just now on the RTE news. It's a nice tribute but I immediately focused on the fada's. Yes, there's the one on Sinéad, but where's the fada on Éire? Maybe it's a sign of OCD in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I think the "EIRE" is a pre-existing WW2 neutrality marker. Luckily original scribe wasn't punished with 100 lines.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nonsheep7 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've been a big fan of Sinead since her first album came out. I was 17 then and it still remains one of my favourite albums and I think it's her best work.

Always liked her as a musician and person despite finding her behavior odd at times (mainly regarding her relationships and religious views) but never let it bother me as I only cared about her music.

I was saddened to hear of her death as she had a difficult life , died too young and is a great loss to music.

That being said , I've found the coverage in the last week quite nauseating, people coming out of the woodwork to talk about her. Columns in the media beatifying her, saying she was the mother of Ireland etc.

Got so OTT I think Sinead herself would find it strange.

I live in Bray and was at her old house on Saturday and found it very strange how people leave flowers, cards and letters there, strange behaviour to me. One person even left a Mars and a Flake bar there. Very odd.

Whilst it was lovely see such a large crowd for her send off in Bray this morning I do find it weird how people react to celebrity deaths, throwing flowers on a hearse etc when the truth is the majority of the people there probably only know her for Nothing Compares 2 U which is sad as it's by no means her best work.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Different people...everyone grieves in their own way .

The flowers etc I don't know why you have an issue, tbh, it's fairly traditional . (Would say the chocolate was kids ?)

It's why people turn up at funerals and removals for people they hardly knew but just want to do ' something ' .

It might seem illogical to some , annoying to others , but it would be worse if someone's passing was not noticed , remarked upon or lamented , for the family at least .

I think a lot of what was going on in Bray looked to be a bit of a celebration of her life , and if it helps people, and if those people you consider have no entitlement to be there are happy today , what's the issue ?

Sure look at the crowd for Christy Dignam recently .

I would think to be questioning what is a normal part of life and death in Ireland is more strange really .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lovely service today.

Led by Shaykh Umar Al-Qadri.

His speech is up on his website - Islamiccentre.ie

worth reading.

this gives a sense of it -

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinead-o-connor-eulogy-bray-6138616-Aug2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

She was everyone's mother, sister, daughter or aunt. Was a lot more grounded in the community than the likes of Bob Geldof or Enya.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was never a huge fan of her music, while always appreciating her voice, but I bumped into her in Jervis Street of all places. I wasn't looking where I was going and sent her shopping all over the place. In a panic, I was trying to pick up oranges, watermellons, and whatnot and trying to put them back into a hessian bag of some description. Then I looked up to apologise to the lady I bounced off and see that it's bleedin Sinead O'Connor looking back at me. All I could say was "Jaysis, it's yourself".

She smiled a broad smile and gave a genuine laugh and said, "It is!" and then asked me if I was ok. 😄

I was just glad I didn't send her flying, she was tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I will admit that the coverage of Sinead O'Connor's passing sometimes felt a little over the top, but I wonder if much of it was the media sort of making 'reparations' for the many, many articles that were written, in her lifetime, that were 'unkind'. Tbh, they'd cut back on a lot of those articles, in recent times. Possibly out of respect for the troubles she'd been going through.

There was also the timing of her passing. We had weeks of articles and coverage about corporate and political scandals, and her passing, in the middle of all this (as well as many tragedies that occurred recently) made folks sort of pause, and take heed of what is important in life, notably one another.

And O'Connor was a cautionary tale, in many respects. For all the success she had in her lifetime, happiness eluded her. Many of us dream of success, but it doesn't bring happiness. And there were some things that were thrown at her that I wouldn't wish on anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Fairly sickening to see a significantly large proportion there could not resist holding up their phones to film what should be a sombre and respectful affair.

It has lost the plot.

Yes, I saw this through press images, which is a slight contradiction in itself, but there are balances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭prunudo

Way of the world now unfortunately, but is it any different to the countless media organisations who turned up to cover it.

Couple people I know on fb where there and posted some photos and snippet of the hearse passing by. Bit odd, wouldn't be how I'd behave at the removal of somebody I wanted to pay respects too, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

If he does turn up, he’ll sing “Nothing Compares To Me” at the altar and say it was Sinead’s wish that he do so should she pass suddenly and she mentioned this is a private moment between them. Credit ButtersSuki. Hope that it's okay to mention Sinead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I never read a good word about her in about 30 years. There were a few good things said about her before she started attention seeking and rubbing people up the wrong way. But in the last 30 years or so I have only heard people talk about her in derogatory terms. Maybe Gay Byrne was the only one who had a nice word about her.

And now straight out of the mouths of the same people (this includes friends of mine and also the media) they are trying to canonize the woman. They all forget what they said yesterday.

People are just strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

I would have been of the same opinion as a lot of those people up to a couple of years ago.

Then I read a book which completely changed my mind about how I viewed Sinead - I understood her struggles a lot more and was sympathetic to her.

I always loved "Fire on Babylon" - Its a difficult song and not many artists would consider something so searingly honest.

I recommend reading the book to understand how devastating mental illness can be and how it can hit anyone, regardless of their background

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Mozfather anatomized this phenomenon long ago

I'm glad she had a Muslim funeral service if that's "what she would have wanted" and she was as genuine about her conversion as she seemed

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually don't think 56 is too bad an age to go.

Depends what sort of shape you're in physically and mentally I suppose. Sinead had been through a lot in those 56 years.

Perhaps it's just an unconscious reaction by people, to say someone died too young or something. I didn't see any signs that her life was improving with the advancing years. If anything things seemed to be getting gradually worse for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I saw Tony Bennett play a gig when he was 89. A full 33 years older than her. Its been 33 years since Nothing Compares. She had loads of time left.

But yeah, theres a sad inevitability about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

She was a lifelong chain smoker no? People still seem chary of linking premature death to tobacco addiction unless it's through something indisputable like lung cancer...

Really?

I've always felt that people had a lot of affection for her, and when her difficulties were obvious at times I only heard people wish her the best.

I don't recall any real criticism of her tbh except what I've seen on tv after ripping up the picture of the pope, and most of that from Italian Americans for whom an attack on the pope seemed to be an attack on their Identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Advertisement