Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

As I already said, there isn't any evidence from Farage himself -- no words at all -- to back up the allegation levelled against him.

Just saying, "Oh well Farage secretly believes X and Y", is not good enough. It doesn't even attempt to reach an evidential threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I doubt it was successful, it was part of a mini manifesto for Christians so perhaps it was more linked to fears of muslims when it was published a few years ago. It was a cynical move on his part that it is be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

But you’re saying Farage believes in equality for gays while offering no proof whatsoever?

You said,

Farage doesn't himself hold the same views.

So I’m asking you, how do you know? Where is the proof?

I know because I haven't heard Farage say anything to justify the allegation against him. If said evidence surfaces in the meantime, I will change my mind.

But up to now, we have seen no evidence, not a shred of evidence, to justify the claim against Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Have you seen him supporting gay rights in any fashion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭maik3n

This clip where JP gets owned, immediately sprang to mind.

This is the logical conclusion if we follow the rights lead in letting capitalism run unfettered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Weird the only pushback JP gets is when being questioned by a comedian. The religious freedom argument does fall apart when compared to black rights in america. But farage supports religious rights to discriminate but has nothing supposedly against gay people. Strange that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It should be noted that that clip is from over 5 years ago. Peterson has gone full grifter since then. He used to be fairly grounded and sensible.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think this thread can be summerized as - if you want a boutique bank account don't be a twat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd summarise it as something people thinking that everything Nigel Farage says is true, must be parroted as much as possible in an evangelical manner and cannot be questioned.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭Shoog

...and don't be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pretty much the credo of far-right apologists in general. Just replace Farage’s name with whomever gave them the talking point (Trump for example) and watch them run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

Claiming that political de-banking has been occurring for years as some giant conspiracy, but the article literally says that any difficulty with accounts was due to AML rules that were introduced.

There is of course a world of difference between banks closing accounts purely due to someone’s politics and failing AML tests.

Im surprised Nigel is even complaining about AML considering his loss of his account was nothing to do with that.

Well maybe, but suspect Coutts etc have no problem with twats. Ultra wealthy have a knack of becoming them.

I’d be inclined to say; “If you want a boutique bank account, don’t be an obviously public twat who can’t maintain the level of wealth that makes it worth the effort”.

It's the express. I'm honestly surprised there's no mention of lizard people at this point.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm a straight male whose best friend is a lesbian. We've been friends for over 20 years. I was her best man/bridesmaid 😁 at her wedding. I've never been to a Pride parade so there'll be no pictures of me at one. Does that mean I'm not a supporter of gay rights?

H. H. Asquith

That pretty much encapsulates the whole point.

This idea that Farage has to appear at Pride to demonstrate that he doesn't hate gay people is absurd.

Ultimately as I said yesterday, we have no verbal evidence from Farage himself that indicates he's actively homophobic. UKIP and the Brexit Party had many openly gay candidates, approved by Farage himself.

Just because he acknowledges that elderly Christians happen to have old fashioned views on the matter, doesn't mean that Farage holds those views himself.

A poster queried if a photo exists of Farage at a Pride parade. I'm just showing how unlikely it is that such a photo would exist.

I shouldn't have put in the last sentence so apologies for that.

It was a suggestion. They were looking for something from Farage that would indicate he doesn't hate LGBT people.

I live in Brighton & Hove for nearly three years and attended one Pride. Too much noise and drink for my liking but that's my issue.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I'm fine with the noise and the drink, it's the gays that put me off. 🤣🤣🤣

Not really a gotcha but here's Farage saying he isn't bothered by two gays kissing in the park but that there are people who are bothered and both sides should be listened to. Farage doesn't seem to be anti-gay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

weasel words. That’s also how Lindsay Graham convinced himself to go on TV and push the big lie ‘I don’t necessarily believe this but many on my side do and this is what they believe so let’s both sides this’

its not a very strong deflection BC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Today there are concentration camps in communist China but nobody is going to boycott them as they want the cheap goods, it doesn’t suit the left wing to call this out as it’s an extreme leftwing government doing it. Remember ‘free Tibet’, that all but disappeared too.

Terror attacks today are pretty much all Jihad related now. These are far more concerning than the right wing which has risen in popularity as direct result of left wing open borders policies.

As bad as Farage is, he’s right to call out the boat loads of Muslim men land on the shores of England and landing in Ireland too (by plane). Jihad attacks will surely follow.

The majority of terror attacks come from the far right. The China whataboutery is irrelevant.

H. H. Asquith

Beat me to it Shoog.

Yes, somewhat local to myself up here in the frozen North a far-right bell-end of the hightest order, lived out his gaming commando fantasies and mowed down scores of unarmed kids for the unforgivable crime of being members of the Labour Party's youth club. Some of the worst violence seen in the country since the last shower of far-right bell-ends inhabited the place (the Nazi Germans). It's also lovely to be reminded regularly of thefar-right bell-end while commuting through Oslo to see the still bomded out government quarter so badly damaged (they're still trying to rebuild it).

The threat isn't specifically, Christians, right-wingers, left-wingers or Islam. It's extremeism. It is whatever bullsh*t notion got into the head of Breivik or people like him, to end the lives of innocent people simply because you managed to "other" their humanity away. This is why we dislike Farage. This is why we are wary of him and his gaggle of co-shouters on GB-News. They other people professionally.

They *other* people to the point of giving their viewers fuel to discriminate them. They other people to the point where is is fine to watch them and their children drown in the waters of the Channel. They other people to point where they can shoot a summer camp of defenseless kids, and still see themselves as a some kind of demented "hero" in their own personal crusade.

When I call Farage "vile", it is this amoung other things, that fuels my opinion of him and his rotten ilk.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

The Sligo murders are before the Courts

This thread is about Farage and his banking arrangements. Not Islam. Not Muslims. Not terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was under the impression Coutts offered Farage an account with their bank for the plebs, NatWest. Is that no longer true or is Farage just too good to mix with the scum?

Farage said that Coutts let him keep his accounts. As far as I know Farage himself is the source of that, so I'd treat that information with the amount of salt it deserves.

I kind of imagine that the operational systems of Coutts are mostly just NatWest systems re-badged with Coutts logos (and possibly a seperate Bank ID). Coutts have been in the NatWest Group since at least the 1960's, so it would surprise me if they weren't fully intergrated with them on some level.

Due to that belief, I suspect that a Coutts account is really just a Premium NatWest account, rebadged with Coutts logos, but also including all of the Financial Butlers & Services we've discussed here before. That's probably why they offered Farage a Premium NatWest account. For them, it might have been as simple as opening a dropdown menu and selecting "NatWest Premium" instead of "Coutts" on the account type. Hell, it might have been so intergrated that he could have held onto his account numbers and currently active cards.

They offered him this but no, Farage: "Man of the People", insisted on sharing a bank with The King. A bank that would push his investments around for him...or what's left of his investments given that he can't maintain the savings threshold. If it is true that Coutts kept him on, I kind of wonder if they will start to pare back the services he can access "for free". If he can't maintain the savings or repayments nessisary to bank with them, I'd wonder if they'd insist on charging for his investment butlering. No idea how Coutts do this, but imagine they make something out of the effort of pampering the financial needs of their customers. Could be that bank charges at Coutts are pretty high, and while super-rich folk mightn't notice this, a person loosing their wealth might not be too keen?

Might be that Farage will eventually, (and very quietly) move over to NatWest when he can no longer afford to simply hold a Coutts account.

Post edited by Rawr on

Seems as if the government has acted, after Jeremy Hunt last week called on the FCA to investigate banks and account closures.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) will write to more than 25 of Britain’s largest banks and building societies on Wednesday requesting details on account closures.

The lenders will be asked to reveal how many bank accounts have recently been closed, suspended or denied and the reasons why those services have been refused. The regulator has given banks just over two weeks to submit their responses by Aug 25, which will then be analysed and published by mid-September.

Lenders will also be required to disclose how many complaints they have received from blacklisted customers, and to outline the issues surrounding freedom of expression.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome from this investigation, and how many closures were on grounds of personal and political beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It'll be interesting to see the outcome from this investigation, and how many closures were on grounds of personal and political beliefs.

The answer will be absolutely none , just as Farages account wasn't closed "for his political beliefs".

Advertisement